Buddy Cantrell On Tuska

Hermann

Guest wrighty

the grittyness, rawness and primitiveness of some funk sides are precisely the factors that make a funk 45 desirable among funk collectors, whereas these same characteristics will immediately put off most of soul fans...another factor why it's sometimes difficult to introduce funk sounds to rare soul crowds (or the other way around... :thumbup: )

nice (accurate) post edu rolleyes.gif

Social source share

• Replies 147
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

a sweeping generalisation but I think the higher % of quality deep soul appears on thr flip of the gritty funky stuff than the more traditional northern stuff.

now i've set myself up for a whole set of examples that can prove me wrong....... whistling

Social source share

Hi, Marc!

R&B? huh.gif This is an out-and-out 60's funk record that will have most of the R&B afficionados i know running out the door laugh.giflaugh.gif

So obvioulsy you seem to know the wrong R&B afficionados...they still may get mixed up about waht is pure sh**te popcorn and real black american R&B.

Don't get me wrong, it's quite a good record in its genre and certainly folk may dance to it on, let's say, "progressive thinking" venues......but, at the end of the day, i think it'll take a whole new generation of soulies not necessarily educated on the "4 to the floor" school of dancing to make something like Buddy Cantrell a floorfiller.

Edu

I believe you have a point there. I must have played it about I don`t know maybe 20/30 times the last say 24 months in and mostly outside Berlin. Always almost an eruption on the dancefloor.

But I wouldn`t dream about playing that at any average Northern Soul event, especially not in the UK where most people I suppose indeed would run off the floor when hearing the first bars.

So what is that telling us g.gif ?

Marc

Social source share

...but then, the grittyness, rawness and primitiveness of some funk sides are precisely the factors that make a funk 45 desirable among funk collectors..

Ha, in fact that is what I search for and most of the time find in my Rare Soul (except for Sweet and Deep of course). So now I know..in reality I am a not a Soulie ... I am a Funk guy! Would I have known that earlier on it would have saved me a lot of anger I suppose LOL!

Thats it ..I am off to fryers now.

Social source share

So obvioulsy you seem to know the wrong R&B afficionados...they still may get mixed up about waht is pure sh**te popcorn and real black american R&B.

Marc

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, isn't it, Marc? huh.gif

I mean, at the end of the day, my city helds one of (if not THE) most successful R&B clubs in Europe wink.gif And yes, quite a bit of people at The Boiler like funk too, but more in its , let's say, "tittyshakin'" variety... yes.gif There are R&B collectors/Dj's like Mik Parry that know and like their funk...but then, he's got a funk musical background too; he knows wich tunes are OK for a R&B club and wich ones aren't... I guess you wouldn't play BC at The Hideaway, would you...? You surely agree that "Blues for the B's" and "Damp f'aint" are both funk sides, but with a very different sound...and BC is definitively on the second group.

Regarding the rawness and grittiness of soul, i'm all for it...if it comes together with some good -or, at least, half decent- production. Powerful and raw isn't equal to good - at least in my book of references. Rarety doesn't impress me, either :thumbsup:

Best!

Edu

Edited by tykarim
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

you really are a wanker.gif at times JT.

As you ask, personally think you stalked Levine, you really were obsessed with him at one point. And no one used to mention Butch more than you.

Now then, now then, Chalky. Easy tiger, just having a laugh, you of course don't mention Andy Dyson every other post you make, it was silly of me to say that.

"Used to mention (Butch)"? :thumbsup: As he's the only DJ I'd travel to hear play out, I'd say there are no other DJs worth mentioning in the same breath, no?

It's like Watchmen, he's the big blue demi god, the rest of them are just a bunch of over the hill mostly retired freaks in costumes schooling a few punks.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think Gareth has made some very good points on this thread. Thought provoking, as usual.

I've got a spare Barbara Hall "Big Man" B/W "Brocken Hearted"on Tuska that I would sell, if anyone is interested in a copy?

Clip of the deep side over at SirShambling: https://www.sirshambl...n%20Hearted.mp3

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Didn't know any of the records discussed in this thread I just played all the RefoSoul ones posted. Sorry guys, but they're average at best, most tunes are crap. Have you guys lost your senses for good singers, talent and quality productions on your search for the next unknown record? For example that Buddy Cantrell 45 one is off key, disjointed and all around shite.

Phew, now I got that off my chest I'm ready for you to tar and feather me...

Social source share

Didn't know any of the records discussed in this thread I just played all the RefoSoul ones posted. Sorry guys, but they're average at best, most tunes are crap. Have you guys lost your senses for good singers, talent and quality productions on your search for the next unknown record? For example that Buddy Cantrell 45 one is off key, disjointed and all around shite.

Agree 98,9%

Edited by Ralf Mehnert
Social source share

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, isn't it, Marc? :huh:

No its called irony

...yes, quite a bit of people at The Boiler like funk too, but more in its , let's say, "tittyshakin'" variety...

During the last couple of years most of the Berlin Funk DJ`s have discovered R&B in a big way. Very much the same on a wider scale happens worlwide. Just have a look at fryer-mantis to see what I mean. That "Tittyshaking" section of R&B you refer to is most of the time very much exactly what I dislike...shite white 50ts and early 6ts teen or instrumental music. It ruined what was a healthy R&B scene at the start . IMO

Rarety doesn't impress me, either

Me neither

Social source share

...I'd say there are no other DJs worth mentioning in the same breath, no? It's like Watchmen, he's the big blue demi god, the rest of them are just a bunch of over the hill mostly retired freaks in costumes schooling a few punks.

Must be a close one, eh ?

Beside that you are right with one or two exceptions I can think of.

Social source share

No its called irony

During the last couple of years most of the Berlin Funk DJ`s have discovered R&B in a big way. Very much the same on a wider scale happens worlwide. Just have a look at fryer-mantis to see what I mean. That "Tittyshaking" section of R&B you refer to is most of the time very much exactly what I dislike...shite white 50ts and early 6ts teen or instrumental music. It ruined what was a healthy R&B scene at the start . IMO

Me neither

No, it's not irony, it's called impelling need of wanting to be right :D:thumbsup:

I don't know what you call a "healthy R&B scene"; but it's certainly not based in sounds as BC... as fabulous as you think it may be, that doesn't turn it into R&B :thumbup:

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Quite amused by all your comments and different opinions, folks.

May I remind you that I am still in need of a copy!

To all those ones owning a copy of Buddy but do not value it as high as I do PLEASE send me your offer, pm or email to hermann_jahn @ yahoo.com - thanks!

Social source share

No, it's not irony, it's called impelling need of wanting to be right rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I don't know what you call a "healthy R&B scene"; but it's certainly not based in sounds as BC... as fabulous as you think it may be, that doesn't turn it into R&B g.gif

Best!

Edu

Now I understand all your comments...you didn`t get my point of view right at all.

Its not BC that I classified as "r&b tinged funky etc etc"...it was and is Barbara Hall. Would you only have read more carefully we could have saved us this conversation. Still nice to have had a talk with you as always.

Healthy the R&B scene was in its start...IMO...which is way over six years ago which is The Boilers age. So you may indeed not know what I mean.

Don`t have an impelling need of wanting to be right, its just my opinion that I am free to have.

You are free to have and defend yours as well Edu...

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Now I understand all your comments...you didn`t get my point of view right at all.

Its not BC that I classified as "r&b tinged funky etc etc"...it was and is Barbara Hall. Would you only have read more carefully we could have saved us this conversation. Still nice to have had a talk with you as always.

Healthy the R&B scene was in its start...IMO...which is way over six years ago which is The Boilers age. So you may indeed not know what I mean.

Don`t have an impelling need of wanting to be right, its just my opinion that I am free to have.

You are free to have and defend yours as well Edu...

Understood, as i really couldn't believe you were classing BC as R&B :g:

However, i hope you're not implying with your comment above that i started listening to R&B when the Boiler started, do you? :huh:

It's perfectly fine to have opinions of one's own, but i don't understand the need to prove in every message that one knows better, more and before than anybody else. Because, Marc, there's always people out there that REALLY know better, more and before than you, me or 99,9 % of people writting regularly on Soul-source...but, alas, they don't need to shout their knowledge around at every minute...at least, not in such an arrogant manner as you usually do. Being humble is the first step for being wise.

Sorry if i'm being a bit harsh here, but that's my sincere opinion on the matter. Please re-read some of your posts on this topic; giving the "right for being right" to people that certainly know their onions too or talking about other countries clubs without having being there in the first place and you'll see (or not :yes:) what i mean. You certainly know about soul music and you have really nice collection to back that knowledge...why not be generous with what you know, instead of make people feel unconfortable about it? I just don't get it. :no:

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Understood, as i really couldn't believe you were classing BC as R&B thumbsup.gif

However, i hope you're not implying with your comment above that i started listening to R&B when the Boiler started, do you? huh.gif

It's perfectly fine to have opinions of one's own, but i don't understand the need to prove in every message that one knows better, more and before than anybody else. Because, Marc, there's always people out there that REALLY know better, more and before than you, me or 99,9 % of people writting regularly on Soul-source...but, alas, they don't need to shout their knowledge around at every minute...at least, not in such an arrogant manner as you usually do. Being humble is the first step for being wise.

Sorry if i'm being a bit harsh here, but that's my sincere opinion on the matter. Please re-read some of your posts on this topic; giving the "right for being right" to people that certainly know their onions too or talking about other countries clubs without having being there in the first place and you'll see (or not rolleyes.gif) what i mean. You certainly know about soul music and you have really nice collection to back that knowledge...why not be generous with what you know, instead of make people feel unconfortable about it? I just don't get it. no.gif

Best!

Edu

Its not about trying to proove that one knows better. Not at all. This thread which was a wants thread originally turned into (as usual) a thread "Its shite I don`t like it / Its great I like it" with no need at all.

So after it had turned that way and as I personally like the record in question very much I backed up the "I like it" party and expressed that opinion of mine. The only one left trying to go on and trying to proove that his opinion is the only right one now in fact is you.

"The Boiler is one of the best R&B clubs in Europe" is only one of your sentences which goes to show who out of the two of us seems to be slightly arrogant, don`t you think so ? Try to be a bit more humble yourself and we will have achieved a lot my friend.

As I fear we already bored most on here I will stop now contributing to this thread, if you feel the need to continue this discussion we can do so next time you`re in Berlin and your time permitts or in Lavarone.

Social source share

Its not about trying to proove that one knows better. Not at all. This thread which was a wants thread originally turned into (as usual) a thread "Its shite I don`t like it / Its great I like it" with no need at all.

So after it had turned that way and as I personally like the record in question very much I backed up the "I like it" party and expressed that opinion of mine. The only one left trying to go on and trying to proove that his opinion is the only right one now in fact is you.

"The Boiler is one of the best R&B clubs in Europe" is only one of your sentences which goes to show who out of the two of us seems to be slightly arrogant, don`t you think so ? Try to be a bit more humble yourself and we will have achieved a lot my friend.

As I fear we already bored most on here I will stop now contributing to this thread, if you feel the need to continue this discussion we can do so next time you`re in Berlin and your time permitts or in Lavarone.

Fair enough.

Just a little last word to tell anybody who doesn't know the above mentioned club that i'm not connected with it at all, appart from Djing there every one/two years. If anybody that -actually- has been there wants to give his/her sincere and not locally biased :thumbsup: opinion about it feel free to do so.

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Re the Tuska logo i have found it to be a very interesting with many various styles of black music,of course different strokes for different folks.... for me Richard Marks is a truly fabulous vocalist and talentedsession and studio man the "did you ever lose something " is a 45 i've been plugging for 10 years or so ,it will never be a niter classic but is gaining respect in collecting circles - not forgetting the great funk flip.Like ian points out the "i'm your man" is excellent,the funky 4 corners came out in europe with a picture sleeve (will dig it out ).The jimmy tigg 45 is a typical southern soul sound so won't appeal to most on here anyways....barbara hall's are excellent 45's ..over the years managed to pick em all up from the listing apart from the santa claus 45 which i've never heard ( anyone ever heard it ?) and of course the missing links but maybe one of em gets played under the white paper.. thing is this label has it's own sound and sounds like no other ,like megatone etc does.

Will have to get my memory working but some years ago i gave some info to a guy who came visit me from states who is prolific at finding people,after months and months of graft the relevant contacts were made a very elderly and poorly person was spoken to about the past.This family was insulated like tony accardo by way of fate not choice ,from the info passed on to me by the guy there was very little if no interest in what had happened in the past ! although some connections yielded more than others ie copies of all titles including missing numbers and albums are there.Never the less offers of c/ d compilations,publicity of achiements you name it ,even money (which was certainly needed) could not open any doors.one can only presume that the whole situation is lost forever -will try write the full story up at some stage.

Social source share

it out ).The jimmy tigg 45 is a typical southern soul sound so won't appeal to most on here anyways....

I don't really like southern soul but I thought the jimmy tig record just on ebay was really nice (but I wouldn't pay $700 for it, I did have a much lower snipe on it). It doesn't sound like typical southern soul to me as it's not a deep ballad and it's not uptempo either like arthur conley sweet soul music, it fits into the nice midtempo with group side to be appealing to me.

I also really like that Jimmy Tig and the Rounders 45, that record is great too, I previously always thought Jimmy Tig was from Memphis for some reason, I guess I was wrong.

Social source share

Really interesting story Andy regarding Tuska contacts....very mysterious label it would seem. Another Georgia label which fascinates me is Jar-Val. Does anyone know of any really good yet particularly rare numbers on that imprint? For what its worth Richard Marks i heard for the first time at Kings Hall the other week and thought it was superb. Would like to get more listens to it.

Social source share

...very mysterious label it would seem. Another Georgia label which fascinates me is Jar-Val. Does anyone know of any really good yet particularly rare numbers on that imprint?

Jar-Val discog (off georgiasoul.com)

001 Matt & Robert "The Soul Cousins" - Run For Cover / Pride and Joy

002 The Golden Stars of Toomsboro - Until I Get In Glory / My Work Will Be Done

003 Jimmy Lee Bryant - I Want To Hold You / My Little Girl

004 Matt Brown - Everyday / Baby I'm A Want You

005 The Middle-Tone Gospel Singers - We Belong To Jesus / Jesus Will Wash Away Your Sins

006 Matt Brown - Thank You Baby / Sweet Thing

007 Nancy Butts - Only One Love / Letter Full of Tears

008 The Rev E.J. Smith & the Gospel Choir of the Cutliff Grove Baptist Church - Lord I've Tried / The Lord Is Blessing Me

009 Gary Clements - I Wish It Was Me / Let Me Be Your Santa Claus

013 Middletone Gospel Singers - This Thing I Get Came Down From Heaven / My God, He Is On the Throne

013 The Silveraires Monticello and Eatonton GA - Up That Mountain / Got To Be Born Again

014 Nancy Butts - Too Many Yesterdays / I Can't Love But One Man At A Time

015 Jimmy Braswell - This Time It's Got To Be For Real

016 Ronnie Miller - Listen To the Music / I Owe You Love

017 Nancy Butts - I've Been Blind Too Long / I've Been Blind Too Long

006 and 015 I can personally recommend (both not too rare though as that was your initial question

Social source share

Thanks Marc, i'm aware of both Matt Brown recordings and own 'Everyday', but not the Jimmy Braswell. Is it similar to his Gene tracks? I'd seen this listing before from Georgia Soul.....would be interested to know what the Jimmy Lee Bryant is like yes.gif

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Jimmy Braswell on Jar-Val is a great record: the ballad side is smoother than the Gene/King sides but still of very high quality, and the uptempo flip is pumping Southern Soul which is eminently playable. Used to be a cheap quantity item at Anglo American, Soul Bowl etc. back in the mists of time, so shouldn't be too difficult to turn up, although the price is rising.

Some good points raised throughout the topic and some great information from Brian, Andy & Phil in amongst all the other stuff.

Social source share

Re the Tuska logo i have found it to be a very interesting with many various styles of black music,of course different strokes for different folks.... for me Richard Marks is a truly fabulous vocalist and talentedsession and studio man the "did you ever lose something " is a 45 i've been plugging for 10 years or so ,it will never be a niter classic but is gaining respect in collecting circles - not forgetting the great funk flip.Like ian points out the "i'm your man" is excellent,the funky 4 corners came out in europe with a picture sleeve (will dig it out ).The jimmy tigg 45 is a typical southern soul sound so won't appeal to most on here anyways....barbara hall's are excellent 45's ..over the years managed to pick em all up from the listing apart from the santa claus 45 which i've never heard ( anyone ever heard it ?) and of course the missing links but maybe one of em gets played under the white paper.. thing is this label has it's own sound and sounds like no other ,like megatone etc does.

Will have to get my memory working but some years ago i gave some info to a guy who came visit me from states who is prolific at finding people,after months and months of graft the relevant contacts were made a very elderly and poorly person was spoken to about the past.This family was insulated like tony accardo by way of fate not choice ,from the info passed on to me by the guy there was very little if no interest in what had happened in the past ! although some connections yielded more than others ie copies of all titles including missing numbers and albums are there.Never the less offers of c/ d compilations,publicity of achiements you name it ,even money (which was certainly needed) could not open any doors.one can only presume that the whole situation is lost forever -will try write the full story up at some stage.

HI ANDY THE ERIC TIG THAT YOU'VE SPIN IN THE PAST IS mRDJ/HEAVEN??? AN OLD JASON PERMULTER DISCOVERY IS THE TRUE????

SOMEONE CAN MAKE A CLIP OF RICHARD MARKS "did you ever lose something " PLEEEEASE!!!

Social source share

Jar-Val discog (off georgiasoul.com)

001 Matt & Robert "The Soul Cousins" - Run For Cover / Pride and Joy

002 The Golden Stars of Toomsboro - Until I Get In Glory / My Work Will Be Done

003 Jimmy Lee Bryant - I Want To Hold You / My Little Girl

004 Matt Brown - Everyday / Baby I'm A Want You

005 The Middle-Tone Gospel Singers - We Belong To Jesus / Jesus Will Wash Away Your Sins

006 Matt Brown - Thank You Baby / Sweet Thing

007 Nancy Butts - Only One Love / Letter Full of Tears

008 The Rev E.J. Smith & the Gospel Choir of the Cutliff Grove Baptist Church - Lord I've Tried / The Lord Is Blessing Me

009 Gary Clements - I Wish It Was Me / Let Me Be Your Santa Claus

013 Middletone Gospel Singers - This Thing I Get Came Down From Heaven / My God, He Is On the Throne

013 The Silveraires Monticello and Eatonton GA - Up That Mountain / Got To Be Born Again

014 Nancy Butts - Too Many Yesterdays / I Can't Love But One Man At A Time

015 Jimmy Braswell - This Time It's Got To Be For Real

016 Ronnie Miller - Listen To the Music / I Owe You Love

017 Nancy Butts - I've Been Blind Too Long / I've Been Blind Too Long

006 and 015 I can personally recommend (both not too rare though as that was your initial question

016 Ronnie Miller "I Owe You Love" is a STUNNING Soul 45.

One of the most beautiful ballads around (IMO).

Sean

Social source share

HI ANDY THE ERIC TIG THAT YOU'VE SPIN IN THE PAST IS mRDJ/HEAVEN??? AN OLD JASON PERMULTER DISCOVERY IS THE TRUE????

SOMEONE CAN MAKE A CLIP OF RICHARD MARKS "did you ever lose something " PLEEEEASE!!!

Re the eric tig - mr dj / heaven i had a root around and found a couple of copies of it , feel sure i found these years ago - although you may be right jason may have discovered this (jason wasn't the connection guy on the tuska 45's but he has and does find me great records for sure ) maybe he can remember ? this 45 is a muscle shoals recording released on a south carolinas logo and is in the kiddie soul style in vogue at the moment with the passing of m.jackson- i don't remember ever playing this out as it isn't quite strong enough,funnily enough it sounds better than i remember it.

I agree bob the - tig + rounders 45 is a pleasant 45 to own.

the grace gospel singers apparently released a album(s) on the tuska logo,also there is other albums ( has anyone ever seen them ?) this logo i'm sure has a larger release output than we could ever have imagined.the owner was black and i'm sure dead now taking the secrets with him and leaving the records in a tiny no go neighberhood just outside atlanta !

Social source share

many thanks Andy for explanation...eric tig can be hear(both sides) on the jason permulter(AS USUAL ALL FROM CAROLINA) podcast of 2008...in the radio section page 3 of Fryer-mantis.co.uk ....YES A VERY NICE PRODUCTION...not in my style...(prefer Patrick Gammon) but a good 45 for sure...sorry Andy you have listen also his (ERIC TIG) "THREAT HER RIGHT" OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS..???

STILL WAITING TO HEAR RICHARD MARKS....

HOWEVER GREAT RECORD ON THIS POST...

P.S. FOR Marc and Edu...hope that discussion can close up friendly in Lavarone...or in a fantastic 45 :thumbup: for the Dancefloor...sadly we've (with Simone Ceccarelli, Stefano Oggiano Barbara Grassi and me at the deck) a new soul eve in italy (Ancona at l'Ascensore every last saturday of the month) and the first one on the 31 october...so couldn't come in Lavarone :thumbup:

my Best Alfredo

Social source share

Re the eric tig - mr dj / heaven i had a root around and found a couple of copies of it , feel sure i found these years ago - although you may be right jason may have discovered this (jason wasn't the connection guy on the tuska 45's but he has and does find me great records for sure ) maybe he can remember ? this 45 is a muscle shoals recording released on a south carolinas logo and is in the kiddie soul style in vogue at the moment with the passing of m.jackson- i don't remember ever playing this out as it isn't quite strong enough,funnily enough it sounds better than i remember it.

I agree bob the - tig + rounders 45 is a pleasant 45 to own.

the grace gospel singers apparently released a album(s) on the tuska logo,also there is other albums ( has anyone ever seen them ?) this logo i'm sure has a larger release output than we could ever have imagined.the owner was black and i'm sure dead now taking the secrets with him and leaving the records in a tiny no go neighberhood just outside atlanta !

eric tig has another kiddie soul record on hi (again, with the whole muscle shoals thing, maybe jimmy was memphis???).

Social source share

Sean

Ronnie Miller is also available on Polydor. Deejay copies just featuring the ballad are around at very reasonable prices.

Nancy Butts' "One Man At A Time" is also great seventies deep soul.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Sean

this is really nice, the one thing that takes away from the mellow mood is the generic hi sounding horns, especially when they kick in at the chorus

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

( if it's ok for me to use chalky's name ...ah ..)

As long as you don't do it more often than Mr Forrest posts up Butch's playlist in the wants section :thumbsup:

x

Social source share

As long as you don't do it more often than Mr Forrest posts up Butch's playlist in the wants section shades.gif

x

you will struggle to find one single post from me in wants at all.

Talking about wants, its been a while since you last posted somebody elses play in wants offering top end dollar "immediate" cash...nth in Wrighty`s playbox for you lately or is it just the economic crisis affecting you I wonder shades.gif ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert