What Was The Slowest Northern Tune?

Guest martinsbox

• Replies 86
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi there, I have heard all these played at a Northern Soul Venue and believe me the night was better for hearing them.

Big Dee Irwin - You satisfy my needs - Rotate or if you're really fortunate UK Stateside.

The Phantom - Come back to me - Karisma

The Autographs - Sad sad feeling - Joker or Loma.

Johnny Truitt - Just the other day - Abet.

and finally one I played myself at the the 3 Greyhounds Charity All Dayer, the awesome,

Maxine Brown - Seems you've forsaken my love - Epic

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, I played the Phantom out at the Greatstone alongside Johnny Truit .Hows about

Shep Grant "you found my lonely heart a home" Oscar Perry .." Big Sam"...Ambassadors......."too young for me"ATB ...Are you and Jude venturing to the Greatstone.ATB Stevie

Social source share

I'm also sat here scratching my head wondering how some of the records mentioned can me mentioned in a thread about the slowest record ever on the northern scene :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been thinking exactelly the same :lol:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

rowly pointed me in this direction ..... anyone mentioned ray dullard "the giffer" :thumbsup:

Don't you mean Gay Rillard " The Duffer"? And, yes he has been metioned but not under his real name.

Martin

Social source share

Well I played (on more than one occassion) at Allanton Johnny Burton Slave Girl and Maurice Long _ I Dont Love You Any More (must be the slowest), not sure people would call them Northern mind.

Was always fond of throwing one or two slow in the middle rather than at end, normally got at least one person dancing (although the bribes were a bit expensive!!) On reading this thread I think I have played about 60% of them out at some point at Allanton, maybe I did play too many slow things after all!! blush.gif

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Hi Alan, I played the Phantom out at the Greatstone alongside Johnny Truit .Hows about

Shep Grant "you found my lonely heart a home" Oscar Perry .." Big Sam"...Ambassadors......."too young for me"ATB ...Are you and Jude venturing to the Greatstone.ATB Stevie

Hi Steve, hope you are well mate, we are hoping to get to the Greatstone soon hopefully this next one if not the next one, we haven't been out at all since the 3 Greyhound All Dayer and we missed you that day as you rode off in to the sun on your bike. Unfortunately I haven't been too good and I am due to go in hospital shortly but I'll tell you more when I see you as I don't want to bore everyone on Soul Source, give my regards to the Greatstone team and put them in the picture for me.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Well I played (on more than one occassion) at Allanton Johnny Burton Slave Girl and Maurice Long _ I Dont Love You Any More (must be the slowest), not sure people would call them Northern mind.

Was always fond of throwing one or two slow in the middle rather than at end, normally got at least one person dancing (although the bribes were a bit expensive!!) On reading this thread I think I have played about 60% of them out at some point at Allanton, maybe I did play too many slow things after all!! :rolleyes:

Jock

Jock, I always loved you playing Jack Mongomery, "don`t turn your back on me ", at Allanton.

That must be a contender for one of the slowest but certainly one of the best ya auld Hibbie that ye are.

Andy Dennison

Social source share

some of my preferred slow shufflers are:

1. Maybe Never-Jimmy Barnes-Sue

2. One Woman-Jo Ann Garrett-Duo

3. Is The Way to Treat a Girl-Hesitations-GWP

4. Would You Believe-William Hunt-Streamside

5. It's An Uphill Climb to the Bottom-Walter Jackson-Okeh (I know the guy who's mother wrote this song)

6. Foolish Dreamer-Fiestas-Old Town

7. Language of Love-Jeff Dale-Atco

8. I Ain't Got the Love-Ambassadors-Arctic

9. Dreams-Lovelace Watkins-Sue

10. I Don't Deny It Girl-Lornettes-Gallio

11. Believe In Me-Jerry Butler-Vee Jay

12. A Toast to You-Louis Curry-MS

I could go on for days...

Another one that I like a lot is "Cry No More" Parliaments on Cabell. Dave, let's play it this weekend, ok?

But more to the point of the actual thread:

1. Trying to Get Next to You-Arnold Blair

2. I May Not Be What You Want-Bobby Sheen or Mel & Tim's version

3. If You Don't Want My Love-Robert John-Columbia

Sooooo many great tunes out there like this!

-Jas

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Don't know if there's been a thread for this before, but what IS the slowest Northern tune played at a nighter?

Slower than perhaps Tony Clarke's "The Entertainer" or The Tams ultra brilliant, magnificently soulful "Hey girl don't bother me".

Modern and cross-over type sounds don't apply.

Martin

Bit of an oxymoron"slowest northern" isnt it?

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Was always fond of throwing one or two slow in the middle rather than at end, normally got at least one person dancing (although the bribes were a bit expensive!!) On reading this thread I think I have played about 60% of them out at some point at Allanton, maybe I did play too many slow things after all!! whistling.gif

Jock

Always loved "Ask the Lonely." I remember you playing this when you guested at the 100 club, far more years ago than either of us would care to remember. Quite slow, so just slips in under the wire IMO.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Art Robins i cant stand to see you cry vando

Jaibi you got me kapp

Milt Grayson wayfarin stranger derby

Dottie and Millie nothing in this world topper

sylvia st Claire is he alright brunswick

Audrey Freeman 3 rooms musicor

Frank James sea of faces tru sound

sheila ferguson dont leave me lover swan

Deena Johnson the breaking point wild deuce

and Brad Lundy on julmer

Johnny Gilliam a broken hearted mans prayer bo mar

Don and Juan heartbreaking truth mala

And last but not least The fantastic Joe Hinton Funny How Time Slips Away Backbeat

TUNES

Al H rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Right then, we need a place to stage a 'Slowest of slow' nights to fight this out. The first record to make the dancers stop dancing is the winner . . . and I don't mean by playing pop!!

Martin

I accept your challenge - beat ballads at 300 paces - choose your titles and let's away to Hyde Park - at the break of dawn, nothing more than 80 bpm.... :huh:unsure.gif:D How about Stewart Ames 'King for a day'... rolleyes.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Top tune for sure... have to say... for me... JOCK MITCHELL - 'NO MAD WOMAN' has the edge... just :lol:

Grrrr... wish we could post sounds up thumbsup.gif

LOL Joan...was going to say 'Nomad Woman'...but I was following a post by Alan H...and we have BIG debates between King for a Day and Nomad Woman...how sad are we :yes::lol::lol: He always insists on King for a Day...I'm either or..... :P Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

How about the oh so soulful Jackey Beavers - Bring me all of your heartaches

or Donnie Elbert- In between the heartaches

Both slow but danceable and Gareth Sweeney played a brilliant Joey Gillmore slowie up at Soul or Nothing a few months back - not sure of the title but pure class.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

ROBERT PARKER - I CAUGHT YOU IN A LIE - NOLA

Love the record and still a relative cheapy.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned a slowie I still adore to this day and have had it nearly 20 years!

Joey Gee - It's More than I deserve (ABC)

Loved this since I heard Mr Brady play it in the early eighties, think it was at one of The Hinckley Allnighters when I first heard it. I just had to have it!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Love the record and still a relative cheapy.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned a slowie I still adore to this day and have had it nearly 20 years!

Joey Gee - It's More than I deserve (ABC)

Loved this since I heard Mr Brady play it in the early eighties, think it was at one of The Hinckley Allnighters when I first heard it. I just had to have it!

love it :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Bit of an oxymoron"slowest northern" isnt it?

You what? :thumbsup: Better be good!

Martin

p.s. I'll have to do an 'oxymoronic' (can't be right no-way) top 20 slowest 'Northern' tunes listed so far.

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

One that came on in the car today on the cd I've got playing....Arthur Alexander - You better Move On :thumbsup:

Also by Arthur Alexander (from the same era as You Better Move On), how about Go Home Girl, Where Have You Been, Anna and Soldier Of Love? Last 2 were covered by the Beatles in their early period of fame. But I don't suppose any have been played at a Northern night, but were played out in the early/mid 60s.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert