• Replies 30
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Jeez...Imagine how he'd of felt if it had been one of his rare ones :ohmy:

GOT ONE TO EQUAL THAT ONE, AFTER BUYING AN AL WILLIAMS WHITE DEMO IN 1979 FOR THE PRINCLEY SUM OF £35 MY YOUNGER BROTHER WHO OFTEN RAIDED MY RECORD BOX WHILE I WAS OUT KNELT ON IT SMASHING IT IN HALF, WAS SICK AS A PARROT WITH TWO TON OF SEED N NO BEAK :D

Social source share

GOT ONE TO EQUAL THAT ONE, AFTER BUYING AN AL WILLIAMS WHITE DEMO IN 1979 FOR THE PRINCLEY SUM OF £35 MY YOUNGER BROTHER WHO OFTEN RAIDED MY RECORD BOX WHILE I WAS OUT KNELT ON IT SMASHING IT IN HALF, WAS SICK AS A PARROT WITH TWO TON OF SEED N NO BEAK :ohmy:

That's tough Harry but the point about the Counts was it was the only known copy and there was no master tape!

Social source share

surely there has been some sort of restoration job done by Andy on this 45? Do we know what we are missing, somebody somewhere must had heard this track?

Mal

There's been a mint one found since apparently - and the guy Andy got that broken one from had another copy which he threw away because it wasn't in great condition :ohmy:

Social source share

The one on ebay was cracked.

I thought the story before was that Mike Noriega had a copy and that one that got mailed was the 2nd known copy?

Quote direct from Andy:

There was a cracked one on e-bay about a month or so ago ... Lew Stanley found a mint one some 8 years ago which he sold for a lot

Irony is that the guy had 2 copies ... threw one away cos it looked a little worn and that copy is the one he gave to his mother to post .. straight in a jiffy bag & no cardboard !!!

Social source share

John's a bit embarrassed to post this himself... apparently he tripped on the way back from recording the sound bite for the auction laugh.gif

post-1076-1196104321_thumb.jpg

:thumbup: nice one Joan

Social source share

Quote direct from Andy:

There was a cracked one on e-bay about a month or so ago ... Lew Stanley found a mint one some 8 years ago which he sold for a lot

Yeah, Mike told me he got his copy from Lew and had to pay in installments, and then resold it to someone else in Michigan a few years later. Maybe it's in the UK now?

Social source share

Couple of years ago, I bought an original Soul Brothers Inc "Pyramid" from the daughter of the leader of the group, and I paid shall we say "market value", she posted it in an envelope with nothing but a paper dinner napkin wrapped around it and a promo photo of the group inside ...

It arrived ... in about 12 pieces ...

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Ouch. It seems a bit iroinc. They can pile thousands of boxes of records, comics, and books into cargo ships for use as ballast and they'll all survive, but just put one disc in the hands of an authorised carrier, and it seems you take your chances...

Social source share

GOT ONE TO EQUAL THAT ONE, AFTER BUYING AN AL WILLIAMS WHITE DEMO IN 1979 FOR THE PRINCLEY SUM OF £35 MY YOUNGER BROTHER WHO OFTEN RAIDED MY RECORD BOX WHILE I WAS OUT KNELT ON IT SMASHING IT IN HALF, WAS SICK AS A PARROT WITH TWO TON OF SEED N NO BEAK :rolleyes:

Christ was it that long ago Harry? I remember you lending me one or two of those from that collection so I could tape them - hope I returned them in one piece! That was quite a playlist you had in those days mate - didn't realise young dez was so clumsy! Do you remember my Yvonne Baker demo didn't make it home from Wigan in one piece about the same time. Hope you're doing Ok and might bump into you again one of these days..... Jorge

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Yeah, Mike told me he got his copy from Lew and had to pay in installments, and then resold it to someone else in Michigan a few years later. Maybe it's in the UK now?

I don't know about Mike's but when the broken one arrived it was the only known copy. I think one has turned up since though.

Hey Guys. Been played out a few times in the North-East (an overlooked bastion of northern soul?!) in recent months. Just shows that no-one ever checks out the playlists from the land of the frozen disused coal pits and derelict shipyards!!

There's quite a few top DJs around these parts, you know! Decent venues too, worth supporting.

I think this (Piercebridge) was one of the most recent spins. Easington as well if i remember rightly:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59635

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Well, I think that's proved the point!

Everybody's asking about the Counts ... who's got it? ... is it in the UK? ... is there one that's not cracked? ... how much did it sell for? ... , then the moment someone points out that it's being played in the NORTH EAST, along with loads of other great stuff by a number excellent DJs, the whole topic goes deathly silent!?!!

Ady - I'm surprised at your comment about 'I THINK one has turned up since' - according to your own sleeve notes (Shrine vol 2) the 'good one' (from Lew) was used to dub the track onto the CD!!!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a mint one found since apparently - and the guy Andy got that broken one from had another copy which he threw away because it wasn't in great condition :D

Back to this one again pete, how many copies of this record are there, was talking to a goo friend of mine who is a shrine collector. lives up north near me and he informed me he has a copy, now seeing his collection i totally believe him just wondered how many theres supposed to be? he informed me his copy is the one that the sounbite for the shrine cd was lifted from :D

Social source share

Well, I think that's proved the point!

Everybody's asking about the Counts ... who's got it? ... is it in the UK? ... is there one that's not cracked? ... how much did it sell for? ... , then the moment someone points out that it's being played in the NORTH EAST, along with loads of other great stuff by a number excellent DJs, the whole topic goes deathly silent!?!!

Ady - I'm surprised at your comment about 'I THINK one has turned up since' - according to your own sleeve notes (Shrine vol 2) the 'good one' (from Lew) was used to dub the track onto the CD!!!

I personally think that discussions about "how many exist" are sort of silly. Unless something is well documented from production through the time DJs get it (e.g. Frank Wilson), who knows how many copies are sitting in people's collections or undiscovered in some basement that are not known. I probably have some records that people think only a few exist and don't know about my copy. I was only responding to the idea that there was only 1 or 2 by pointing out one more. I don't think people were somehow insulted and got silent because you mentioned the "north east", I just think there was nothing else for anyone to say.

Social source share

Hey Guys. Been played out a few times in the North-East (an overlooked bastion of northern soul?!) in recent months. Just shows that no-one ever checks out the playlists from the land of the frozen disused coal pits and derelict shipyards!!

There's quite a few top DJs around these parts, you know! Decent venues too, worth supporting.

I think this (Piercebridge) was one of the most recent spins. Easington as well if i remember rightly:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59635

Totally agree with you there mate moved into the area about 4yrs ago from york, never came up this way much apart from seeing eddie holman at the dolphin centre many moons ago also used to do the mayfair siute newcastle, allways went the other way to lancashire, was and still amazed at the wealth of talent/knowledge up here total respect! back to the counts yeh the lad where talking about has a fantastic collection, me and my wife run a night at EASINGTON VILLAGE WMC rare & underplayed 60`s n r`n`b & he dj`s for us regularly nice lad just as you say dosn`t get the recognition he and a lot of others up here deserve all the best HARRY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert