Pop Backing Tracks That Could Have Made It ?

Often hear classic tracks on the radio and i think great Northern beat if the instrumental was available, some to mind are...

Sonny and Cher - Beat goes on

Cat Stevens - Mathew and Son

Animals - Get out of this place

Oh yes, and the Bowie Dancing Gnome !!

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Another couple or three

Never known a girl like you before - Edwyn Collins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7d36TFnwqo

Temptation - Heaven 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWw60hLS7i0

Wedding bells - Godley and Creme

https://www.hotget.com/videocode/Godley---C...36cd83cbde62490

Anything by The Fine young Cannibals- Roland Gifts voice was incredible

Edited by Craig W
Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Edwyn Collins had the nite owl logo on the floor for the video NEVER KNOWN A GIRL LIKE YOU BEFORE..... Was he hopin for a major crossover :rolleyes: WE'LL NEVER KNOW................. Kev :shades:

Social source share

Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees, for the 70s lovers hahaha

CHeers

I always thought that these would have made good instrumentals ......

" Stone Free " - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

" Una Paloma Blanca " - The George Baker Selection

With regard to a more " recent " track ( 1995 ) , Queen - " You Don't Fool Me " from the album " Made In Heaven " : This was the last album Queen made before the death of Freddie Mercury , and has a pounding / stomping backing . as to whether or not it was due to FM being in his last days , the track does not have that Queen " sound " , and is untypical of them .

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday , January 20th - 7.30 PM to 1 AM

7th Anniversary Evening

Special guest DJ - Torch and Blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Often hear classic tracks on the radio and i think great Northern beat if the instrumental was available, some to mind are...

Sonny and Cher - Beat goes on

Cat Stevens - Mathew and Son

Animals - Get out of this place

Oh yes, and the Bowie Dancing Gnome !!

Andy

mathew and son inst was played at wigan it is on a mfp album or something like that.

mark

Social source share

Good thread this. Slightly off topic, but I always thought Mason Williams Classical Gas had a lot of the right elements. I guess that didn't count since it's an instrumental that just wasn't quite "right".

Good shout on the Redbone track. Same goes for Diiferent Drum - both great records.b And yes, cat Stevens was playd at Wigan. It was a good time to quit the scene for a while! (Fab song though)

Colin

Social source share

i thought classical gas was played on the scene ?

Also i once heard a rumor Teardrop Explodes - Reward was played in end days of Wigan ?

Andy

Andy - you may well be right. I never heard it out, but I did have a long break.

How about Spencer Davis, Gimme some lovin? That would surely have been a monster if it had been an obscure flop. In fact tons of their stuff. Yes, I know Trampoline was played! shhh.gif

Colin

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Jo Boxers - Doin The Boxer Beat

THE OTHER ONE..............

JUST GOT LUCKY ......FAB

AND THE BLACK ARABS SEX PISTOLS TRACK FROM THE FILM!!!! SUPERB!!!

Social source share

Colin, Spencer Davis - Gimme some lovin was played, i remember dancing to it at Blackburn early 1990's, and thought it was an old Wheel sound.

Presume 4 seasons track is "Walk like a man" - yep, great backing track, along with many others by them.

Andy

Social source share

Colin, Spencer Davis - Gimme some lovin was played, i remember dancing to it at Blackburn early 1990's, and thought it was an old Wheel sound.

Presume 4 seasons track is "Walk like a man" - yep, great backing track, along with many others by them.

Andy

On the subject of The Four Seasons , their track - " Opus 17 " - which was a big club sound when I was a lad , is a cracking tune .... It would have made a brilliant instrumental .

With regard to The Spencer Davis Group , I always thought that their instrumental " Trampoline " ( another big 60s club sound ) cried out to have a vocal on top of it .

That starts me onto another thread ...... What instrumentals do you think warrented having a vocal on the top of it ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Anyone ever hear a song called Pay You back With Interest by Dana Gillespie? It's a Hollies song I think. This is from about 1965. Anyway 3/4 of the way through comes an instrumental break which is just so northern it's unbelievable - chime bars, brass, the works - sadly it's only about 20 seconds long. Actually the entite track is fantastic but if I had an mp3 trimmer I'd send up just the inst.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone ever hear a song called Pay You back With Interest by Dana Gillespie? It's a Hollies song I think. This is from about 1965. Anyway 3/4 of the way through comes an instrumental break which is just so northern it's unbelievable - chime bars, brass, the works - sadly it's only about 20 seconds long. Actually the entite track is fantastic but if I had an mp3 trimmer I'd send up just the inst.

The Hollies' own 1966 version is also fantastic, Pete, but like Dana's it's partly a waltz and partly a stomper. It was issued on a 45 almost everywhere in the world except the UK (the Hollies, not Dana's) and is totally recommended to all fans of psychedelic pop...

TONE

Social source share

The Hollies' own 1966 version is also fantastic, Pete, but like Dana's it's partly a waltz and partly a stomper. It was issued on a 45 almost everywhere in the world except the UK (the Hollies, not Dana's) and is totally recommended to all fans of psychedelic pop...

TONE

Dana Gillespie ....... stop it . :boxing:

Malc Burton

post-5097-1168279148.jpg

Social source share

I remember seeing her in that film with Doug McLure - something like The Land That Time Forgot, in about 1973. Got through a whole box of tissues that week.

Hi Pete ....

Nearly , but not quite .....

The film that Dana Gillespie was in with Doug McClure was that 1977 cinematic masterpiece " The PEOPLE That Time Forgot " , in which she played the part of Ajar .

To stir your memory , Dana is the one on the right of the photograph . Kleenex, anyone ? :boxing:

Malc Burton

post-5097-1168280702_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest denmac

in the year 2525 Zager & evens !!!!!!

stompsville!!! i played this a few years ago under the banner was/should it have been played at wigan.four people said it was!!!! one guy said that he had the instrumental.a couple told me to stop taking the piss..couple::it was xmas.

mobbsy you saw the connection to the rca dried diper production team as i did.

Social source share

Good shout on the Redbone track.

Quite interesting to note the similarities between Joe Hicks AGC label sides ("Don't It Make You Feel Funky", "Got To Be Free" and "Soul Meetin'") and Redbone's "Witch Queen Of New Orleans". Pat Vegas who later was a member of Redbone produced (and co-wrote some of) the AGC sides.

The Pat & Lolly Vegas LP on Mercury does by the way include a handful or so of fine northern styled tracks. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Shakin Stevens - Feel the Need In Me (special dance mix) but wouldn't it be great to imagine he had secretly recorded a Northern soul track. his soul input has been with Feel The Need In Me, Come See About Me and I'll Be Satisfied he recorded but wonder how or why he choose them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert