UK ONLY 45s

I’m gonna be quite detailed here,im interested in seeing a list of northern soul uk only 45s? Predominantly 60’s and some 70’s.

a list of 45s that are uk only,no foreign release or USA,no album tracks,and an original song for that particular artist! I imagine it will be a short list and of blued eyed soul origin!

RAY MERRELL TEARS OF JOY JAYBOY

MICKEY MOONSHINE NAME IT YOU GOT IT DECCA …these two are perfect examples of what I mean.

timi yuro never be over (this isn’t)

chapter 5 (this isn’t) these two have album an foreign releases!

lee

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Woodbutcher said:

Thanks mate,however that thread seems to include permutations of 45s like lp tracks etc…..this thread is looking a bit deeper and detailed👍

Social source share

Posted (edited)

I'm no UK label or foreign release expert so some of these may not fit your category. 

I Wanna Know - John E Paul - Decca

When I'm Gonna Find Her - Mark Lloyd Parlophone.

The Beautiful Night - Jimmy Thomas - Parlophone.

Don't Pity Me - Sue Lynn - RCA

Lost Summer Love - Lorraine Silver - Pye.

Love is Wonderful -Paula Parfit - Beacon.

One Minute Every Hour - John Miles - Orange.

I Feel So Bad - Jackie Edwards - Island.

Bok To Back - Fathers Angels - MGM

Just some of the top of my head, hope some are some use to you. Some probably did come out somewhere other than UK!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

I'm no UK label or foreign release expert so some of these may not fit your category. 

Just some of the top of my head, hope some are some use to you. Some probably did come out somewhere other than UK!

I think all of them fit my mate,apart from Lorraine silver which is a cover version of a USA release by some other woman!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Solidsoul said:

Feel So Bad Jackie Edwards came out on a French EP on Vogue even though it's an alternate take with extra female choruses. So after consideration on such critical matter the UK Island is indeed a sole UK release. And this French EP a contender for a future thread on here for such sole French Northern Soul 45 listing...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Buccaneer1 said:

Invitations Jay Boy 24 – How’d We Ever Get This Way 1970 - UK only

Yes that lead...

Ernie & Ed. 'indication' on Jay Boy

Ray Merrell 'tears of joy' on Jay Boy

The Bob and Earl band 'dance little girl' on Jay Boy

Tom Greene 'endless confusion' on Action

Social source share

Excellent thread to start, however it may have been best to limit the suggestions to American based artists, as I can see this decending into numerous biddu type productions based on carribean and islands acts that lived over here, of which there are several hundred some mentioned already, not saying their all crap but it could go on forever. Car;l Douglas mentioned above also had a different flip in the Uk with his Buddah release, in the States it was 'Marble and iron' in the uk it was 'Do you need my love to get better', off to play the flip 'Lean on me' a soulfull piece if ever there was one. Thanks for the nudge on Carl.

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

Excellent thread to start, however it may have been best to limit the suggestions to American based artists, as I can see this decending into numerous biddu type productions based on carribean and islands acts that lived over here, of which there are several hundred some mentioned already, not saying their all crap but it could go on forever. Car;l Douglas mentioned above also had a different flip in the Uk with his Buddah release, in the States it was 'Marble and iron' in the uk it was 'Do you need my love to get better', off to play the flip 'Lean on me' a soulfull piece if ever there was one. Thanks for the nudge on Carl.

And this is exactly what Northern Soul is also made off ; from the best to the worst... 😉

Social source share

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

And this is exactly what Northern Soul is also made off ; from the best to the worst... 😉

The topic is not about what Northern Soul is!!  The post topic is this!!

"I'm gonna be quite detailed here, I'm interested in seeing a list of northern soul uk only 45s? Predominantly 60’s and some 70’s.

a list of 45s that are uk only, no foreign release or USA,no album tracks,and an original song for that particular artist!"

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Levi Jackson/ Solomon King – This Beautiful Day

Did not get out in US

Levi.jpeg

As Levi Jackson only on UK. But it got a French, Australian and Jamaican release credited as Solomon King.

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

The topic is not about what Northern Soul is!!  The post topic is this!!

"I'm gonna be quite detailed here, I'm interested in seeing a list of northern soul uk only 45s? Predominantly 60’s and some 70’s.

a list of 45s that are uk only, no foreign release or USA,no album tracks,and an original song for that particular artist!"

Was only replying to 'Still Diggin' wanting the thread not to go all over the place implying that with only American artists or recordings (although not specified) getting only a UK release this would help to concentrate on such collection of UK 7" items staying focus on Northern Soul and not going into Carribean (UK) acts or whatever...

But then not being able to mention Jackie Edwards 'I feel so bad' for example then. Although I am sure that many would disagree to revoke the record from this tread. And although no matter how this soul less record IMO is from a Jamaican singer recorded in the UK I can't deny it is a high prized UK Northern Soul classic record none the less.

So if Northern Soul was Black American Soul music based or proclaiming to be it was also about made with a lot of other things. Still is. Leaving many outside records dealers in a daze as to what Northern Soul was / is as those UK wants lists sent everywhere are clearly not black soul music only orientated. There I was only teasing 'Still Diggin'.

Anyway the OP didn't mention the origin of the artists or of the recording sessions even. Focusing only on "Northern Soul" (that could include a lot of things, right ?) UK 7" records without no other form of original physical existence. With that in mind I believe it leaves enough room to gather enough valid entries while remaining strict on the criteria.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)

More Northern, rather than Northern Soul . . .

Jon Ford - You Got Me Where You Want Me - Philips
Dennis D'ell - Better Use Your Head - CBS

Some Motown UK only things.

Martha Reeves - No One There
Gladys Knight - No One Could Love You More

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Is Dennis dell the original? Or is it little Anthony?

Social source share

both motown tracks lp too

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Actually is Jon ford a cover too? Or is it the original version?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Is this before or after the 45 do you know?

The UK single is 1966. 

The USA L.P. is 1967. 

Looks like the UK single was the first issue of this great record!  It's a pity there is no original USA 45 single.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Dobber said:

I’m gonna be quite detailed here,im interested in seeing a list of northern soul uk only 45s? Predominantly 60’s and some 70’s.

a list of 45s that are uk only,no foreign release or USA,no album tracks,and an original song for that particular artist! I imagine it will be a short list and of blued eyed soul origin!

RAY MERRELL TEARS OF JOY JAYBOY

MICKEY MOONSHINE NAME IT YOU GOT IT DECCA …these two are perfect examples of what I mean.

timi yuro never be over (this isn’t)

chapter 5 (this isn’t) these two have album an foreign releases!

lee

What about FEARNS BRASS FOUNDRY  -  Don't change it  (UK DECCA only)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Jason knight-our love is getting stronger on uk pye,is this a true uk release,no other permutations?

Only had an Australian Astor label and a Caribbean Pye permutation.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

18 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Feel So Bad Jackie Edwards came out on a French EP on Vogue even though it's an alternate take with extra female choruses. So after consideration on such critical matter the UK Island is indeed a sole UK release. And this French EP a contender for a future thread on here for such sole French Northern Soul 45 listing...

It also came out on uk island lp

same version as uk single

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.5405946573478ef70c6df3513bd2d715.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)

Rainbow people - Living in a dream world  UK PYE '69

Rainbow people - The Walk Will Do You Good UK PYE '68 (I have this on a UK PYE Acetate That is un documented)

Inner City Express - Spring Rain UK Ebony '78

Annis - Don't Play Your Games - GTO '80

Edited by Rick Scott
more info
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!