The awesome Shotts Allnighters

Lovely memories of Allanton, one of the best ever, and thats after driving from London on a regular basis!

Not many, if any, worth that trip these days!

Funniest thing I remember was upon approaching the village, several cars came towards us flashing their headlights. Wondered what was happening, and on arriving, saw a police van and a couple of coppers outside the venue! passed strait by, and out the other side of the village, sat in a lay-by 'til 3, wondering what to do, as we were sure it was a raid!

Went for a drive past, expecting it to be closed, and the place was jumping! So.. we park up and go in. Everybody's going "Where the f**k have you been!" Turns out a local had fallen off his moped outside! :lol:

Happy days!

Bloody hell I remember that night!

Allanton was nothing short of superb. Great music, great people and truly great memories!!!

gary

Social source share

• Replies 141
  • Views 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

Bloody hell I remember that night!

Allanton was nothing short of superb. Great music, great people and truly great memories!!!

gary

:lol: Don't want another like that! Used to take us 'til 6pm Sunday to get back to London,so brought enough 'supplies' to see us thru. Downed the lot in the lay-by, just to be 'safe' then sat there geting more and more paranoid..... :lol:

Social source share

:lol: Don't want another like that! Used to take us 'til 6pm Sunday to get back to London,so brought enough 'supplies' to see us thru. Downed the lot in the lay-by, just to be 'safe' then sat there geting more and more paranoid..... :D

Hope that was sticking to the speed limit :lol:

I was lucky it took me about 20 mins to get home from Allanton.

gary

Social source share

Hope that was sticking to the speed limit :thumbup:

I was lucky it took me about 20 mins to get home from Allanton.

gary

Went quite a few times travelling from Northants area, was a brill nite sounds and people wise and definatly a good time in my soul life. We went first few times on Guys coach from derby train station, think they picked up at a pub Skipton? All ways remember being blocked and just buyin a paper at the sevices on the way home, think the Sunday sport had just come out anyway the headlines Man weds lettuce blew me away... it was a paper made for soulies on their homward trip!! Kev drage and myself drove a minibus picking Pete Hollander and the Crewe crowd up. I always got to drive over Shap summit on the way home, remember a Blizzard one time, I lost the colour in my sight for 2 days. Then we just went by car after that. 8 hrs each way. Remember talking to a Scottish lad who had relations in Corby, he asked if its rough reputation was justified, I told him a local saying " Go Corby for a laff come home in stitches" great times Chalky, Mick Howard, Rob Marriot, Gilly, Pablo, Ady Harley the real deal people I have a few photos but a lot of good memories. Kimbo.

Social source share

Absolutely my friend!!

Got a dvd of the 3rd anniversary from Andy Dennison a few months ago.... i tell you Baz... it's not until you watch it do you realise how bloody good the music was back then... JUST AWESOME! :D

The quality of music is getting better week by week... just my opinion of course... but it's still got a long, long way to go till it catches up with the quality that was being played in the late 80s early 90s.

:unsure: Anyone know where I can get hold of one of these DVDs?

Dave

Social source share

Still in touch with the Walls Brothers and had the pleasure of their company at Kerso's 40th at the Sub Club in September. Two of the best people I have every been blessed to meet.

Shotts was one of the best allnighters I ever travelled to. Music, people and the journey up made it for me :D

With you there Mr Byrne..one of if not the best allnighter ever..........

Social source share

Yeah mate it was a innocent time, before i was beaten by the harshness of life laugh.gif shotts was deff the best of the english and scottish crowd, great memories of the capers including Tef and Ozzy getting 'banned' nearly every month by Jimmy O'Hara for there many antics, and there was the secret room at the back the stage where the world was put to rights

Harry Man, how you doin'?

Great if hazy memories of Shotts, remember Edwins' on where Pete wouldn't sell anything, he sold me a Jock Mitchell that night, irony maybe laugh.gif

Social source share

Question: there was a guy used to stand on the stage with a video camera at Shotts. He was there quite often. Who was he? Where is he now? Where are those videos???

Twas myself with the video, I remember the amount of times people saying " turn that bloody camera off "....Always went back to Jock O`Connors to watch it afterwords, great fun. Pants camera work, but captured the atmosphere of the place pretty well.....Did the video 2 years running 3rd and 4th anniversarys.....Alan and Steve Walls have the uncensored version, sure I have a copy somewhere...now that would hang a few of us :P

For the 4th anniversary I thought about interviews, absolute scream. Did a collective one, in the upstairs hall. Anybody remember it!!! Absolute riot everybody trying to speak at once..off there heeds. Absolutely the best time of my life, if granted a wish to go back in time that would be it,,,the people, the atmosphere, the music, the record bar.....back at Jocks after it. Dont get any better. smile.gif

Can do a 3rd anniversary dvd for anyone who wants one, no charge just send me your name and address.

cheers, Andy Dennison

Social source share

Twas myself with the video, I remember the amount of times people saying " turn that bloody camera off "....Always went back to Jock O`Connors to watch it afterwords, great fun. Pants camera work, but captured the atmosphere of the place pretty well.....Did the video 2 years running 3rd and 4th anniversarys.....Alan and Steve Walls have the uncensored version, sure I have a copy somewhere...now that would hang a few of us :P

For the 4th anniversary I thought about interviews, absolute scream. Did a collective one, in the upstairs hall. Anybody remember it!!! Absolute riot everybody trying to speak at once..off there heeds. Absolutely the best time of my life, if granted a wish to go back in time that would be it,,,the people, the atmosphere, the music, the record bar.....back at Jocks after it. Dont get any better. :lol:

Can do a 3rd anniversary dvd for anyone who wants one, no charge just send me your name and address.

cheers, Andy Dennison

Top post Andy!

And so true!

They were the best days ever imo. People and music wise. Just fab!

Anybody remember Pete Lawson in his underpants and vest in the record bar? laugh.gif

Social source share

Andy I think I might need another one as I lent it out and haven't got it back.

Yes Joan look at your hair, how come I get all the stick for my mullet which was a perfectly normal look for young man of those days (well maybe not so young!!). Sure your hubby will remember the interviews upstairs that Andy is talking about and sure he will pay a high sum to get it destroyed. :Pbiggrin.gif

And can somebody please tell that Bullying Northampton mob that the video was fancy dress, and not my normal attire

Great days indeed, often wonder if the people I sold the flat too found any strange people in the cupboards.

Will comment on this more, currently fighting a losing battle on other PC at moment.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Yes Joan look at your hair, how come I get all the stick for my mullet which was a perfectly normal look for young man of those days (well maybe not so young!!). Sure your hubby will remember the interviews upstairs that Andy is talking about and sure he will pay a high sum to get it destroyed. :lol::P

:Plaugh.gif

I have just pm'd Andy about getting hold of a copy of that video!

On the subject of mullet's - you wouldn't want me to post some of your finest moments now would you? :lol:

Social source share

:yes:laugh.gif

I have just pm'd Andy about getting hold of a copy of that video!

On the subject of mullet's - you wouldn't want me to post some of your finest moments now would you? :D

Joan on the case of the xxx version...Might be an idea if it stayed lost for a lot of us.... :)

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Twas myself with the video, I remember the amount of times people saying " turn that bloody camera off "....Always went back to Jock O`Connors to watch it afterwords, great fun. Pants camera work, but captured the atmosphere of the place pretty well.....Did the video 2 years running 3rd and 4th anniversarys.....Alan and Steve Walls have the uncensored version, sure I have a copy somewhere...now that would hang a few of us :)

For the 4th anniversary I thought about interviews, absolute scream. Did a collective one, in the upstairs hall. Anybody remember it!!! Absolute riot everybody trying to speak at once..off there heeds. Absolutely the best time of my life, if granted a wish to go back in time that would be it,,,the people, the atmosphere, the music, the record bar.....back at Jocks after it. Dont get any better. :yes:

cheers, Andy Dennison

HI YA I USED TO GO WITH GUY ROB ECT. WOULD LOVE DVD OF SHOTTS PLEASE. MICK PAYNE 37 BESTWOOD LODGE DRIVE ARNOLD NOTTS NG58NE OK? PS I.M STILL GOING TO THE BETTER SOUL DOOS STILL & IM 62 NOW LOL

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Soulie007

I went a few times. Catford Chris used to come by from Sth London and pick me up in Watford.

Joulie now his wife and Caroline used to be in the car too plus others but can't remember who they were.

It was wonderful arriving in the village so far way from home at midnite and dance the night away crazy to great sounds.

Yeah the outside toilets were freezing.

I remember coming out one morning and there was snow all around and the are looked really Chrismassy.

The car journeys were fun, the music was fantastic, the atmosphere was the greatest the memories will never be forgotten.

Thanks to Catford Chris Dale for taking me there and thanks to all the Dj's and all who attended to make the Shotts alniters great.

Social source share

Alan and Steve Walls have the uncensored version, sure I have a copy somewhere...now that would hang a few of us :thumbsup:

cheers, Andy Dennison

Saw this round at Kerso's with Alan many years ago. Bloody right It'd hang a few of you. :lol::wub:

As I remember us English came in for a bashing :) All in good humour though :P

One of the best spots I've ever heard at a nighter was at Shotts when Dean and Kitch had just come back from the states with loads of new cover ups, although some were un covered almost immediately ala Weak Spot I think this was the night when Dean spun his Little Beaver C/U: I can't speak - Jimmy Bo Horn for the first time.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

We went first few times on Guys coach from derby train station, think they picked up at a pub Skipton?

You are correct Kimbo - we were collected on route as Guy and Margret both originated from Skipton, then moved to Derby. Great memories of Shotts and dexies and bennies.

Never enjoyed the ride back north, but glad we got dropped off first.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Thanks for the DVD Andy-it's all come flooding back. And good to have a reminder of the early days of Tef's woo-ing of Sharon......Cary Grant, eat your heart out.

I hope that the camera had some sort of distorting lens:it's a bit of a shocker to see how freakishly long my arms look! I never noticed before. Maybe the rest of my body's caught up since, I was only a nipper after all. :(

Social source share

You are correct Kimbo - we were collected on route as Guy and Margret both originated from Skipton, then moved to Derby. Great memories of Shotts and dexies and bennies.

Never enjoyed the ride back north, but glad we got dropped off first.

Hi, there was a guy that used to go everywhere think he used to get on at Skipton tallish. wore a blazer and a tartan scarf. He used to dance real slow but it just oozed soul. I would stand and just watch. OOH remember dex and Bennie well. Best Kimbo.

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Hi, there was a guy that used to go everywhere think he used to get on at Skipton tallish. wore a blazer and a tartan scarf. He used to dance real slow but it just oozed soul. I would stand and just watch. OOH remember dex and Bennie well. Best Kimbo.

I remember that guy, no matter the tempo of the record being played, he would do the same soulful shuffle all night whilst others used up the whole dancefloor and were virtually bouncing off the walls...happy days.

Does anybody remember a guy in a psychedellic hoody walking in, sitting in the middle of the dancefloor for a couple of records, then walking out again?

Ali

Social source share

Baz, I remember Colin Law announcing his next tune and hadn`t put a record onto the turntable...

" F**kin shithot, get on the fuckin dance floor........" silence!!! No record!!!

Priceless wacko.gif

Andy

He was a proper character and cult figure with us lot,due to his dancing in horizontal and vertical lines ,our crack was there is colin sorting his alotment out :thumbup: once ran in the field next door with Rob Marriot for a piss we both got a hold of the fence and it was electric :lol: .

Andy not got the dvd can you do me one mate ill pm you address.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Baz, I remember Colin Law announcing his next tune and hadn`t put a record onto the turntable...

" F**kin shithot, get on the fuckin dance floor........" silence!!! No record!!!

Priceless wacko.gif

Andy

Was this when Ozzy decided to turn the decks off when Colin was Djing :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

wore a blazer and a tartan scarf.

And may I add only wore a tartan scarf for "Scottish niters only" - english turncoat :thumbup: .

Social source share

Was this when Ozzy decided to turn the decks off when Colin was Djing laugh.gif

Byrney...been tryin to remember Ozzys name for f**kin ages. He was kind of manic weren`t he!!!!. Is he still out and about? I`m sure it was Ozzy and Micky Cruise that when we went back to Jocks or Ady Harleys after one Allanton/Shotts they wouldn`t let anybody near the decks or the tape player. Kept playin the same song over and over, can`t remember what one now..crazy but fond memories!!!

Social source share

Priceless wacko.gif

Andy

He was a proper character and cult figure with us lot,due to his dancing in horizontal and vertical lines ,our crack was there is colin sorting his allotment out laugh.gif once ran in the field next door with Rob Marriot for a piss we both got a hold of the fence and it was electric laugh.gif .

Andy not got the dvd can you do me one mate ill pm you address.

BAZ A

Brilliant :thumbup:

Sent you a pm Baz, seen Colin on Saturday at Aberdeen allnighter....he was djing and played a really solid set. Still the same enthusiasm behind the decks. Not seen Rob for years, for me he was absolutely one of the best djs around. Tip top guy as well, never tried to bamboozle you with how much he knew, always talked at the required knowledge level.(if you know what I mean)

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Byrney...been tryin to remember Ozzys name for f**kin ages. He was kind of manic weren`t he!!!!. Is he still out and about? I`m sure it was Ozzy and Micky Cruise that when we went back to Jocks or Ady Harleys after one Allanton/Shotts they wouldn`t let anybody near the decks or the tape player. Kept playin the same song over and over, can`t remember what one now..crazy but fond memories!!!

I'm sorry to say that Ozzy passed away a few years back Andy, he's greatly missed as are our other mates who are no longer with us. But yeah manic, funny, a fookin great pain, pure mischief and a top, top lad could all describe Oz.

Scene just doesn't seem the same without him trying to cause mayhem. It was always a good crack trying to get past the likes of Oz, Chris Ashby, Mole, Woody, Phill Worrell and the other dodgy retrobates that hung fruit machines, corridors and the bogs trying to trip you up as you mooched by em. Smiling menaces the lot of em biggrin.gif added to that unique nighter feel.

Sounds like the kinda thing Micky and Oz would have done, bet it drove Jock mad laugh.gif

Social source share

For those of you who may be interested, Andy Dennison did a two-page article on these events in Soul View II, issue 2, May 2006. If anyone wants a copy and demand is enough I'll get copies done and £2 from every copy sold will go to Cancer Research, PM for more details.

David

Social source share

Brilliant :D

Sent you a pm Baz, seen Colin on Saturday at Aberdeen allnighter....he was djing and played a really solid set. Still the same enthusiasm behind the decks. Not seen Rob for years, for me he was absolutely one of the best djs around. Tip top guy as well, never tried to bamboozle you with how much he knew, always talked at the required knowledge level.(if you know what I mean)

Both Colin and Jock did a set at Lifeline last year, great they were too, one of the best nights at Lifeline for me.

Was it Treviski who said he didn't get back to London till 6? Bloody hell it was a bout 5pm when coach dropped us off in Derby :lol: Then a train back to Chesterfield, few bevvy's in town to aid the sleep, was bout midnight when we got home :Dblink.gif

Social source share

Brilliant :lol:

I DO AGREE HE ALSO FELL ASLEEP IN AL CONEYS BATH FOR SEVEN HOURS AFTER A HECTIC WEEKEND :lol:

BAZ A

PS DO YOU KNOW THE STORY OF THE REEL TO REEL STUFF UNDER CONEYS BED?

Social source share

Very interesting reading and here's my story :

Grew up in Falkirk , Scotland and got into the scene via my mates big brother , ( when you've got a 20yr old trying to " come down " in his bedroom after a night at wigan and two 13 yr olds playing his newly bought records at high volume mid afternoon , it ain't happening !!!!! )

Started properly on the scene at Crown Hotel , Thornton , then regular from start at Glenrothes YMCA , until end , before the move to Shotts /Allanton Ruff Cut Soul Club .

Memories of these " hazy " days to numerous to mention !!!

But stand out points have to be in no particular order ,

Keb playing the Fabulous Impacts ( Moments ) 5 times in one spot at Glenrothes 1st Annv ,with the immortal words " Stomp you bast****s "

Bus to Morecambe with Edinburgh lot , 3rd Annv at Central Pier , put nighter bag on coach floor only to discover soaked when got there due to back of bus having a piss !

Record bar at Shotts , great records , great mates, greater prices at that time !!! and in winter you really felt those bogs !!!!

The whole scene in scotland was at it's best at that time with the quality of dj's and their set of records , Colin Law , The Walls brothers , Mark Linton , Andy Dennison ( Hi Andy, it's Scott Lister ) and Jock O' Connor , pure class !!!

Shotts for the music , the dj's , the people who travelled month in / out and the friendliness wins it all folks , hands down !!!

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

:D Mr Dennison, following the Messheads flyer post, I'd like to remind you my lawyer is ready to subpoena your ass... :ohmy: (while I have the Allanton Uncut video, a DVD would be nice!)

Loving this thread, I had the good fortune to attend every Allanton and played at most of them.

While we knew at the time it was something special, I thought that was as much to do with the terrible state of the scene in England at that time. After Stafford, Niters seemed to come and go in the North and Midlands without any real continuity (was Blackburn the only substantial attempt to stem the tide?). It was a depressing time for the scene - and in the real world, with Thatcher and her mob on the rampage - and this seemed to be reflected in the lack of atmosphere and excitement. The imaginative selection of DJ's and what they played, and the atmosphere generated, were the reason's for Allanton's success, but it wasn't rocket science: we just believed that when you're out at a niter, you've got to go for it. Get your head out of that sales box and get on the floor. Jim O'Hara and his team were collectors who danced, we knew our music and we knew that the greatest way to enjoy it was to dance. Simple, really.

It definately started in 88. I can say that with absolute certainty 'cos it was Celtic's Centenary year and I remember wearing a commemorative T Shirt to the first night! Last one was December 91 or 92. Maybe Jock will remember, as he still had stragglers at his flat on the following Tuesday (by the way Jock, that was the last time I saw my Clyde McPhatter 'Welcome Home' LP...).

Pleasantly surprised and delighted to see Allanton is remembered so fondly. Thanks to Baz for the thread. :D

Social source share

:D Mr Dennison, following the Messheads flyer post, I'd like to remind you my lawyer is ready to subpoena your ass... :ohmy: (while I have the Allanton Uncut video, a DVD would be nice!)

Loving this thread, I had the good fortune to attend every Allanton and played at most of them.

While we knew at the time it was something special, I thought that was as much to do with the terrible state of the scene in England at that time. After Stafford, Niters seemed to come and go in the North and Midlands without any real continuity (was Blackburn the only substantial attempt to stem the tide?). It was a depressing time for the scene - and in the real world, with Thatcher and her mob on the rampage - and this seemed to be reflected in the lack of atmosphere and excitement. The imaginative selection of DJ's and what they played, and the atmosphere generated, were the reason's for Allanton's success, but it wasn't rocket science: we just believed that when you're out at a niter, you've got to go for it. Get your head out of that sales box and get on the floor. Jim O'Hara and his team were collectors who danced, we knew our music and we knew that the greatest way to enjoy it was to dance. Simple, really.

It definately started in 88. I can say that with absolute certainty 'cos it was Celtic's Centenary year and I remember wearing a commemorative T Shirt to the first night! Last one was December 91 or 92. Maybe Jock will remember, as he still had stragglers at his flat on the following Tuesday (by the way Jock, that was the last time I saw my Clyde McPhatter 'Welcome Home' LP...).

Pleasantly surprised and delighted to see Allanton is remembered so fondly. Thanks to Baz for the thread. :D

Alan, have sent you a pm. My email is andydenn976@aol.com if you want to send me your address. You have the only xxx copy of the DVD mate.

Andy

Social source share

:thumbsup: Mr Dennison, following the Messheads flyer post, I'd like to remind you my lawyer is ready to subpoena your ass... :lol: (while I have the Allanton Uncut video, a DVD would be nice!)

Pleasantly surprised and delighted to see Allanton is remembered so fondly. Thanks to Baz for the thread. :thumbsup:

Good to see you on here Alan and best TO your Steve also,2 genuine brothers of soul!!

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

Till this day every time I hear certain tunes I'm right back at Shotts. It was the first northern allnighters I went to, 19 yo with the previous years having been spent at mod nights. Shotts opened my ears and heart to so many great tunes, which still fuels my passion for the music and scene till this day. For this I will forever be grateful for the ruff cut guys and the DJ's that played there.

Des

Social source share

Till this day every time I hear certain tunes I'm right back at Shotts. It was the first northern allnighters I went to, 19 yo with the previous years having been spent at mod nights. Shotts opened my ears and heart to so many great tunes, which still fuels my passion for the music and scene till this day. For this I will forever be grateful for the ruff cut guys and the DJ's that played there.

Des

Aawww, know what Des, that was absolutely beautiful, nearly in tears, what a wonderful compliment to Shotts and the guys....hope to see you at Frasers night, Blacktrackin in Glasgow on 25th.

Kind regards

Phyllis

Edited by philly
Social source share

nearly in tears, what a wonderful compliment to Shotts and the guys....hope to see you at Frasers night, Blacktrackin in Glasgow on 25th.

Kind regards

Phyllis

Thanks Phyllis, came from the heart, I get a bit melancholy when it comes to Shotts.

Be great to see you at Blacktrackin on the 25th. :wicked:

Does anyone remember the night that there was a cauliflower or maybe it was a cabbage on the dancefloor for a large part of the night. Or was I just seeing things? :thumbsup:

For some reason I think it was a night that Rodger Banks was on the decks.

Des

Social source share

Aye, and from what I can remember of it, it'll be staying that way! ph34r.gif:D

Hail Aldo! hows tricks loon? we had capers a plenty and many great times at Shotts, (that whole era in fact) :lol: good to see you on board catch up soon

Social source share

Thanks Phyllis, came from the heart, I get a bit melancholy when it comes to Shotts.

Be great to see you at Blacktrackin on the 25th. smile.gif

Does anyone remember the night that there was a cauliflower or maybe it was a cabbage on the dancefloor for a large part of the night. Or was I just seeing things? :D

For some reason I think it was a night that Rodger Banks was on the decks.

Des

No weren't seeing things Des, it was Bruce and the mob from Preston that put the cabbage on the dancefloor not sure why

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert