Ebay Last Night - The Sweets

Guest brianhorton

Guest brianhorton

ANYBODY KNOW WHY BIG MONEY WAS SPENT A BOOTLEG COPY OF THE SWEETS LAST NIGHT = £238 ! DID THE BIDDERS THINK THEY WERE GETTING A BARGAIN ORIGINAL !, I SEEM TO REMEMBER THIS GETTING PRESSED AROUND 71 ON THE ORIGINAL SOULTOWN LOGO BEFORE THE MORE POPULAR BOOT WITH THE INSTRUMENTAL ON THE B SIDE

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest brianhorton

GOT PRESSED AROUND 71 ALBEIT LIMITED, SAME TIME AS CINDY SCOTT AND THE TRIPPS, I KNOW BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT !, RECORD GOT BOOTED ON THE FAMILIAR CHEAP DESIGN AFTER IT WENT MASSIVE ON THE SCENE FOR THE INSTRUMENTAL BACKING TRACK SUPPLIED BY BOBBY SANDERS [sOULTOWN]

Social source share

GOT PRESSED AROUND 71 ALBEIT LIMITED, SAME TIME AS CINDY SCOTT AND THE TRIPPS, I KNOW BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT !, RECORD GOT BOOTED ON THE FAMILIAR CHEAP DESIGN AFTER IT WENT MASSIVE ON THE SCENE FOR THE INSTRUMENTAL BACKING TRACK SUPPLIED BY BOBBY SANDERS [sOULTOWN]

Not arguing with you but I've never seen one in, what, 33 years - but I've had every other pressing on the label numerous times...it can't have been distributed like the others were

Social source share

Might be you have an original ph34r.gif

The one on ebay wassad.gif

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Not arguing with you but I've never seen one in, what, 33 years - but I've had every other pressing on the label numerous times...it can't have been distributed like the others were

My thoughts exactly, never, ever seen one.

I have the "more common" boot with the Instrumental

and some of the other Titles on Soul Town Boots.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

My thoughts exactly, never, ever seen one.

I have the "more common" boot with the Instrumental

and some of the other Titles on Soul Town Boots.

I had the boot, label is lighter yellow and glossy...

Social source share

Ive never seen or heard of a 'soultown' sweets boot..

Mr Smith you may have got yourself a bargain... :lol:

9adf_1.JPG

Soultown_S-10.gifSoultown_S-11.gif

Ceratinly looks the business, these are genuine Soultown.

------------* BOOT *

Soultown_S-140_B.gif

------------* BOOT *

The others were a different Yellow altogether, I think.

Difficult when It's a Photo though.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Someone must have John's boot guide? I thought the original Soultown release was kinda pink/purple colour. Im not sure though.

ROD

In the boot guide it makes no mention of a proper design Soultown copy. And like I said, I've never seen one, you'd think after all these years and seeing thousands and thousands of records you'd see one copy.

Social source share

In the boot guide it makes no mention of a proper design Soultown copy. And like I said, I've never seen one, you'd think after all these years and seeing thousands and thousands of records you'd see one copy.

Only ever seen this one

Soultown_S-105-A_B-1.gif

The others quite easy to pick up at the time, Never seen The Sweets - Satisfy Me Baby / Something About My Baby

Soultown_S-139_B.gifSoultown_S-718_B.gifSoultown_S-140_B.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I had one of these but gave it away with a load of cheepies thinking it was pressing as I bought it very early on in my time on the scene as a boot. I've never had a real one to be sure if it was different. Don't know whether I hope it was a real one or not now.

Social source share

Someone got the bargain of the year

I have an original-- although it's difficult to tell by looking at a scan as such I am certain that it was never booted with Something About My Baby on the other side

At the time the fast Satisfy Me Baby was the side to have and was booted with the instrumental flip

Social source share

I have an original-- although it's difficult to tell by looking at a scan as such I am certain that it was never booted with Something About My Baby on the other side

At the time the fast Satisfy Me Baby was the side to have and was booted with the instrumental flip

I suspect that when Original copies came into the country, just like any other at the time they were overlooked.

Problem being that Soultown had been selected as an Authentic looking, cheap to produce 2 colour label for the other BOOTs.

I must also say that untill this thread, I would have been just as cautious when bidding,

It's only by swapping thoughts and Information that things like this come to light.

As already stated, It looks like "Someone got the bargain of the year"

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

This clinches It for me Pete, The Bootleggers must have pressed similar quantities of all the titles surely.

Social source share

Talking of Ebay a bit like this one then, wink.gif

post-2848-1198114352.jpg

Sold for: US $125.00

(approximately £62.07)

Auction ended early with Buy It Now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended: 20-Oct-07 14:19:00 BST

Postage costs: To United Kingdom -- US $5.80

USPS First Class Mail InternationalTM

Service to United Kingdom

(more services)

Post to: Worldwide

Dave f..................

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Talking of Ebay a bit like this one then, wink.gif

post-2848-1198114352.jpg

Sold for: US $125.00

(approximately £62.07)

Auction ended early with Buy It Now.

Dave f..................

Wow! now thats a bargain I would like!

Royal Robins, "Something about you sends me" Love it!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russ Smith

The record arrived today, it's delta number 68418 which dates it late 67 so there's no doubt it's a proper one. Best xmas pressie I've had biggrin.gif:lol::lol:

Sweet !!

Social source share

OUCH! Indeed.

I have heard a few people say, I've got some records, they're all pressings,

They're In the loft or garage in a box. Just shows, you never know.

I had new neighbours move in next door to me in 1990 - after a few months, and once we'd got to know each other better, he popped round one day with a white plastic carrier bag containing approx 30 45's. His mate had been active on the soul scene some years earlier and this was the remnants of his collection (Max from Cambridge apparently went thru them first!). I gave him about 50p per disc - all 'classic' boots with the exception of two: Cobblestones on Mercury issue & Wade Flemons 'Jeanette'!!!!

Wot a hit!!! er... not quite: firstly, sold the Wade Flemmons to a friend of a friend one Ritz a/n after they caught me with my box outside the toilets - and as he was a mate of a mate I felt charitable and let him have it for a tenner! Instead of the twenty I was gonna ask. Worse still... some guy had sat there and witnessed all this take place - only after I'd watched a very happy chappy depart with his new purchase did this bloke turn and say to me: 'you know that sells for £200 don't you'!!!

The Cobblestones (never a favourite tune of mine) saw people tripping over themselves to be the first to secure it for the £10 price tag I attached to it. It was only when I then asked someone what it was fetching I realised I'd just gravitated another testacle!!

The way I prefered to look at it was based on the original purchase price I paid, that way the sick feeling wasn't quite so intense! :lol:

Social source share

I hope he doesn't find out it's true value, I bet he was dead chuffed to get £238 for what he probably thought was a boot, I hope it stays that way.

i'm sure you'll be safe.

as long as he hasn't got access to the internet, goes to google and puts in

sweets satisfy me baby

which leads you straight to this thread laugh.gif:lol:

_39183011_dadsarmy_270.jpg

don't tell them your name Pike

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

I had new neighbours move in next door to me in 1990 - after a few months, and once we'd got to know each other better, he popped round one day with a white plastic carrier bag containing approx 30 45's. His mate had been active on the soul scene some years earlier and this was the remnants of his collection (Max from Cambridge apparently went thru them first!). I gave him about 50p per disc - all 'classic' boots with the exception of two: Cobblestones on Mercury issue & Wade Flemons 'Jeanette'!!!!

Thats not like Max to miss out on a bargain !

Social source share

Alright alright don't rub it in (I was second and only other high bidder but only saw it with 2 mins left!)

I know I saw you had bid on it & thought I'd probably lost it but fortunatly for me I'd had all week to check it out. Still surprised at the £1500 price tag JM puts on it though.

Social source share

i'm sure you'll be safe.

as long as he hasn't got access to the internet, goes to google and puts in

sweets satisfy me baby

which leads you straight to this thread :shades::rolleyes:

If he was going to find this thread I think he'd have found it by now, been crapping it all week in case he did though :thumbup:

Social source share

I know I saw you had bid on it & thought I'd probably lost it but fortunatly for me I'd had all week to check it out. Still surprised at the £1500 price tag JM puts on it though.

If I'd had a bit of time I'd have checked the bank account but in all honesty I don't think I had more than 400 quid so that's all I could have bid, I think I put 250 on it with 30 seconds left but even then I was still only about 95% certain it was real. Still. comforting to know that only 2 of us spotted it :P

Social source share

If I'd had a bit of time I'd have checked the bank account but in all honesty I don't think I had more than 400 quid so that's all I could have bid, I think I put 250 on it with 30 seconds left but even then I was still only about 95% certain it was real. Still. comforting to know that only 2 of us spotted it :unsure:

It's about time I beat you on something anyway, you've beat me loads of times, 3 times in 1 week a few months ago :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert