Female Record Collector's

Sanquine

==============

Not sure who this is aimed at, but would like to reiterate I was asking questions, not reflecting my own viewpoint

Winnie:-)

wasnt aimed @ anyone lol...am just a bit fed up with having to justify myself as a gal buying records.....cos i dont do other kinds of shopping...and i dont own a handbag of any description :thumbsup:

its a bit like saying only women watch soaps ( i dont ) funny how all the soap threads on here are started by men :D:D .....

tis just jovial banter.....

cookie :D

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

================

Bloody Chalky :thumbsup:

ahhh noooo it wasn't me Win :D My only arguement with Karen about female DJ's is they are a minority in a male dominated area of collecting. Facts and figures from certain dealers have also backed up this arguement. One dealer said out of something like 5000 regular customers just 5 or 6 are female.

Now, is me tea ready me dear, is kettle on I'm parched :D

Social source share

Guest Roccia

A couple of names from this sunny country:

Barbara Grassi - Nancy Yahiro (ok, she's from USA but she's living here)...

Have a look in their record boxes, before declare girls can't collect soul records:shhh: :thumbsup::D:D ...

Roccia

Edited by Roccia
Social source share

ahhh noooo it wasn't me Win :thumbsup: My only arguement with Karen about female DJ's is they are a minority in a male dominated area of collecting. Facts and figures from certain dealers have also backed up this arguement. One dealer said out of something like 5000 regular customers just 5 or 6 are female.

Now, is me tea ready me dear, is kettle on I'm parched :D

==============

Never really thought it was you Chalks, not really your style. Think you'd respect someone for their knowledge/collection whatever their gender :D

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

The more the better

nothing wrong with women having a Boss collection

:thumbsup: if they wanna dj then GO FOR IT LADIES............n then some.

Social source share

===============

He doesn't dance but he's always jigging about behind the decks :thumbsup: Not saying it does matter or not, just saying that dancing may be considered secondary by some DJs, but don't think you could ever level that accusation at a female DJ, cos in general they enjoy dancing as much as collecting. Maybe it's true men just don't multi task well. Karen asked a serious question and I think she's probably right some men probably don't consider women of an equal status, in any field, but it would be very un PC to say that. If you narrow it down to just record collecting, you can just hear some guys saying "She spends so much time on the dance floor, how can she possibly know what's good or not". I'll make it clear not all guys think that, but if you think none do..................... :D

Hence asking does she or any other girl, think dancing may impact on some peoples ability to take them seriously as collectors/DJs

As I said in the initial post, may not be relevant, just throwing something out there :D

Hey guys witness reports from Wolfies bar in Skeggy Sunday night after the weekender.... "Soul Sam up on the floor dancing"

Social source share

I can imagine it could be expensive if both partners collect... where do you go to lend money from when your out? Who gets what record, who see it first or who wanted it first..

Good call Mischief - was thinking bout doing a thread on this very subject just out of interest.... Personally not good, have done this myself in the past - dosen't work in my experience. Problem's occur when one want's to sell (don't assume it's the woman). What happen's then, one of you lose's out as happened to me :shades:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

===============

Not sure it's particularly relevant Karen, but noticed that most of the girls who DJ/Collect, mentioned through the thread also dance do you think that may lead to females having a better understanding of what the dancefloor wants?

Raised an interesting point there Winnie - gave Chalky n me something to disagree over tonite :shades::D

A dancer whether female or male certainly has potential to make a good DJ in theory, (goes without saying that top DJ's not compared in this post), as they may know what does or dosen't work on the floor, after all they are the one's the DJ's aim to please. A DJ's dancefloor success would generally influence the booking's they get.

Of course there is so much more to being a DJ though - having a good ear for the right sound at that time, able to adapt but not alter your style of DJing to work the dancefloor. Obviously the ability to put a set together so it flow's is above all imperative, as nothing worse than a mish matched set :D Confidence in what you play is also paramount - even if hall only 1/4 full or not many dancing as doing an early spot - they must show energy and passon for what they've got on the deck's nothing worse than seeing a DJ on stage looking fed up. Personally a DJ who is prepared to put time and effort into putting together a set that offer's something that little bit different, in other word's - putting their own signature on their set.

So in answer to your question - Yes n No :D

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

A couple of names from this sunny country:

Barbara Grassi - Nancy Yahiro (ok, she's from USA but she's living here)...

Have a look in their record boxes, before declare girls can't collect soul records:shhh: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ...

...I definitely prefer collecting soul records than high heel shoes.....

:yes::yes::yes::lol::lol::lol:

ciao, see you in Vicenza....

Barbara

Social source share

Guest Roccia

...I definitely prefer collecting soul records than high heel shoes.....

:thumbsup::thumbsup::yes::yes::lol::lol:

ciao, see you in Vicenza....

Barbara

That's just 'cos you can't walk on them... :thumbsup:

I love when the missus walks on my back with her stiletto heels... :lol::):yes:

See ya in Cats Eaters Town, Ninni...

Roccia

Edited by Roccia
Social source share

Some good thought provoking stuff in post's, even if we alway's have to revert back to Handbag's n shoe's :P only got 4 pair of shoe's n 4 bag's to me name :lol:

Karen

I've got lots of pairs of shoes, but never really been into handbags....

Also have some really nice tunes :D

I suppose our but is that we live in a small cottage - and if we move it'll mean at least doubling our mortgage which would mean no more record money :P or shoe money :P

Social source share

I dont think it matters if a DJ dances or not, be it male or female, your either a good jock or not.

Soul Sam doesn't dance, does that mean he doesn't have an understanding of the floor?

All depends on the type of crowd IMO

he admitted he shook a leg in spain this year ( luanco asturias weekender) must've been the cider...

macca

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

all collectors are same to me. i don't want to think cause you female you are different. who knows some of them could have better collections then us men.

Social source share

Guest rachel

who knows some of them could have better collections then us men.

Surely not :P:shades: Well, we do try to keep up to your standards... :P

The fact we're even discussing it shows that female collectors are still a minority, a bit of a novelty - will always be that way in any 'anorakky' world I reckon, you don't see many women trainspotters hanging about stations but there must be a few out there.. I wonder why that is, different brain chemistry or something?..... and yep, we probably will always have to face a variety of attitudes from the jokey to the downright rude and sexist (my favourite being the time someone told me I played a nice set then asked whose records I was playing.. followed by, yep, "women shouldn't buy records").

I'm happy just getting on with what I do, don't have time to waste on people like that :P

Social source share

..... and yep, we probably will always have to face a variety of attitudes from the jokey to the downright rude and sexist

When I played records in Rimini last July, an english guy told me "you made a great set, considering that you are a woman"

....Should I take this as a compliment? :P

Social source share

Guest claude rains

When I played records in Rimini last July, an english guy told me "you made a great set, considering that you are a woman"

....Should I take this as a compliment? :thumbsup:

He sounds like a really modern thinking guy, as are some of the men on this site.

Maybe a tad mysogonistic, he should read a few things by Tennesse Williams

at least he would be in company more suited to himself.

wink.gif .

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I think you left off the irony smiley.

At least I hope you did. wink.gif

i doubt it :thumbsup:

he never replies to any questions either. he usually turns up every 2 weeks at 3 in the morning and bombards every thread in his own unique style

Shane

Social source share

Karen,4 pairs of shoes. Don't tell my wife,she'd be organising a charity all-dayer for you. I've got more than 4!!

To be serious for a moment original post did kinda set female collectors apart from male collectors, a division which is pretty meaningless as the crux is the collecting not the gender.

Also depends on how you define "collector". Im sure there are lots of ladies out there who have 45s/CDs/LPs at home or joint finance their partners collections and have their say in what gets bought.

My wife used to buy in the late 70's but sold them before I met her. Many's the time she'll say "I had that" and I won't speak to her for a week cos I want it now.

ROD

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

he admitted he shook a leg in spain this year ( luanco asturias weekender) must've been the cider...

macca

...Or possibly gout? :thumbsup::lol::lol:

TONE

Social source share

Karen,4 pairs of shoes. Don't tell my wife,she'd be organising a charity all-dayer for you. I've got more than 4!!

To be serious for a moment original post did kinda set female collectors apart from male collectors, a division which is pretty meaningless as the crux is the collecting not the gender.

Also depends on how you define "collector". Im sure there are lots of ladies out there who have 45s/CDs/LPs at home or joint finance their partners collections and have their say in what gets bought.

My wife used to buy in the late 70's but sold them before I met her. Many's the time she'll say "I had that" and I won't speak to her for a week cos I want it now. :lol:

ROD

Hi Rod

Been an interesting thread, guess from my orig post you could look at it like that, though not my intention - to me have not given it a thought in many years, surprised by recent comment I mentioned and got me wondering if a few other men thought the same and how many of us female collector's there actually. Recent discussions bring up female buyers being a minority based on percentage quoted when chatting with a dealer recently........

Please tell your wife the charity dayer's ok - but instead of shoe's can I buy records :thumbsup::lol:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert