Mr Croasdell Does It Again - New Batch Of Kent 45's Due Out This Month

Ace/Kent and the talents of Mr Ady Croasdell have done it again with a new batch of wonderful 'Town' and 'City' new releases this month following up from the superb batch a few months ago.

The 'Town' sides are all in demand Northern Soul tracks and have never been re-released until now, the higher priced 'City' singles are all tracks only ever available on CD or LP, never having been given a release on original vinyl when originally recorded, the 'City' singles are limited to 500 copies so be quick as you may remember 45's like Tobi Lark - True, True Love from the last batch sold out very quickly indeed making it an almost instant collectable and rightly so. The 'Town' 45's retail at £5.00 with the 'City' ones coming in at £10.00 which is superb value for money

As with all Kent projects Ady is as ever on the money with this little lot, producing first generation sound quality 45's with every attention to detail followed to the letter, these babies look good, sound good and by - golly they will do you good.

Check these out as soon as possible.

The Imaginations - Strange Neighbourhood B/W

The Diplomats - Cards On The Table - Town 127

Two tracks that still cut the mustard on the dance floors, I'm pleased about this release as I sold my Fraternity and Arock stockers of these two some time ago, a stunning double header that will soon sell out so be quick adding this beauty to your collections.

The Primers - How Does It Grab You B/W

Minnie Jones And The Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory - Town 128

These two would cost you a small fortune on the original Hale and Sugar originals, well a large fortune actually (Primers at least two Grand and £400/500.00 for the Minnie Jones)

Both sides of this release are sublime cult records no question and destined to be another top seller, both sides are pure quality.

Sugar And Spices - Have Faith In Me B/W

Brilliant Corners - Three Lonley Guys - Town 129

Again two stunning sides taken from Swan and Modern records also pretty hard to find on the originals, 'Brilliant Corners' is of course Pat Brady magic from the Stafford period which still hits the spot for me at least, 'Sugar' is an oh so sweet magic moment out of Philly and makes for a wonderful double header, now two for the price of one in every sense of the word.

On to the 'City' singles now with three outstanding releases which I feel will sell out even faster than Tobi Lark etc.

All I can say on the following three releases,well words fail me, simply order these now otherwise you will regret it when it's too late.

Charlie Rich - Don't Tear Me Down B/W

Jeanette Jones - Cut Loose - City 004

Danny Cobus - The Two Of Us B/W

Chico And Buddy - You Won't Miss The Water - City 005

The Tandells - Is It Love Baby B/W

The Fashionettes - Losin' Control - City 006

Again instant collectables once word is out, I'm hoping to review/preview this little lot on my final 'Soul Shack' www.solarradio.com on September 2nd, pleased to do so as I'm sure you will agree that again Mr Croasdell has done it agian....Charlie Rich LP only until now is pretty much as good as it gets for me....awesome!

I suggest you message Mr Croasdell ASAP to reserve a full set of these, no hype required from me here, the titles speak for themselves....cheers uncle Ady.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

These all look superb & as you say as Ady's involved you can be sure of the integrity & quality of the product.

Next question is though will these be socially exceptable to play out, if they're not i think it's a bit of a shame especially due to the quality of the sound.

I think if NS records became slightly cheaper & people were encouraged to buy quality products like these you could see an enthused younger element getting into collecting vinyl & djing, waddya think?

Simon

Social source share

These all look superb & as you say as Ady's involved you can be sure of the integrity & quality of the product.

Next question is though will these be socially exceptable to play out, if they're not i think it's a bit of a shame especially due to the quality of the sound.

I think if NS records became slightly cheaper & people were encouraged to buy quality products like these you could see an enthused younger element getting into collecting vinyl & djing, waddya think?

Simon

Good question this Simon, well they are all legit/legal first class re issues or in the case of the 'City' 45's first generation issues of up until now unissued recordings apart from being on CD format, such a shame not to play them out at the venues, however the 'Town' records are straight re issues of some pretty hard to find USA originals so I guess you do what you consider to be the right thing when out DJ'ing i.e. do you play the Kent 45 of 'The Primers' for example when x,y,z DJ could hold the authentic USA 'Hale' original?, perhaps these releases are to be enjoyed away from the venues but again it's up to you, personally I'm made up to have 'The Primers' on vinyl now but I would not play it at a gig but that's my choice, more to do with some DJ/collectors ethics than anything else, this is an old chestnut which has been thrashed out so many times over the years with mixed feelings and opinions, some say play it if it's legit, others would be firmly rooted in the first generation original only camp, again as for the unissued tracks get them played I say.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Perhaps someone could explain to me why they couldn't be played at a do. I was under the impression that it was etiquette / rules of NS DJing that original issues were played, either US or UK, or maybe foreign. Therefore if these are first UK issues of these on vinyl it must be okay to play them.

Or have I got it totally wrong?

On the very rare occasions I have got to DJ at primarily NS do's (open to invitations, lol) I've generally used my original UK issue 45s that I bought back in the 60s, e.g. Stateside Invitations's What's wrong with me baby; Pye Int Hand it over (original b side of Since I don't have you), etc plus some American originals I've recently bought. Surely if there was someone there with American issues does it mean they would have precedence to play them?

And if they did, how would I know, apart from looking through their record box? Bet they'd like that I don't think.

What about the people who go to Vinyl Carvers and get LP tracks put on 45, or dare I say it, get MP3s of rare tracks? We could all do that I imagine.

I am not trying to be contentious, I am asking a genuine question.

Social source share

Good question this Simon, well they are all legit/legal first class re issues or in the case of the 'City' 45's first generation issues of up until now unissued recordings apart from being on CD format, such a shame not to play them out at the venues, however the 'Town' records are straight re issues of some pretty hard to find USA originals so I guess you do what you consider to be the right thing when out DJ'ing i.e. do you play the Kent 45 of 'The Primers' for example when x,y,z DJ could hold the authentic USA 'Hale' original?, perhaps these releases are to be enjoyed away from the venues but again it's up to you, personally I'm made up to have 'The Primers' on vinyl now but I would not play it at a gig but that's my choice, more to do with some DJ/collectors ethics than anything else, this is an old chestnut which has been thrashed out so many times over the years with mixed feelings and opinions, some say play it if it's legit, others would be firmly rooted in the first generation original only camp, again as for the unissued tracks get them played I say.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good stuff Mark, i personally feel it's time for the 'law' to be relaxed & i don't mean in terms of bootlegs & pressings more in terms of proper legitimate re-issues.

My personal view is all these tracks above that have been brought out legitimately should be played & that includes the issued & unissued stuff BUT i think people should bear in mind when playing the issued stuff that there may be dj/s on the same bill who have spent time & money & effort into finding the 1st issue copy & maybe afford them that respect.

Simon

Social source share

Good stuff Mark, i personally feel it's time for the 'law' to be relaxed & i don't mean in terms of bootlegs & pressings more in terms of proper legitimate re-issues.

My personal view is all these tracks above that have been brought out legitimately should be played & that includes the issued & unissued stuff BUT i think people should bear in mind when playing the issued stuff that there may be dj/s on the same bill who have spent time & money & effort into finding the 1st issue copy & maybe afford them that respect.

Simon

I think this pretty much answers Geoff's very valid point and question here.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Simon

In my opinion if it's unissued then fine, play the bugger but if it's had a release and is in the boxes of DJ's then I wouldn't consider playing it out poersonally.

Social source share

In my opinion if it's unissued then fine, play the bugger but if it's had a release and is in the boxes of DJ's then I wouldn't consider playing it out poersonally.

:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got it in one as usual Chalkster. Mind you I'm less and less concerned about what others do now we aint gonna change em so leave em to get on with it I say. I' don't usually even buy releases such as these but must say I'm well tempted by this lot.

Social source share

:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got it in one as usual Chalkster. Mind you I'm less and less concerned about what others do now we aint gonna change em so leave em to get on with it I say. I' don't usually even buy releases such as these but must say I'm well tempted by this lot.

Ged, the 'City' releases are well worth a punt mate, I know I keep mentioning the Tobi Lark 45 from the last batch but within a very short space of time tunes like this become almost instant collectables, you only have to look at some of The 100 Club Anniversary singles which now have that status.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The 'Town' 45's retail at £5.00 with the 'City' ones coming in at £10.00 which is superb value for money

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

About the same price as an original Primers round at the label owners place before anyone else had been round there :rolleyes: Couldn't believe it when I first heard the record. Infact i'll play it Sunday at dkof. The record is a touch different to the version he had on the tape. So are these new 45's the same version as the record?

Social source share

About the same price as an original Primers round at the label owners place before anyone else had been round there :rolleyes: Couldn't believe it when I first heard the record. Infact i'll play it Sunday at dkof. The record is a touch different to the version he had on the tape. So are these new 45's the same version as the record?

It may just be a different EQ, the tape was the master tape for the record. If you send me a recording of the vinyl I'll let you know.

Ady

Social source share

Ion and me played Jeanette Jones originally from made up acetates.

Charlie Rich gets played at 6TS dos by me over the past three years, though it was on a vinyl LP it was an 80s one of a 60s cut so I thought it could go into the CITY bracket.

Thanks for the positive response geezers hopefully these will sell out as quickly as the first batch (CITYs, TOWNs are still available) later in the year. Check out the Danny Cobus, it's a real sleeper that grows on you.

Social source share

Ion and me played Jeanette Jones originally from made up acetates.

Charlie Rich gets played at 6TS dos by me over the past three years, though it was on a vinyl LP it was an 80s one of a 60s cut so I thought it could go into the CITY bracket.

Thanks for the positive response geezers hopefully these will sell out as quickly as the first batch (CITYs, TOWNs are still available) later in the year. Check out the Danny Cobus, it's a real sleeper that grows on you.

Ady, well if everyone who's hit this thread today buy's a set then they will be sold out pretty quickly....lol, someone has asked where they can purchase these? I suggested JM who had the last batch but perhaps you can point them in the right direction.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Ady, well if everyone who's hit this thread today buy's a set then they will be sold out pretty quickly....lol, someone has asked where they can purchase these? I suggested JM who had the last batch but perhaps you can point them in the right direction.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ace has a mail order dept called Bus Stop just ask for that on 020 8453 1311 and they'll sort you out. It's probably credit card payments.

Any other dealers stocking them, get your details up here as a service to the soul community.

Social source share

Ace has a mail order dept called Bus Stop just ask for that on 020 8453 1311 and they'll sort you out. It's probably credit card payments.

Any other dealers stocking them, get your details up here as a service to the soul community.

Ady. I'm gonna need another copy of Danny Cobus mate....sleeper! very much woken up in 'The Bicknell' household...can't stop playing the bugger so mines worn out...lol I guess I'm one of the first to have a set of these and wow what can I say? wonderful simply wonderful, the sound reproduction, the look, the artwork, the sleeves just the dogs 'do dars' oh and the tuneage is without question so typical of The House Of Kent....simply Ace!!! get it?........I'll get me coat.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert