Addresses For Record Shops In Florida

Hi there,

i know florida isn't really a hotspot for 45's but seen as i'm there on a family holiday for two weeks i'd like to spend at least a couple of dayts vinyl hunting can anyone send me some addresses for record shops/dealers or maybe a few e-mail addresses of people to contact while i'm there. Any info would be much appriciated

Callum

:wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

i know florida isn't really a hotspot for 45's but seen as i'm there on a family holiday for two weeks i'd like to spend at least a couple of dayts vinyl hunting can anyone send me some addresses for record shops/dealers or maybe a few e-mail addresses of people to contact while i'm there. Any info would be much appriciated

Callum

:wicked:

Hi Callum, I did the very same trip last June been many times before to the States but Florida is a bit lean as you say, just enjoy the holiday pal, Dave Moore who comes on here lives there so he would I'm sure give you some pointers and possible shops to visit...good luck

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Callum,

I was there May last year.Rock n Roll Heaven on Orange street didn't have much in.Went over to St Petersburg to Banana's but only picked few cheap things up.He has all the price guides plus nothing is priced as he checks on his computer when you go to pay.

There used to be a place on West Church street but believe he sold all his vinyl.Was warned that this area was a bit dodgy,but isn't everywhere these days.

There is a place near University as well but don't don't know name or address.Like Mark said try Dave Moore he should know more.

Dave.

Social source share

Hi Callum,

I was there May last year.Rock n Roll Heaven on Orange street didn't have much in.Went over to St Petersburg to Banana's but only picked few cheap things up.He has all the price guides plus nothing is priced as he checks on his computer when you go to pay.

There used to be a place on West Church street but believe he sold all his vinyl.Was warned that this area was a bit dodgy,but isn't everywhere these days.

There is a place near University as well but don't don't know name or address.Like Mark said try Dave Moore he should know more.

Dave.

The way I dealt with Bananas way of pricing when I went in April, was to pull a stack out, write 'em down and then on my laptop in the evening create "phantom" GEMM listing for the titles I wanted, go back the next day and buy 'em all for a few bucks each -job done! That said he doesn't have a whole lot of stuff. But these days I only buy stuff that I don't already have mostly, cos I can't be bothered putting stuff up for sale.

Phil

PS - If you find a Don Gardner - Cheatin' Kind it's mine, I dropped it honest smile.gif

Social source share

The way I dealt with Bananas way of pricing when I went in April, was to pull a stack out, write 'em down and then on my laptop in the evening create "phantom" GEMM listing for the titles I wanted, go back the next day and buy 'em all for a few bucks each -job done! for sale.

Phil

How very UnChristian of you.....

post-1281-1189554893_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I can concur with the guy who said West Church Street is a bit dodgy. I didnt even stop the car when I went to find this place.

Just got back from Hitsville and all the record shop pages were ripped out of the Yellow Pages in my room!! and it was the same last year in a different room!

I stopped at a Dance shop in Cocoa Beach on Monday and the guy said he coulndt think of anywhere in the area that had 45's and could only suggest the weekend Flea's.

Went to Rock and Roll Heaven years ago and managed to get a couple of the Motown Juke Box EP's but seem to remember a lot of Goldmine CD's in there as well.

Social source share

How is creating false listings rederessing the balance? surely that is just 'lying, cheating and swindling'?

Surely not buying them and making him aware that the reason you aren't is the right way to go?

Typical of almost all the 'born agains' I've come across - preach about their faith but are really dishonest to the core.

Social source share

How is creating false listings rederessing the balance? surely that is just 'lying, cheating and swindling'?

Surely not buying them and making him aware that the reason you aren't is the right way to go?

Typical of almost all the 'born agains' I've come across - preach about their faith but are really dishonest to the core.

I am not dishonest to the core at all. Sinful to the core absolutely, can't deny that. I've never preached to you or anyone on here, but if you'd like me to? I would love to. i cdrtainly wouldn't preach about how I'm perfect or better than anyone else, I'm not. I'm as bad as anyone else and probably worse than most.

I did mention that to him, but he said that's the going rate - look. When I impressed upon him the fact that some of these listings had been on for years and the reason was that they were overpriced his response is that they'll be cheap some day. But the Poets she blew a good thing at $60 is a tad overpriced wouldn't you agree?

Social source share

I can concur with the guy who said West Church Street is a bit dodgy. I didnt even stop the car when I went to find this place.

Just got back from Hitsville and all the record shop pages were ripped out of the Yellow Pages in my room!! and it was the same last year in a different room!

I stopped at a Dance shop in Cocoa Beach on Monday and the guy said he coulndt think of anywhere in the area that had 45's and could only suggest the weekend Flea's.

Went to Rock and Roll Heaven years ago and managed to get a couple of the Motown Juke Box EP's but seem to remember a lot of Goldmine CD's in there as well.

Rhythm Nation is the place your refering to I think. It's on Colonial Ave (Hwy 50) accross from Church Street. Been a while since I was there but I remember it as a waste of time. In fact the whole State is a soulvinyl desert as far as shops are concerned. Flea Markets are almost as bad. There are one or two 'outlets' still like Bananas (Tampa), Sunshine (Daytona), maybe one or two more on the East Coast but it's really not worth the effort most of the time. It's people who have records now not shops, and the internet has almost detroyed that avenue now also.

As a dealer of some repute once commented "More chance of finding soul records in India than in Florida!"

If you're in the Ft Lauderdale area you might wanna give Jason a call. He's got lots of stuff. Don't expect to find a "dumb Yank" though Mate. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Can't see owt wrong with that.

Bunch of bloody Philistines anyway American dealers. No attachment to the music other than dollar signs and now they're all long-time fans and experts.

Pity there wasn't a jawbone of an ass lying around,Phil.

ROD

Too right :D

Anyway records aside I am looking forward to spending my Christmas day at Cocoa Beach in the Sunshine Stae this year :)

Can't wait.

Phil

Social source share

The way I dealt with Bananas way of pricing when I went in April, was to pull a stack out, write 'em down and then on my laptop in the evening create "phantom" GEMM listing for the titles I wanted, go back the next day and buy 'em all for a few bucks each -job done! That said he doesn't have a whole lot of stuff. But these days I only buy stuff that I don't already have mostly, cos I can't be bothered putting stuff up for sale.

Phil

PS - If you find a Don Gardner - Cheatin' Kind it's mine, I dropped it honest :D

GENIUS! I know a few places I need to try this at (I first need to set up a gemm account).

Record stores that won't price stuff upfront are the WORST, they're the total museum stores that no one will ever buy from. Pricing off of Gemm.com is ridiculous, prices are MORE than 10x the realistic price on many things.

Social source share

Though Rock'n'Roll Heaven on Orange Street may not have much stock of interest to Soulies it might still be worth a visit for you Callum.

Knowing your taste, you may still be able to pick up a few nice bits of R&B, Mod Jazz, popcorn etc.

It's over 12 years since I went in the place, and was told not to bother prior to my visit, but picked up lots of lesser known Duke and Peacock stuff with loads of original 'Unicorn' duke sleeves etc.

Not sure how shop is laid out now, but the boxes on display were pretty much full of crap...delve underneath and there were loads of storage boxes full of more oddball stuff.

Then get yerself down to Wet'n'Wild and have a go on that vertical drop slide where you stand in a rocket(?) or summit with your arms crossed and the floor drops away to send you plummeting....yer trunks will be 99% up yer arse by the time you come to a stop! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert