thirst for more, no class djs and other stuff etc

• Replies 253
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:unsure: It'd be like watching Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks wrestling. Oldies v Newies, tried and tested but predictable techniques like the haymaker and splashdown against sneaky ninja style high risk tactics? Spencers and vests or the black pyjamas? Who'll win?

Threads like this are dead funny, mate of mine reckons that people into soul must be really lovely, cool, chilled out people but I reckon people are more often a mixture of Victor Meldrew and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

the banter and that should be and usually is a bit of a laugh, though have to say does always seems to be a one poster/new member oldies freak who takes it a step too far and drags the tone of the place down

what sort of person joins just to post something like "...be carefull soulfulbob" :yes::D

Social source share

:D

i have met people at oldies events who have told me they have been on the scene over 30 years. this usually means they went to wigan with their older brother twice in '76. They then met a girl, got married and had kids and was never to be seen again. Then by accident in 2002 they attend a leaving do for their workmate, Plumber Pete, at the local WMC. After a few shandies they are dragged onto the floor by one of the ugly birds in accounts to dance to 'Jimmy Mac'. Whilst trying to do the moves again they try to tell Sandra in accounts that they use to dance to this 30 years ago and in a drunken slur they also tell Sandra that 'you never lose the magic'. Sandra tells him that she loves all this motown stuff and regularly attends a local soul night once a month. This causes the returnee to lose sleep thinking about the 'glory days' and how it all went wrong which then sees him divorcing his wife, buying some baggy trousers, a few patches and a couple of pressings.

i bet my bottom dollar that this story is exactly true for someone :unsure:

shane

Over 50% of the Sheffield lot :yes:

Social source share

i have met people at oldies events who have told me they have been on the scene over 30 years. this usually means they went to wigan with their older brother twice in '76. They then met a girl, got married and had kids and was never to be seen again. Then by accident in 2002 they attend a leaving do for their workmate, Plumber Pete, at the local WMC. After a few shandies they are dragged onto the floor by one of the ugly birds in accounts to dance to 'Jimmy Mac'. Whilst trying to do the moves again they try to tell Sandra in accounts that they use to dance to this 30 years ago and in a drunken slur they also tell Sandra that 'you never lose the magic'. Sandra tells him that she loves all this motown stuff and regularly attends a local soul night once a month. This causes the returnee to lose sleep thinking about the 'glory days' and how it all went wrong which then sees him divorcing his wife, buying some baggy trousers, a few patches and a couple of pressings.

i bet my bottom dollar that this story is exactly true for someone :unsure:

shane

============

How did you get onto the scene Shane, and from whence did you come?

Have to explain everything these days so no one takes offence :yes:

The reason I'm asking isn't to check your credentials, not worried if Colin from Computers told Anita in accounts, and you overheard, at the company auderve judging contest, just wondering how you got started thats all :yes:

Was you never tempted by the lure of the oxford bags, or the bright shiny badges, that feeling of belonging as you throw down some talc, and someone nods knowingly? :D

Winnie:-)

Social source share

============

How did you get onto the scene Shane, and from whence did you come?

Have to explain everything these days so no one takes offence :lol:

The reason I'm asking isn't to check your credentials, not worried if Colin from Computers told Anita in accounts, and you overheard, at the company auderve judging contest, just wondering how you got started thats all :D

Was you never tempted by the lure of the oxford bags, or the bright shiny badges, that feeling of belonging as you throw down some talc, and someone nods knowingly? :D

eh up win

the important part of my story is the '30 years on the scene lie'

the rest is just entertainment :P

i got into it thru the mod scene

shane

Social source share

didn't really want to get involved in this thread much after i posted that little ditty, but the crazy thing is im my earlyer spot i played what many of us would class as overplayed, floor was full job done so decided to be a bit more adventurous in the second spot with a few 'new' bits didn't go down to well but there you go no skin off my back some people like to get to know tunes befor they dance to them, but to call the likes of Eddie Whitehead, boss four, little herman ect ect shit you aint a northern soul fan :lol:

looking back remember summin about nothing ground breaking or that rare spun.......that was never the idea of my self and lennys spots, all though i would say Johhny Rodgers and Eddie Whitehead are pretty f**kin rare to name two, my own veiw point was to mix it up old and 'new'..... known and not so well known, no one was trying to be ground breaking or play the rarest you can find.

P.S it does say on the flyer oldies and newies and 60's & 70's dancefloor soul.

Some one else mentioned about he did the job and filled the floor..he may have done, but so did i, and i did it with me own records not playing CD's and gobbing off on the mike with verbal cancer.

============

It also says that a resident plays off CDs on the flyer Baz, I know I've already mentioned this, but it is worth re-iterating IMO, as its not a crime and is clearly stated. I do think that whatever he thought about your set, this guy should have kept it to himself. but then I thought the same about your comments re: no decent venues and Terry's comments re: no DJ's in the area trying to be different. They can be read the wrong way (as I did with your statement) and are a red rag to a bull to a lot of people, particularly promoters who in their own view/way are trying their nuts off. I'm not trying to re-open an already concluded debate, just pointing out that there may be a bit of tit for tat going on?

Social source share

eh up win

the rest is just entertainment :P

shane

==============

Right, see what you mean about 'the lie', would guess most had a period of time away, certainly did myself during the family years. During my absence, never felt I was still part of the scene, but did feel at home when I came back. Really wanted to hear familiar stuff for the first few months, but that changed rapidly the more I went out. Sort of came to terms with the fact its a massive and continuous learning curve, if you're that way inclined, but also tried to recognise a lot wouldn't want to move on. Didn't really worry me either way as long as I got what I wanted from it :lol:

Mod scene eh? Don't they have a particular dress code, coming from a 6Ts culture? You'd have thought they'd have moved on by now?? :D:D

Social source share

Going back to the original part of Baz's post, I remember someone following me & Rich after we'd just played, and said 'Thanks to Rich & Jamie for their Wigan tribute......'

Not a bad thing in itself, but maybe only Judy Freeman on RCA from the playlist deffo had spins there, I felt like the sly little fcuker was giving us, in the politest terms, a back-handed compliment.

In my more fiery days I possibly would have taken him to task.....

C'est la vie, baby!

Jamie :lol:

Social source share

:(

i bet my bottom dollar that this story is exactly true for someone :D

shane

mmm, There's always another side to the coin though.

I mean, there are some younger late entries into the scene who just mixed with those that didn't bother with married life, you know, the ones who would rather go out every night & just shag Sandra in accounts or Tracy round the corner every couple of weeks.

These types that for whom it was never really the sound of the music that gave tham a buzz, just the fact they were cool & trendy & into somthing others were not.

So these youngsters get drawn into this Circle of Pan, where Peter never gets older just a little bit more wrinkled & bitter at the fun times that were had in the past.

So he learns to despise this hideous 60's sound & those that love it & embraces Disco & the imortality that goes with it.

He then starts to expose his ant like attention span by spurting out outragous claims like, in two years he has heard every one of the hundreds of thousand old records on the scene & is totaly bored with it !

Hence he is welcomed by the cool & trendy throng like the second coming, Hou rah ! Hou rah ! look at those fools actually enjoying the music,the Idiots !

I bet my bottom dollar that this story is exactly true for someone :D:P

p.s

Can someone stop this bloody rain :lol:

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

============

It also says that a resident plays off CDs on the flyer Baz, I know I've already mentioned this, but it is worth re-iterating IMO, as its not a crime and is clearly stated. I do think that whatever he thought about your set, this guy should have kept it to himself. but then I thought the same about your comments re: no decent venues and Terry's comments re: no DJ's in the area trying to be different. They can be read the wrong way (as I did with your statement) and are a red rag to a bull to a lot of people, particularly promoters who in their own view/way are trying their nuts off. I'm not trying to re-open an already concluded debate, just pointing out that there may be a bit of tit for tat going on?

Right, now we know which event we are talking about, the bit about one resident playing off CDs applies to Barry, i.e. the resident.... and fair enough! Doesn't really have any relevance to this issue though.

Social source share

Right, now we know which event we are talking about, the bit about one resident playing off CDs applies to Barry, i.e. the resident.... and fair enough! Doesn't really have any relevance to this issue though.

============

Thats what I said the first time it was mentioned, and still think the same now, but its been bought up a couple of times since?

Social source share

Oh Mike does this mean you're giving your permission for a big old row :D In that case...(let me have a think about who I can upset :( ) I think Baz is a rubbish dj as I've never heard of any of that old 60s rubbish he plays and I've heard him play at least once. He should take my advice and slip in a few modern oldies-I've got a reissue of Greg perry, It Takes Heart that he can buy off me for a fiver :D Take some advice off somebody who knows( I'm out at least twice a year)...it's what people want and the quicker you realise it the better :P

poetry in mayhem :lol::D:D

Social source share

============

Thats what I said the first time it was mentioned, and still think the same now, but its been bought up a couple of times since?

I didn't put myself across very well. I meant that what it said on the flyer is not relevant to this guy. I can however see the relevance, and irony, of the point about him playing CDs after having a pop at previous DJs. :lol:

Social source share

I didn't put myself across very well. I meant that what it said on the flyer is not relevant to this guy. I can however see the relevance, and irony, of the point about him playing CDs after having a pop at previous DJs. :lol:

just a little question as i cant remember reading about it but,

did the said cd dj play original cd`s or boots after his moment of opinion. :P:D

Bearsy,

Social source share

Blimey!!! I was just checking if the Embankment had some interest for Friday!!!

It's like the fox hunting argument (Oldies v's newies) Just as heated and just as old. Barry Looker actually appologised to me after Gibby's comments on the mike...It was news to me as I was so busy dancing and enjoying the oldies I didn't hear him...(I get the best from both worlds!)

In a word, with ref to all this Jem, yes it's about respect and costructive critism. I'd be interested in Gibby's comments if they weren't on the mike. In fact someone tell him he is welcome at The Embankment this Friday and if he fancies coming without the "blinkers" he can come in on the guest list.

Ref cd's. Again it's a matter of opiniun. In Jacks defence when he started these 'OTHER WELLINGBOROUGH SOUL NIGHTS' I explained to him that he should write on the poster that cd's are played. He took this 'Constructive' Critisism and actually thanked me.

Anyway see you all at The Embankment Friday...And no fighting or you'll have me to deal with. :lol:

Len.

Social source share

just a little question as i cant remember reading about it but,

did the said cd dj play original cd`s or boots after his moment of opinion. :lol::P

Bearsy,

Don't think it really matters, just plain rude & unfair whatever the format.

We all like a bit of oldies /newies banter,it's always gone on, but don't think it was right to put someone down like that after they have just played a set. . (imo)

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

starting to get abit worried as im dj at wellingborough friday, especialy that soulfulbob will be there plus the fact i live in cambridgeshire :P no hope then. does anyone know him/her?and point him/her? out please on friday, i seen his/her post regards jacks wellingboro do i quote" is that guy who plays photostat vinyl carvers djn" :lol:

russ

Social source share

Don't think it really matters, just plain rude & unfair whatever the format.

We all like a bit of oldies /newies banter,it's always gone on, but don't think it was right to put someone down like that after they have just played a set. . (imo)

Totally agree with you but i was only trying to lighten up the thread a little. sorry :lol:

Social source share

Totally agree with you but i was only trying to lighten up the thread a little. sorry :P

:D I wouldn't have commented if you hadn't omited Reel to Reel tapes ! Never get the recognition they deserve :lol:

Social source share

:D I wouldn't have commented if you hadn't omited Reel to Reel tapes ! Never get the recognition they deserve :lol:

bloody hell Bogue what are they im only 38 you know. :P

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

bloody hell Bogue what are they im only 38 you know. :D

Ah, you young whippersnappers....Revox, Studer...the thrill of the cineograph pencil and razor blade - and the nimble use of editing tape :D:(:D You haven't lived until you've done a bit of editting on reel to reels....ex BBC local Radio, darlings :D

As for remarks made on the mike by the dj that's on the decks AFTER your set...imagine how I felt when Ady said nothing and went straight into his set @ the 100 after mine with 'Sad Little Girl' :lol::P:( LOLOL....good job I don't take remarks personally and if I do....never trust me with a microphone :D Jo

Social source share

Like a well worn carpet this debate isn't it, only this time sparked by an over enthusistic 'DJ's' misplaced remarks.

Over the years I've had comments from 'the next guy' ranging from "How Am I Supposed to Follow That..." all the way down to "Right Then, Let's Have Some Proper Northern Soul" (both comments coming from well known DJ's.... as opposed to 'locals'... and still ringing in my ears many, many years later)... and I've had pretty much everything praiseworthy, appreciative, humorous and sarcastic inbetween.

DJ's of any repute and substance know only too well how much time, effort and thought a set takes to put together... and these DJ's invariably show appropriate respect to the other guy, not only because the roles might be reversed (they might be following him next time around) but because it's the right thing to do.

As for The Old v The New thing, when I first got into Soul Music and started getting out and about it was an innovative and progressive scene. When you went out, to a club or a nighter, you mainly / only heard sounds that were new to you... and new to the majority of the audience.

Sure, many of the big tunes were older records (by a couple of years) but the majority of sounds played were 'fresh' and exciting... not because they were old... but because they were new!

The mid 70's, Wigan Oldies Nighters & Mr M's 'fringe' seemed to change all of that, creating a retrograde 'Time Warp' flavour or aspect to the scene. Of course, there's a place for 'quality classics' at any night... in any set... but surely not at the expense of 'freshness'.

Thankfully, most DJ's have a little more about them than just trotting out the "same old, same old".

If we'd all stopped looking, 20 - 30 years ago, it doesn't bear thinking about the number of awesome tunes we would not have been exposed to.

A good rule of thumb was what the PITCHES boys used to use as the playlist Benchmark...

Nostalgia... yes, but in the right measure (Oldies With Imagination!)

Progress... yes, but not just for the sake of being 'upfront' (The quality needs to be maintained).

I think there's cause for some optimism and happen to think that in the past few years the 'Northern' and 'Modern' factions are moving closer together (thanks to events and venues such as Soul Essence, The Orwell etc.) and that it would seem that the greater majority of people (at least on these boards, these days) have a very open mind to good quality Soul Music, all tempo's and from all eras.

In the not too distant future, such a discussion will be history.

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

any git in the street cud probs fling a good set together from cd's...wot gets my goat is people who have genuine ORIGINAL vinyl going on after twits who have just played half of thier own set on cd/bootleg...us collectors take the time to search out and find those lil bits of vinyl...and for me its original format or dont fookin bother...i played out earlier this year at a venue where the promoter thought he was tony blackburn shouting encouragement at the crowd ( 25 peeps )....4 fookin times i heard jimmy mack...on cd :lol: ...its not acceptable...wotever it says on the flyer....

cookie :P

Social source share

i bet my bottom dollar that this story is exactly true for someone :lol:

shane

:P Priceless and i still have the trousers
Social source share

I think there's cause for some optimism and happen to think that in the past few years the 'Northern' and 'Modern' factions are moving closer together (thanks to events and venues such as Soul Essence, The Orwell etc.) and that it would seem that the greater majority of people (at least on these boards, these days) have a very open mind to good quality Soul Music, all tempo's and from all eras.

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Like a well worn carpet this debate isn't it, only this time sparked by an over enthusistic 'DJ's' misplaced remarks.

Over the years I've had comments from 'the next guy' ranging from "How Am I Supposed to Follow That..." all the way down to "Right Then, Let's Have Some Proper Northern Soul" (both comments coming from well known DJ's.... as opposed to 'locals'... and still ringing in my ears many, many years later)... and I've had pretty much everything praiseworthy, appreciative, humorous and sarcastic inbetween.

DJ's of any repute and substance know only too well how much time, effort and thought a set takes to put together... and these DJ's invariably show appropriate respect to the other guy, not only because the roles might be reversed (they might be following him next time around) but because it's the right thing to do.

As for The Old v The New thing, when I first got into Soul Music and started getting out and about it was an innovative and progressive scene. When you went out, to a club or a nighter, you mainly / only heard sounds that were new to you... and new to the majority of the audience.

Sure, many of the big tunes were older records (by a couple of years) but the majority of sounds played were 'fresh' and exciting... not because they were old... but because they were new!

The mid 70's, Wigan Oldies Nighters & Mr M's 'fringe' seemed to change all of that, creating a retrograde 'Time Warp' flavour or aspect to the scene. Of course, there's a place for 'quality classics' at any night... in any set... but surely not at the expense of 'freshness'.

Thankfully, most DJ's have a little more about them than just trotting out the "same old, same old".

If we'd all stopped looking, 20 - 30 years ago, it doesn't bear thinking about the number of awesome tunes we would not have been exposed to.

A good rule of thumb was what the PITCHES boys used to use as the playlist Benchmark...

Nostalgia... yes, but in the right measure (Oldies With Imagination!)

Progress... yes, but not just for the sake of being 'upfront' (The quality needs to be maintained).

:lol:

Sean

Brilliantly put! at last someone with something sensible to contribute!

Social source share

[hello potsy,

nice try ,yes l collect british as you know.however are you seriously saying that just because l collect british tunes on original labels, that l should,nt want to go and hear mind blowing 6,ts and 7,ts such as joseph webster, arthur willis ,the mellow souls, the chasers ,the primers,the awsome jean carter; teardrop or the brilliant, brilliant group sound covered up as belita woods.

you can,t be serious this is just what l mean about these local dj,s they don,t want to hear these tunes and never will

the venues l slate, have dj,s that play bootlegs ,pressings and worst of all bootleg acetates with stuck on photostat labels. how would you feel if you payed 4or 5k for a tune only to have someone do this to you. to play cd,s is unbelievable .when they do play real tunes they show no imagination, knowledge or flair.

you were at st.ives in october 6or 7 records were played 3or 4 times . did we hear great oldies like toby bowe, chico lamar , the penetrations anything by ty karim no not a bit of it we got joy lovejoy and gary lewis, the same thing happened at the velvelettes all oldies, l never expected any other , quite happy about it , what did we get 6 or 7 tunes again played 3 or 4 times no imagination no knowledge.

this is because these people put being a dj before the music, the tail wagging the dog..

l have been on this scene 36 years continuously with no 30 year break,why do l still want to hear superb tunes that l dont know ,but these guys dont. people pay good money to go to soul do,s what to be fed mediocrity. you have great tunes so you should understand this. it is not the music l dislike its the bad dj,s remember the emporer has new clothesquote name='pottsy' date='Dec 4 2006, 10:27 PM' post='390833']

Terry, what intrigues me is you keep saying about places like lifeline & progressive venues, yet you collect u.k. pressed oldies. not knocking that for a second as so do i. but was just wondering...lets say you were at a venue somewhere, the d.j. was playing things like Chubby Checker, Tony Middleton, H.Lands etc. you turn round to your mates & say sod this & go up to the decks to have a moan, but you're confronted by a d.j. playing from a box full of mint u.k., would you tell him to get a life? or say blindin set mate? Just a thought :lol:

Social source share

[

dont worry russ, l know you your safe ha ha , just think about what i,ve said though, don,t really include you in this played a nice few tunes at the lel once. l really mean the peterborough area. oops hope you dont come from peterboroughquote name='russoul1' date='Dec 5 2006, 05:16 PM' post='391282'] starting to get abit worried as im dj at wellingborough friday, especialy that soulfulbob will be there plus the fact i live in cambridgeshire :yes: no hope then. does anyone know him/her?and point him/her? out please on friday, i seen his/her post regards jacks wellingboro do i quote" is that guy who plays photostat vinyl carvers djn" :lol:

russ

Social source share

:yes: Now then Reg dont make me tell you what you should do with that Greg Perry record tongue.gif

didn't really want to get involved in this thread much after i posted that little ditty, but the crazy thing is im my earlyer spot i played what many of us would class as overplayed, floor was full job done so decided to be a bit more adventurous in the second spot with a few 'new' bits didn't go down to well but there you go no skin off my back some people like to get to know tunes befor they dance to them, but to call the likes of Eddie Whitehead, boss four, little herman ect ect shit you aint a northern soul fan :lol:

looking back remember summin about nothing ground breaking or that rare spun.......that was never the idea of my self and lennys spots, all though i would say Johhny Rodgers and Eddie Whitehead are pretty f**kin rare to name two, my own veiw point was to mix it up old and 'new'..... known and not so well known, no one was trying to be ground breaking or play the rarest you can find.

P.S it does say on the flyer oldies and newies and 60's & 70's dancefloor soul.

Some one else mentioned about he did the job and filled the floor..he may have done, but so did i, and i did it with me own records not playing CD's and gobbing off on the mike with verbal cancer.

Hi Baz, glad you decided to post a reply, cos in truth it was your remarks that actually started this split thread off ,if you check back .....not saying that was a bad thing ,but just pionting it out....I was the one who mentioned the ground breaking remark, this was not ment as a crticism more an observation, if you note i also said, that i thought ALL the djs played some nice stuff!...and i thought the mix of music on the night worked well.....i was also the one who mentioned that Gibby packed the floor on the night...but i also added that i thought his spot was predictable!...read into this as you like...i was not defending his actions or words and still wont ...but equally, i still maintain as a moderator of this site !your abusive remarks in retalliation to this guy were not befitting, and you should at least admit that...come on i recentley saw a members remarks ,that were far less abusive removed from this forum....dont want to fall out over this cos lifes to short etc. ...but at least do your job and be MODERATE......regards Jem

Social source share

...as i have already said i can understand Baz and Lenny being p****d, i would be....but sometimes its better just to rise above the situation and not enter into a slagging match....just find the whole thing very negative for the local scene......Jem

Didn't bother me Jem...Just surprised me when I heard about it. In fact I feel pity for people without open minds as they are missing out on some great tracks.

Len.

Social source share

...as i have already said i can understand Baz and Lenny being p****d, i would be....but sometimes its better just to rise above the situation and not enter into a slagging match....just find the whole thing very negative for the local scene......Jem

Didn't bother me Jem...Just surprised me when I heard about it. In fact I feel pity for people without open minds as they are missing out on some great tracks.

Hi Len, totally agree with you on the open minds point and in fairness you didnt ever mention anywhere that it did bother you , so a bit prosumptous of me sorry...Good Luck for Friday...will try and get down there early for a while, but double booked that night...regards Jem

Len.

Social source share

Hi Baz, glad you decided to post a reply, cos in truth it was your remarks that actually started this split thread off ,if you check back .....not saying that was a bad thing ,but just pionting it out....I was the one who mentioned the ground breaking remark, this was not ment as a crticism more an observation, if you note i also said, that i thought ALL the djs played some nice stuff!...and i thought the mix of music on the night worked well.....i was also the one who mentioned that Gibby packed the floor on the night...but i also added that i thought his spot was predictable!...read into this as you like...i was not defending his actions or words and still wont ...but equally, i still maintain as a moderator of this site !your abusive remarks in retalliation to this guy were not befitting, and you should at least admit that...come on i recentley saw a members remarks ,that were far less abusive removed from this forum....dont want to fall out over this cos lifes to short etc. ...but at least do your job and be MODERATE......regards Jem

I know you wernt saying none of that Jem, just thought i would try and put into persective the situation, yes suppose my comments did kick this lively thread off hey im quite proud of that :lol:

But i do stand by my comments, why should i show some one respect, who clearly has no respect for me or my tunes?

Cant be arsed to get into what modderators should/shouldn't say, as far as im aware my post is within the guidelines, im not even a modderator in this section, my post was on topic about same old same old, how ever it did grow another head with in that thread hence why its been split.

Social source share

[hello potsy,

nice try ,yes l collect british as you know.however are you seriously saying that just because l collect british tunes on original labels, that l should,nt want to go and hear mind blowing 6,ts and 7,ts such as joseph webster, arthur willis ,the mellow souls, the chasers ,the primers,the awsome jean carter; teardrop or the brilliant, brilliant group sound covered up as belita woods.

you can,t be serious this is just what l mean about these local dj,s they don,t want to hear these tunes and never will

the venues l slate, have dj,s that play bootlegs ,pressings and worst of all bootleg acetates with stuck on photostat labels. how would you feel if you payed 4or 5k for a tune only to have someone do this to you. to play cd,s is unbelievable .when they do play real tunes they show no imagination, knowledge or flair.

you were at st.ives in october 6or 7 records were played 3or 4 times . did we hear great oldies like toby bowe, chico lamar , the penetrations anything by ty karim no not a bit of it we got joy lovejoy and gary lewis, the same thing happened at the velvelettes all oldies, l never expected any other , quite happy about it , what did we get 6 or 7 tunes again played 3 or 4 times no imagination no knowledge.

this is because these people put being a dj before the music, the tail wagging the dog..

l have been on this scene 36 years continuously with no 30 year break,why do l still want to hear superb tunes that l dont know ,but these guys dont. people pay good money to go to soul do,s what to be fed mediocrity. you have great tunes so you should understand this. it is not the music l dislike its the bad dj,s remember the emporer has new clothes

So, from what you have said here, you're not knocking oldies do's, just the one's that have dj's that insist on playing vinyl carver jobs with laser copied labels on :lol: shock..horror :yes: or worse still, cd's. Cant argue with that. There's nothing worse than carting your original vinyl to a do, then to have the dj before you play half your set on boots. That can be a bit frustrating I must admit.

I do think that dj's should mix their sets up. I dont think they should play a whole hour of unfamiliar sounds. I find that boring.

pottsy.

Social source share

:lol: It'd be like watching Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks wrestling. Oldies v Newies, tried and tested but predictable techniques like the haymaker and splashdown against sneaky ninja style high risk tactics? Spencers and vests or the black pyjamas? Who'll win?

Threads like this are dead funny, mate of mine reckons that people into soul must be really lovely, cool, chilled out people but I reckon people are more often a mixture of Victor Meldrew and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Banter on here ok , its when close family get death threats when someone`s objecting to a soul night . Thats taking it to far. :yes:

Social source share

I know you wernt saying none of that Jem, just thought i would try and put into persective the situation, yes suppose my comments did kick this lively thread off hey im quite proud of that :lol:

But i do stand by my comments, why should i show some one respect, who clearly has no respect for me or my tunes?

Cant be arsed to get into what modderators should/shouldn't say, as far as im aware my post is within the guidelines, im not even a modderator in this section, my post was on topic about same old same old, how ever it did grow another head with in that thread hence why its been split.

OK. mate, think we should leave it at that now , didnt realise you were not a moderator in this section , im fairly new to all this, for me i think the subject has been pretty much exhausted now.... hope some good comes of it, understand you dont wanna respect this guy!...but lets all, at least respect the local scene and its different factions!....best regards ...Jem

Social source share

eh up win

the rest is just entertainment :yes:

shane

"30 years on the scene lie." In our neck of the woods thats a truism . Is it so different everywhere else ?

If everybody on the "scene" today actually went to Stafford, as they claim, they would have had 1500 in every week.

And very few seem remember the busy Stafford with Richard Searling Pat Brady and Dave Thorley in particular playing 70's before Keb and Guy were on ? Not many people ever mention it do they ? Why is that ?

A retrospective from Dave Thorleys involvement would be very interesting imo, because Stafford was originally a very upfront nighter, sixties, 70s/80's BEFORE the sixties mafia came to the forefront, and like Clifton Hall, progressed NS when Wigan closed, with bigger attendances than Wigan on Saturdays.

The trouble is, you can't read about it in many books. :lol:

Social source share

"30 years on the scene lie." In our neck of the woods thats a truism . Is it so different everywhere else ?

If everybody on the "scene" today actually went to Stafford, as they claim, they would have had 1500 in every week.

And very few seem remember the busy Stafford with Richard Searling Pat Brady and Dave Thorley in particular playing 70's before Keb and Guy were on ? Not many people ever mention it do they ? Why is that ?

A retrospective from Dave Thorleys involvement would be very interesting imo, because Stafford was originally a very upfront nighter, sixties, 70s/80's BEFORE the sixties mafia came to the forefront, and like Clifton Hall, progressed NS when Wigan closed, with bigger attendances than Wigan on Saturdays.

The trouble is, you can't read about it in many books. whistling.gif

Intersting stuff. How many on here went to stafford?

What was the average attendance?

Did Ian Clark DJ there?

Was Andy Pountain the best DJ?

Was there a small revolving dance floor up stairs?

Is it true you had sit on the stairs whilst the 'clubbers' were thrown out?

Was Colors - Am I gonna be the one @ 6:52 the longest track played there?

Is it true that people went into the 'disco' before to jig about to Colonel Abrams - Trapped?

Social source share

Intersting stuff. How many on here went to stafford?

What was the average attendance?

Did Ian Clark DJ there?

Was Andy Pountain the best DJ?

Was there a small revolving dance floor up stairs?

Is it true you had sit on the stairs whilst the 'clubbers' were thrown out?

Was Colors - Am I gonna be the one @ 6:52 the longest track played there?

Is it true that people went into the 'disco' before to jig about to Colonel Abrams - Trapped?

When I said every week, I meant every fortnight. I think ph34r.gif

Social source share

I went to a do a couple of months ago, one of the dj's had been to somewhere like vinyl carvers & had a few tracks cut onto each side of the record, but he must have forgot to write the titles & artists on, so on the mike we heard...."This is...errrrm..track two. This must be track three..."

Come on mate get a grip, you know who you are, we pay good money to come into your do!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I went to a do a couple of months ago, one of the dj's had been to somewhere like vinyl carvers & had a few tracks cut onto each side of the record, but he must have forgot to write the titles & artists on, so on the mike we heard...."This is...errrrm..track two. This must be track three..."

Come on mate get a grip, you know who you are, we pay good money to come into your do!

:wicked: Thats the kind of DJ who might as well record his set onto an ipod or CD then, if he doesn't actually know what his next record is. May as well have an event run with a jukebox.

Actually, not a bad idea, quid a track, punters get to choose. May be onto a winner with that one, should be able to add an extra hundred or two to the bottom line. And if everyone wants to hear the same tired oldies can sell the track several times over for a single play. Even better.

I'd better patent this idea before Kev Roberts hears about it. As it would be such a cr#p do I'll just turn up to collect the takings at closing time. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

So,Gibby's a bouncer? Great spot Gibby.

Could it be a bit of banter that didn't quite come out right over the mic; wit and a droll sense of humour not being a quality much admired or required in the world of Bounciness.

Politeness does cost nothing unless you ask "Would you like a drink" at some posh wedding do and then it's £5.40 for a vodka and orange.

I make a point of always complimenting the previous DJ on his [and hard though it is to believe sometimes her!!] pathetic little spot. It is hard sometimes to find something positive to say when for instance you follow Geoff Buckley and all you can think of is that he's dressed like he's just come down from the remote area of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is eager to ravish your Grandmother. Maybe if you didn't tuck that check shirt into your work jeans, Geoff. Wear the shirt over your jeans and go for more of a Latino ex-convict look.

Soulful Bob sounds like a guy I could have a drink with, although if Im paying not a vodka and orange. Im all for something fresh and different 60's-wise but then he kinda detracts from his argument by referring to Mellow Souls which I first heard when I lived in Salford[yeah Salford. Gibby so be careful!!]. The nice part admittedly where most of us had glass in the windows. I ain't lived there since 1988.

So Bob my point is that Im thinking this oldies v. newies split in 60's sounds doesn't exist in my take on the scene. With very few exceptions we've heard them all before. Why the dance floor in certain instances haven't caught on I have no idea other than lack of exposure.

Which brings me to my final point. F..king £3K-5K. Im sure there are lots of guys out there who appreciate this stuff but it's out of their price range. Me included. If Bob's tracks are on CD,, and some are, and the DJ wants to play them either on CD or vinyl carver dub then it's a hard call to condemn them outright. At least it's not NF Porter or King Tutt for the millionth time.

I would like to point out that when I do DJ at BILLINGTON BRASS BAND CLUB, a line up of top DJs and Geoff Buckley, I never play boots or CDs and no animals are injured during the course of the evening except for that hamster that time. Well, how was I to know that it would fly off the turntable at that speed and land in that girl's vodka and orange. Another f..king £5.40.

ROD

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

funny story about what Shane said almost like how my dad fits into apart from through the 80's didnt attend no nighters and most of 90's due to marriage and obviously me being boring but not split up. he doesn't recall why he didn't attend any nights in the 80's as i am sure he would have gone.

But back to this thread if the bloke said what he said on mic sadly it's wrong to have a pop at the music played as each DJ has there own set and plays to please people who attend while we might not like every tune played we personally wouldn't go up to them and say shit tune. We just let them get on with it.

As i believe every DJ i hear will play some tunes i don't know and might get into and also play tunes i like i know and again ones i not like so much but i don't go insulting there choices played

Lastly how do we tell what is new because it's only new for different people as i am sure i could find listings of Northern/Modern soul records i don't know and say play them out at next night they be new to me but for you lot it could be a tune you have known for years and won't be new to you so you see new as something else. I don't want to see total new tunes played but a nice mix some new and again good oldies even if it is something commerical as Temptations - Ain't To Proud to Be (as i know it's a classic, wouldn't imagine not hearing it timeless and one of the greatest of all time)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert