thirst for more, no class djs and other stuff etc

• Replies 253
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

like me once i started getting right into it aint it natural to keep wanting to hear more tunes and learning more about what the scene is really all about. or am i just a wiedo like they say i am :yes:

Bearsy

==========

No Bearsy, not wierd, just natural progression mate :thumbsup:

Your right again Winnie,

The scene is far to big to stand still i say.

Dot stop listening to what you like but turn your nose up at something new as you never know if you like it if you aint heard it.

Thats my take on it anyway :thumbsup:

Bearsy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dot stop listening to what you like but turn your nose up at something new as you never know if you like it if you aint heard it.

:thumbsup:

After myself and Len Dopson was on the other week some jumped up oldies prick said on the microphone.........thats enough of that sh*t lets get some proper stuff going, and went on to play over played oldies off CD's well f**k me mate any cnut can do that! wanker.gif bloke was some so called 'oldies god' from round these parts under the name of Gibby?

I feel sorry for people like this they have never 'got it' nor will they ever get what its all about! call your self a northern soul fan :thumbsup: give me a rest!

Social source share

:rolleyes:

After myself and Len Dopson was on the other week some jumped up oldies prick said on the microphone.........thats enough of that sh*t lets get some proper stuff going, and went on to play over played oldies off CD's well f**k me mate any cnut can do that! wanker.gif bloke was some so called 'oldies god' from round these parts under the name of Gibby?

I feel sorry for people like this they have never 'got it' nor will they ever get what its all about! call your self a northern soul fan laugh.gif give me a rest!

can understand you feeling a bit p****d off about Gibby saying what he did. I was there on the night and personally thought there was no need for it,shame really cos i think all the djs played some quite good stuff, i didnt hear anything that was that groundbreaking or rare from any body but there was some nice stuff played,..i would agree that Gibby was lets say predictable. but he did fill the floor which is important for a good night, you did play some different tunes that i thought were good and while they sometimes didnt get a full floor i think on the whole they were apprieciated.....point i am making, there is no need for a them and us situation i think that a good mixture of the well known and not so well known can go down well together... good luck to you mate!.....

on a less positive note i do think you are a bit over the top with your language etc.towards Gibby, dont think its fair to call the guy a jumped up ***** unless i dont know the full story he didnt have a go at you personally just the music , you gotta show a bit of respect! in their day before it was called n.soul these guys were playing what to them at the time was rare soul! ( not so different from what you a trying to do now) remember 60s black soul music was just not available to djs then let alone the mass public unlike now ..so like it or not they did kick the whole thing off ... dont want to start a whole argument off , just think we should all show a bit of respect for each other and concentrate on keeping the local scene strong and vibrant no matter what you taste is!......Jem

Edited by jemco
Social source share

Personally feel that if someone said what they said on the mike, they deserve what they get, Im all for living & let live, but if Gibby hadnt of made the comment the post would never have been made............personally whilst I enjoy all aspects of the music on the scene, I do get a tad peeved at the sanctimonious attitude of some oldies only fans who are of the opinion that the only real NS records are the ones that have been thrashed to death....................maybe Giblet or who ever he is should keep his gob shut on the Mike & let the dancefloor speak for itself ???.

Russ

Social source share

Think it is totally wrong when DJing to have a pop at the preceding jock to yourself. It is just courtesy to thank him for his spot over the mic. Whether you liked his tunes or not is a different matter & expressing a negative opinion on them is well out of order.

Social source share

Shit, is that what he said? I thought he was up there selling tickets for Sundays meat raffle.

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

I feel sorry for people like this they have never 'got it' nor will they ever get what its all about! call your self a northern soul fan :thumbsup: give me a rest!

Lenny is a great bloke, having known him on and off for a few years . . . mainly off! In my opinion he DOES TRY to play off-the-cuff type of records, that given the break by perhaps the TOP d.j.'s would be accepted by the masses. If say a record was played by Lenny, then also played by Soul Sam, people would only accept that record as it was played by Sam. People have always been like sheep on the scene as to their ideas . . . easily led!!

Perhaps a little self interest should play a part . . . what you like is what you like . . . not what you think others think you should like. Probably.

Martin

p.s. nowt wrong with oldies, but there are other great records just waiting to get played also. :D

Social source share

Personally feel that if someone said what they said on the mike, they deserve what they get, Im all for living & let live, but if Gibby hadnt of made the comment the post would never have been made............personally whilst I enjoy all aspects of the music on the scene, I do get a tad peeved at the sanctimonious attitude of some oldies only fans who are of the opinion that the only real NS records are the ones that have been thrashed to death....................maybe Giblet or who ever he is should keep his gob shut on the Mike & let the dancefloor speak for itself ???.

Russ

I wouldnt put it that strong myself ! but i dont disagree with the sentiment of what you have said ...i dont want to start the oldies versus argument ..each to his or her own...i just dont like to see bad mouthing on this site or anywhere else wether it is Gibby or Baz...as i have already said i can understand Baz and Lenny being p****d, i would be....but sometimes its better just to rise above the situation and not enter into a slagging match....just find the whole thing very negative for the local scene......Jem

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

I wouldnt put it that strong myself ! but i dont disagree with the sentiment of what you have said ...i dont want to start the oldies versus argument ..each to his or her own...i just dont like to see bad mouthing on this site or anywhere else wether it is Gibby or Baz...as i have already said i can understand Baz and Lenny being p****d, i would be....but sometimes its better just to rise above the situation and not enter into a slagging match....just find the whole thing very negative for the local scene......Jem

It's not about slanging or arguments on oldies, it's about the punters dancing to what they like, NOT what OTHERS think they should like!! Probably. Like what you like . . . stuff the rest!

Martin

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

It's not about slanging or arguments on oldies, it's about the punters dancing to what they like, NOT what OTHERS think they should like!! Probably. Like what you like . . . stuff the rest!

Martin

Think you may have misunderstood what i was trying to say, i really dont want to enter the oldies argument! its a subject thats been covered over and over again and i am sure will continue...the point i was trying to make was about peoples conduct ,arguing and bad mouthing each other i think is negative who ever it is ...lets try and keep it positive , there is enough happening locally..to please most tastes..so lets not spoil it with neg. vibes..thats all ...Jem

Social source share

"unless i dont know the full story he didnt have a go at you personally just the music , you gotta show a bit of respect! in their day before it was called n.soul these guys were playing what to them at the time was rare soul! ( not so different from what you a trying to do now) remember 60s black soul music was just not available to djs then let alone the mass public unlike now ..so like it or not they did kick the whole thing off ... dont want to start a whole argument off , just think we should all show a bit of respect for each other and concentrate on keeping the local scene strong and vibrant no matter what you taste is!"......Jem

Well said Jem! couldn't have put it better myself....you Sir, are a true diplomat, & one thing I have always appreciated about the soul scene is the mutual respect the majority of us have for everyone else (older & younger alike).....where else do you get such a wide age range of folk appreciating the same kind of music on a night out???!!!!??

Gail

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

"unless i dont know the full story he didnt have a go at you personally just the music , you gotta show a bit of respect! in their day before it was called n.soul these guys were playing what to them at the time was rare soul! ( not so different from what you a trying to do now) remember 60s black soul music was just not available to djs then let alone the mass public unlike now ..so like it or not they did kick the whole thing off ... dont want to start a whole argument off , just think we should all show a bit of respect for each other and concentrate on keeping the local scene strong and vibrant no matter what you taste is!"......Jem

Well said Jem! couldn't have put it better myself....you Sir, are a true diplomat, & one thing I have always appreciated about the soul scene is the mutual respect the majority of us have for everyone else (older & younger alike).....where else do you get such a wide age range of folk appreciating the same kind of music on a night out???!!!!??

Gail

This is my last word on this as its not my problem, but do you think said DJ was showing Baz & Lenny respect with those remarks on the Mike, regardless of whether the guy was being personal or referring to the music these two played as a whole, my point is not what was played but the fact that someone was so rude as to say that over the mike. What a chopper, anyway shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the decks unless he's playing off the original format of release................cat ,pidgeons .

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

This is my last word on this as its not my problem, but do you think said DJ was showing Baz & Lenny respect with those remarks on the Mike, regardless of whether the guy was being personal or referring to the music these two played as a whole, my point is not what was played but the fact that someone was so rude as to say that over the mike. What a chopper, anyway shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the decks unless he's playing off the original format of release................cat ,pidgeons .

Russ

ok Russ, my last word on it as well , as it also , wasnt my problem!, however i care deeply about the local scene and if people start getting at each other it aint gonna help matters. Do i think said dj was showing Baz and Lenny respect? although i thought i had already made this clear, for the record NO I DONT THINK HE WAS!.....however using phrases like CHOPPER (yourself) and JUMPED UP PRICK, ETC. (Baz) . dont make it right either.... i am not defending anyone...i take a purely neutral stance on the matter!...best of luck! ..Jem

Social source share

I wouldnt put it that strong myself ! but i dont disagree with the sentiment of what you have said ...i dont want to start the oldies versus argument ..each to his or her own...i just dont like to see bad mouthing on this site or anywhere else wether it is Gibby or Baz...as i have already said i can understand Baz and Lenny being p****d, i would be....but sometimes its better just to rise above the situation and not enter into a slagging match....

If that's "better", why didn't you keep quiet then?

Couldn't reply to your first post because it's all within the quote, but if the guy said that, and then played off CD's, (why was that, if he is the innovator you suggest????), Baz's terminology seem's quite reasonable to me.

It's nowt to do with oldies vs. the terrible unknown... it's about showing some manners whilst behind the decks, presumably whilst getting paid.

Social source share

Couldn't reply to your first post because it's all within the quote, but if the guy said that, and then played off CD's, (why was that, if he is the innovator you suggest????), Baz's terminology seem's quite reasonable to me.

It's nowt to do with oldies vs. the terrible unknown... it's about showing some manners whilst behind the decks, presumably whilst getting paid.

Hi Dave, i had sort of done with this now but as a matter of courtesy i will reply to you ,firstly totally agree about the manners point , think i have already made this clear!!...secondly never suggested the guy was a current innovator, merely that in their day guys like him were, and on that particular night the oldies he played did get a packed floor wether on cd or not...for the record we dont play cds , vinyl only at our Diamonds night so you can guess my thoughts on the cd issue..however again each to his or her own on that subject , wasnt really commenting on that. or the oldies/ unknown debate...save that one for a rainy day!.....cant agree with you on the terminology used by Baz or any one else for that matter inc. Gibby! issue...thats why i used the better to rise above! quote and thats why ...i didnt keep quiet...best of luck mate ...Jem

Social source share

totally agree with this ....... i think many of these so called overplayed oldies are catchier and more immediate .... and therefore more accessible for those new to northern soul (or more or less any genre for that matter). sometimes i think people who have been into a scene and delved ever more deeply forget a bit about what sort of thing it was that first got them into it. not saying that there aren't catchy and immediate new tracks around though .... probably just less of them and more that are an acquired taste.

===========

Personally I think they're a great place to start, in general (please note I've said in general) they've got a bit more oomph to them and maybe a more commercial sound than some of the current faves, and probably they're more dance friendly, all important points to someone experiencing the scene for the first time. Course this is only my opinion :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

ok Russ, my last word on it as well , as it also , wasnt my problem!, however i care deeply about the local scene and if people start getting at each other it aint gonna help matters. Do i think said dj was showing Baz and Lenny respect? although i thought i had already made this clear, for the record NO I DONT THINK HE WAS!.....however using phrases like CHOPPER (yourself) and JUMPED UP PRICK, ETC. (Baz) . dont make it right either.... i am not defending anyone...i take a purely neutral stance on the matter!...best of luck! ..Jem
Social source share

i,ve known gibby for a hundred years,he is not a dj . his claim to fame was as a bouncer at the wilby george.

however ,the whole soul scene in the northants ,cambs area seems full of twits who have no records other than personal collection standard but want bigger willies,so they fall over themselves to dj ,but they can,t cause they have no taste,class or imagination

get to lifeline ,the union or manchester where top stuff is being played.

you never see any of these so called local dj,s anywhere decent ever

Social source share

i,ve known gibby for a hundred years,he is not a dj . his claim to fame was as a bouncer at the wilby george.

however ,the whole soul scene in the northants ,cambs area seems full of twits who have no records other than personal collection standard but want bigger willies,so they fall over themselves to dj ,but they can,t cause they have no taste,class or imagination

Social source share

===========

Agreed Gibby should have better manners, but it clearly says on the promotions/flyers one of our DJ's plays off CDs so not sure how relevant that is?

Social source share

If you have known him for 100 years, you must be an old git! By the way shouldn't you change your handle to SUICIDE BOB, 'cause the way you keep insulting local dj's i think you must be getting close to committing it and i think you will be meeting those tasteless,classless and unimaginative people before very long..........be careful SOULFUL BOB!!!!!!!

Edited by tyrone
Social source share

If you have known him for 100 years, you must be an old git! By the way shouldn't you change your handle to SUICIDE BOB, 'cause the way you keep insulting local dj's i think you must be getting close to committing it and i think you will be meeting those tasteless,classless and u

nimaginative people before very long..........be careful SOULFUL BOB!!!!!!!

not a problem be at wellingborough on friday, cliff steele dj,ing thats my only reason for going .

repeat so you dont get confused the only people in this area that have any records are cliff steele, tony parker,hammie, pete hulatt,steve cooper, the only other people trying are baz bond, lennie dopson and geoff ware the rest should buy some tunes or sit down

Social source share

If you have known him for 100 years, you must be an old git! By the way shouldn't you change your handle to SUICIDE BOB, 'cause the way you keep insulting local dj's i think you must be getting close to committing it and i think you will be meeting those tasteless,classless and unimaginative people before very long..........be careful SOULFUL BOB!!!!!!!

Hi Tyrone

Nice to see another new member on here, any chance of an intro, here:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

not a problem be at wellingborough on friday, cliff steele dj,ing thats my only reason for going .

repeat so you dont get confused the only people in this area that have any records are cliff steele, tony parker,hammie, pete hulatt,steve cooper, the only other people trying are baz bond, lennie dopson and geoff ware the rest should buy some tunes or sit down

===========

Pete Burton? Mike Bolderson? Steve Jackson? Katrina? Matt Smart? Adam? And what's all this soulful Bob about? :D

Social source share

fair play winston good dj,s to a man and girl even though l don,t always like some of the stuff they all play . they all have the right ethos and get out to lots of do,s .===========

Pete Burton? Mike Bolderson? Steve Jackson? Katrina? Matt Smart? Adam? And what's all this soulful Bob about? :D

Social source share

Well, whatever. You are sounding like an old cracked record stuck in the "I hate Northants" groove yourself, which has been your only repetitive contribution so far to the site. What's the matter, buy a duff pair of shoes along the line somewhere? laugh.gif

Social source share

Terry, what intrigues me is you keep saying about places like lifeline & progressive venues, yet you collect u.k. pressed oldies. not knocking that for a second as so do i. but was just wondering...lets say you were at a venue somewhere, the d.j. was playing things like Chubby Checker, Tony Middleton, H.Lands etc. you turn round to your mates & say sod this & go up to the decks to have a moan, but you're confronted by a d.j. playing from a box full of mint u.k., would you tell him to get a life? or say blindin set mate? Just a thought biggrin.gif

Social source share

Terry, what intrigues me is you keep saying about places like lifeline & progressive venues, yet you collect u.k. pressed oldies. not knocking that for a second as so do i. but was just wondering...lets say you were at a venue somewhere, the d.j. was playing things like Chubby Checker, Tony Middleton, H.Lands etc. you turn round to your mates & say sod this & go up to the decks to have a moan, but you're confronted by a d.j. playing from a box full of mint u.k., would you tell him to get a life? or say blindin set mate? Just a thought :unsure:

BRILLIANT!!!!

Edited by jemco
Social source share

=============

How come there's all these personal arguments going on in Cookie's thread? Wouldn't have happened in Shane's day :D

its only been a few days and look at state of site

whole of northamptonshire ablaze in civil war

new members dishing out vieled threats

(can ya imagine getting done over by a gang of cd/boot oldies djs - reckon be a bit predicatable , using someones else insults and loads of " ah no not the kick to the head knew that was coming next " :yes:

name soulfulbob reshowing on hereafter a fair few years ( are you the same soulful from the dome impressions thread all that time ago? )

a dale wilton of all people thread getting people kicking off :unsure:

anyone got Shanes new work number :yes:

think need some thread spiltting here

(just done some - orig thread split into two)

Social source share

Oh Mike does this mean you're giving your permission for a big old row :yes: In that case...(let me have a think about who I can upset :D ) I think Baz is a rubbish dj as I've never heard of any of that old 60s rubbish he plays and I've heard him play at least once. He should take my advice and slip in a few modern oldies-I've got a reissue of Greg perry, It Takes Heart that he can buy off me for a fiver :yes: Take some advice off somebody who knows( I'm out at least twice a year)...it's what people want and the quicker you realise it the better :unsure:

Social source share

He's never off the phone to me Mike, apparently, he can't bear to watch as "Rome burns" as he puts it. :unsure:

I think he may withdraw his notice at this rate :D

:yes:

my empire, my empire!

back to the original topic...i have been on the scene for a only a very limited time compared to most and i was bored of the same old after around 2 years. god knows how the original wigan crowd can still listen to the old stuff week in week out!

shane

Social source share

:unsure:

my empire, my empire!

back to the original topic...i have been on the scene for a only a very limited time compared to most and i was bored of the same old after around 2 years. god knows how the original wigan crowd can still listen to the old stuff week in week out!

shane

ahh but are they the original crowd ?

ps, been trying to ring ya shane :yes:

Social source share

=============

How come there's all these personal arguments going on in Cookie's thread? Wouldn't have happened in Shane's day :D

prezactly :yes:

just wanted to add mind you...im not old enough to have gone to wigan..my older brothers went and they were key to getting me into soul music....but i was soulfully dragged up by the likes of yate..stafford and of course the 100 club...these places thrived on new sounds and were heaving cos even back in the early 80's people were fed up with hearing the same ole same ole every week.....

cookie :unsure:

Edited by bitchdj
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

(can ya imagine getting done over by a gang of cd/boot oldies djs - reckon be a bit predicatable , using someones else insults and loads of " ah no not the kick to the head knew that was coming next " :yes:

:unsure: It'd be like watching Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks wrestling. Oldies v Newies, tried and tested but predictable techniques like the haymaker and splashdown against sneaky ninja style high risk tactics? Spencers and vests or the black pyjamas? Who'll win?

Threads like this are dead funny, mate of mine reckons that people into soul must be really lovely, cool, chilled out people but I reckon people are more often a mixture of Victor Meldrew and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Social source share

:unsure:

my empire, my empire!

shane

Yup, as an occasional DJ (when anyone allows me behind the decks) what you play in part depends on the type of venue you are at, and also the time you are on.

So if I can put it another way using two examples, at the Bass Museum later this month it'll be mainly new (i.e unplayed / less played) material from the 70s / 80s. At an across the board northern night last hour or two (as in Letchworth last Friday), it'll be mainly known sounds / oldies with fewer first time spins.

IMHO starting DJs should always thank the previous jock (whatever they might think); it's just common courtesy after a set. No one sets out to play a bad set, so all this "last set cr*p" stuff sounds severe.

Social source share

ahh but are they the original crowd ?

ps, been trying to ring ya shane :yes:

:D

i have met people at oldies events who have told me they have been on the scene over 30 years. this usually means they went to wigan with their older brother twice in '76. They then met a girl, got married and had kids and was never to be seen again. Then by accident in 2002 they attend a leaving do for their workmate, Plumber Pete, at the local WMC. After a few shandies they are dragged onto the floor by one of the ugly birds in accounts to dance to 'Jimmy Mac'. Whilst trying to do the moves again they try to tell Sandra in accounts that they use to dance to this 30 years ago and in a drunken slur they also tell Sandra that 'you never lose the magic'. Sandra tells him that she loves all this motown stuff and regularly attends a local soul night once a month. This causes the returnee to lose sleep thinking about the 'glory days' and how it all went wrong which then sees him divorcing his wife, buying some baggy trousers, a few patches and a couple of pressings.

i bet my bottom dollar that this story is exactly true for someone :unsure:

shane

Social source share

Oh Mike does this mean you're giving your permission for a big old row :D In that case...(let me have a think about who I can upset :D ) I think Baz is a rubbish dj as I've never heard of any of that old 60s rubbish he plays and I've heard him play at least once. He should take my advice and slip in a few modern oldies-I've got a reissue of Greg perry, It Takes Heart that he can buy off me for a fiver :yes: Take some advice off somebody who knows( I'm out at least twice a year)...it's what people want and the quicker you realise it the better :unsure:

:D Now then Reg dont make me tell you what you should do with that Greg Perry record tongue.gif

didn't really want to get involved in this thread much after i posted that little ditty, but the crazy thing is im my earlyer spot i played what many of us would class as overplayed, floor was full job done so decided to be a bit more adventurous in the second spot with a few 'new' bits didn't go down to well but there you go no skin off my back some people like to get to know tunes befor they dance to them, but to call the likes of Eddie Whitehead, boss four, little herman ect ect shit you aint a northern soul fan :yes:

looking back remember summin about nothing ground breaking or that rare spun.......that was never the idea of my self and lennys spots, all though i would say Johhny Rodgers and Eddie Whitehead are pretty f**kin rare to name two, my own veiw point was to mix it up old and 'new'..... known and not so well known, no one was trying to be ground breaking or play the rarest you can find.

P.S it does say on the flyer oldies and newies and 60's & 70's dancefloor soul.

Some one else mentioned about he did the job and filled the floor..he may have done, but so did i, and i did it with me own records not playing CD's and gobbing off on the mike with verbal cancer.

Social source share

its only been a few days and look at state of site

whole of northamptonshire ablaze in civil war

new members dishing out vieled threats

(can ya imagine getting done over by a gang of cd/boot oldies djs - reckon be a bit predicatable , using someones else insults and loads of " ah no not the kick to the head knew that was coming next " :D

name soulfulbob reshowing on hereafter a fair few years ( are you the same soulful from the dome impressions thread all that time ago? )

a dale wilton of all people thread getting people kicking off :unsure:

anyone got Shanes new work number :yes:

think need some thread spiltting here

(just done some - orig thread split into two)

It's in our history! Why do you think the deciding battle of the English Civil War was fought in Northants? :yes: Let me get me helmet and I'll be back......... :D

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert