Midnight Express (Rod Dearlove)

Chalky

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

We have digitised magazines in the past, Shades of Soul, Backbeat etc so I thought I'd do Rod Dearloves magazine from the early 80s, Midnight Express.

Here is issue 1, I'll do the others, well up to issue 7, as time allows.  Not sure if there were other issues after 7?

Midnight Express Issue 1.PDF 39.38 MB · 78 downloads

Brilliant magazine Chalky,very upfront

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I 'm unaware whether Rod is still active , but what a very knowledgeable as well as a genuinely nice guy.....  I subscribed to Midnight Express (I believe I wrote  an article on the South Wales Soul scene in one issue? If my memory seves me right).......He later went on to do the superb "Voices from the shadows" magazine! Indeed more  Great reading material......Thanks for the downloads of Midnight Express Karl !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Wilxy said:

I 'm unaware whether Rod is still active , but what a very knowledgeable as well as a genuinely nice guy.....  I subscribed to Midnight Express (I believe I wrote  an article on the South Wales Soul scene in one issue? If my memory seves me right).......He later went on to do the superb "Voices from the shadows" magazine! Indeed more  Great reading material......Thanks for the downloads of Midnight Express Karl !

He has retired although he did recently buy a collection that he has been selling. 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Wilxy said:

I think Steve Davis helped finance Voices from the shadows if my memory is correct.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Rick Scott said:

Voices From The Shadows (What A Brilliant Name For A Mag) was a Great Magazine which i subscribed to from Rod, Yea Very Nice Guy As Was His Wife Loraine,

I missed out on the Midnight Express Mag so Thanks Chalky for making those available to us, nice one.

Spent many a great Nite Behind the Decks at Rods Modern / Crossover Soul Nites at the Canal Tavern (Thorne)

Seeing Sam Dees Live There and even Steve Davis Doing a wonderful Set there Too, so many great Memouries

To Cherish And read about them of course 🙂 

I remember those days well Rick,i used go there with two other guys and frome there we would go over to the Queens Hall nighter in bradford.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

21 hours ago, Chalky said:

Brilliant thanks Chalky. I never got the magazine had one cassette tape with a tremendous selection of records from the mag. I always assumed a tape was issued with each one as by then I was also getting Love Music Review.

Was that correct? I don't even know where I got the cassette from!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Chalky said:

Absolute star Chalky. Amazing to have this set to read through.

I knew virtually nothing at the time of Rod Dearlove and so many other diehard pioneers of the documentation of the scene. Friends like @Eddie Hubbard put me onto some that I treasure, but I do think it's fair to say that without the dedication of both the DJs and those documenting the paper trail this music would have slipped into a quaint history.

What we have instead is an evolving and varied scene that both feeds and learns from the music around us.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 3 months later...
On 17/11/2023 at 07:45, Chalky said:

We have digitised magazines in the past, Shades of Soul, Backbeat etc so I thought I'd do Rod Dearloves magazine from the early 80s, Midnight Express.

Here is issue 1, I'll do the others, well up to issue 7, as time allows.  Not sure if there were other issues after 7?

Midnight Express Issue 1.PDF 39.38 MB · 633 downloads

Cracking work Chalky - you're the man. 🙂

There's Arin Demain on one of the sales list - wow. Great read and just on issue 1.

Thanks for doing this mate, a labour of love, you're one of the members on here that helps keep the site rolling. 

A big round of applause everyone for Mr Chalkmeister.

Peter

🙂

• Up vote 3
Social source share

And thanks to all the people who actually bought every issue of "Midnight Express" and "Voices From The Shadows" as they came out. They made both the magazine's a viable concern🤔 I used to look forward very keenly to every issue. 

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!