Cover Up

Guest Tommy

Think it's best i don't say what this record is as it's covered up by a few DJ's, so best i keep it covered up. And anyone out there who might know what this record is i'd appreciate it if you didnt say anything on this thread in respect for those who have it covered up.

I can tell you that it's an LP, and a very rare LP at that (i've been searching for a few years for one and finally found this copy a week ago). THIS IS A L.P. ONLY TRACK. NEVER GOT RELEASED ON A 45, AND STILL HAS NO CD RELEASES, ETC.

I'm going to be taking OFFERS OVER 50.00 pounds for the next week on this one (auction will end on Sunday 18th at 8pm U.K. time - i'll e-mail the winning bidder as soon as i get a chance, but take my word for it that the auction will end by the said date/ time).

You can either PM me or E-mail me with your offers (pottsy42pottsy AT hotmail.com - change AT to @).

Condition:

COVER = STRONG VG TO VG+

RECORD = VG+

Sound clip is attached.

Thanks for looking.

P.S. I ALSO HAVE A BUNCH OF 45'S UP ON EBAY RIGHT NOW... LINK IS BELOW IN MY SIGNATURE...

cover_up.mp3

Edited by Tommy
Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think it's best i don't say what this record is as it's covered up by a few DJ's, so best i keep it covered up. And anyone out there who might know what this record is i'd appreciate it if you didnt say anything on this thread in respect for those who have it covered up.

I can tell you that it's an LP, and a very rare LP at that (i've been searching for a few years for one and finally found this copy a week ago). THIS IS A L.P. ONLY TRACK. NEVER GOT RELEASED ON A 45, AND STILL HAS NO CD RELEASES, ETC.

I'm going to be taking OFFERS OVER 50.00 pounds for the next week on this one (auction will end on Sunday 18th at 8pm U.K. time - i'll e-mail the winning bidder as soon as i get a chance, but take my word for it that the auction will end by the said date/ time).

You can either PM me or E-mail me with your offers (pottsy42pottsy AT hotmail.com - change AT to @).

Condition:

COVER = STRONG VG TO VG+

RECORD = VG+

Sound clip is attached.

Thanks for looking.

P.S. I ALSO HAVE A BUNCH OF 45'S UP ON EBAY RIGHT NOW... LINK IS BELOW IN MY SIGNATURE...

Don't know the title so don't worry..But I think it's a great record!

Social source share

Condition:

COVER = STRONG VG TO VG+

RECORD = VG+

Sound clip is attached.

Thanks for looking.

I dont get this- Cover ups are there to be uncovered- thats the whole point of covering up- If you want to keep it to yourself just to get a better price- thats ok(but not very moral) but dont expect everyone else to keep shut to assist your finacial gain- If someone knows it and wants to expose it to the masses thats their perogative!

Its not bad track at all. If its that rare it doesnt need covering up. The moral position of this in my view is just as bad as Levines wrong side of town saga

Social source share

I dont get this- Cover ups are there to be uncovered- thats the whole point of covering up- If you want to keep it to yourself just to get a better price- thats ok(but not very moral) but dont expect everyone else to keep shut to assist your finacial gain- If someone knows it and wants to expose it to the masses thats their perogative!

Its not bad track at all. If its that rare it doesnt need covering up. The moral position of this in my view is just as bad as Levines wrong side of town saga

How on earth you can compare what Tommy has said to something that Levine did with the 4 Vandals I'll never know. He isn't being deceitful or trying to rip anyone off so I can't see a problem. All Tommy is doing is showing a bit of respect to the DJ(s) who are paying this covered up and full marks to him. If a little more respect/etiquette was shown the scene would be a better place for it.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

How on earth you can compare what Tommy has said to something that Levine did with the 4 Vandals I'll never know. He isn't being deceitful or trying to rip anyone off so I can't see a problem. All Tommy is doing is showing a bit of respect to the DJ(s) who are paying this covered up and full marks to him. If a little more respect/etiquette was shown the scene would be a better place for it.

No -hees trying to get as much money for a record without giving the full facts of the record namely the name etc - To me thats deception and from a legal perspective it could be could be a breach of the sale of goods act - Have you thought of that one chalky!

God its been an interesting day!

Social source share

No -hees trying to get as much money for a record without giving the full facts of the record namely the name etc - To me thats deception and from a legal perspective it could be could be a breach of the sale of goods act - Have you thought of that one chalky!

God its been an interesting day!

Doesn't everyone try and get as much money as they can for the records they have for sale. What Tommy is doing isn't the first time and won' tbe the last. Seen many cover ups in sales boxes and lists. There's always a risk in buying records of more turning up, covered up or not.

I bet if you had a cover up which was a big record for you you wouldn't be best pleased if some clever tw*t uncovered it on here or elsewhere.

Social source share

Doesn't everyone try and get as much money as they can for the records they have for sale. What Tommy is doing isn't the first time and won' tbe the last. Seen many cover ups in sales boxes and lists. There's always a risk in buying records of more turning up, covered up or not.

I bet if you had a cover up which was a big record for you you wouldn't be best pleased if some clever tw*t uncovered it on here or elsewhere.

Actually I have - but good to the guy who found it out- I wasnt trying to make a lot of money out of it - I was trying to get interest in the record - Thats what cover ups are about not trying to ilccit as much cash as you can.

last night I played a record that a very big collector asked me what it was. I told him immeadiately- he said cheers Steve and if he gets acopy and plays it out he will say athankyou to me over the Mic - Now that makes me feel good - not covering the thing up and then trying to screw as much money out of him as poss (Thats what an auction does)

Social source share

If i knew it or had it i would uncover it,i dont owe anybody anything, like my cover-ups your welcome to un-cover em`this isnt rare or you wouldnt be flappin on about it.

Social source share

If i knew it or had it i would uncover it,i dont owe anybody anything, like my cover-ups your welcome to un-cover em`this isnt rare or you wouldnt be flappin on about it.

if it's what I think it is it's on a label named after an ocean - but I could be wrong, I usually am :) . Anyway, absolutely magic record; good luck with it ... ...

Phil

Social source share

Yep with the soundclip etc, anyone can bid what they want. Where's the problem?

Social source share

[quote name='Tommy' date='Nov 11 2007, 07:41 PM' post='620321'

Ernie, Firstly, i think your out of order talking to me like this, and to be quite honest i can't see why i'm bothering replying to your post as i find everything you've said to be total crap. Secondly, don't ever fu*king compare me to Ian Levine, or anyone else for that matter, especially when i've done sod all wrong.

Cover up's are not there to be instantly uncovered, hence the whole process of covering them up.

Me keeping the "secret" going has got sod all to do with getting a good price for this record as to be honest if you knew what this LP was you most likely wouldnt be able to find a copy anyways, due to its rarity. As Chalky has said, i've just got enough respect not to un-cover a record that certain DJ's have gone to the effort to cover. If i did do that then i'd look as bigger prat as you do right now...

Edited by Tommy
Social source share

Ernie, Firstly, i think your out of order talking to me like this, and to be quite honest i can't see why i'm bothering replying to your post as i find everything you've said to be total crap. Secondly, don't ever fu*king compare me to Ian Levine, or anyone else for that matter, especially when i've done sod all wrong.

Cover up's are not there to be instantly uncovered, hence the whole process of covering them up.

Me keeping the "secret" going has got sod all to do with getting a good price for this record as to be honest if you knew what this LP was you most likely wouldnt be able to find a copy anyways, due to its rarity. As Chalky has said, i've just got enough respect not to un-cover a record that certain DJ's have gone to the effort to cover. If i did do that then i'd look as bigger prat as you do right now...

Now whenever people start using swear words in an agressive manner you know they have lost the argument.

In your post you said you had just got this so your not promoting the record like other djs for the sake of the music your just taking an opportunistic occasion to make some dosh - nothing else.

DJs do Cover ups for the interest in the record

As per the Little major williams- If its that rare why cover it up?

As for comparing you to Ian Levine - Could not do that as Ian was abrilliant DJ - How many Djs can hold the floor using one deck?

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Tommy i think you have done the right thing mate, dont rise to the bait..........good luck with the auction............... oh & BTW Tommy is an excellent DJ who in the 21 st century is better than Ian Levine.

In fact i dont know why im even defending Tommy really as anyone can see all he's doing is using the correct etiquette & now he's getting pulled up on it, you know it doesnt matter what you do these days there always someone going to piss on your bonfire.

I dont really think Tommy cares about whether this tune is covered up from any financial point of view, its just in his opinion he didnt want to uncover it, he could have played the big 'i am' and uncovered it to a drum roll, but he didnt, he's not worried about the dosh as the LP is rare anyway & he probably would get the same financially covered or uncovered.

Russ

Social source share

he's not worried about the dosh as the LP is rare anyway & he probably would get the same financially covered or uncovered.

Russ

Of course he is worried about the dosh otherwise it would be a set sale not an auction wouldn't it.

I've no problem with the first part of the sales pitch, it's the bit where he tells people not to tell anyone what it is that rattled Steve by the look of it.

Social source share

Of course he is worried about the dosh otherwise it would be a set sale not an auction wouldn't it.

I've no problem with the first part of the sales pitch, it's the bit where he tells people not to tell anyone what it is that rattled Steve by the look of it.

Maybe Im wrong Pete, but i just thought Tommy was trying to respect the wishes of the person/people who had it covered up & was just trying to head of at the pass 'the ive got that its ?????' before it happened.

Russ

Social source share

Now whenever people start using swear words in an agressive manner you know they have lost the argument.

In your post you said you had just got this so your not promoting the record like other djs for the sake of the music your just taking an opportunistic occasion to make some dosh - nothing else.

DJs do Cover ups for the interest in the record

As per the Little major williams- If its that rare why cover it up?

As for comparing you to Ian Levine - Could not do that as Ian was abrilliant DJ - How many Djs can hold the floor using one deck?

To be honest Ernie, i'm totally done with you now. Youve obviously got some weird little problem with me, and i shouldnt have even replied to your first e-mails as i'm better than that. End of story.

I appreciate everyones kind words and i appreciate everyone sticking up for me as obviously you can see i'm just trying to do the right thing, and as Russ said, i don't want to be the one who uncovers it. I'm a record dealer whos just trying to sell a record, theres sod all wrong with that.

In reply to your question ken, it's covered up as George S. Collins.

Social source share

As usual Pete you are spot on - Its the corrolation between if noone says what it is the price will go up and if people do say what it is the price will go down.

Hey pete wheres that Pic of R& friends

Steve

Social source share

Thought Tommy's 'old school" etiquette deserved a bump. Cover Ups - Love 'em or loathe 'em, they're all part of the craic. Guy used to spend more time informing people of the title than the bleedin' song lasted for! :lol:

Tommy....Don't bite Mate. Stick to what you do. Let the world do it's own thing.

Social source share

A couple of days left on this, so don't forget to get your bids in. It's currently sitting on 100.00 quid.

:unsure:

:ohmy: She watched it slowly slip away...boo hoo

Social source share

too right ckalky, in the days now of the internet were just about every record is laid on a shelf for you, if you want it, cover ups as good as this one take you back to the good old days were the northern scene retained a bit of mystery....its a crackin track.

Social source share

If I said to you all that this track is well known and has been played and openly identified in clubs and on radio Down Under in Sydney for a couple of years now, would that change the course of this discussion?

Or in 2007 are we still supposed to believe that the Rare Soul Scene only exists in a handful of counties in the north of the UK ?

Social source share

If I said to you all that this track is well known and has been played and openly identified in clubs and on radio Down Under in Sydney for a couple of years now, would that change the course of this discussion?

Or in 2007 are we still supposed to believe that the Rare Soul Scene only exists in a handful of counties in the north of the UK ?

Tell me and I'll tell everyone else if you don't want to say anything.

Social source share

in the interests of those who have it covered up i will leave you wondering.

mark

Youll tell us owt`,bet you dont even know........some people will do owt`to get in with the inner circle of DJ rif-raf. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Condition:

COVER = STRONG VG TO VG+

RECORD = VG+

Sound clip is attached.

Thanks for looking.

Sounds like PAUL HAVERKINS gospel cover up!! I know what that is.. :ohmy:

Social source share

so if this well known album track is uncovered on this forum will that £100 bider and Mr Potts Jnr be pissed off ? :ohmy:

Don't see why they should if it's album only and a rare album at that £100 is a snip IMO, but only if the tune is 'your thing'. I'd have a bid on this if it was a 45 but I guess it would be way over £100 if it were.

The cover-up may or may not disguise how rare (or common) it is, though I doubt Tommy is using that as the reason for not uncovering it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert