Rarest/valuable/Sought "modern" soul records out there?

Happy New Year to All!

Just out of interest, most of those NS/classic records that we now know to be "exceptionally" from the 60s to early 70s. I'm really talking about those late 70s-mid 80s modern/x-overs.

Which ones are now proven to be ridiculously rare as in a handful of known copies, really talking about the top ten. Any ideas?

My personal feelings are that the UK is a bit behind collecting these types of records (maybe 'I'm wrong?) but seems the US and Europe/Japanese jumped on this way before we did here in the UK.

Thanks

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I have no idea of which is the rarest or the value of any sought after soul 45's; be they NS, MS, deep soul, sweet soul or whatever.

But for me personally, I'd put the likes of ZZ & Co, Tony Fox (Love, Let Love And Be Loved), Bill (Space Lady), Bill Brandon (The Streets Got My Lady) + a few more as my fave MS sounds.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

21 hours ago, Roburt said:

I have no idea of which is the rarest or the value of any sought after soul 45's; be they NS, MS, deep soul, sweet soul or whatever.

But for me personally, I'd put the likes of ZZ & Co, Tony Fox (Love, Let Love And Be Loved), Bill (Space Lady), Bill Brandon (The Streets Got My Lady) + a few more as my fave MS sounds.

Hi Roburt

ZZ and Co and Tony Fox are two of my favourites. I used to play Getting Ready for the Get Down every time I was getting ready to go to an all nighter, much to the annoyance of my mum, "Haven't you got anything else to play". It still does if for me. 

I think Tony Fox was thought to be an LP only track - then someone found the 45. I think that's a tough one. 

Daybreak, Pages, the Flight ........................

Peter

22 hours ago, Soul Salad said:

Happy New Year to All!

Just out of interest, most of those NS/classic records that we now know to be "exceptionally" from the 60s to early 70s. I'm really talking about those late 70s-mid 80s modern/x-overs.

Which ones are now proven to be ridiculously rare as in a handful of known copies, really talking about the top ten. Any ideas?

My personal feelings are that the UK is a bit behind collecting these types of records (maybe 'I'm wrong?) but seems the US and Europe/Japanese jumped on this way before we did here in the UK.

Thanks

This could be a good thread. 😊

Social source share

1 hour ago, Solidsoul said:

This great piece of modern type Northern Soul is quite hard to get on original.

Probably the best record ever.

I actually don't think it's that rare, but nobody sells it, which says it all for me 👌

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Salad Man

Can we just post up our favourites - if we think they're worth an airing. I'll remove this post if not mate. 

Another "desert island disc" for me! 👌

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Mark

Did you sell one of these a few years back - well, could be ten years now? 

Cheers,

Peter

I did mate, from at one time as a young man thinking I would never own one, to finding myself with two!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

This is a good one, Curtis Anderson on Brown Bag, which turns up very infrequently, that said its (one copy) is on Discogs on silly money just now. Another I was told was limited copies was 'George Soule - Cross My Heart' that said I know where I could find two copies of this brilliant record this arvo...

The Side Effect LP on Gas from 73, is another, features of course 'Spend it on Our Love'.   That Mind & Matter 45, I can’t sand it, puffed up disco record... I get the groove, but not for me.

Cornel Gunter's 'Love In My Heart' has proved to be one that turns up very infrequently, that said there was a chap on here a few years who could not shift his copy, think he had it at about £350... personally I love it… that could have been Benji? one of the German guys...

I'll think up some more....

Malc

R-1824617-1517085227-7853.jpg

Muscle Shaols Sound Pub.Co.jpg

G.A.S. Records.jpg

Modern Soul, Vol. 4.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I don't think many people have one of these - absolute stonker of a dance record. I think a Martin B play, but what do I know. Shabang!

Perpetual Motion cover-up for Sam, played it on my vinyl special on Starpoint Radio on New Years Eve (see my Music Box" link in Soul Media section if interested!).

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

But that (Daybreak) does turn up doesnt it quite allot,  I had the boot which I could never play cause I knew it wasnt real!!  just didnt feel good, sad init, but great track...

There are literally loads of 1980/81/82 releases that fit the bill, think its a very good time period to collect...  Free Spirit & Cal Brandon - No Finance No Romance, is very nice on 'Greeens' label, Pure Essence - Wake Up on 'Mantra' is a great mid tempo item from late 7ts.   Liquid Blue - Ain't That What You Want on HDM is very nice, from 77, and it's hard to get!

SOUL MIND & BODY - I Took Your Love, on Rocktown gets em going, from 1983... Sherry Richard - Don't Get Caught on 'Sherry Richard' arranged by Willie Tee no less, slightly thin vocals, but a great groove...

Tim & Dave - Girl, You're Just Too Good For Me on JACAS is a blinder of a crossover record, only ever seen the one for sale, Tim Brown sold that some years back, and he also sold Sammy Lee  - What Goes Around on PROMCO, right in the same ball park as Tim & Dave..

I have mentioned Solar Plex - Why Did You Walk Away a few times on here, nobody seemed interested, my ears tell me YES!

If you love this stuff, Yann V is all over it isnt he, with his Epsilon label, loads of goodness coming out of E17...

PROMCO.jpg

ROCKTOWN RECORDS.jpg

JACAS Records.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Me too, it's a killer track 🙂 we should, well I should, throw in a absolute cheapie, that is musically as good, if not above any in this thread... gotta be the best fiver you could ever spend... love the sax / guitar break..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Me too, it's a killer track 🙂 we should, well I should, throw in a absolute cheapie, that is musically as good, if not above any in this thread... gotta be the best fiver you could ever spend... love the sax / guitar break..

It's a nice record but if we start listing low price records this topic is going to lose it's way. There was a thread not so long ago about cheaper modern records.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I take your point about the 'what's Modern' Derek, if it's new, it's not likely to have a massive, as allot above have, price tag... which is refreshing....

Willie Feaster, very good call!  same guy as Willie & The Mighty Magnificents, kinda reminds me of Soul Chargers 'Every Beat of my Heart' in allot of ways.....

Richard Lackey - The Greatest Gift, on Solid Foundation, Seville - Show Me the Way think came out twice, KAYO and a weird Coke promo thing?  something like that....

The brilliant 'Benita - Time for A Change' originally on Fine-Tuned Records, a very big Ashford & Simpson production style track that only made it on Promo... and later via the 'Good Fryer' in Edinburgh of course..

Fine Tuned Records.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Djack said:

Lots of really good records being posted but many of them have been consistently played out for over 30 years. Hardly modern is it?

Derek

Just now, Peter99 said:

Hi Derek

Some of the "modern" tracks have been played for nearly 50 years! 🙂 We have had many debates about the term "modern" on Soul Source - we all have different views, and I think it's fair to say that we're all correct. 👊

I think it's about our own time, experience and context. Some great records on this thread anyway, lots of new things for me, and I suspect many others, to enjoy.

Best wishes.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

This is doing the rounds has we speak 2 funky numbers from 75  the flip "Fire" came out on another label & a different mix

Fire is also a vocal release on the Affie

293346018_2043876275797239_5098828968813597885_n.jpg

293029544_2043876929130507_3406315608308222959_n.jpg

Edited by Kev John
spelling mistake
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Djack said:

Lots of really good records being posted but many of them have been consistently played out for over 30 years. Hardly modern is it?

Derek

Hi Derek,

Some great stuff being posted - thought I'd heard it all, Fantastic!!

I think "Modern" means something different to everybody. "My" interpretation of "modern" is the type of sound I'm listening to as opposed to that raw Motown esq sound that was originally played in the early/mid 70s 

For me, The Carstairs is "Modern" but it is still a classic Northern spin.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

This one is way up there 😃 Wonderful

He's covered a few good tracks Hugh Boyton,  he also did a pretty good version of 'If Loving you is Wrong I Don't Want to be Right' unfortunatly for him, Millie Jackson simply can't be BEAT!!  which leaves Luther Ingram second in my book, even if he had the hit...!!

sticking with the title, different track, I can see this has been done by loads of Arrtists via my I-Tunes, must be different songs but, Ron Patterson, Oscar Perry, Roger Hatcher, Irene Reid, Don Gardner, Sandra Wright... clever title...

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Soul Salad said:

Lucky enough to find a copy of this cracker in.......................................Sicily! - Agreed Daybreak is Fantastic, not easy though

Had a few of these over the years, but alot of the copies have reversed labels

Dave

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Given up hoping to acquire this gem🥴

Wow! I'm Gob smacked, Just seen a copy up on Discogs seller in Spain Asking £3.907.47 for a copy,(fabulous play mates) didn't know it was selling for that price, knew it was rare but....... The Bog Mindles

Edited by Rick Scott
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Fluorescent Smogg is one that's near impossible to find out in the wild. 

But I've had it and sold it twice. 

I don't lose sleep over it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I hope this doesn't turn into another tired thread of just "biging up" the plays for the major DJ's of the 70s/80s.  There can also be a big divergence between rarest, most valuable or sought after.  Garry Cape had stock of Earl White Jr, and I had multiple friends phoning up over the next week asking and getting copies.  There are also quite a few records posted that are owned by quite a lot of DJ's and collectors, with Melvin Moore being one of them, but i agree, that getting an original has always been tough.

The evolution of the internet has brought to light that many records were not as rare as they were once thought to be.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steviehay said:

big one again for Sam does'nt come up for sale that often only goes up in price lucky to get one for 200 .........

I already put that Fantasy record up yesterday! Shows we both have good taste🙂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

few more that are worthy...The Rainy Tucker, I think a copy sold not all that long ago, might have been Tim Brown, again!  Detroit Leanin is a good one, 'World' - you go the power, from 83 I think,  I should also mention that Reggie 'S'  LP, on Shasa Records, killer Lp, loads of tracks on there... but 'Baby I Love You' is the play track...

anybody know Vann & Reggie - I'm Falling In Love?

ASTRAL Music from the Stars.jpg

Social source share

21 hours ago, Mal C said:

But that (Daybreak) does turn up doesnt it quite allot,  I had the boot which I could never play cause I knew it wasnt real!!  just didnt feel good, sad init, but great track...

There are literally loads of 1980/81/82 releases that fit the bill, think its a very good time period to collect...  Free Spirit & Cal Brandon - No Finance No Romance, is very nice on 'Greeens' label, Pure Essence - Wake Up on 'Mantra' is a great mid tempo item from late 7ts.   Liquid Blue - Ain't That What You Want on HDM is very nice, from 77, and it's hard to get!

SOUL MIND & BODY - I Took Your Love, on Rocktown gets em going, from 1983... Sherry Richard - Don't Get Caught on 'Sherry Richard' arranged by Willie Tee no less, slightly thin vocals, but a great groove...

Tim & Dave - Girl, You're Just Too Good For Me on JACAS is a blinder of a crossover record, only ever seen the one for sale, Tim Brown sold that some years back, and he also sold Sammy Lee  - What Goes Around on PROMCO, right in the same ball park as Tim & Dave..

I have mentioned Solar Plex - Why Did You Walk Away a few times on here, nobody seemed interested, my ears tell me YES!

If you love this stuff, Yann V is all over it isnt he, with his Epsilon label, loads of goodness coming out of E17...

PROMCO.jpg

ROCKTOWN RECORDS.jpg

JACAS Records.jpg

Sammy Lee was actually played by Russ at Wigan in the early years especially 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Sammy Lee was actually played by Russ at Wigan in the early years especially 

Wow, really... it doent strike me as a Wigan spin, but then I was told Russ was also responsible for The Blues Busters - Love is the Answer, amongst others of course, which gets big thumbs up from me... 🙂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!