The Madison Brothers & Daniel Madison

Mal C

This is one of those 'Just noticed' things.  Tim Brown has a 45 for auction just now by 'Daniel Madison' called 'It Dont Matter baby' was checking it out on YT and noticed a really early 45 by the The Madison Brothers entitled 'Whats the Matter Baby'.  They don't sound a like to me at all, but thats not to say its not one of the brothers with a re written lyrics on an old song?  wonder if anybody recognises these, they look very obscure, was daniel part of the Madison Brothers?

Tim's Auction Blurb : VERY obscure Macon, Georgia release from the totally unknown Daniel Madison revealing an excellent midtempo number. Flip it over to find ‘Funky Popcorn’ which has enough funk for Funk fans but enough buzz for Northern fans too.

a bit tentative, but thats what this site is all about right...? joining the dots

daniel-madison.jpg

Madison-Brothers---Cedar-Grove.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Macon and Broomall ate 800 miles apart, one could have travelled but instinct says unrelated.  They don’t look Australian looking at their photo if that is them?

I’ve known the Daniel Madison for years since Andy Dyson got it.  Infact the only two in the flesh are via Andy, he sold one to Tim.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Mal C said:

and just to add a leftfield fling to this, Wiki has "Don't Call Me Baby" as a song by Australian house music duo Madison Avenue... thats just odd...

It's one of those weird coincidences- it's a completely different song- 

MadAv.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Macon and Broomall ate 800 miles apart, one could have travelled but instinct says unrelated.  They don’t look Australian looking at their photo if that is them?

I’ve known the Daniel Madison for years since Andy Dyson got it.  Infact the only two in the flesh are via Andy, he sold one to Tim.

I agree, highly likely thery are no connected. Nice track though that Daniel Madison, won't set the world on fire but if your into the seriously rare...its a good one.  I really liked the 'Soul Experience' Who's Lips You Been Kissing he's auctioning also...

The house thang had to be unrealeted, but worth chucking in. Anyhow folks, have a listen, some rare records above, dont bother with the house track it's PISH.. 🤔

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

I agree, highly likely thery are no connected. Nice track though that Daniel Madison, won't set the world on fire but if your into the seriously rare...its a good one.  I really liked the 'Soul Experience' Who's Lips You Been Kissing he's auctioning also...

The house thang had to be unrealeted, but worth chucking in. Anyhow folks, have a listen, some rare records above, dont bother with the house track it's PISH.. 🤔

I think Li'l Steve must mean something and Tim McCabe from Atlanta wrote it, I will do some digging

This is Tim copyrighted link so I can't post photo 

https://digitalcollections.library.gsu.edu/digital/collection/ajc/id/352/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

You were correct no connection, he passed 11 years ago

Daniel "Little Stevie" Madison, Sr., 58, died Monday, November 23, 2009 in Macon.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/macon/name/daniel-madison-obituary?id=21114609

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Here is his obituary and picture

Daniel "Little Stevie" Madison, Sr. -MACON - Daniel "Little Stevie" Madison, Sr., 58, died Monday, November 23, 2009 in Macon. Services will be held at 11A.M. Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at Pentecostal Temple. Interment will be in Cherry Blossom Memorial Gardens. -Daniel leaves loving memories his wife, Bridgette; a devoted mother, Janie Mae Madison; one son, Daniel Jamal Madison, Jr.; one daughter, Antanya Madison; two brothers, the very devoted Earnest Madison, Jr. and Mack A. Madison, and a host of aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. -Family will receive friends on Monday, November 30, 2009 from 6:00 to 7:00 P.M. at Bentley and Sons Funeral Home. -The family will be contacted at 1367 Harris Street. -Services entrusted to Bentley and Sons Funeral Home, Macon. Daniel Madison

Published by The Telegraph on Nov. 29, 2009.

mtg-photo_2800448_112920091.jpgx.jpeg.f8e7481db2fbaf6f173589de36e2cec9.jpeg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Here is his obituary and picture

Daniel "Little Stevie" Madison, Sr. -MACON - Daniel "Little Stevie" Madison, Sr., 58, died Monday, November 23, 2009 in Macon. Services will be held at 11A.M. Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at Pentecostal Temple. Interment will be in Cherry Blossom Memorial Gardens. -Daniel leaves loving memories his wife, Bridgette; a devoted mother, Janie Mae Madison; one son, Daniel Jamal Madison, Jr.; one daughter, Antanya Madison; two brothers, the very devoted Earnest Madison, Jr. and Mack A. Madison, and a host of aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. -Family will receive friends on Monday, November 30, 2009 from 6:00 to 7:00 P.M. at Bentley and Sons Funeral Home. -The family will be contacted at 1367 Harris Street. -Services entrusted to Bentley and Sons Funeral Home, Macon. Daniel Madison

Published by The Telegraph on Nov. 29, 2009.

mtg-photo_2800448_112920091.jpgx.jpeg.f8e7481db2fbaf6f173589de36e2cec9.jpeg

The link was above Karl and people are capable of pressing a button aren't they ?

Social source share

7 hours ago, Chalky said:

Was offered a copy by Michael R a few years back, sadly didn’t have the funds at the time. Got snapped up pretty quick, i think this is an epic 45.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Adding to your 2 in the flesh Chalky, as mentioned right above I've had 2 here, one a million years back and kept, other added and then traded to a local GA collector 4/5 years ago, when got the first it was ungoogleable and the uptempo side was a playbox staple every time went over to Europe, have grown fond of the classy flip too

Edited by Pomonkey
Social source share

1 hour ago, Pomonkey said:

Adding to your 2 in the flesh Chalky, as mentioned right above I've had 2 here, one a million years back and kept, other added and then traded to a local GA collector 4/5 years ago, when got the first it was ungoogleable and the uptempo side was a playbox staple every time went over to Europe, have grown fond of the classy flip too

I knew you had one mate, and heard of others but still a mighty rare 45. 

Social source share

RE. Daniel Madison.  A reasonably rare record, but not as rare as suggested.  I know of a few more copies in Britain besides mine and a lot more overseas.  Commonly referred to as deep soul, 'it doesnt matter baby' has also been a firm favourite in Japan for decades and sure enough, that's where most of the copies of Transitional 101 reside. Many seem to forget that the majority of the rarest deep and sweet soul 45s  were shipped to Japan, way before we even understood those concepts.  Perhaps because of the language barriers and the distance between our countries, Japan very rarely gets mentioned in the rare soul discussion. That's a pity, because like the British, since the 60s they have been pioneers in finding and collecting rare soul records, especially the slower, ballad styles.

Scan 23.jpeg

Edited by neckender
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, neckender said:

RE. Daniel Madison.  A reasonably rare record, but not as rare as suggested.  I know of a few more copies in Britain besides mine and a lot more overseas.  Commonly referred to as deep soul, 'it doesnt matter baby' has also been a firm favourite in Japan for decades and sure enough, that's where most of the copies of Transitional 101 reside. Many seem to forget that the majority of the rarest deep and sweet soul 45s  were shipped to Japan, way before we even understood those concepts.  Perhaps because of the language barriers and the distance between our countries, Japan very rarely gets mentioned in the rare soul discussion. That's a pity, because like the British, since the 60s they have been pioneers in finding and collecting rare soul records, especially the slower, ballad styles.

Scan 23.jpeg

I have always thought that sometimes the British soul collectors seem to forget that the Japanese collectors exist and TBF they could be much better than we and the European or US are and got in to the Radio Stations in Asia, raided records from them after the Vietnam war, much to their delight and it must have been relative easy pickings. Wish I had thought of it. It would be fascinating for Tim / Manship and others to give a clue as to what % of their customers right now are from which parts of the world as all we seem to hear is price this and price that, so it leaves people like me guessing.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

4 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have always thought that sometimes the British soul collectors seem to forget that the Japanese collectors exist and TBF they could be much better than we and the European or US are and got in to the Radio Stations in Asia, raided records from them after the Vietnam war, much to their delight and it must have been relative easy pickings. Wish I had thought of it. It would be fascinating for Tim / Manship and others to give a clue as to what % of their customers right now are from which parts of the world as all we seem to hear is price this and price that, so it leaves people like me guessing.

I don't think they do, may be Northern Soul collectors and their insular view on things but not you serious collectors.   It would be foolish to ignore the Japanese and what they have done, it would be foolish to assume just X number of copies exist of a certain record.  This one, I've only ever seen the two copies but knew copies were in the hands of other collectors. 

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

I bought a copy of this in 1990 from a dealer in Georgia who said he got it off the artist, I then picked another up a few years later. Like Mark rightly says the Japanese really were (are) the leaders in most  kinds of soul music - although this imo isn't strictly deep soul, it is exactly what they like. In fact to further back this point up I first became aware of the record from a couple of the famous huge Far Eastern wants lists from the mid 80's. This side is still a firm favourite after all those years.

Social source share

On 16/03/2022 at 16:25, neckender said:

Scan 23.jpeg

I remember one sunny day early 2ks in Berlin when you told me that to be one of your (current?) fave tunes. A great record, the funk side is nice but average compared to so many of its genre whereas "It Dn`t matter" is indeed class. 

8 hours ago, Dysonsoul said:

I bought a copy of this in 1990 from a dealer in Georgia who said he got it off the artist, I then picked another up a few years later. Like Mark rightly says the Japanese really were (are) the leaders in most  kinds of soul music - although this imo isn't strictly deep soul, it is exactly what they like. In fact to further back this point up I first became aware of the record from a couple of the famous huge Far Eastern wants lists from the mid 80's. This side is still a firm favourite after all those years.

I remember buying mine of you in one of our "take the whole box with you, we meet tomorrow at yours to negotiate" occasions. great times. Hope your doing fine Andy. 

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

3 hours ago, Marc Forrest said:

I remember one sunny day early 2ks in Berlin when you told me that to be one of your (current?) fave tunes. A great record, the funk side is nice but average compared to so many of its genre whereas "It Dn`t matter" is indeed class. 

I remember buying mine of you in one of our "take the whole box with you, we meet tomorrow at yours to negotiate" occasions. great times. Hope your doing fine Andy. 

Oh yeh I forgot about that copy! All good this way mate - catch up soon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!