Applauding Records

macca

There was more than Richard consulted on the day of filming and throughout filming, especially about the clapping.

Im sure there were more people involved Chalky, I do remember Richard getting a call out on the mike about it.

I think that getting an authentic feel is important, but real anoraks might get precious about every little detail, Im not that bothered, in the grand scheme of things, i reckon they will get the feel of it right, hope so anyway.

Will probably going up to the KGH for the preview in a few weeks time.

Does anyone know if its a full screening? I think someone on here said it was just more trailers, wont be going if its just for that.

Social source share

Every time you see a so called Northern Soul clip ,its some bloke with his hands on the floor with his legs in the air ,yes it did happen, but there was much more than is ,if you weren't there ,and you see this flippin rubbish  ,you would  think that's how it was. but it just bloody wasen't  , :wicked:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Every time you see a so called Northern Soul clip ,its some bloke with his hands on the floor with his legs in the air ,yes it did happen, but there was much more than is ,if you weren't there ,and you see this flippin rubbish  ,you would  think that's how it was. but it just bloody wasen't  , :wicked:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Very true that Baz, the whole thing us usually misrepresented or just caricatured, they say no publicity is bad publicity, I dont think so in this case, rather not see anything at all than all that.

The most authentic Ive seen up to now is probably the play, Once Upon A Time in Wigan, they had the feel right.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Will probably going up to the KGH for the preview in a few weeks time.

Does anyone know if its a full screening? I think someone on here said it was just more trailers, wont be going if its just for that.

I doubt if it is a full screening

All queries keep saying the film is not ready for release and it is still being edited

Social source share

Pete,

I know it's a fact I listened to your tapes I've got others too, maybe Frankie Crocker should'nt have mentioned the "film" in the post sometimes it just seems like everyone on here wants it to fail!

I don't :)......

......If a D.J pleasantly surprises me with THEIR OWN initiative I naturally applaud it, of which obviously goes hand in hand (ged it?) with liking the tune - I applaud the D.J's choice, and timing..........I used to clap loads........

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

One thing they definitely got right was the temperature.  It was redders in there.

saw a movie on sat, 'weekender' about manchester in 1990, thought this might be good, and it was just sooooo wrong. everyone's bone dry in the club scenes, really spoilt it for me and I lost interest after that.

Social source share

Dont recall clapping after a record back in the day but as Pete has pointed out it happend , Dont get the clapping thing now all the DJ has done is play a record he,s not performed it has he .

As for the film who cares .

I remember the clapping back in the day being partly for the quality of the sound but also appreciation for the DJ. Today's rounds of applause continue this trend but there is also an acknowledgment for innovation eg Butch's latest find, the record that captures the moment eg Jackie Wilson's 'Because Of You' and when the floor is chock-full of vinyl connoisseurs eg 100 Club.
Social source share

Dont recall clapping after a record back in the day but as Pete has pointed out it happend , Dont get the clapping thing now all the DJ has done is play a record he,s not performed it has he .

As for the film who cares .

No a D.J doesn't 'just play a record', he has read the moment, got the tempo right, and 'hit the spot' with that someone who applauds - that is why they applaud (unless it's a slow clap) :D Of course anyone can play a record, but there's more to D.Jing than plonking a record on, then standing waiting for it to finish (Well, there is to me anyway)

As for the film? I think Tony does :yes: :wink:  

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I danced to a record a couple of weeks ago,walked off the dance floor,applauding the tune,the dj, and having the balls to play it.Problem is i can't remember what it was. :lol:

Was it the snake Kev? :dash2: l0l

Social source share

I put one up not so long ago which I had labelled as October 73, some said it was slightly later but it's still the earliest I know of.  You can find it in the audio video section if interested.

gotta be the earliest unless someones turns up a first night tape..i taped an allniter in april '74 (long since busted & lost) but taped another in June '74..i have it somewhere..but can recall it contained Kev Roberts,R Searling and Pep playing many classics and even motown (one way out) and Kev playing Ila Vanns 'You made me this way and The Free 'Takin it away'(took me years just to figure the title/artist) plus Connie Clarke, cool jerk '68 inst,Wombat,Yvonne Baker,Hollywood persuaders,Instigation,Stagemasters,..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!