Is Nothing Sacred ?

Guest Adam G

Well, that's 'cos it's true Mike.

When was the last time you saw a 6 page article on Bobby Bland in one of the world's most popular magazines? :D

Funnily enough, I'm not into either Bobby Bland or Mick Hucknall, so it's immaterial to me. I just think think it's kinda easy to be pompous about it. They're both musicians, so why not just leave 'em to it?

Bobby Bland will undoubtably gain a lot of new fans as a result of all this and Mick Hucknall will probably lose a few as it'll be too deep for his mainline audience.

Ian D :D

Bollocks its still shite :)

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I find all these comments regarding his hair colour to be highly Racist. :)

Not a fan myself, maybe a bit of jealousy on here, because he's rich and bedded

scores of beautiful ladies :D

Including Catherine Zeta-Jones the jammy bugger......... :(

That Charlie Drake imagery and oodles of dosh really seems to work for him........ :lol:

But serenading 'em with Bobby Bland tunes.........? Who had thought that would work........? :D

Ian D :D

Social source share

Funny but Mick Hucknall always sounds like Bobby Sheen to me.

Wonder if Bobby Bland's records will go up in value like when KFC's did their thing to the track??

I must say credit where credits due he is covering Bobby and not saying he is singing D Malones records.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Don't think its all bad, least he is showcasing a legend not like some who attempt to imitate and pretend its all their own work.

Another rumour mill without a grain of truth that at drunken Christmas parties Mick used to photopcoy his face and distribute to work colleagues

Social source share

Guest Adam G

The thing is I am one who doesnt mind at all the Amy Whinehouses (who has wrote some good songs).The Duffys, ETC they are just pop singers singing and if at the moment they are recording in a retro style reminicent of some soul tunes then more power to them.

And I am not botherd about Mick Hucknall having ginger hair I do have a problem with his big head syndrome though and this paticular record.

It is awfull the production is terrible his voice is totally lacklustre.

Eh if people like it fine..Me I'll stick to my guns absolute tripe

Social source share

The thing is I am one who doesnt mind at all the Amy Whinehouses (who has wrote some good songs).The Duffys, ETC they are just pop singers singing and if at the moment they are recording in a retro style reminicent of some soul tunes then more power to them.

And I am not botherd about Mick Hucknall having ginger hair I do have a problem with his big head syndrome though and this paticular record.

It is awfull the production is terrible his voice is totally lacklustre.

Eh if people like it fine..Me I'll stick to my guns absolute tripe

Probably is - in fact, I can't personaly think of anything worse really LOL. :yes:

Bobby Bland seems quite complimentary about it though - "You're phrasing was good," Bland proclaims. "It's not the same phrasing as mine, but you did one helluva job!"

Or do we think he was just saying that LOL? :thumbup:

Ian D :ohmy:

Social source share

Don't really see what all the fuss is about and not sure why people are slagging him when he's actually trumpeting the music of the legendry Bobby Bland and possibly bringing Bobby's music to a wider audience who will go on to buy Bobby's music and dig a little deeper. Hucknall's not everyone's cup of tea, but why slag him/his product when he's giving Bobby deserved exposure? Totally illogical and balmy to slag it and as Rod said, Hucknall'sl ove of soul music is well known and not a flash in the pan, whatever you think of Hucknall's take on "soul" music.

Rich

I second that, there's to many people slagging other people off on hear ,and the people doing the slagging probably haven't got any talent ,unlike myself :yes:

Social source share

Hey its not just Mick Hucknall who has a monopoly on ruining other artists songs, don't forget Motowns tendency to get their artists to do dodgy cover versions of standards and pop songs of the day on the albums in the hope of a career in Vegas......Supremes version of Yesterday or Unchained Melody anyone???

Though some great exceptions.Stevie's - We Can Work It Out and Light My Fire - both being superb

Maybe a new thead - best and worst covers done by motown??

Social source share

Guest Adam G

I second that, there's to many people slagging other people off on hear ,and the people doing the slagging probably haven't got any talent ,unlike myself :yes:

What ? so by your definition as I neither sing ,play an instrument ,paint ,write or dance or practice a Pugulistic art or anything much means I dont have a right to an opinion ?.

As a long time Bobby Bland fan I reckon I have as much right as anyone to pass a critical comment on Mick Hucknalls murderous re recording of Bobbys tunes

As an aside here are a few quotes by the Red headed one he sounds such a mild mannerd man... by the way the Wiggles have equalled his 50 m quote speakes volumes eh.

"I am one of the best singer-songwriters this country has produced. Ever. If people don't like me saying that, tough shit. People should deal with facts. You can't sell 50m albums without something."

"Tom Jones told me only a few singers have got the pipes and he's right. He has. Sinatra did. I have. I can still hit the high notes from when we started in 1985, but I've got the bass now, too."

"Gordon's done a brilliant job. Anyone who can forget what it was like under Major is a fool. But Labour need to be brave with the social and moral issues. Tony Blair's a friend. I've said to him, 'You should have waited on Iraq'. He listens."

Edited by Adam G
Social source share

Once upon a time I djd at the Band on the Wall - one of the goups on were the Frantic elevators (I remember one of the others being A certain ratio)

Obviously I played maily indi discs but slotted in the odd Northern record. I played the Instigations version of I dont wanna discuss it! Mick Hucknall came up to me and asked if it was Little Richard to which I said no and showed him the record. WE then had brief discussion about uptempo soul records which he said he had great admiration for! So if a musician of his standing wants to do something like that 30 years after who are we to judge.

Nobody complained about Mike McDonald doin the Motown album.

I am sure he will do a credible job.

I think Look at me now off the first Simply red album was based on an old Northern tune but cannot rember which

Social source share

Guest mel brat

....and it'll do till the much anticipated release of "Celine Dion Sings Linda Jones" comes along... :D

DON'T!!! I'll have nightmares for months!! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Adam, Mike,

I love you guys... but you gotta know when to Quit!

Anyone who buys Hucknall over the real deal by Bobby Bland (which is still readily available)...

...probably deserves it!

:D

After all... It's only Rock N' Roll!

:wicked:

Sean we are teessiders lad we dont know when to quit!.

I admit I may seem like I am over reacting but you of all people must know its like heracy to me and my ilk. At first I thought knaw its a joke but then no it is true. My missus is bewilderd because I keep muttering under my breath.

Right just off to listen to my Mario Biondi cd which is an italian soul jazz singer doing covers of some jazz standards..hang on Im in the middle of a contradiction!

Social source share

Adam, Mike,

I love you guys... but you gotta know when to Quit!

Sean

Sean - Adam's right - we are from Middlesbrough - we never know when to quit - why we havent even started - we still have noses to cut off yet :D

One thing this thread has done is it has flushed out the 'closet' Simply Red fans, the Man Utd fans, philistines, vulgarians, and opportunists, f**k 'em all :wicked:

Mike

Social source share

Sean - Adam's right - we are from Middlesbrough - we never know when to quit - why we havent even started - we still have noses to cut off yet :D

One thing this thread has done is it has flushed out the 'closet' Simply Red fans, the Man Utd fans, philistines, vulgarians, and opportunists, f**k 'em all :wicked:

Mike

Adam, Mike.

You really are the best!

Just love ya!

wink.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Adam, Mike.

You really are the best!

Just love ya!

wink.gif

Sean

Sean just be thankfull Fraser Dunn is holding his tounge!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert