Dance Competitions

Soulsmith

Dance Competitions  

1. 1. They should be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Guest john-h

hi to all soulies just felt ive kept my gob shut for far too long and im going to have my say on the Dancer so called "soul dancer"in the you tube clip ...

Northern soul dancing is a form of ART, Expression, PASSION and TIMING and the LOVE of Soul music, the girl in question has none of these i,m old skool dancer love the scene the music and all the people i meet and respect them has they do me.. But how many times have we seen Northern Dance Competions where some of the competiors are well F****n crap to put it ,to me a good dancer should be in time to the music expressing themselves not just throwing themselves all over the floor kicking .A dancer who does nice foot work spins and different foot work can be a plesure to watch and a insperation to others who want to develop there dancing im not the worlds best never hope to be but hate to see people who think there northern dancers but arnt and never will be.. no im not the soul police but may be for people who enter Dance Competions its time to change the way people are entered or asked by the event organiser if they would like to be in one ...selection process or just dont bother to hold them and let people who watch people dance from the side lines and pay the dancer a compliment when they come off the floor .That means more to me than two minutes of fame on you tube.

john h

Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As one of the guilty on this clip i may as well have my pennies worth, i can only speak for myself of course..i dont take it all too seriously (though i do take me music seriously as i demand the best and want and will travel to hear good music why should i put up with hearing shite music when there is so much good tuneage out their)...i entered for the craic (i'd be lying if i said £200 worth of goodies wouldnt have been nice and an old trophy, why not..), the tunes were wank to dance to and thats not surprising to be honest..considering my three fave tracks played over the weekend which I requested from Sam emptied the floor...its a tad cringe worthy i do admit when i see that vid...never got into this music to win a competition, i feel this music more than anyone and have an all mighty urge to dance wether that be in bedroom, kitchen, dancefloor..i dance cause i feel i have no choice, dancing to these tunes makes me feel more alive than anythin else..Having dance competitions banned or not it still unfortunately wont make some of these nights any better cause too many dj's are still stuck playin the same old same old..if some lady wants to jump about the floor showing her knicks fair play to her..we all got a larf..lighten up y'all!! its 08!.. thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest Trevski

As one of the guilty on this clip i may as well have my pennies worth, i can only speak for myself of course..i dont take it all too seriously (though i do take me music seriously as i demand the best and want and will travel to hear good music why should i put up with hearing shite music when there is so much good tuneage out their)...i entered for the craic (i'd be lying if i said £200 worth of goodies wouldnt have been nice and an old trophy, why not..), the tunes were wank to dance to and thats not surprising to be honest..considering my three fave tracks played over the weekend which I requested from Sam emptied the floor...its a tad cringe worthy i do admit when i see that vid...never got into this music to win a competition, i feel this music more than anyone and have an all mighty urge to dance wether that be in bedroom, kitchen, dancefloor..i dance cause i feel i have no choice, dancing to these tunes makes me feel more alive than anythin else..Having dance competitions banned or not it still unfortunately wont make some of these nights any better cause too many dj's are still stuck playin the same old same old..if some lady wants to jump about the floor showing her knicks fair play to her..we all got a larf..lighten up y'all!! its 08!.. thumbup.gif

Might get a few arguments there! :shades: Didya win? :shades:

Social source share

Might get a few arguments there! :thumbup: Didya win? :D

See Trevski i'll say it cause its how i feel about it, i know that others will say the same but thats the whole beauty of it..i always think "god no one could possibly feel how im feeling" when i listen to a tune and it sends me fookin sidewaysand makes me an emotional wreck or gets me buzzing more than any drugs could possibly..i know we all feel as passionately about the music as the next but its just how i feel about it as much as i know i aint alone...did that make sense? probably not...no i didnt win heehee :D

Social source share

As one of the guilty on this clip i may as well have my pennies worth, i can only speak for myself of course..i dont take it all too seriously (though i do take me music seriously as i demand the best and want and will travel to hear good music why should i put up with hearing shite music when there is so much good tuneage out their)...i entered for the craic (i'd be lying if i said £200 worth of goodies wouldnt have been nice and an old trophy, why not..), the tunes were wank to dance to and thats not surprising to be honest..considering my three fave tracks played over the weekend which I requested from Sam emptied the floor...its a tad cringe worthy i do admit when i see that vid...never got into this music to win a competition, i feel this music more than anyone and have an all mighty urge to dance wether that be in bedroom, kitchen, dancefloor..i dance cause i feel i have no choice, dancing to these tunes makes me feel more alive than anythin else..Having dance competitions banned or not it still unfortunately wont make some of these nights any better cause too many dj's are still stuck playin the same old same old..if some lady wants to jump about the floor showing her knicks fair play to her..we all got a larf..lighten up y'all!! its 08!.. :D

Well speaking as someone who encouraged Liam to enter the dance competiton....I too must be guilty....I just love watching him dance...and considering the choice of music which left him cold yet he was still able to put up a very credible display..which had many soulfolk coming over to him ..shaking his hand and giving him respect....this was before the winner was even announced!!!...i am so glad that the thong showing lady dancer is not a member of the esteemed SSLAAS...because she would've be thrown out of our society...being pious Ladies ,....we frown on such brazen behaviour :D:thumbup: .. ...Delxx

Social source share

Guest john-h

toodarnsoulful glad your hearts in it dont be gruge you for wantin to win 200 quids worth yeah im not a kill joy but it pisses me off when i dance i want quality music not played out oldies just for the backdrop brigade theres plenty of top tunes to show your stile and inteperation of the music theres more to it than throwing your body around the floor i dont want to cause you offence or be little you want younger blood to keep the scene going know that buzz you mention and love that feeling whrn the dance floors right and you hit all the right moves nuff said

OLD SKOOL SOULIE

Social source share

..if some lady wants to jump about the floor showing her knicks fair play to her..we all got a larf..lighten up y'all!! its 08!.. :D

we are lightened up Liam and had a good laugh :D

But like Col said it also a bad joke! I can just imagine some outsider wetting themselves whilst watching that clip and thinking what a bunch of La La's :lol: Dancers just aren't like they used to be and dance comps just spoil and disrupt the night for many, they have done for years

I agree with t'others you should have won :( Who did win btw? If the judges owt like me I hardly noticed anyone else :lol::lol::thumbup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Well my thoughts on this.....is that if you are passionate about the music and ya dancing......why the F**K did,nt they walk off the dancefloor when they played all them SHITE!!! toons!!?? Cos there,s NO WAY!!! i,d have stopped on that dancefloor :D mind ya would,nt have entered the comp anyways :thumbup: ........JB

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

if you lot think this year was bad you wait until next year when i enter in a skirt and thong :wicked:

Liam, did you even notice the thong lady at any time if so what was going through your mind apart from, Do I Love You :lol:

Social source share

if you lot think this year was bad you wait until next year when i enter in a skirt and thong :wicked:

Liam, did you even notice the thong lady at any time if so what was going through your mind apart from, Do I Love You :lol:

As long as you don't play the records otherwise no one will be up dancing :yes:

Social source share

i

Liam, did you even notice the thong lady at any time if so what was going through your mind apart from, Do I Love You :wicked:

..........I need to go and play with my own copy of 'The Snake', perhaps?..

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Found a clip from a little earlier in the competition YOU TUBE

At the start of the clip left of frame, the guy in the black vest / white shoes falls over, and nearly covers it up by going into his breakdance routine.

Martyn

:wicked: priceless

Social source share

Found a clip from a little earlier in the competition YOU TUBE

At the start of the clip left of frame, the guy in the black vest / white shoes falls over, and nearly covers it up by going into his breakdance routine.

Martyn

Well spotted Martyn, he did fall, good recovery tho, I think the guy's name is Alex Simm.

I HATE dance comp's, but I've have always wondered when they got down to the last few, what they

would be like dancing to a good underplayed dancer and how they would interpret the tune when they

hav'nt had year's to practise to an oldie.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

Well spotted Martyn, he did fall, good recovery tho, I think the guy's name is Alex Simm.

I HATE dance comp's, but I've have always wondered when they got down to the last few, what they

would be like dancing to a good underplayed dancer and how they would interpret the tune when they

hav'nt had year's to practise to an oldie.

Willie

As opposed to me an oldie who has had years of practice :wicked: ... not that you can tell these days. However I do enjoy dancing to something I have not heard before, I make it up as I go along, occasionally in time with the music. :lol:

I am sure that he must of read one of the early Manifesto's 'Top Tips' how to recover from a fall, and not look a pratt.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

As opposed to me an oldie who has had years of practice :thumbup: ... not that you can tell these days. However I do enjoy dancing to something I have not heard before, I make it up as I go along, occasionally in time with the music. :ohmy:

I am sure that he must of read one of the early Manifesto's 'Top Tips' how to recover from a fall, and not look a pratt.

Martyn

Ahh Top Tips, Oh how I miss them !

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

This clip looks like the last 3 in the competition, including 'Thong' and 'White Shoes'.

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6vlreBNxFT8&...feature=related

At least this time we don't have to listen to The Snake or DILY.

I've looked at a number of YouTube clips covering the weekender - all different times during the event, but so many of them have The Snake playing :D . Oh dear!

Brian :P

Social source share

The lad in the black vest & white shoes I think, there are a few other links on the youtube site, one of them shows Richard Searling walking over to him.

Martyn

If he did win then the judges didn't see this acrobatic effort (watch the start carefully for the "recovery")

He certainly could move though and yes I do wish my feet moved that fast! :P My pacemaker would probably conk out if I tried though :D:lol:

Edit: just seen this clip has already been posted (doh!)

Edited by paultp
Social source share

If he did win then the judges didn't see this acrobatic effort (watch the start carefully for the "recovery")

He certainly could move though and yes I do wish my feet moved that fast! :P My pacemaker would probably conk out if I tried though :D:lol:

Edit: just seen this clip has already been posted (doh!)

Paul

Please try and pay attention at the back.....otherwise I shall have to put you next to Gavin :P

Martyn

Social source share

just looked at the you-tube video and i have two questions

1) are gerry and sylvia anderson still alive and if so did i see that thong girl on Captain Scarlet School of Dance training video.

2) how much talc was used on the floor because as sure as fook that thong girl managed to avoid the 'suction' effect when doing those splits, and I know she was excited (if not a tad confused) ..... just asking!!

Edited by coops
Social source share

just looked at the you-tube video and i have two questions

1) are gerry and sylvia anderson still alive and if so did i see that thong girl on Captain Scarlet School of Dance training video.

2) how much talc was used on the floor because as sure as fook that thong girl managed to avoid the 'suction' effect when doing those splits, and I know she was excited (if not a tad confused) ..... just asking!!

:P:D:lol: ...Delxx

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Calm down dear..it's only a commercial Spot. As said before in the Blackpool Top 500 thread..shoudn't this girl dancing thread be in 'Look At My Box'

Jock.

:P:D:lol:

Social source share

See Trevski i'll say it cause its how i feel about it, i know that others will say the same but thats the whole beauty of it..i always think "god no one could possibly feel how im feeling" when i listen to a tune and it sends me fookin sidewaysand makes me an emotional wreck or gets me buzzing more than any drugs could possibly..i know we all feel as passionately about the music as the next but its just how i feel about it as much as i know i aint alone...did that make sense? probably not...no i didnt win heehee :P

I get the point your making. I myself can only dance to tunes i like...and i dance for myself, so a competition would be a giant "NO"! Which begs the question: why were you dancing to that shite if it did'n't move you or inspire you? Unless old Frank Wilson does it for you? :D

Social source share

Well my thoughts on this.....is that if you are passionate about the music and ya dancing......why the F**K did,nt they walk off the dancefloor when they played all them SHITE!!! toons!!?? Cos there,s NO WAY!!! i,d have stopped on that dancefloor :lol: mind ya would,nt have entered the comp anyways :P ........JB

WELL SAID! :D

Social source share

I've always hated them. Invariably fixed and the best dancers never win. Mind you more often the best dancers don't enter.

Derek

agreee.......usually those with most mates there making the loudest cheers win (bit like being at old trafford really :thumbsup: )

Social source share

agreee.......usually those with most mates there making the loudest cheers win (bit like being at old trafford really :thumbsup: )

when did you last hear a noise emminating from the prawn sandwich munching pseudo middle class dicks that now populate what used to be the palace of the kings of football, but... staying on topic... Cristiano Ronaldo could have won that dance comp. seen the 'tricks and flips' he can manage when in a penalty box!

Social source share

when did you last hear a noise emminating from the prawn sandwich munching pseudo middle class dicks that now populate what used to be the palace of the kings of football, but... staying on topic... Cristiano Ronaldo could have won that dance comp. seen the 'tricks and flips' he can manage when in a penalty box!

quite true coops, trouble is as soon as another competitor came within 6 foot of him he would have gone down like a sack of shat and complained to the judges! :unsure:

Social source share

I get the point your making. I myself can only dance to tunes i like...and i dance for myself, so a competition would be a giant "NO"! Which begs the question: why were you dancing to that shite if it did'n't move you or inspire you? Unless old Frank Wilson does it for you? :thumbsup:

[/quote

But the fact of the matter is ...Liam...for better or worse proved himself even more...he was still able to show others his brill dancing despite the records that was played...had they played records he loved ...he would've blasted into orbit.....and Jellybean.... your daughter Gemma was also a participant ...who i thought should've got further than she did...she danced with a lot of passion that night...but alas..she didnt show enough ass :unsure: ... :yes: ...Delxxx

Social source share

The reason why freaks like this woman appear in dance comps, is because of the amount of criticism the gymnastic, or high coordinated dancers have come in for, so they stay away, but who is more silly, those who throw themselves around the floor with style or those of us who spend huge amounts of money on a piece of 7" vinyl. I have tried both, and find, by far, it's easier to spend silly amounts of money on vinyl, but if I could do what the likes of Keb Darge can do, I would definitely want to show it off, especially at my age. There is so much that makes up our scene, why not live and let live. Or before we know it we will have antique road show interested in our Vinyl and laughing at us !!?? As for the woman in question she should have been shown how to shave in the right places before cart wheeling below a balcony and more so shot for having no SOUL

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

quite true coops, trouble is as soon as another competitor came within 6 foot of him he would have gone down like a sack of shat and complained to the judges! :thumbsup:

:thumbup::unsure:biggrin.gif

Social source share

I enjoy watching really good dancers. I'm in the rubbish, enthusiastic and very sweaty category and really admire people who make it look effortless, The thing I struggle with about competitions is that often dancers are just demonstrating their moves, with none of it being particularly in time to the tune. In the Blackpool clips, the guy in the red is a proper dancer imho, the others are showboating. The Mickie Champion clip is a classic example. A genuine classic stomping record with none of the dancers appearing to be on the beat. Of course that may be clip quality, youtube sound / light synchronisation etc........

In spite of all that, I voted against banning as I am against banning things on principle if they don't directly impact on the health and wellbeing of someone else and they don't really do any harm.

Social source share

I think dance comps should be banned. People dance how they dance. How they wish to express themselves to the music. there is no right or wrong way. I regret entering a dance comp. I vowed never to do it again. Why - cos I fucking won! And all the misery that brings. As for me - I just kept on dancing - and watched you dance - right out of my life

Social source share

The lad in the black vest & white shoes I think, there are a few other links on the youtube site, one of them shows Richard Searling walking over to him.

Martyn

the Lad who won is Jamie Howdel from Pilsley Chesterfield, he dances well and loves Northern Soul, dad has been a dj on and of over the years. hes about 21 I think. :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert