thirst for more, no class djs and other stuff etc

As i believe every DJ i hear will play some tunes i don't know and might get into and also play tunes i like i know and again ones i not like so much but i don't go insulting there choices played

wacko.gif

Social source share

• Replies 253
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Talking from my point of view (an italian dj/collector who often attend major english dos), the imagine of the "Rare & Northern Soul Heaven" I had of the UK scene, it has been a bit ruined by the posts I've read on this thread...

Boots... CDs... vinyl carvings... wicked.gif

All the events I've attended in England, I've seen top djs playing original (often very rare) records, and tought this policy was common even on the local scenes...

Our tiny newborn soul scene in Italy, is definitely composed by people who make big efforts (especially in financial terms) to put together a decent collection, but our way is collecting/playing soul music only in its original format...

I'm sure all the italian northern/modern/R&B djs (I'm talking about the ones on the SOUL scene, not scooter/mod or any other scene), have the "original only" policy...

Social source share

Talking from my point of view (an italian dj/collector who often attend major english dos), the imagine of the "Rare & Northern Soul Heaven" I had of the UK scene, it has been a bit ruined by the posts I've read on this thread...

Boots... CDs... vinyl carvings... :shhh:

All the events I've attended in England, I've seen top djs playing original (often very rare) records, and tought this policy was common even on the local scenes...

Our tiny newborn soul scene in Italy, is definitely composed by people who make big efforts (especially in financial terms) to put together a decent collection, but our way is collecting/playing soul music only in its original format...

I'm sure all the italian northern/modern/R&B djs (I'm talking about the ones on the SOUL scene, not scooter/mod or any other scene), have the "original only" policy...

=============

Roccia,

Lots of local nights on in England probably 40+ every weekend. With the best will in the world, top jocks/collectors can only be in one place at one time, so some venues will resort to other formats.

Social source share

Good man Jem.

Ref 'The great Northern Soul Apprenticeship'....Baz is probably in his second year, I'm hoping to be in the sixth form next year and I recon Gibby will have to come back to do re-takes!!! :shhh:

See you Friday at The Embankment Club. Plug...Plug...Plug...

Social source share

=============

Roccia,

Lots of local nights on in England probably 40+ every weekend. With the best will in the world, top jocks/collectors can only be in one place at one time, so some venues will resort to other formats.

Winnie,

I'm quite new on this scene, and I don't wanna sound snob or something, but IMO one of the soul scene most important part is the collector thing.

Anyone can play a blinding spot of world rarities on boots/Cds/vinyl carvings, and the question "what do you think about a dj who play on a boot the tune you've paid 2K on original?" has its sense... If it happens to me I would be very disappointed...

Why people like Butch, Sam, Kenny & Keith, and a few others, are so popular? Cos they play rarities on original format. If I play a CD with the Ellipsis, Joseph Webster, JD Bryant, Jon & The Weirderst, it wasn't the same thing, was it...?

Personally, I wouldn't attend a soul do where the djs don't play original vinyl...

Roccia

P.S. Sorry for my bad english... :shhh:

Social source share

Winnie,

I'm quite new on this scene, and I don't wanna sound snob or something, but IMO one of the soul scene most important part is the collector thing.

Anyone can play a blinding spot of world rarities on boots/Cds/vinyl carvings, and the question "what do you think about a dj who play on a boot the tune you've paid 2K on original?" has its sense... If it happens to me I would be very disappointed...

Why people like Butch, Sam, Kenny & Keith, and a few others, are so popular? Cos they play rarities on original format. If I play a CD with the Ellipsis, Joseph Webster, JD Bryant, Jon & The Weirderst, it wasn't the same thing, was it...?

Personally, I wouldn't attend a soul do where the djs don't play original vinyl...

Roccia

P.S. Sorry for my bad english... :lol:

===========

Your English is good Roc :shhh:

The point I was making was that with the amount of do's in England its impossible for originals to be played at every venue, particularly if the local DJ's want to play something a little different. If it's a major venue, you/me/most would probably expect OVO, although in fairness I wouldn't go home if I found out this wasn't the case.

Social source share

===========

The point I was making was that with the amount of do's in England its impossible for originals to be played at every venue, particularly if the local DJ's want to play something a little different. If it's a major venue, you/me/most would probably expect OVO, although in fairness I wouldn't go home if I found out this wasn't the case.

Winnie,

I've understood the point, and i don't blame promoters or djs involved into events where there's no OVO policy (I like this "OVO", I'm gonna launch it on our italian soul forum... :lol: ), but its something I'm not interested to...

I think no OVO policy pushes the quality of an event down.

Personal opinion and no offence to anyone...

Roccia

P.S. "OVO" means "egg" in Tuscany slang...

Social source share

Winnie,

I've understood the point, and i don't blame promoters or djs involved into events where there's no OVO policy (I like this "OVO", I'm gonna launch it on our italian soul forum... :lol: ), but its something I'm not interested to...

I think no OVO policy pushes the quality of an event down.

Personal opinion and no offence to anyone...

Roccia

P.S. "OVO" means "egg" in Tuscany slang...

============

:shhh:

Social source share

Just a little ditty on this one as it was a comment made by a couple of my mates recentley when i mentioned to them about going to Solid Hit Soul one night, i said to them it should be a good night as they only play original vinyl and it states that on thier flyer with the added comment `it may mean nothing to you but it means something to us` as said mates are more of oldies fans they replied, ` we dont fancy a night of all that slow undanceable rare stuff `

I know its a bit of a blinkered view but would other people think down the same line

for me if the DJs play only original vinyl then that is an indication that they know thier stuff and are serious and dedicated to the scene which should rub off on thier sets they play. so in theory it should be a good night.

Can that reply above also be meaning that oldies nights arent always played on original vinyl in some peoples views.

Thoughts of the Bear :shhh:

Social source share

===========

Why is it impossible? :lol:

Social source share

Why is it impossible? :shhh:

============

Impossible in the context of wanting to play something different and it's very costly or rare, and the DJ's owning them are guesting elsewhere. If a local DJ is happy to play within his/her box and its played out stuff, they run the risk of being criticised for not being adventurous enough.

My view is, I'm just as entitled to hear new stuff as anyone else, if it has to be played on a different format, other than OVO, I'm ok with it (locally) because its still bringing quality to the masses. I know I could travel more, but I just don't want to at the moment.

Social source share

============

Impossible in the context of wanting to play something different and it's very costly or rare, and the DJ's owning them are guesting elsewhere. If a local DJ is happy to play within his/her box and its played out stuff, they run the risk of being criticised for not being adventurous enough.

My view is, I'm just as entitled to hear new stuff as anyone else, if it has to be played on a different format, other than OVO, I'm ok with it (locally) because its still bringing quality to the masses. I know I could travel more, but I just don't want to at the moment.

So it's not actually impossible then? More of a way of hearing rare material for those who can't be bothered to travel?

What do you think of the DJ's who do play the "played out stuff" ... from pressings?

And what does "locally" mean? Every event is local to somebody.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Just a little ditty on this one as it was a comment made by a couple of my mates recentley when i mentioned to them about going to Solid Hit Soul one night, i said to them it should be a good night as they only play original vinyl and it states that on thier flyer with the added comment `it may mean nothing to you but it means something to us` as said mates are more of oldies fans they replied, ` we dont fancy a night of all that slow undanceable rare stuff `

I know its a bit of a blinkered view but would other people think down the same line

for me if the DJs play only original vinyl then that is an indication that they know thier stuff and are serious and dedicated to the scene which should rub off on thier sets they play. so in theory it should be a good night.

Can that reply above also be meaning that oldies nights arent always played on original vinyl in some peoples views.

Thoughts of the Bear :lol:

I hope that your tail hasn't popped out. I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why we put that on there, I'm just wondering now whether it isn't a little pretentious, I blame Gene (its traditional to blame him for everything at SHS). If we can't get a record on a pukka format we won't be playing it and will go and find something else, seems to make sense to us, thats our expectation of other people too if they are charging someone to come into their events.

What slow and undanceable rare stuff? :shhh:

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

So it's not actually impossible then? More of a way of hearing rare material for those who can't be bothered to travel?

What do you think of the DJ's who do play the "played out stuff" ... from pressings?

And what does "locally" mean? Every event is local to somebody.

===========

Yeah, a way of hearing rare stuff for those who can't be bothered to travel, is there something wrong with that then??

Couldn't care less what format is used in general Dave, I'm a dancer not a judge. Locally means local to me, a small soul night as opposed to one of the larger well attended venues.

How anti other formats are you, where do you set your own standards??

Social source share

===========

Yeah, a way of hearing rare stuff for those who can't be bothered to travel, is there something wrong with that then??

Couldn't care less what format is used in general Dave, I'm a dancer not a judge. Locally means local to me, a small soul night as opposed to one of the larger well attended venues.

How anti other formats are you, where do you set your own standards??

I only collect OV, but tend to think "each to their own" mostly. It does piss me off a bit when I hear the likes of Mello Souls or Margaret Little played off boots/CD though.

One of the key things about the scene to me has always been brilliant rare records and if you can hear them off boots at every night you go to, they ain't rare any more.

Social source share

I only collect OV, but tend to think "each to their own" mostly. It does piss me off a bit when I hear the likes of Mello Souls or Margaret Little played off boots/CD though.

One of the key things about the scene to me has always been brilliant rare records and if you can hear them off boots at every night you go to, they ain't rare any more.

=============

So, if its 'each to their own', nothing really wrong with not wanting to travel and wanting to hear new stuff :shhh:

Would you jock alongside a DJ playing CDs or boots or go to an night if boots etc were being played?

Social source share

Whilst I appreciate the sentiments of the DJ's and collectors (of which I'm neither) can I just say I don't give a flying f*ck what format a tune is played in. I just want to enjoy myself when I go out.Dance first, ask questions later. In the end the music was made to dance to. :shhh: Shoot me down if you want.......

Social source share

=============

So, if its 'each to their own', nothing really wrong with not wanting to travel and wanting to hear new stuff :shhh:

Would you jock alongside a DJ playing CDs or boots or go to an night if boots etc were being played?

It's not for me or anybody else to say what's right ot wrong, but I personally find part of the attraction of some records is that you can only hear them where certain DJs are playing. If they get churned out regularly at "local" events off boots they lose that freshness for me.

As far as DJing goes, it's down to the individual DJ and the promoter what's played IMO, but I tend to prefer attending events where OV is played.

Social source share

It's not for me or anybody else to say what's right ot wrong, but I personally find part of the attraction of some records is that you can only hear them where certain DJs are playing. If they get churned out regularly at "local" events off boots they lose that freshness for me.

As far as DJing goes, it's down to the individual DJ and the promoter what's played IMO, but I tend to prefer attending events where OV is played.

============

Yep totally agree with that, just down to personal opinion as always :shhh:

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Having read and followed this and a couple of other threads in the same vein I was currious to get peoples opions on one issue. Now if a track has been issued or only demo'd on vinyl then thats the way it should be played without a shadow of a doubt, the original NOT a bootleg,pressing etc. But, and heres the issue If a track has only ever been made avaliable on Cd Or Download say is that then baned from the public domain anywhere apart from your own living room

One such track the Shaladons-- Without YOur Love has only been out on a Cd (as Far As I'm Aware) so how does it get played out LEGALLY or are we going to deprive ourselves of some great tunes. Yes I know theres the "well theres a lot of stuff out there" bit but if we want Different or Fresh then should we move into the 21st centuary and use the formats around when an unissed track is on cd only.

Or is there a double standard that says an ILLEGAL pressing is acceptable in this sort of case

Just a thought and CONSTRUCTIVE comment would be good to hear from either side of the fence

The Git

Social source share

Having read and followed this and a couple of other threads in the same vein I was currious to get peoples opions on one issue. Now if a track has been issued or only demo'd on vinyl then thats the way it should be played without a shadow of a doubt, the original NOT a bootleg,pressing etc. But, and heres the issue If a track has only ever been made avaliable on Cd Or Download say is that then baned from the public domain anywhere apart from your own living room

One such track the Shaladons-- Without YOur Love has only been out on a Cd (as Far As I'm Aware) so how does it get played out LEGALLY or are we going to deprive ourselves of some great tunes. Yes I know theres the "well theres a lot of stuff out there" bit but if we want Different or Fresh then should we move into the 21st centuary and use the formats around when an unissed track is on cd only.

Or is there a double standard that says an ILLEGAL pressing is acceptable in this sort of case

Just a thought and CONSTRUCTIVE comment would be good to hear from either side of the fence

The Git

Far too many Great Tunes issued as CD only to leave 'em out!

I can still hardly believe that there are Soul venues out there that don't have CD decks (never mind going as far as having a 'Vinyl Only' policy!).

I turned up at a venue less than a year ago and the promoter specifically booked me cos he new what I did and 'wanted some newer stuff'

When I got there, no CD decks!

What year is it?

Unbelievable.

CD's have been commercialy available for 15+ years, but it seems to me that many on the scene still haven't grasped it yet.

Just bloody Unbelievable.

Fortunately I'd got 2 boxes of that old shit on vinyl with me.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

If you played that I'd set fire to the building :)

No Pete, it was just an example to mean a particular rare and/or expensive record...

The Ellipsis isn't my cup of tea, even it would be affordable (it wouldn't for my wallet)...

Roccia

Social source share

This is my last word on this as its not my problem, but do you think said DJ was showing Baz & Lenny respect with those remarks on the Mike, regardless of whether the guy was being personal or referring to the music these two played as a whole, my point is not what was played but the fact that someone was so rude as to say that over the mike. What a chopper, anyway shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the decks unless he's playing off the original format of release................cat ,pidgeons .

Russ

i was also on the d.j. rosta that night and found gibbys comments totally insulting no matter what type of music you play if there's no mutual respect amongst d.j's then there's no hope for the scene :o
Social source share

not a problem be at wellingborough on friday, cliff steele dj,ing thats my only reason for going .

repeat so you dont get confused the only people in this area that have any records are cliff steele, tony parker,hammie, pete hulatt,steve cooper, the only other people trying are baz bond, lennie dopson and geoff ware the rest should buy some tunes or sit down

iv'e been championing new discoveries for years firstly in nottingham in the late 70's 80's now in st.ives area :)

Social source share

Far too many Great Tunes issued as CD only to leave 'em out!

I can still hardly believe that there are Soul venues out there that don't have CD decks (never mind going as far as having a 'Vinyl Only' policy!).

Sean

Must admit i'd be happy if cds were never ever played at dos, soulless corporate monstrocities, would personally love to see these cd issued only tracks brought out on vinyl.

Simon :)

Social source share

starting to get abit worried as im dj at wellingborough friday, especialy that soulfulbob will be there plus the fact i live in cambridgeshire :unsure: no hope then. does anyone know him/her?and point him/her? out please on friday, i seen his/her post regards jacks wellingboro do i quote" is that guy who plays photostat vinyl carvers djn" :)

russ

is this a snipe at me russ the only vinyl carvers i play are all unissued tracks iv'e had years and decided to play out which ican't see any harm in as other wise they would never be heard laugh.gif

Social source share

Must admit i'd be happy if cds were never ever played at dos, soulless corporate monstrocities, would personally love to see these cd issued only tracks brought out on vinyl.

============

But if they're not on vinyl and the fit the bill, how do you go about playing them? Should they never ever be played, wouldn't that be a backward step?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Intersting stuff. How many on here went to stafford?

What was the average attendance?

Did Ian Clark DJ there?

Was Andy Pountain the best DJ?

Was there a small revolving dance floor up stairs?

Is it true you had sit on the stairs whilst the 'clubbers' were thrown out?

Was Colors - Am I gonna be the one @ 6:52 the longest track played there?

Is it true that people went into the 'disco' before to jig about to Colonel Abrams - Trapped?

went to stafford every time used to d.j notts palias then get taxi over there :)

Social source share

============

But if they're not on vinyl and the fit the bill, how do you go about playing them? Should they never ever be played, wouldn't that be a backward step?

A great deal of them will be on studio acetates, in the hands of collectors in the UK and elsewhere.

My defence of the OVO is really quite simple. The scene is made up of punters, DJs, promoters, collectors and record dealers etc etc etc. Each plays a part in making northern very unique and - dare I say it - a little bit special.

The OVO policy when looked at from outside the scene can appear fussy, elitist and unnecessary but at least it ensures one thing - the people behind the decks are either there because they've committed a lot of time, money and research, dedication, pig-headedness to tracking down these records and/or shelling out for them. Such levels of irrational and inexplicable commitment are - to me - far more worthy of attention, humour, admiration, and even sorrowful shakes of the head than some guy with a bunch of mp3s burnt onto acetates at vinyl carvers.

If there are certain records you want to hear and your local DJ doesn't have them then travel to see a DJ who does. If you don't know of one , then perhaps ask around - it's not difficult really.

This notion that people playing big indemanders on boots at local doos is somehow good for the scene, brings people into it, has never been tested or backed up with hard evidence. A very small proportion of new people introduced to the music in this way end up travelling or seeking out new sounds with any degree of passion. More often than not - a local scene is established based around one or two wannabe local types who dream of seeing their name in lights.

The scene loses, the music loses, people drift away, big rarities suddenly become overplayed and tired because everyone and their dog has them on dubs.

One last point - the soul scene has never been a democracy. Just because everyone wants something, that doesn't make it good for the scene. Why ? because the scene is about a heck of a lot more than the punters who are currently on it in this point in time. Even if every punter in the land said they didn't care about the format, I'd still think they were wrong.

Hammy

Social source share

would personally love to see these cd issued only tracks brought out on vinyl.

So would I, because I collect vinyl, but as a DJ what do I do if I become aware of a great track on CD only, that needs promoting / plugging?

Leave it?

No way.

I don't believe CD's are any more 'corporate' than vinyl. It's just another effective media for 'carrying' and broadcasting music.

That said, there's a definite swing back to vinyl throughout the industry.

The Record Corps have recognised that if they can re-educate the Music Buying public to "own" music rather than just download or stream it then sales should increase and piracy reduce (well that's the theory!).

Be interesting to know though how many people on here have bought the incredible series of 7"s from Gary Capes / John anderson's Grapevine 2000 etc. where real, high quality rarities are made legally available and pressed up on vinyl.

Furthermore how many DJ's would play 'em!

So come on you 'vinyl only' stalwarts.....how many have you got?

Sean

Social source share

A great deal of them will be on studio acetates, in the hands of collectors in the UK and elsewhere.

My defence of the OVO is really quite simple. The scene is made up of punters, DJs, promoters, collectors and record dealers etc etc etc. Each plays a part in making northern very unique and - dare I say it - a little bit special.

The OVO policy when looked at from outside the scene can appear fussy, elitist and unnecessary but at least it ensures one thing - the people behind the decks are either there because they've committed a lot of time, money and research, dedication, pig-headedness to tracking down these records and/or shelling out for them. Such levels of irrational and inexplicable commitment are - to me - far more worthy of attention, humour, admiration, and even sorrowful shakes of the head than some guy with a bunch of mp3s burnt onto acetates at vinyl carvers.

If there are certain records you want to hear and your local DJ doesn't have them then travel to see a DJ who does. If you don't know of one , then perhaps ask around - it's not difficult really.

This notion that people playing big indemanders on boots at local doos is somehow good for the scene, brings people into it, has never been tested or backed up with hard evidence. A very small proportion of new people introduced to the music in this way end up travelling or seeking out new sounds with any degree of passion. More often than not - a local scene is established based around one or two wannabe local types who dream of seeing their name in lights.

The scene loses, the music loses, people drift away, big rarities suddenly become overplayed and tired because everyone and their dog has them on dubs.

One last point - the soul scene has never been a democracy. Just because everyone wants something, that doesn't make it good for the scene. Why ? because the scene is about a heck of a lot more than the punters who are currently on it in this point in time. Even if every punter in the land said they didn't care about the format, I'd still think they were wrong.

Hammy

==========

Hammy,

You've lost me a bit with all this studio acetate stuff. If a track is only available on CD should it be overlooked by the rare soul scene until such times at its released onto vinyl?

Social source share

Hammy

Thanks Hammy,

my poor english handicapped me, but you explain exactly my point of view... :)

Roccia - P.O.V.O.I.P. (Pro OVO International Party)

Social source share

Be interesting to know though how many people on here have bought the incredible series of 7"s from Gary Capes / John anderson's Grapevine 2000 etc. where real, high quality rarities are made legally available and pressed up on vinyl.

IMO it's not the same of owning (and playing) an original copy...

There are some unwritten rules that I'm not able to explain here (I should take some english lessons :) before enter in difficult conversations...)

Roccia

Social source share

IMO it's not the same of owning (and playing) an original copy...

There are some unwritten rules that I'm not able to explain here (I should take some english lessons :) before enter in difficult conversations...)

Roccia

Aha!

So it's not that you want to play / hear the tunes 'not on CD'.

And its not that you want to play / hear the tunes 'on vinyl'.

It's that you only want to play / hear the tunes only on 'ORIGINAL ' vinyl.

Fine policy... if you want to setback your relatively embryonic Soul Scene in Italy... by just a few decades.

Borders on the tragic!

Sean

Social source share

==========

Hammy,

You've lost me a bit with all this studio acetate stuff. If a track is only available on CD should it be overlooked by the rare soul scene until such times at its released onto vinyl?

Records have never been 'overlooked by the scene' due to OVO in the past. It simply restricts the roster of DJs to those who have listened to a lot of soul music and dedicated much of their life to tracking it down - a good start for any aspiring class DJ .

As I detailed in my previous posting, collectors of studio acetates and mastertapes dedicate their time ensuring these very tracks aren't overlooked and to ensure they get some sort of belated recognition. Now you do seem to have some odd inbuilt bias towards defining the scene as some metaphorical communal dancefloor of people who must be pleased at all times - but these trainspotters and chinstrokers I speak of are part of the scene as well.

Getting back to my point - If you mean a track on a current CD of , let's just say for arguments sake ( careful winston that's argument in the lower case :) ), unreleased 60s stuff many will come from either master tapes or studio acetates.

Given the countless collections of one -offs, studio acetates and mastertapes out there, it's very rarely only available on CD. There will be usually someone with either an original studio acetate or a dub taken from the mastertape under permission from the owner etc etc etc

Yours unelitistly

Hammy

Social source share

Aha!

So it's not that you want to play / hear the tunes 'not on CD'.

And its not that you want to play / hear the tunes 'on vinyl'.

It's that you only want to play / hear the tunes only on 'ORIGINAL ' vinyl.

Fine policy... if you want to setback your relatively embryonic Soul Scene in Italy... by just a few decades.

Borders on the tragic!

Sean

Sean

I tought to have been clear: in our 'niters we adopt a stricly Original Vinyl Only policy (OVO)...

About the italian scene, I'm very happy about it: one or at least two niters every month with an average attendance of 150-200.

We are trying to propose quality events (and the OVO policy means quality IMO), and often we have british djs as guests. These guys can witness how good the italian dos are... Ask to some SS members like Pete Hulatt, Malc Burton, Sean Chapman, Steve Csordas, Molly, Dukesy, Jo Wallace, and many others...

They can tell you that our future doesn't look so tragic...

All the best

Roccia

Social source share

Sean

I tought to have been clear: in our 'niters we adopt a stricly Original Vinyl Only policy (OVO)...

About the italian scene, I'm very happy about it: one or at least two niters every month with an average attendance of 150-200.

We are trying to propose quality events (and the OVO policy means quality IMO), and often we have british djs as guests. These guys can witness how good the italian dos are... Ask to some SS members like Pete Hulatt, Malc Burton, Sean Chapman, Steve Csordas, Molly, Dukesy, Jo Wallace, and many others...

They can tell you that our future doesn't look so tragic...

All the best

Roccia

OK Roccia, I'm glad your do's are going well.

I don't know the above people mentioned personally (except for my 'very' old and dear friend Malc Burton) but I don't feel compelled to take a survey in any case.

What's more, I'm sure you can have a really good night on original vinyl only, after all, the UK scene did it for decades...

... but I believe you'll miss out on a whole bunch of great music along the way if you bind yourselves to the one, very restrictive, format.

Suggest that you (or anyone else) might visit Soul Essence (Yarmouth) and see how well the Mixed and Multi Media playlist works there (if you haven't already).

Gloves off! Truly Across The Board SOUL....... 60's, 70's 80's 90's, Y2K, Acetates, Vinyl, Rarities, Exclusives, Cheapies, CD's, LP's, 12".... the whole SOULFUL nine yards.

The best night on the planet (IMO)... and what's more...

... Its the Future. And I've Tasted it!

smile.gif

Sean

PS: Malc tells me that he had a real good time in Italy.

I do hope you that had him in bed by 8.00pm and that his snoring didn't keep all you young people awake.

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

OK Roccia, I'm glad your do's are going well.

I don't know the above people mentioned personally (except for my 'very' old and dear friend Malc Burton) but I don't feel compelled to take a survey in any case.

What's more, I'm sure you can have a really good night on original vinyl only, after all, the UK scene did it for decades...

... but I believe you'll miss out on a whole bunch of great music along the way if you bind yourselves to the one, very restrictive, format.

Suggest that you (or anyone else) might visit Soul Essence (Yarmouth) and see how well the Mixed and Multi Media playlist works there (if you haven't already).

Gloves off! Truly Across The Board SOUL....... 60's, 70's 80's 90's, Y2K, Acetates, Vinyl, Rarities, Exclusives, Cheapies, CD's, LP's, 12".... the whole SOULFUL nine yards.

:shades:

Sean

Sean,

I've got your point of view now. I'm sure Yarmouth is a brilliant event, but for my tastes, and my attitude, the venues I run, dj, and attend in Italy are more inspired to places like the 100 Club...

I don't think the OVO policy is so restrictive as you said. There are thousand and thousand more original vinyl soul records around, and I only know a small part of them... My problem is not finding new good records, but find the money to buy them... rolleyes.gif

Roccia

Social source share

smile.gif

Sean

Two totally different concepts though Sean imo, a lot of hardcore NS people wouldn't touch something like SE with a bargepole, not because it's not good, i'm sure it's great but because it's not their bag.

I like bits of all the above music genres you've listed but wouldn't particularly want to hear them mixed together in one night & i'm one of the open minded peeps, to a fair few 6ts minded NS bods the above would make about as much sense as going down the local nightclub.

I have been to the odd mixed soul night & thought it was ok but nothing compared to a full on sweaty 6ts vinyl Northern Soul fest, you just can't beat the raw energy of the latter imo.

You can lead a horse to water etc.

Simon

Social source share

There are thousand and thousand more original vinyl soul records around, and I only know a small part of them... My problem is not finding new good records, but find the money to buy them... rolleyes.gif

Roccia

Welcome to the club then Roccia. :shades:

(I've got a basement FULL and still want more!).

By the way, didn't our mutual friend Mr Burton warn you about Martha Reeves?

You'll have even less money if she does for you what she did for Malc... some 25 years ago!

He's still not fully recovered.

:)

Sean

Social source share

Welcome to the club then Roccia. thumbsup.gif

(I've got a basement FULL and still want more!).

By the way, didn't our mutual friend Mr Burton warn you about Martha Reeves?

You'll have even less money if she does for you what she did for Malc... some 25 years ago!

He's still not fully recovered.

biggrin.gif

Sean

No Sean, he didn't... :shades:

Now you have to tell me the whole story...! I need to be prepared when I'll meet her in the backstage... :)

Social source share

Two totally different concepts though Sean imo, a lot of hardcore NS people wouldn't touch something like SE with a bargepole, not because it's not good, i'm sure it's great but because it's not their bag.

I like bits of all the above music genres you've listed but wouldn't particularly want to hear them mixed together in one night & i'm one of the open minded peeps, to a fair few 6ts minded NS bods the above would make about as much sense as going down the local nightclub.

I have been to the odd mixed soul night & thought it was ok but nothing compared to a full on sweaty 6ts vinyl Northern Soul fest, you just can't beat the raw energy of the latter imo.

You can lead a horse to water etc.

Simon

Fair comment Simon.

I didn't realise we'd been talking about "hardcore 6t's NS" only on this thread.

Does that still have much of a following? rolleyes.gif

I joke :) .

Interesting perception on Soul Essence though, seeing as many popular records of the past 10 years were first made big at Yarmouth and apart from the top drawer DJ lineup (inc Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn, Steve Plumb, Gavin Page etc) other 'never miss' visitors include Butch, Andy Dyson, Chalky, John Manship, Ian Clark and other 'Northern Soul' scene regulars.

Ask Soul Sam what's his biggest and best gig in the calendar.

You want full on and sweaty. Trust me. There's NO atmosphere like that Yarmouth dancefloor... and I've been going to NS gigs since 1972.

You want full on and sweaty. Stand next to Tats Taylor on the Soul Essence dancefloor when Cozzer drops Vivian Reed. The 'fervour' will knock you off your feet.

As for the horse analogy... I always found that you can make them drink...if you first put salt in their oats!

Sean

https://www.soul-essence.co.uk/

Added the link.

See for yourself from the comfort of your own home or office.

Great this new technology stuff!

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Fair comment Simon.

I didn't realise we'd been talking about "hardcore 6t's NS" only on this thread.

Does that still have much of a following? rolleyes.gif

I joke wicked.gif .

Interesting perception on Soul Essence though, seeing as many popular records of the past 10 years were first made big at Yarmouth and apart from the top drawer DJ lineup (inc Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn, Steve Plumb, Gavin Page etc) other 'never miss' visitors include Butch, Andy Dyson, Chalky, John Manship, Ian Clark and other 'Northern Soul' scene regulars.

Ask Soul Sam what's his biggest and best gig in the calendar.

You want full on and sweaty. Trust me. There's NO atmosphere like that Yarmouth dancefloor... and I've been going to NS gigs since 1972.

You want full on and sweaty. Stand next to Tats Taylor on the Soul Essence dancefloor when Cozzer drops Vivian Reed. The 'fervour' will knock you off your feet.

As for the horse analogy... I always found that you can make them drink...if you first put salt in their oats!

Sean

Nice reply Sean, maybe my perception was wrong & maybe just maybe you may have changed my stereotypical view of what i thought Yarmouth was like.

I certainly can't argue with someone with nigh on 35 years experience, i'll look at this event a bit closer next time it comes up.

Social source share

Nice reply Sean, maybe my perception was wrong & maybe just maybe you may have changed my stereotypical view of what i thought Yarmouth was like.

I certainly can't argue with someone with nigh on 35 years experience, i'll look at this event a bit closer next time it comes up.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Simon, you are a Gentleman.

I'll even give you a lift down there if you're up for it.

An absolute pleasure mate.

:shades::)thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

is this a snipe at me russ the only vinyl carvers i play are all unissued tracks iv'e had years and decided to play out which ican't see any harm in as other wise they would never be heard :)

I hope it's not a snipe at you steve ! :shades: I'll vouch for you, apart from being a nice all round fella, good on the mike, you play some blindin tunes...mello souls, magnetics, hamilton movement, margaret littles to name but a few, so why would you ever want to play any vinyl carver look a likes thumbsup.gif

Social source share

==========

Hammy,

Me again Win!

The simple answer is ...As respect for the collecting side of the scene and to keep our scene 'Special' Anything can be played Vinyl OR cd as long it is that particular sounds original format. If I liked a track which was only on cd I'd put it on an acitate simply because I find it easier to DJ with records...

As long as a soul night 'does what it says on the tin' it can play any format it likes. This way if you are against cd's even at small local events you don't have to go.

Here's a question.

Do you think Brian Ray is entitled to play cd's? I personally think he is the only exception to the rule...

Len.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert