Broken Records

cloth ears

• Replies 56
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have you ever broken an expensive bit of vinyl?

I have certainly had my share of sleepless nights going over and over how it happened, so it wouldnt happen again , but it does!

recently broke my copy of joanne courcy in half by rolling over it in a roller chair. wanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifhypo.gif

Yep, my wife accidentally stepped on an original Joe Mathews "Ain't Nothing You Can Do" on Kool Kat in the late 80's and snapped it. Ouch!

I had a car smash on the way back from Cleethorpes and bust the Oscar Perry record on Mercury but luckily that was the only casualty!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have certainly had my share of sleepless nights going over and over how it happened, so it wouldnt happen again , but it does!

recently broke my copy of joanne courcy in half by rolling over it in a roller chair. wanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifhypo.gif

Awh, Dave... you clot! :thumbsup:

Didn't John Weston's wife stand on his copy of Royal Robins?

Social source share

Yep, my wife accidentally stepped on an original Joe Mathews "Ain't Nothing You Can Do" on Kool Kat in the late 80's and snapped it. Ouch!

I had a car smash on the way back from Cleethorpes and bust the Oscar Perry record on Mercury but luckily that was the only casualty!

Ian D :D

Joe Matthews....Oh Ya C**t!! very sore Ian!!!

Andy

Social source share

recently broke my copy of joanne courcy in half by rolling over it in a roller chair. wanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gif:D

Whoah! I also broke my copy of Joanne Courcey! Strange.

Social source share

recently broke my copy of joanne courcy in half by rolling over it in a roller chair. wanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gif:D

I'm sure there's many a wife and girlfriend been tempted! LOL.. :(

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Cliff Steele snapped his copy of Honeybees - Lets Get Back Together - Garrison after dropping his box all the way down a fire escape after a soul night.Two Records were actually broken but only one of them was his.The other of course was mine the great big wassock!

However its amazing he got off so lightly as we just looked at the box and thought F**k or something very similar but longer.

Social source share

Cliff Steele snapped his copy of Honeybees - Lets Get Back Together - Garrison after dropping his box all the way down a fire escape after a soul night.Two Records were actually broken but only one of them was his.The other of course was mine the great big wassock!

However its amazing he got off so lightly as we just looked at the box and thought F**k or something very similar but longer.

lent my "lynn vernado - second hand love " to a mate in the seventies and got it back with a huge crack in it. gutted to this day

Social source share

About 10 years ago at The Griffin Niter, Leeds. I bought a luvverly mint copy of Abstract Reality on Sport. The only one I needed to complete the label.

I was too lazy to put it in my DJ box, so I put it in my bag near the front desk. About an hour later I was all "enthusiastic", put my bag on a chair, sat on it and both heard and felt the crack.

That was bad enough, but when I got home as the crack was very clean I decided to "mend" it with superglue. Have you ever seen what superglue does to styrene :)

Phil

Social source share

About 10 years ago at The Griffin Niter, Leeds. I bought a luvverly mint copy of Abstract Reality on Sport. The only one I needed to complete the label.

I was too lazy to put it in my DJ box, so I put it in my bag near the front desk. About an hour later I was all "enthusiastic", put my bag on a chair, sat on it and both heard and felt the crack.

That was bad enough, but when I got home as the crack was very clean I decided to "mend" it with superglue. Have you ever seen what superglue does to styrene :)

Phil

LOL, the only way to fix a clean crack on a styrene record is tape across the B side! They'll still play OK but just not as attractive obviously. I still sold the cracked Joe Mathews for £200 though! I've never seen it turn up that often, so probably still a bargain.....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

LOL, the only way to fix a clean crack on a styrene record is tape across the B side! They'll still play OK but just not as attractive obviously. I still sold the cracked Joe Mathews for £200 though! I've never seen it turn up that often, so probably still a bargain.....

Ian D :)

That was at The Griffin too was it not?

Phil

Social source share

Broke a sam williams love slipped thru my fingers tower demo,now weres kev murphy he can break very rare records :thumbup: .

Had a Mosses Smith 'Girl across the street' Dionne issue original playing on my dex when a call came in so I wandered off talking for England. When I got back the lamp standing next to the deck had slipped forward and was resting neatly on the record! :hypo: When I picked the record up it just slopped over like a big blob, melted beyond recognition. Bummer. :(

Social source share

My sympathies go out to those folk who have busted the big ticket stuff. My "break" is nowhere near that bad but at one time i had my records stored by the wall and lids on the boxes. Except on the one occasion when i had a few waiting to be "filed away" and hadnt done so. Reason is it was tuesday. I had this nice area with dart board and was a pretty keen darter. Well i dont need to tell you what happene next do i. While practicing one night for that nights tuesday going out to play for the team match a dart bounced out, went straight into the record on top of the box and stuck beatifully into the vinyl part of the disc. That particular disc was the most expensive of the 3 or 4 waiting to be put away. An inch to the left and would have been a BB hole. Where it hit was in the vinyl and a £20 disc was fooked up. That was so depressing it preyed on me and in my darts match i got the brush! My only one in all the years i played. (301 double to start game). But it was one of my worst "getting pissed up nights" of the time i went darting. approx 1978/9, so a £20 rec then, well it could've been a thou today.

Social source share

That was at The Griffin too was it not?

Phil

As a matter of fact it was LOL!

Later on, in the early hours of the morning I ventured up to Cliff's in Chapletown because my mate wanted to score some weed. We got busted in a general anti-drugs operation and the cops ended up going through my room @ The Griffin and MISSING £5K I'd put under the mattress from some earlier record sales to Pat Brady. laugh.gif

Great friggin' weekend though.

When I went to court in Leeds several months later to answer for the miniscule wrap of speed they located in my left sock, the prosecution read my statement to the court and the following part was read out:

"Mr Dewhirst stated that he INJECTS the amphetamine into his nostrils" and the entire court gasped and looked at me weirdly.

I put my hand up and asked the judge if I could speak and he said, "Go ahead Mr Dewhirst"

I said, "Your honour, I can't imagine even in my wildest dreams that I'd ever resort to having to INJECT anything into my nostrils. I believe the correct wording should be "Mr Dewhirst stated that he INGESTS the amphetamine into his nostrils".

Cue riotous laughter from everyone in the court.

The judge had a sense of humour and gave me a conditional discharge and told me to keep my nose clean! laugh.gif

Good solid justice. I even had a drink with 'em afterwards!

Social source share

OK, we smashed a hayes cotton (p griffin) on claire and (me) a drifter demo ! will that do ?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

As a matter of fact it was LOL!

Later on, in the early hours of the morning I ventured up to Cliff's in Chapletown because my mate wanted to score some weed. We got busted in a general anti-drugs operation and the cops ended up going through my room @ The Griffin and MISSING £5K I'd put under the mattress from some earlier record sales to Pat Brady. laugh.gif

Great friggin' weekend though.

When I went to court in Leeds several months later to answer for the miniscule wrap of speed they located in my left sock, the prosecution read my statement to the court and the following part was read out:

"Mr Dewhirst stated that he INJECTS the amphetamine into his nostrils" and the entire court gasped and looked at me weirdly.

I put my hand up and asked the judge if I could speak and he said, "Go ahead Mr Dewhirst"

I said, "Your honour, I can't imagine even in my wildest dreams that I'd ever resort to having to INJECT anything into my nostrils. I believe the correct wording should be "Mr Dewhirst stated that he INGESTS the amphetamine into his nostrils".

Cue riotous laughter from everyone in the court.

The judge had a sense of humour and gave me a conditional discharge and told me to keep my nose clean! laugh.gif

Good solid justice. I even had a drink with 'em afterwards!

Is that true?

Social source share

Is that true?

No, he would have had to attend the next day ! or in the following week ! It is for commital so possibly 2 weeks to six months on remand !

And then on to crown and a little bang up if you are hard enough ! laugh.gif

are you?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

You're probably right Kev, was broken on the way down here to Australia, the record was purchased from a very well known dealer in the UK (you know who I mean) & was posted by an underling, unfortunately it was packed in between a couple of bits of cardboard then put into a padded jiffy bag.....not the best way to transport any record let alone one of the rarest.....end up being very unhappy friend, underling jobless....in hindsight it would have been worthwhile collecting it personally.

I've got a demo copy of Toni Washington - Good Times - Kon-ti that has a crack in it, hot knife melt the edge, plays near perfect.

KTF

Baz

I think the famous one is Don Garner,Cheatin Kind, In bits sad.gif

Kev wicked.gif

Social source share

A few years ago the daughter of the lead singer of Soul Bros Inc agreed to sell her last copy of "Pyramid" - she had 5 or 6 copies that her dad had given her to sell and she had been gradually auctioning them off through Ebay.

Well, I paid her for the record and she duly sent it me (Down Under) in nothing more than a paper thin dinner napkin and a standard paper post envelope.

No cardboard covering , no card board box style mailer , no nothing ....

It arrived on my doorstep ... in 16 pieces ...

Kiss goodbye to $700 US ...

Social source share

recently broke my copy of joanne courcy in half by rolling over it in a roller chair. wanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gifwanker.gif:lol:

I never forget this Pete S topic...

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Mother-...ord#entry648099

Social source share

Is that true?

Of course. I don't need to make up anything LOL.

The bit I left out was that because I was from London and staying in a Leeds hotel, they thought I was Mr Big in some local drugs scam, so they also busted into my house in London @ 6.00am on the Sunday morning and scared the death out of my wife, daughter and the neighbours!

When they realised the error of their ways, the Head Constable @ Chapletown Police station actually apologised to me. They then had to compensate me for wrecking my front door!

A complete waste of time, effort and taxpayers money.

I told them the truth and they didn't believe me either!

Social source share

No, he would have had to attend the next day ! or in the following week ! It is for commital so possibly 2 weeks to six months on remand !

And then on to crown and a little bang up if you are hard enough ! :lol:

are you?

Nope. Was released from Chapletown nick @ circa 1.00pm the next day (it was a Sunday) and had to go to Leeds Magistrates court around 6 weeks later.

Social source share

hello? Floor not a good place! :D

Oh how right you are... :shades:

My 4yr old was out playing I had the house to myself (including floor space) :D:D

Batch of 45's on the floor including a copy of James Shorter on La Beat which I'd just sold and was wrapping ready for posting...

To cut it short, Carla came running into the room, Delicate little feet !!! straight on top of my records.

She missed my recently brought copy of Freddie Williams :thumbsup: but managed to snap James Shorter.

Every cloud has a silver lining so they say. In this case the silver lining was, finding out the buyer was someone to ovoid in the future.

Social source share

lent my "lynn vernado - second hand love " to a mate in the seventies and got it back with a huge crack in it. gutted to this day

How odd my Lynn Vernado has a crack in it as well, still plays though!

Cracked a Jock mitchell, Knights on USA and sat on Miracle Wlkers on Scam, clumsy sod!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Just noticed by copy of G Tyler / R Davis is snapped - weight of other records caused that.

WEIGHT OF ALL THOSE BOOTLEGS LOL laugh.gif:shades:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

put a mint copy of tony hestor on karate in the door pocket....got out of the car and my foot caught it and snapped a big piece clean off of it sad.gif broke it in two halfs.....plays ok still though lol

Social source share

put a mint copy of tony hestor on karate in the door pocket....got out of the car and my foot caught it and snapped a big piece clean off of it :D broke it in two halfs.....plays ok still though lol

When I saw it was on Karate thought you'd given it the chop :lol:

I ain't broken any records yet thankfully.

Suz :D

x

Social source share

Mines not an expensive record - but I was still pissed off! :D

Bought a copy of Harold Melvins "Prayin" at a niter at Notts County Footy ground a few years ago. Walking over Lady Bay Bridge on my way home in the morning and for some reason I sort of flicked the cardboard sleeve. The fookin record shot out and frisbeed into the Trent.

:lol:

Social source share

Mines not an expensive record - but I was still pissed off! :hypo:

Bought a copy of Harold Melvins "Prayin" at a niter at Notts County Footy ground a few years ago. Walking over Lady Bay Bridge on my way home in the morning and for some reason I sort of flicked the cardboard sleeve. The fookin record shot out and frisbeed into the Trent.

:D

I shouldn't laugh but that really tickled me, :D:D:thumbsup:

thank you for my first giggle on what has so far been a s**t of a day..

Dolly :lol:

Social source share

Bought a lovely issue copy of Cajun Hart "Got To Find A Way" many moons ago from a very well known dealer and during playback. i heard some loud pops. After phoning said dealer and arguing about it's condition (you claimed it was mint etc. etc.) i then noticed what was 'actually' after happening. The customs had opened the package for inspection and instead of taping it back up, the lazy bastards stapled the package closed and yes you've guessed it, it went straight through and hit the vinyl :D On the plus side it plays through ok and because it was insured, i got my money back and got to keep the record :lol:

I know that's not really a broken record story as such so to balance it up, i once received a record in the mail broken in about 20 pieces with a tyre track on the packaging :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert