JMAuction - 08/06/2022 - Results!

Wow - very nice auction. Very ingenious records represented. Gladly again.
Cloud Records, Obscure Jady Records, Speed, ... strong demo copies, brutal stockers ... love the yellow J&W bow ...

That reminds me again - have a look: rarest stock copy there was a nice exchange here over a longer period of time 

Btw - Thorley started with a demo thread ...

Social source share

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

In 2 years The Fabulous Carousels goes from £20-£40 ...... idiots and their wallets

🙄 not sure where you get your figure from? There isn’t that much recent history for this.  I can find one sale for £100 in 2017, vg+. Another from2016 for $75. Don’t think there has been a sale on discogs for quite sometime either. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Chalky said:

🙄 not sure where you get your figure from? There isn’t that much recent history for this.  I can find one sale for £100 in 2017, vg+. Another from2016 for $75. Don’t think there has been a sale on discogs for quite sometime either. 

It looks like there are a few on Popsike👍

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=fabulous+carousels&sortord=dprice&pagenum=1&incldescr=&layout=&sprice=&eprice=&endfrom=&endthru=&bidsfrom=&bidsthru=&ovrsug=&flabel=&fcatno=

£15 - £89 range

Cheers

Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

The advantages of Popsike (I believe they measure sales on Ebay)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The advantages of Popsike (I believe they measure sales on Ebay)

Given that many buyers and sellers have just about given up with ebay its hardly a barometer of what is happening in the market place especially when it is fetching more elsewhere. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Given that many buyers and sellers have just about given up with ebay its hardly a barometer of what is happening in the market place especially when it is fetching more elsewhere. 

Well they are stupid then if the prices are cheaper (not always I appreciate) and there are those buyers with deep pockets that can't be bothered as well

Social source share

1 hour ago, Davey S said:

Think we've all been collecting long enough to know a record is worth precisely what someone is prepared to pay and even then it doesn't guarantee the price of the next one that comes up.

The demand is great nowadays and supply is very limited, its no use giving examples of years ago copies of records cost 50p etc and there were hundreds of them cause them days are done .

I mentioned on a different thread about my 50p purchase of The Fabulous Peps last weekend so it does happen. 

I found a Fabulous Peps for £40 18 months ago so got a bargain then

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Well they are stupid then if the prices are cheaper (not always I appreciate) and there are those buyers with deep pockets that can't be bothered as well

With the unpredictable postal services, the high price of postage from the states, import tax etc, the £89 for the last copy soon goes into three figures. I must be stupid too as I rarely use ebay now and cannot remember my last purchase from abroad on there. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Monny1916 said:

Has Tony Middleton / Bobby Matos ever been reissued, booted , cheers Stephen 

Yes ,last year April 2021 , Hipshakin 7" , Rhythm "n" soul a couple on eBay , not sure if Legit but did buy one when issued and sounds and looks ok , to be honest a few good releases on the label but I have no idea on legality hope they are good looking with matching sleeves etc 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Davey S said:

Think we've all been collecting long enough to know a record is worth precisely what someone is prepared to pay and even then it doesn't guarantee the price of the next one that comes up.

The demand is great nowadays and supply is very limited, its no use giving examples of years ago copies of records cost 50p etc and there were hundreds of them cause them days are done .

Agree, some buyer(s) including me have for financial reasons had to sell their precious 45s in the past and it is not laziness as quoted multiple times in this and previous posts but opportunity, condition, timing, rarity & desire that keeps the 50p gems😊 prices rising. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Chalky said:

Ah, but a barometer stretching back 20 years. Love it or hate it, eBay is a reference point that guides savvy collectors. Trouble is, it’s not a totally comprehensive listing of all auctions on the planet. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Whiskyagogo said:

I am on about buying, & buying back. How can that be greed?

You mentioned prices rising and added a smiley. That's not a good thing when you're a buyer, so your comment (with the added smiley) comes over as reflecting a seller's perspective.

Anyway, greed - or more specifically, avarice - has taken a grip of sellers and buyers. If buyers weren't paying silly prices, sellers wouldn't get the silly prices. But they do, and that just increases prices further. It's a continuous cycle fed by both those who buy and those who sell. It is greed (avarice) on the part of both parties.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Ah, but a barometer stretching back 20 years. Love it or hate it, eBay is a reference point that guides savvy collectors. Trouble is, it’s not a totally comprehensive listing of all auctions on the planet. 

It is far from credible  though to use as a guide, the prices are all over the place.  Just look at the record in question that sparked this and as I said far too many have deserted ebay because of all the costs, postal issues and rising issues around fraud/theft. 

Social source share

Having only joined Soul Source during the Pandemic as a means of keeping in touch and listening to the excellent BVAN , apart from JM's and Tim Browns auction site , as there ever been a soul only sales auction, or buy now etc , website , I'm only asking because there as to be a solution to evilbay , it never gets a good revue , personally I've bought a lot and in most cases have been very happy with the results , but it sounds like the sellers suffer .

I know there are lots of individual websites that cater for the soul followers , but a site that runs like evilbay is surely only interested in the amount of percentage they can make on each sale Inc extras , so why is it still so popular as an outlet and yet hated so much , apart from discogs , what else is there ?

Social source share

7 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

You mentioned prices rising and added a smiley. That's not a good thing when you're a buyer, so your comment (with the added smiley) comes over as reflecting a seller's perspective.

Anyway, greed - or more specifically, avarice - has taken a grip of sellers and buyers. If buyers weren't paying silly prices, sellers wouldn't get the silly prices. But they do, and that just increases prices further. It's a continuous cycle fed by both those who buy and those who sell. It is greed (avarice) on the part of both parties.

Had to google "avarice" (english is not my native language) but I fully agree with you. Greedy sellers want as much money for their records. Were as (as it seems) there are many buyers out there who are so greedy to get certain records they are willing to pay way over the actual price.

And it seems, those greedy buyers are all on JMs mailing list 😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Get a grip sunshine 😥

My smiley 😊 was a bit of fun really. I havent bought many 50p records lately and not many even early 1970s, when first started collecting.

If I want a record that bad, I will pay up, otherwise I'll go without & leave it to others to complain about the cost of living 😀

Edited by Whiskyagogo
Wrong spelling
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Whiskyagogo said:

Get a grip sunshine 😥

My smiley 😊 was a bit of fun really. I havent bought many 50p records lately and not many even early 1970s, when first started collecting.

Ah, he called me sunshine. How charmingly 1970s of you. :D Yes, your smiley was just a bit of fun, but it added a an upbeat cheeriness to your statement about rising prices. Possibly that's not what you meant to convey.

No worries, though, and my comment about avarice - affecting sellers and buyers - still stands. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Having only joined Soul Source during the Pandemic as a means of keeping in touch and listening to the excellent BVAN , apart from JM's and Tim Browns auction site , as there ever been a soul only sales auction, or buy now etc , website , I'm only asking because there as to be a solution to evilbay , it never gets a good revue , personally I've bought a lot and in most cases have been very happy with the results , but it sounds like the sellers suffer .

I know there are lots of individual websites that cater for the soul followers , but a site that runs like evilbay is surely only interested in the amount of percentage they can make on each sale Inc extras , so why is it still so popular as an outlet and yet hated so much , apart from discogs , what else is there ?

There was a site called soulbid in the past but I never used it. Not sure if it is still going

Social source share

Buying and selling vinyl has become just like stocks and shares buy low sell high , but it has never been any different , buying a record for 50c and selling it one for £100 quid it's not blatant greed it's suppling a demand we are all responsible for high prices .

Dav.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ive been trying to find what Craig Douglas went for an here it is.

In past years Ive accused sellers of blatantly telling fairy stories to up a price and when I saw JM had listed this I was bemused with the description that was written! He said it was "UK only"! So what was this description trying to do?increase price or is JM that lazy these days he really doesnt give phook about being reasonably accurate!

Just for JMs information it was released also in India on Stateside . South Africa & portugal on Pye and also in Brazil on Musidisc. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!