Tmg Or Us Original, Which Would You Go For Generally?

:yes:  :yes: You can only buy, Marvin Gaye's / Little Darling on Tamla for me, or you miss them Fantastic strings that aren't on the British. From those days of pinching TMG's records from my Sister! I've been hooked on Motown. But over the years I have replaced most of the British for the US copies, they our good enough to hang on the wall and just look at. Rod :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

gonna throw in a swerve ball here, how about these? love them little red Bullet stickers!!

Very Nice Mate. Love these from Australia.

We are comparing UK to USA Releases but let us not forget that our friends in other parts of the world did their bit regarding Motown releases.

We are reminded daily via the Internet, just how far motowns influence has spread over the years.

There are many collecting opportunities to be had at the moment, Think outside the box and have fun :)

Social source share

I love labels, they are fascinating to my eyes and I do understand the collecting of the UK releases. But, when it comes to get the issue to have and hold on to, first issues should get my preference. Then you have this picture sleeve factor that can make another point in needing to own. My Scanner is out of use, so capture those few from the net;

post-19710-0-61361100-1394353234_thumb.p

post-19710-0-67698500-1394353491_thumb.p

post-19710-0-14662300-1394356511_thumb.p

and many more off course that make those Holland pressings highly collectable even amongst those not into soul music (sic). And as I point out in another topic, I once compared my US release with those Holland ones as I barely never hold on to "doubles" and keep only one, and they do sound alike very close.

While on those TMGs things, they do sound "clean" (too clean) like the Funkbrothers were muffled away somehow during the re-mastering process. Quoting them on what makes the funk ? : "it's the grease on the chord". I like my audio sound right, and that is a tricky thing when you do want to hear it from it's original format that can vary so much from quality styrene (hiss issue) to cheap and poorly produced product on low-fi vinyl (woof issue). It does takes forgiveness (upgrades), money (investment) and time (yearsss) to set up a sound system to do justice to those dearly beloved plastic music mediums. I always understood that one of the major argument for the pros of the TMGs was that on hi-end audio systems, it sounded "purer". Agreed, but I like my sound whole and fat & greasy with it. As it should be IMHO.

I'm living in Belgium and I do love to collect Belgium presses (for patriotic reasons :rofl: ) and neighborhood countries when they are in any particular (even ridiculous) way good looking and well released sound wise.

post-19710-0-31014800-1394356862_thumb.p this could have been the cover of a '78 new wave or power pop band

But I'm not bothered to have them all. Saying this; is there any non-brits out there collecting (I mean collecting not just having a few) the TMGs ? I never encounter one myself. On the other hand I've met for other good reasons British Sue collectors that were not British. And even one guy, doing it the other way around; collecting all the US releases that came out on British Sue. That is because it's a good "witness", flashy label and company sleeve label of the mod era at it's peak in the early-mid 6Ts.

BTW, I'm not collecting anything for "it's everything" as such. I'm just trying to get hold of what I want the way I want it (and that can be tricky at times) and it is with the sole aim to play them home or out. So I'm not keeping what I don't play anymore and so I'm not having everything in any particular category. I actually respect those who do so since it is interesting for informative reasons also. But I do not agree (while not getting in an argument) with the "hype" around the "safe" in every way aspect of the pros of the TMG's criteria. And finally like said prior here, I do understand the whole thing around for those who got into this music picking up first those British release in the shops and still have a kick about them.

Social source share

Well put Carts, I see what you mean. The black label with that '45' and the little bit of text near the hole is great - and I imagine a full set of them would be something pretty wonderful.

KT ? Kentish Town pressing plant, if I'm not mistaken, (someone will tell me if I am ,no doubt)

Dave

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I found this handy guide on a Beatles site:

attachicon.gifTax Codes .jpg

These were the codes for the different rates of Purchase Tax weren't they? Purchase Tax was the predecessor of VAT. It seemed a far more sensible tax to me but one of the conditions of joining the "European club" was that we went over to VAT

Social source share

Generally UK earlier Motown 45's much dearer than the US issues, and probably a better sound on the British 45's, but if you want true Soul originals, the US stuff has to be it (but if you want genuine 1st issues be careful, loads of US Tamla / Motown / Gordy etc re-issued several times in the 60's / early 70's ) - at one time, I had 7 copies of Brenda Holloway 'When i'm gone ' - and I seem to remember there were 5 different label variations !!

Social source share

Generally UK earlier Motown 45's much dearer than the US issues, and probably a better sound on the British 45's, but if you want true Soul originals, the US stuff has to be it (but if you want genuine 1st issues be careful, loads of US Tamla / Motown / Gordy etc re-issued several times in the 60's / early 70's ) - at one time, I had 7 copies of Brenda Holloway 'When i'm gone ' - and I seem to remember there were 5 different label variations !!

Often as a result of dirrent pressing plants/distributors...who used old label copy in stock, while others had new designs.

Social source share

Guest east rob

Nothing compares to a box full of uk especialy demos,started selling off all my imports bout 2 years ago and now buy uk only.Is it expensive very, is it worth it yes well imho.

did you sell the okeh demos Andy?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!