Stolen Records

kimbo

To say I am double-gutted is an understatement.  Discovered, after checking my collection many times that 3 records have been stolen from my home by one of my friends.  I have no idea which one, because I value and trust them all, or I thought I could.  All my friends are from the soul scene, some I have known from the mid 70's and others for over 10 years.  Who would suddenly change, and steal from our home? 

My records are not kept in the lounge, so they have only been out 3-4 times in the last year.  I never lend my records out, and I have checked my small collection many, many times since my stomach turned as I realised they had been taken. 

I know they are missing because my wife Lisa started cataloguing them over the new year (2013) and

The Velours - I'm Gonna Change - MGM Demo

Johnny Moore - Walk Like A Man - Date Demo

Gil Blanding - Rules  - Ready

were all listed at that time.

Have they been sold to innocent people? I don't know what to think. I know by the amount that was stolen that it was an opportunity theft.   I have got my head around the fact that I won't see them again, but the bigger picture is, I want to know who is not welcome in my house again. 

My friends who come round can be counted on 2 hands.  I think that the records were taken in January/February this year, but other than that I have no idea who would take them.  They are my friends!

The Velours is one of my all-time favourite records.  Johnny Moore has sentimental value it reminds me of my best mate Mick who was killed in the 70's.  Gil Blanding is just a good tune.  I can't tell if any others have been taken, although the cataloguing is now finished.  I have been through my collection many times to check that there are not 2 records in 1 sleeve etc.

Have they been sold?  Have they been kept?  If you have acquired any of these records in the last year, please pm me with any names.  All I am interested in now is not having a thieving bastard in my home.

Cheers for reading this.

Kimbo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To say I am double-gutted is an understatement.  Discovered, after checking my collection many times that 3 records have been stolen from my home by one of my friends.  I have no idea which one, because I value and trust them all, or I thought I could.  All my friends are from the soul scene, some I have known from the mid 70's and others for over 10 years.  Who would suddenly change, and steal from our home? 

My records are not kept in the lounge, so they have only been out 3-4 times in the last year.  I never lend my records out, and I have checked my small collection many, many times since my stomach turned as I realised they had been taken. 

I know they are missing because my wife Lisa started cataloguing them over the new year (2013) and

Have they been sold to innocent people? I don't know what to think. I know by the amount that was stolen that it was an opportunity theft.   I have got my head around the fact that I won't see them again, but the bigger picture is, I want to know who is not welcome in my house again. 

My friends who come round can be counted on 2 hands.  I think that the records were taken in January/February this year, but other than that I have no idea who would take them.  They are my friends!

The Velours is one of my all-time favourite records.  Johnny Moore has sentimental value it reminds me of my best mate Mick who was killed in the 70's.  Gil Blanding is just a good tune.  I can't tell if any others have been taken, although the cataloguing is now finished.  I have been through my collection many times to check that there are not 2 records in 1 sleeve etc.

Have they been sold?  Have they been kept?  If you have acquired any of these records in the last year, please pm me with any names.  All I am interested in now is not having a thieving bastard in my home.

Cheers for reading this.

Kimbo

Sorry to here that mate, I hope you get them back or find out who took 'em. It's a shame not to have your records out and be able to drop tracks on the deck whenever you feel like it. If you hadn't had your tunes out the night I was round yours some years back I would never have discovered the killer Limitations on Bacone. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That is not good mate. really sorry to hear that.

It's not just the records, which in themselves also obviously have sentimental value and associations, but it's the whole thing about who stole from you and who can and can't trust. Not a pleasant situation to be put in. 

Have you considered finding a way to ask all of your friends if it was them - but in a way that will not offend the innocent?

I know that is easy to say and hard to do, but if one of my good friends asked me if I had nicked their records - because there were several potential suspects and they just wanted to narrow it down - there is no way I would be offended or think any worse of them, if I was innocent.

Good luck with it mate  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Had that happen to me many years ago had a Chuck Holiday on Gloria taken by a friend again never could prove it  but he knows that I know and I'm afraid that's the only way I got any satisfaction, it's horrible to think that someone you know has done this to you that's the hardest thing to come to terms with all you can hope is they have bad luck, people like this are firstly not soul fans and secondly not your friend, really feel for you pal.

Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Jordi, long time no see hope you ok. Thanks for the reply. Richard thank you as well, yes have spoken to friends that weren't there and put all names in a hat so to speak but all came up blank same as me. Thing is if it was money they were short of, and I think those toons were what, £400 say, I would rather have a dented pride asking for a lend than being found out a thief.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1
  • Sir I have had some records stolen in the last couple of months from my sales at venues two of which are very rare those that know me know that I am always fair and do a good deal I've not let this be known for a while publicly as I've got people looking for them i'll tell you what when I find out who's had them and I'm being serious i'll find out where they live and get them collected by a real fucing maniac that owes my late Dad a debt one's on Strata and the others did my baby call believe me the man who will come calling is an evil Demon from hell/
Social source share

Had that happen to me many years ago had a Chuck Holiday on Gloria taken by a friend again never could prove it  but he knows that I know and I'm afraid that's the only way I got any satisfaction, it's horrible to think that someone you know has done this to you that's the hardest thing to come to terms with all you can hope is they have bad luck, people like this are firstly not soul fans and secondly not your friend, really feel for you pal.

Mark Bicknell.

Cheers Mark

Social source share

• Sir I have had some records stolen in the last couple of months from my sales at venues two of which are very rare those that know me know that I am always fair and do a good deal I've not let this be known for a while publicly as I've got people looking for them i'll tell you what when I find out who's had them and I'm being serious i'll find out where they live and get them collected by a real fucing maniac that owes my late Dad a debt one's on Strata and the others did my baby call believe me the man who will come calling is an evil Demon from hell/

Good luck mate hope the demon goes a callin atb Kimbo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

I don't know you but you have my sympathy.

Similar thing happened to me many years ago, only involving a lot more records. Obviously someone I knew but no way of knowing who it was. Horrible feeling. More or less killed off my enthusiasm for the scene, I'm sad to say, and sent me into a bit of a general decline....Try not to let it get to you is all I can say.

Best wishes.

Social source share

Hey Kim

REALLY NOT FCUKING NICE, especially when its probably someone you call a friend :wicked: .

I only have the Johnny Moore outing on a Date issue, looked the other two up up on UT, both bloody good tunes which I've not heard before.

Listen M8, I actually caught, red handed 40 years ago, some barsteward trying to lift All Turned On by Mr Wilson on Ric Tic  (WHEN it was a major tune) made out he was having laugh, BUT I knew, and still know the the man, and he weren't doing it for a laugh :wicked: .

See both yourself and Lisa Saturday, know how you're feeling, its what I felt like when JM came and pillaged my collection and paid me a pittance for about 200 discs that inc In my lonely room (Velvelettes on VIP), More love (Gospel Classics/UK chess), Make me yours (ZZ Hill/UK Action). You know what I think 'cause weve talked about it, really hope you suss who it was out 'cause it's going to bug you till you do.

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

look's like I have a lead on the strata copy and I'm telling you if your reading this I'm sending a maniac to your house you can be the hardest man in England but you won't believe what a traveller can do to you mate.

Social source share

I DONT KNOW YOU MATE BUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HOW CAN A MATE STEAL FROM A MATE IF WE LOOK BACK OVER THE PAST YR HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE READ THIS SOUGHT OF THINGS ITS TOTALLY OUT OF ORDER EVEN WORSE IF YOU SUSPECT A FRIEND I HAD 2 STOLEN OVER THE PAST YR THEY WEREN'T EXPENSIVE BUT ITS THE PRINCIPLE  I KNOW WERE MINE WENT BUT I CANT PROVE IT BUT HE WILL SLIP UP ONE DAY I BELIEVE EVERY DOG HAS ITS DAY .I REALLY HOPE YOU GET THEM BACK MATE 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Now got a name so that's that, I'll give an address so you can send it back to me 17 moira road , donisthorpe , swadlincote , Derbyshire DE 23 7 Qd  you have 7 day's and I'm being very fare

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

one of mine is the passionettes on strata it has a faded label and some markings on the vinyl it may be in a plastic cover stricktest confidence chaps and no police involvement.

Social source share

Had my copy of "baby don't you weep" (only a boot, but that's not the point) stolen by somebody i thought that i could trust,years ago. It made me more attentive to my boxes with everybody (even people that i would trust with my life), so i know how you feel. Hope that you get them all back.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Don't know where the stats come from but 1 in every 6 people is supposed to be a thief.

Last year I decided it was time the Isonics had another spin but it wasn't where it should be. Paranoid double & triple check search ensued until I had to come to the awful conclusion that it must have been lifted from my box by one of my guest DJs - all of whom I had counted as friends. Same story with a mint Montclairs demo.

All boxes have industrial strength locks on them these days.

Hope you find them Kim.

Social source share

Kimbo , I really do feel your pain over the lose of your records . Records can be replaced , where as friendship cannot . Personally if someone who I could call a true friend had done anything other than be a friend to me , then it would wrench my heart out . I had a problem with a friend who I would have trusted with my life , he pinched quite a sizeable amount of money off me ,  in a moment of weakness or just pure greed , who knows . I still found it very hard to severe my contacts with him , I tried hard to forgive but in the end he went around bragging it and telling people I was a soft touch ( far from the truth  to be sure ) .

I do still cherish my close friends , but the one closest ,and to whom I would sell every record I own to help him is my old buddy . My dog Diesel .

Very cool name for a pooch is Diesel, Mak  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kimbo , I really do feel your pain over the lose of your records . Records can be replaced , where as friendship cannot . Personally if someone who I could call a true friend had done anything other than be a friend to me , then it would wrench my heart out . I had a problem with a friend who I would have trusted with my life , he pinched quite a sizeable amount of money off me ,  in a moment of weakness or just pure greed , who knows . I still found it very hard to severe my contacts with him , I tried hard to forgive but in the end he went around bragging it and telling people I was a soft touch ( far from the truth  to be sure ) .

I do still cherish my close friends , but the one closest ,and to whom I would sell every record I own to help him is my old buddy . My dog Diesel .

That is a top top reply Mak. You think exactly as I do. The last sentence is so so true as well. That has made my day. Everyone has a conscience and I think it would kick in after reading Maks post.

Give Diesel a good ol rub behind the ears from me. My Dog is called Reggie (lab x Heinz) after the Krays.... atb Kimbo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It may be a good idea to invest in an ultra violet marker and light for your prized vinyl.  I know it won't stop thieves taking them in the first place but it will be easier to prove original ownership should the vinyl resurface.  It is a shame anybody should have to do this on the scene, but obviously there's a few light fingered f*ckers out there who think nothing of betraying peoples trust in them.

Social source share

Really feel for the guys on here.  I used to help run a Friday Northern Night in a small market town called Evesham back in the day and everyone knew everyone, but it still didn`t stop someone taking some of my records whilst I had my back to my boxes.  Let`s hope we all get the Christmas we deserve...

Social source share

Its the friendship side of things that's hard to take.To steal in your own living room.? Cant understand it .To steal at all is beyond me.

I had Lee Rogers," Same things"/ Sock some love power" taken out of my box by a friend.Part of me wanted to confront him,part to let it lie.It wasn't the expense,cos its relatively cheap record.

A sad thread.

Kimbo,hope you get them back.

Simon,,,i wouldn't like to be in the guy's shoes. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Very sad to hear about this. It's b*llocks frankly that this stuff is allowed to go on!

Here's a better story for you, when I DJed abroad at a gig last year I left a Mark IV "If you can't tell me anything good" under the deck by mistake (1210 Technics). By the time I'd landed back in the UK the promotor had rung one of the other UK guys to say that they had found the 45 when they were clearing up from the venue and did he know who's it was? Checked my box and :ohmy: my copy wasn't in there....and so the promotor posted it back to me. Top fella.

Thing is it's not a record I play very often so I probably wouldn't have noticed it missing for months probably had they not been honest.

So remember there are plenty of good people are honest folk on the scene too who do the right thing. :thumbsup:

To steal off anyone is low but a mate ,for me that`s as low as it gets.Seems to be happening a lot of late,trouble is it`s gonna make people who dj/ big collectors  became paranoid about either leaving there boxes unattended or letting people in the record room. Sad really :( .

I can`t believe Steve,you could forget a record like that missing from the collection  :huh: .

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Guest scottie

in the last couple of month ive heard more stories about stolen records than i have in the last 10 years absolutely sickening.seems like a few of our fellow soulies have gone over to the dark side hope ye get to the bottom of it kimbo pal.plus if they`ve been sold on got to feel for the buyer who may have bought them in good faith but if you have bought them you`ve got to give em back

Edited by scottie
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I  think anyone stealing anothers prized records that they invest more than money itself in is a right low down c..t to put it plainly Kimbo is one of the scenes good guys completely dedicated and very much exemplifies the true soul brother spirit as those who know him are in no doubt.The times I have been to his house you couldnt beat the hospitality of him and his mrs well liked and respected by many folk.Kimbo mate you know how much this hurts and angers the folk who know you ,especially Mark,Paul etc when discovered whoever it was is going to be persona non grata at a lot of places to say the very least of what they should expect.

Record thefts are bad wherever they happen,at a soul night,nighter,record bar , out of a car but the ones that happen from your own home must bite the worst as it could only be a person  you invited in.The worst time of the year for something like this to happen or to be discovered may well be Christmass.See you soon mate atb Manus

Ps Hope they are found out soon and the records if possible get back to you mate along with the same wishes for others on here who have been the victim of such thefts,am I just getting older with rose coloured specs ,I know there have always been thefts of records including back then seventies,etc but didnt seem to hear about as many as I have done over this tear or so.?Whatever its a trend that if on the up needs to be sorted out.

Social source share

in the last couple of month ive heard more stories about stolen records than i have in the last 10 years absolutely sickening.seems like a few of our fellow soulies have gone over to the dark side hope ye get to the bottom of it kimbo pal.plus if they`ve been sold on got to feel for the buyer who may have bought them in good faith but if you have bought them you`ve got to give em back

Hi Scottie, thanks for the post mate. Hope your doin ok. If someone has brought them in good faith its more about who they came from. If someone did give them back (not the thief) I wouldnt see them out of pocket as long as a name came with them. Cheers Mate have a good xmas. Kimbo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I  think anyone stealing anothers prized records that they invest more than money itself in is a right low down c..t to put it plainly Kimbo is one of the scenes good guys completely dedicated and very much exemplifies the true soul brother spirit as those who know him are in no doubt.The times I have been to his house you couldnt beat the hospitality of him and his mrs well liked and respected by many folk.Kimbo mate you know how much this hurts and angers the folk who know you ,especially Mark,Paul etc when discovered whoever it was is going to be persona non grata at a lot of places to say the very least of what they should expect.

Record thefts are bad wherever they happen,at a soul night,nighter,record bar , out of a car but the ones that happen from your own home must bite the worst as it could only be a person  you invited in.The worst time of the year for something like this to happen or to be discovered may well be Christmass.See you soon mate atb Manus

Ps Hope they are found out soon and the records if possible get back to you mate along with the same wishes for others on here who have been the victim of such thefts,am I just getting older with rose coloured specs ,I know there have always been thefts of records including back then seventies,etc but didnt seem to hear about as many as I have done over this tear or so.?Whatever its a trend that if on the up needs to be sorted out.

Cheers Manus, hope to see you soon. Kimbo.

Social source share

Hi Kimbo

I was told before this post and still can't believe a friend (thief) could do such a thing to a 100% committed soul boy.  You took me to me first soul night and nighter and you are a top mate to me and my wife.  I really hope you learn who the thief is although  it is little compared to losing the records but at least you know who NOT to call a friend anymore and certainly not invite into your kingdom again.

Space Cadet

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Kimbo

I was told before this post and still can't believe a friend (thief) could do such a thing to a 100% committed soul boy.  You took me to me first soul night and nighter and you are a top mate to me and my wife.  I really hope you learn who the thief is although  it is little compared to losing the records but at least you know who NOT to call a friend anymore and certainly not invite into your kingdom again.

Space Cadet

Cheers see you at the go-go or should that be bistro ? kimbo

Social source share

I can relate to that 100%, only ours is called Stanley :)

this is indeed a sad post, and people who do this are just scum,and have no part on our scene,i can also relate to this post, the only thing that has made me smile ,is my own pooch ,who i,d do anything for,he,s my best friend.also  stanley.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kimbo

Saddened to hear that this could happen to anyone in their own home,let alone you my friend.Having to be suspicious of anyone and everyone is a real pisser and i hope you get to the bottom of this.We have all been around for a long,long time mate and when identified they will have nothing.Chin up mate.

Trev 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Cheers for reading this.

Kimbo

Hello. Kimbo sorry to hear this, I know what records meen to people like yourself. Love to you and the Lovely Lady. see you in 3 weeks

Dave n Trace

Social source share

Kimbo, Just seen this, gutted for you mate, you and Lisa  are what the scene is all about, two of the nicest and most genuine of people I've had the pleasure of mucking about with. It must hurt to of been done over by a friend, especially a soulie friend, we're supposed to be better than the norm and respect each other (aren't we)???.

I feel for you bud.

John

Hi John hope to meet up  with you again in 2014. Thanks for the words mate. Respect. Have a peaceful xmas and soulful new year. K.

Trev cheers mate spread the word for me.

Dave & Tracy see you soon. Thanks for posting. Had some pm's from people so keeping open mind.

Social source share

Cheers for reading this.

Kimbo

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...GUTTED is word that is meant to represent your feelings & emotions of loss of something or someone you have loved dearly, something very precious & meaningful that can't just be replaced, it is a word that describes a scenario of a traumatic event or situation of LOSS.

KIMBO'S statement is a familiar one to any trained Counsellor,  The LOSS Factor is a fact of modern life as we trust those people who have a similar passion & shared common interest, LOSS has 3 parts  the past = sadness, the present = anger, the future = fear, these 3 emotional states will jump from  one emotional state to another in an instant, and have an impact on the psyche that will change the personality of the individual,

The time spent in this emotional state can not be measured it can last a lifetime,

In the situation that KIMBO faces there is no quick solution to fix the problem of trust, a period of time passing will delimit the good guys from the bad, I feel for anyone in this situation of un soul like situation, that is part of our scene, and hope he finds the culprit sooner than later :g: DAVE K

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Cheers for reading this.

Kimbo

Kimbo very sorry to hear that mate, problem with this is twofold. Losing choonage. But worse still. Stolen by so called friends. The only silver linning is that at least these are not irraplaceable (I know thats not the point) But it's not going to cost an arm and a leg to replace them. You know whats more difficult? is Who do you decide to trust in your home now -tough one Glad it's not me that has to figure this one out Good luck

DJ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!