Last Threee Before Eight

It´s gotta be George Freemans "Down and out" for me. Castanets!

valiant,

Top sound, agree with that one.

Also-

George Perkins-I'm so glad your mine-?

Bobby Bland - I aint myself anymore-Duke

Ronni Goodson-I wouldn't give a nickel-Uptite

George Jackson-I dont have the time-Mercury

Clyde McPhatter-Lonely people cant afford to cry-Amy

George Smith-I've had it-Turntable

Little Sherman & the Mod Swingers-The price of love

Ernie Washington - Lonesome track

think thats enough for now, would bring a tear to a jap's eye,

Haydn :D

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:

link

Suprised Tony Michaels not mentioned. Ender at Samathas :D

Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Personally,

Strange Neighborhood by the Imaginations (Fraternity)..'I'd better get going'...

and

I Can't Make it Without Him by Brendetta Davies (Liberty) ..'Whats left to say,when lovin' walks away?'...

Bliss

Last record often seems to turn to karaoke at local nights I go to ,get that buzz as everybody in room sings to Timi Yuro or Jimmy Radcliffe..

Social source share

Back in the day every all nighter that I went to no matter where it was always ended with the same three records that we all know and love thumbsup.gif

Would anyone like to see a return to this and if so what are your suggestions for the 3 records to end all soul nights and all nighters, or is that sort of thing considered old hat, now that we have grown up and moved on.

link

At the 100 Club allnighters Ady always does the last spot and his enders will usually be - Dells Make Sure, Harold Melvin - Get out, or Four Tops - Baby I need your loving. All seem to fit well and are suitably poignant.

Social source share

a bit slow picking up this thread but here goes,

J M matthews I have no choice

William Hunt Would you believe

and the very last one would have to be,

Vicky Anderson Wide awake in a dream

all perfect in their own right but played one after the other at the end of a long hard night just AWESOME ( IMO anyway )

Social source share

Some cracking records mentioned already: a very good call on the Bettye Lavette version of "Almost". To me this has all the qualities of something like Pat Lewis "No-one To Love" but at a fraction of the price; it has the magical x-factor that Jimmy Delphs' version lacks. I've got to agree with Chalky on James Lately also. To me this is one of the very best Northern Soul records ever, full stop.

Barbara Lynn's "This Is The Thanks I Get" 45 seems to be reaching standard status these days, and that's no bad thing, as it's a wonderful record. I'm sure Randy Cozens would have approved. He was a master at recognizing records which could evoke the nostalgia and charisma of a genuinely anthemic 'ender'.

Here are a few from me:

Al Johnson "Love Waits For No Man" (South Camp)

George Tindley "So Help Me Woman" (Wand)

Willie Wade "When Push Comes To Shove" (Nite Life)

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

link

Yeah George Freeman would be an ideal choice , Im sure Brett the Landlord would agree with you on this one !!!!!

Social source share

Mamie lee..... One ov my fav tunes of all time!.. Best version too IMHO... just thinkin, flip it over for an apt ender... the excellent "The Show Is Over"  :D

Steve

link

Agreed, two lovely tracks... :D

Social source share

That's Robert Tanner and you're right it's a fabulous choon. £1500 ish I think.

Paul

SITC

link

Sorry Robert Tanner...f*** me £1500...Its a sad day when i hear news like this...I will never be able to spin it...Thats what makes the Greystone what it is, a great underground rare soul venue...If anyone would like to check it out then send a pm/email to Mark B on soul source...Its the 3rd Sat of the Month i think..Soul Sam at the last one....

Social source share

There is another way of getting "Sweet Memories," Steve, so don't despair. It was also recorded by Tanner's group, The New Sound, on their Turbo lp from the early 70s. It's a far better version, with a fuller production and better sound etc. The album also has some other splendid tracks, like the former Darrell Banks cover-up "Don't Take You Love From Me," as spun by Kitch etc. in the early 90s.

Here's the catch: the album is super-rare on original (I have personally seen more copies of the Megatone 45 than originals of this lp in the last five years), but exists on both CD and high quality vinyl re-issue from Japan. The re-issues are sometimes on ebay, but I'm sure if you ask around you'll be able to pick one up for prices ranging from £20 to £50.

Hope this helps, gareth.

Social source share

Given the chance I'd go for

Knickerbockers - Wishful Thinking

George Smith - I've Had It

Mia Lewis - This Is The End

link

Knickerbockers is a nice choice - still to have its day IMHO.

For me...

CHARMEL DECKER - UP JUMP THE DEVIL (CORSICAN)

THE TEARS - GOOD LUCK MY LOVE (SMASH)

and the most soulful of them all IMHO

JAMES LATELY - LOVE, FRIENDS AND MONEY......

Hammy

Social source share

There is another way of getting "Sweet Memories," Steve, so don't despair. It was also recorded by Tanner's group, The New Sound, on their Turbo lp from the early 70s. It's a far better version, with a fuller production and better sound etc. The album also has some other splendid tracks, like the former Darrell Banks cover-up "Don't Take You Love From Me," as spun by Kitch etc. in the early 90s.

Here's the catch: the album is super-rare on original (I have personally seen more copies of the Megatone 45 than originals of this lp in the last five years), but exists on both CD and high quality vinyl re-issue from Japan. The re-issues are sometimes on ebay, but I'm sure if you ask around you'll be able to pick one up for prices ranging from £20 to £50.

Hope this helps, gareth.

link

Cheers Gareth

The search begins for the album....Take care and hope to see you soon...

Social source share

Hope this helps, gareth.

link

Gotta disagree :lol::lol: thinks the 70's LP version poor imitation of the Megatone release :lol:

The last re-issue of the LP on ebay went for over a ton if I remember rightly.

Social source share

Knickerbockers is a nice choice - still to have its day IMHO.

Hammy

link

Indeed it is ( :lol: ) and was one of four ( :lol: ) last tunes along

Four Gents "Tomorrow May Never Come" Oncore

James Bell "The Love Of My Girl" 3 Diamonds

and

Louis Curry "You Are Just Plain Nice" Reel

I played at the last Hip City :lol:

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Gotta say I disagree strongly on this one, Chalky. I knew the lp version for a good few years before I heard the Rober Tanner solo 45 and could not actually believe how poor it was in comparison. The term 'half finished' springs to mind. Sorry!

link

Each to their own Gareth :lol:

Social source share

THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD ENDERS MY THREE WOULD HAVE TO BE

BUDDY SMITH/ WHEN YOU LOOSE THE ONE YOU LOVE/BRUTE

MOST SOULFULL RECORD EVER (IMO)

BARBARA NcNAIR/YOU GONNALOVE MY BABY/MOTOWN

PATTI AUSTIN/LEAVE A LITTLE LOVE/CORAL

HEAVENLY BLOCKED :):lol:

Social source share

link

this is gonna be my big ender....just before they put me in on gas mark 9 for 15 :) hours

Social source share

(Arcticsoulboy @ Jan 15 2005, 11:39 AM)

See this one's already been picked a few times, gets my vote too.

So just add 2 more

Dan Folger - Way of the Crowd and Bunny Sigler- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Gaye

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert