Dancers, Dj's And Quirks Of The Dancefloor

On another thread about defining what Northern soul is (yawn) I rightly or wrongly posted this.

... we all know what northern soul is without being snobby... Its what gets played and danced to at a northern soul night. The definition only gets difficult when you take it out of that context. If CC's - Funky Fever gets played at a northern do - and it gets danced to - its a northern soul record - if not, its not northen, simple as!

On an aside - What I think is infiniately more interesting than trying to decide which record is NS and which Isnt by just its sound - is the complex communication, interaction and agreement that must occur on what makes a NS record between the Dj and the Dancer on the dancefloor.

It got me thinking about that weird communication that happens between a Dj and a dancer at Northern Do's...

How dancefloor etiquette communicates so much about our approval of certain tracks. How the soul clap is used to signal oneness and all that kinda stuff... but more importantly how a new track is created by a kind of wordless conversation by the Dj that spins it and the dancers that approve it.

I always chuckle at the way the dancefloor clears in between tracks, at some venues everybody steps off the dancefloor when the DJ speaks and then rejoins only if they aprove of the next track. It must make the DJ really nervous :rolleyes:

What are the strange little dancefloor quirks that we have all noticed whilst out and about?

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

one thing that used to really p*ss me off,was with a full dance floor dj,s after the record finished start to give a sermon before playing the next sound whist dancers mop their brow,scratch their nose turn around,put hands on hips as though to say f**kin get on with it,and by the time they do,half of the dancers have left the floor,or the buzz as passed and the dj as missed the moment,some djs just dont get it,there more intrested in hearing their own voices..than reading the floor..not dissing all djs there are of course many exellent spinners.just a personal gripe.

Social source share

one thing that used to really p*ss me off,was with a full dance floor dj,s after the record finished start to give a sermon before playing the next sound whist dancers mop their brow,scratch their nose turn around,put hands on hips as though to say f**kin get on with it,and by the time they do,half of the dancers have left the floor,or the buzz as passed and the dj as missed the moment,some djs just dont get it,there more intrested in hearing their own voices..than reading the floor..not dissing all djs there are of course many exellent spinners.just a personal gripe.

Well said that man

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Funny that whole talking between records thing...I think the later generations learned their lesson from this...its not good to spoil a vibe by waffling sh!t for ages between records...think thats why mixing came about...DJs could keep a mood going through mixing records in...when I first ever went to a Northern night found it strange when you all stopped and clapped after every record...and the DJ was chatting away about the next tune...but I admit it was a NICE sort of strange...so I think its fine to chat...so long as it is only to inform of the next tune...noone wants a Smashie and Nicie :lol:

Social source share

Guest MattB

I get annoyed when a DJ announces every tune, i like a few back to back, even time for a quick clap if a records gone down really well but a dj is a disc jockey, not a commentator. Sounds a bit amateur from time to time. Really like hearing a DJ who is funny, you know, lighthearted, maybe says i picked this up for a 5er when its a big record or you know, something similar.

Talking in between records does seem to be a northern thing, alot of other do's just do back to back all night.

Social source share

I can remember a time when people didn't applaud the records.

when it started to happen I wasn't too sure if I liked it or not.

I think the energetic presentation of a record, soul sam style for example, is a vital component of this scene,

yet another thing that sets it apart from the rest.

some djs would be almost unintelligible to me (ginger taylor?)

others would be quite articulate & loquacious (nev wherry & tony clayton?).

Social source share

What about dancing? I always think its rude to start spinning at your first time at a new venue :lol: and if its my first time there im trying to keep my line tight so I didnt cause offence.

In general, I try to glide and slide... eyes front, legs straight, from the heel, occasional hand flourish or clap cool.gif Where as some people literally run and prance about the whole length of the floor :D also couples dancing together - I think it looks a bit odd and im always slightly dissaproving :lol: .

are there certain things that people think are no, no's??

Edited by jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Guest MattB

That is my BIGGEST hate, people who dance and hold hands, man does it annoy me, especially when i really want a big of space and people clog up the floor dancing like its a musical.

It also gets me at some events when people dance like its a dance club and point at you because you glide and slide.

I know what you mean about keeping in your space at a new place, i think it's just good etiquette, nice to earn a spot on the floor after a few visits.

Social source share

another real niggle,is when you,ve got your spot,nicely talced,and worn in just how you like it and you,ve been dancing on it all night,then some clown,when passing spills his or her beer,coke or whatever on it ,and its just a sticky mess,ruined..so you move somewhere else,and the sticky stuffs all under your shoes..must be one of the most frustrating things known to man wanting to dance but cant slide.. :no::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest MattB

No drinks on the dancefloor fullstop. Why do they do it? Drink at the bar, at your table, dance on the floor... Without a drink!

Social source share

No drinks on the dancefloor fullstop. Why do they do it? Drink at the bar, at your table, dance on the floor... Without a drink!

one of the most stupidest ones was a few years back went to a do in donnie with the late tony banks,while he was doing his spot this comedian on the dance floor does a spin with a bottle of bud in his gob and of course whilst he,s spinning the bottle shot out hit another bloke dancing on the back of the head,beer spewed all over the maple floor,nearly caused a riot.. :lol: (lets start a petition,anybody caught drinking on the floor,should be evicted,forthwith) :lol:

Social source share

What about dancing? I always think its rude to start spinning at your first time at a new venue :lol: and if its my first time there im trying to keep my line tight so I didnt cause offence.

In general, I try to glide and slide... eyes front, legs straight, from the heel, occasional hand flourish or clap cool.gif Where as some people literally run and prance about the whole length of the floor :no: also couples dancing together - I think it looks a bit odd and im always slightly dissaproving :no: .

are there certain things that people think are no, no's??

no way - really dancing etiquette?.. this is a new one on me. I thought you just expressed yourselves how ever you saw fit. One thing that annoys me is people who watch and point at people when they're dancing, OR laugh at people's dancing style. I hate that, it's so rude. Just do what you feel!.. :lol:

Staff at venue's are bad for this, especially when they've never seen a northern soul night. I told off some young bar staff at Radcliffe Civic for watching, laughing and pointign at people who were dancing.

Jayne.x

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest Beeks

one of the most stupidest ones was a few years back went to a do in donnie with the late tony banks,while he was doing his spot this comedian on the dance floor does a spin with a bottle of bud in his gob and of course whilst he,s spinning the bottle shot out hit another bloke dancing on the back of the head,beer spewed all over the maple floor,nearly caused a riot.. :no: (lets start a petition,anybody caught drinking on the floor,should be evicted,forthwith) :lol:

AHAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry id have pissed myself if id have seen that :lol:

Social source share

Exactly!!! I hate people that do that :D it really pees me off!! :lol: And if i see anyone doing it, well they best watch out :no: Pete Robinson (Marrs Bar) would vouch for that laugh.gif Also excessive use of talc, especially when their style of dance as no call for it at all :shhh: and if they need to use talc, wish they didn't put it in the middle of the dancefloor. :no: And lastly, dancers that do spins, backdrops etc.......it can be very off putting, when you do it to close to other dancers. :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest MattB

I find it quite funny when people leave their talc on the side, key word being their and someone will walk up and sprinkle some, so rude!

Also when people dance nearer to a talcd area and get into a persons space then become excessively acrobatic.

Staff in venues can really ruin the feel of a night with their lack of understanding for it, i've often had the p*ss taken when chavs work at the bar at a working mans club and think the way i dance is comedic.

Social source share

And lastly, dancers that do spins, backdrops etc.......it can be very off putting, when you do it to close to other dancers. :lol:

I dont mind spins, as sometimes they feel right and you naturally spin as you dance, I hate high kicks and back drops... might have been ok when you were 16 and 9 stone - but at 17 stone aged 50 thier just fookin dangerous! and most of the time they're little to do with the music and folks get them completely out of time. So many people backdrop and kick but cant keep a basic rythm with their feet. Just kinda looks, uncooth and common :lol:

On another note I love sitting back and watching the differnces between men and women dancing :no: The NS scene is the only scene I know where male dancers out number female dancers most of the time! and thier is so much differnce two completely different ways of moving.

Social source share

i can't stand people who throw loads of talc on the floor ...shuffle about for a minute and then go and dance somewhere else ....grrrrrrr :no::lol:

better to have a second pair of shoes in yer bag for sticky or slippy floors :lol: ... many floors do not even need talc, just seems to be a habit?

pete n' susan...xx

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I'm not a lover of talc, it can be a nightmare especially when some people use it indiscriminently irrespective of the condition of the floor, we had one girl last year break her arm because the floor was so slippy, at one night a visiting UK DJ (I use the term lightly) decided to squirt the damn stuff all around him out of his little bottle, do a spin & then repeat it again & again, I put it down to either a nervous tick or being a prat.

KTF

Baz

i can't stand people who throw loads of talc on the floor ...shuffle about for a minute and then go and dance somewhere else ....grrrrrrr :lol::ohmy:

better to have a second pair of shoes in yer bag for sticky or slippy floors :thumbsup: ... many floors do not even need talc, just seems to be a habit?

pete n' susan...xx

Social source share

things aint changed that much really

Social source share

:lol: I don't mind talc being used in moderation - but why do some tossers want to walk around sprinkling it liberally from waist height? :ohmy: . Ruins the floor for everyone, puts all those blurred spots on any photo's, and ends up coating the decks.

Just put a bit down at the edge of the floor and get on with some dancing! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kev such

A heartfelt plea from 3 ladies who attended the last Wheel Sunday session. If you are planning to dance very energetically, please use an effective deodorant. :unsure: or don't dance near us !!

OOPS!!! I was led to believe that the smell us chaps emulate was supposed to be an attraction to the ladies. Thats probably where i was going wrong for years and i bet Karens sense of smell must be shot.

Social source share

Guest kev such

:lol: I don't mind talc being used in moderation - but why do some tossers want to walk around sprinkling it liberally from waist height? :D . Ruins the floor for everyone, puts all those blurred spots on any photo's, and ends up coating the decks.

Just put a bit down at the edge of the floor and get on with some dancing! :unsure:

And all the tunes in your box, when you open the box up the next time you do a spot it looks like the Mets forensic team have been in. :P

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest stash313

I dont mind spins, as sometimes they feel right and you naturally spin as you dance, I hate high kicks and back drops... might have been ok when you were 16 and 9 stone - but at 17 stone aged 50 thier just fookin dangerous!

:unsure::D:lol:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

i've often had the p*ss taken when chavs work at the bar at a working mans club and think the way i dance is comedic.

I think in this social situation you could be forgiven for feeling a little superior :unsure:

Social source share

Guest evissa

A heartfelt plea from 3 ladies who attended the last Wheel Sunday session. If you are planning to dance very energetically, please use an effective deodorant. :unsure: or don't dance near us !!

I was there too ... some guy who was bouncing around nearly cleared the floor, he was so pongy.

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

The blurred spots on the photos are clearly ghostly orbs! :unsure:

:lol: I don't mind talc being used in moderation - but why do some tossers want to walk around sprinkling it liberally from waist height? :D . Ruins the floor for everyone, puts all those blurred spots on any photo's,
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

dancefloor etiquette.....strange concept?.....do whatcha wanna do :P .....even stranger concept...those who dance how they think you should.....It's a night out...ain't it?

Social source share

Guest helsbob

dancefloor etiquette.....strange concept?.....do whatcha wanna do tongue.gif .....even stranger concept...those who dance how they think you should.....It's a night out...ain't it?

Hooray for Mr Darcy. For me soul do's are for dancing and letting yourself go, to me it doesn't matter what you look like it's how it makes you feel. Increasingly though i've found that people stand around the dance floor and often do look like they are taking the piss. live and let live, sweat, slide hop flip drop whatever. I love watching different styles and takes to a tune - if we all danced the same it would be like watching 'antz'. :P

Social source share

no way - really dancing etiquette?.. this is a new one on me. I thought you just expressed yourselves how ever you saw fit. One thing that annoys me is people who watch and point at people when they're dancing, OR laugh at people's dancing style. I hate that, it's so rude. Just do what you feel!.. :P

Staff at venue's are bad for this, especially when they've never seen a northern soul night. I told off some young bar staff at Radcliffe Civic for watching, laughing and pointign at people who were dancing.

Jayne.x

Jayne.x

Jayne the bar staff at our regular night at the robin hood summer bar dance behind the bar and wear Northern soul bowling shirts and some of them are teenagers they love working the function

hence billy the dancing barman on youtube thumbsup.gif

they also love to watch the dancers

Social source share

I dont mind spins, as sometimes they feel right and you naturally spin as you dance, I hate high kicks and back drops... might have been ok when you were 16 and 9 stone - but at 17 stone aged 50 thier just fookin dangerous! and most of the time they're little to do with the music and folks get them completely out of time. So many people backdrop and kick but cant keep a basic rythm with their feet. Just kinda looks, uncooth and common :P

Save your acrobatics for the musical breaks in the records dont do them all the way through it looks naff and doesnt fit in with the rythmn

eg Coming to your rescue has some great ones where spins and floorwork fit in nicely...like in the olden days!!!LOL wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I get annoyed when a DJ announces every tune, i like a few back to back, even time for a quick clap if a records gone down really well but a dj is a disc jockey, not a commentator. Sounds a bit amateur from time to time. Really like hearing a DJ who is funny, you know, lighthearted, maybe says i picked this up for a 5er when its a big record or you know, something similar.

Talking in between records does seem to be a northern thing, alot of other do's just do back to back all night.

Is it just me or can you never understand what a lot of DJs are saying anyway? :lol::D

Exactly!!! I hate people that do that it really pees me off!! :P And if i see anyone doing it, well they best watch out :lol: Pete Robinson (Marrs Bar) would vouch for that :( Also excessive use of talc, especially when their style of dance as no call for it at all and if they need to use talc, wish they didn't put it in the middle of the dancefloor. And lastly, dancers that do spins, backdrops etc.......it can be very off putting, when you do it to close to other dancers. whistling.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

:yes: Theres some fab dancers out there but it's annoying when the dancefloor is packed and people carry on with their spins & backdrops. Some girl nearly took my eye out at Stoke! :huh::(

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

That too Mandy! Apparantly though when you take photos, ghosts and paranormal activity which is unseen to the human eye often comes up in photos!!! Scarey or what - it's not just people we are sharing the dancefloor with but ghosts!!!!! :P

Carrie

I always thought it was sweat or condensation! laugh.gif

Social source share

Could never understand the gap thing. It's not that hard to bring the level down a bit and talk over the end of a record then bring the next one in so the music doesn't stop. Anything else and it's open season for musical chairs. If it's some kind of big announcement then yeah, a gap is maybe the best thing, but not every time! :no:

Social source share

I like it when a dj gives it some on the mic, I usually go abit overboard on the mic (swearwords) :D or give it 'you thought that was good wait till you hear this stormer' etc, then introduce the record. Some people might not like this but it creates atmosphere. I remember I had a thing about using the mic I never used to like it but if you can introduce the next record(not every record) and build it so everyone is anticipating what tune your going to play next the floor usually stays full and the atmosphere buzzing, that is of course as the record you play next is the right one to play at that time. Nothing worse for me than a boring dj who looks like he doesn't really want to be there or someone who just waffles on about the label, year, title, artist etc, BORING!. I cant help it when i'm behind the decks, the music just takes over, with a little help from some alcohol :D

Social source share

That too Mandy! Apparantly though when you take photos, ghosts and paranormal activity which is unseen to the human eye often comes up in photos!!! Scarey or what - it's not just people we are sharing the dancefloor with but ghosts!!!!! :lol:

Oh no! more ghost dancers to dodge as well as real dancers :lol:

Mand

Social source share

At least we don't have to worry about being burnt by cigarrettes on the dance floor anymore... however the acrobatics are a bit lethal at times, and a mate of mine got a right slap across the face by an over enthusiastic spinner at Kings Hall, it knocked her off her feet. ( hehe :lol: ) oh and handbaggers high heels hurt like hell when you get stamped on by one not to mention tripping over the bloody handbag !

Social source share

I hate it when your just sitting then there lost in a tune loving it and some pissed twat comes up and says cheer up could be worse or just talks boll**ks spoiling the tune. I love getting up the same as the next man or woman but equally sitting back on your own taking in the tune is just as good

Kieran

Social source share

:huh: Good topic this...Rugbysoulgirl.. im Sorry to say that im sometimes to blame for SPINNIN, alot of the time, Even when the floor is full.... i do try not to get in everyones way, but Sometimes the Music just takes me to another place..( if you know what i mean) weve all been there... I do try to do my stuff when a space appears, but dont like to go mad all the time when the floor is say nearly empty, as dont want to think im showing off.... where to draw the line ?? as sometimes im on the floor for 3 hrs...ha.... Lucky for me people know i need room, ha.. and some give me space ... thanks to you all, you know who you are..!! MOANS if any, for me would be.....djs who dont play for the crowd... and keep it movin along.. AND people who just stand around when there is,nt that much space, gettin in the way..... not good... And last one, When they nick your chair after you,ve been dancing , etc....ha... And by that i mean , they get there 3hrs late, and just take it, while you,re on the floor...um!!!!!!!!!! all the best, to all who know me, martyn.(leic best dancer)
Social source share

Guest kev such

For me soul do's are for dancing and letting yourself go, to me it doesn't matter what you look like it's how it makes you feel. Increasingly though i've found that people stand around the dance floor and often do look like they are taking the piss. live and let live, sweat, slide hop flip drop whatever. I love watching different styles and takes to a tune - if we all danced the same it would be like watching 'antz'. :(

Here Here. :(

Social source share

For me soul do's are for dancing and letting yourself go, to me it doesn't matter what you look like it's how it makes you feel. Increasingly though i've found that people stand around the dance floor and often do look like they are taking the piss. live and let live, sweat, slide hop flip drop whatever. I love watching different styles and takes to a tune - if we all danced the same it would be like watching 'antz'. :lol:

Here Here. :D

Just dont let yerself go in my direction :lol::lol::D:lol:

Social source share

I HATE IT WHEN YOU GET YOUR TOILET VISIT IN SYNC WITH A WEIRDO, OR SOMEONE BORING.THEN YOU END UP BESSY MATES,AND GO TO THE END OF THE COUNTRY TO MEET UP COS THEY TOLD YOU ABOUT A GREAT LITTLE PLACE,AND WHEN YOU GET THERE ITS NOT GOOD.

THEN YOU GET IN SYNC WITH SOME OTHER "TOILET" DORK , AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU'VE BEEN DOIN THIS 30 YEARS.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

at our soul nights i usually do the sound checks and play a few records before any one comes, at the last one i was messing around playing some stuff when about 7.10 a guy came in put his bag down and started dancing :lol: he really put me off, i promply called tracie on the mic and said "could you take that guy to the bar and buy him a pint" off they went and i thought to myself thank f**k for that, luckily Dr pickles then arrived i could get from there :lol::D

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I admit i don't dance a lot when i am out and prefer hearing the track.

But because of my age i can assure you when i go to dance i will get looked at and maybe they will talk to there friend next to them and say look at that prick dancing and ok i am not the world's best and neither do i want to be but i just dance to the song and forget about anyone else cause really i have no time for people who pick on someone else (especially if they don't know them)

as for DJing i hope that DJ's do annouce only the song and artist so that we can write it down if we like it. saves me a job of going to a dj asking what he/she played cause i have been out and heard loads of new songs i want to own so i write them down and try and get them on vinyl or download and CD might be an idea first if i can't get vinyl so quick.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert