Gwen Owens - Just Say You're Wanted And Needed - Velgo

Pete S

GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOU'RE WANTED (AND NEEDED) - VELGO ISSUE

One of the few copies that doesn't jump and it came from Gwen herself - she 5 copies, two mint minus ones, one hers, one her Mothers, this was hers. From the person I'm selling it for "john manship got 4k for a copy early this year from my mate on auction and his copy was described as ex++.but compared to mine it looked well used".

THIS IS PROBABLY THE CLEANEST COPY THAT EXISTS.

No trades / no offers, it's a set sale price and it's £4500.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOU'RE WANTED (AND NEEDED) - VELGO ISSUE

One of the few copies that doesn't jump and it came from Gwen herself - she 5 copies, two mint minus ones, one hers, one her Mothers, this was hers. From the person I'm selling it for "john manship got 4k for a copy early this year from my mate on auction and his copy was described as ex++.but compared to mine it looked well used".

THIS IS PROBABLY THE CLEANEST COPY THAT EXISTS.

No trades / no offers, it's a set sale price and it's £4500.

That'll pay the rent Pete for a couple of weeks, classic record.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Pete, Where did you get you're info from?

"john manship got 4k for a copy early this year from my mate on auction and his copy was described as ex++.but compared to mine it looked well used".

We actually achieved £3516 and according to the data on the file it was graded M minus?

PS I've personally never had a copy that jumps.. I think that "They all Jump" rumour, was maybe spread by the guy who's copy skipped at the start..there was one circulating through th 80s, the copy we have in stock now doesn't jump either..

Gwen Owens owners.. Does your copy jump? Be interesting to know..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Pete, Where did you get you're info from?

"john manship got 4k for a copy early this year from my mate on auction and his copy was described as ex++.but compared to mine it looked well used".

We actually achieved £3516 and according to the data on the file it was graded M minus?

PS I've personally never had a copy that jumps.. I think that "They all Jump" rumour, was maybe spread by the guy who's copy skipped at the start..there was one circulating through th 80s, the copy we have in stock now doesn't jump either..

Gwen Owens owners.. Does your copy jump? Be interesting to know..

I can't tell you on here but I'll PM you.

Back in the 'old days', every copy that was played at Wigan jumped. Russ's did, pep's did, I know this cos I've still got tapes of it being played.

But I know what you mean. I see records advertised on here which say things like "doesn't hiss, most copies do" and "slightly off centre like most copies" and most of the time it's a load of rubbish. I remember talking to you about that Detroit Executives, everyone said all copies were off centre, and you rightly said they had a tiny bump on the run on and we agreed that the only off centre copy was owned by the person who started the rumour.

Social source share

I can't tell you on here but I'll PM you.

Back in the 'old days', every copy that was played at Wigan jumped. Russ's did, pep's did, I know this cos I've still got tapes of it being played.

But I know what you mean. I see records advertised on here which say things like "doesn't hiss, most copies do" and "slightly off centre like most copies" and most of the time it's a load of rubbish. I remember talking to you about that Detroit Executives, everyone said all copies were off centre, and you rightly said they had a tiny bump on the run on and we agreed that the only off centre copy was owned by the person who started the rumour.

That's right, they did.

My mint- copy jumps near the end.

There are two presses of the issue ( & i'm not talking about the bootleg), then there's the demo.

When Gwen first came over to the U.K. & Rob Thomas got those copies off her we went back to my chalet with them. It was at that point I realised there were two presses. One (the same as mine in the photo) has a narrower run in & run out dead wax compared to the other. These copies have real tight grooves. It's a much louder recording than the other press. This is the press that is prone to have the jump towards the end. However, in those copies there was one that didn't jump at all, then another one jumped sometimes. I played all the copies.

The other press, with the wider run in/run out, was made from a different vinyl & pressed on a different press. Like I say, lower volume, but these DON'T jump. I seem to remember the green was a touch lighter in colour on these.

When I asked Gwen if she remembers anything about why there were two presses, she didn't.

Hope this helps.

pottsy

ps

There was a photo that I took of Tommy holding all the copies that night in the chalet, it went in Manifesto at the time, perhaps he can remember how many copies there were.

post-2021-1191931473_thumb.jpg

Social source share

That's right, they did.

My mint- copy jumps near the end.

There are two presses of the issue ( & i'm not talking about the bootleg), then there's the demo.

When Gwen first came over to the U.K. & Rob Thomas got those copies off her we went back to my chalet with them. It was at that point I realised there were two presses. One (the same as mine in the photo) has a narrower run in & run out dead wax compared to the other. These copies have real tight grooves. It's a much louder recording than the other press. This is the press that is prone to have the jump towards the end. However, in those copies there was one that didn't jump at all, then another one jumped sometimes. I played all the copies.

The other press, with the wider run in/run out, was made from a different vinyl & pressed on a different press. Like I say, lower volume, but these DON'T jump. I seem to remember the green was a touch lighter in colour on these.

When I asked Gwen if she remembers anything about why there were two presses, she didn't.

Hope this helps.

pottsy

ps

There was a photo that I took of Tommy holding all the copies that night in the chalet, it went in Manifesto at the time, perhaps he can remember how many copies there were.

Think it was 5 copies Ady, I remember the photo :thumbsup:

Hope you're well mate

Social source share

ps

I'm pretty sure there were 6 in total, including your copy Dad.

Social source share

I offered 3300 about 4 years ago and was beaten to it. Only ever seen a couple. Both were scruffy looking but played without the jump.

Cue Pedro?

ok I'll own up, mines white and M- (no jump)

bought 4 days after the 5 copies showed at Prestatyn

bought for a pittance of ebay, I had to ring 4 dealers to authenticate before bidding, two didn't know it existed!

Never seen another or know of another (probably maybe a couple in collections, I guess) but sofar no one has mentioned another.

Cue the feedback :thumbsup:

Social source share

ok I'll own up, mines white and M- (no jump)

bought 4 days after the 5 copies showed at Prestatyn

bought for a pittance of ebay, I had to ring 4 dealers to authenticate before bidding, two didn't know it existed!

Never seen another or know of another (probably maybe a couple in collections, I guess) but sofar no one has mentioned another.

Cue the feedback :thumbsup:

nige johnson has a white demo far as i remember
Social source share

thats two, any more?

My mate, better not say his name, best check first. I was looking at it a few weeks ago, def white demo.

What about that fella on hear that broke his white demo copy a couple of years ago, had it sticking up in his record box tripped over it, or something like that, he posted up a photo of it.

Social source share

My mate, better not say his name, best check first. I was looking at it a few weeks ago, def white demo.

What about that fella on hear that broke his white demo copy a couple of years ago, had it sticking up in his record box tripped over it, or something like that, he posted up a photo of it.

OUCH!! biggrin.gif:D:lol:

Social source share

Mark Whittely, form Yorkshire, I think is his name, Wayne Sherman used to have both Issue and Demo, Greedy b****rd biggrin.gif sold both to Shifty though

Social source share

Yes Pete, John Philips has one I think he got it from Andy Dyson several years ago and he put photocopies of it on flyers for the Earl of Doncaster soul nights.

He sure has, was looking at it last year at his home, had"nt seen him for ten years, so decided to catch up with him before he jetted off to live in Australia, was not a minter though VG+ at best, hey but who give a fook, first one I had ever seen :D sad ba***d or what

Went to the Wilton allnighter with him that weekend for his final spot in the UK what a great night yes.gif & spot he produced

Social source share

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert