Mike Terry Rip

• Replies 88
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

To reiterate the statement by Rob Moss .......

" Over 50 non - Motown records featuring Mike Terry's baritone saxophone that must be heard before expiration - and there are plenty more "

'

Set my heart at ease' - Mikki Farrow

'Sweet sherry'/'Hole in the wall' - J.J. Barnes

'I must love you' - Melvin Davis

'Girls are out to get you' - The Fascinations

'Our love (is in the pocket)' - Darrel Banks/J.J. Barnes

'What can I do' - Lorraine Chandler

'The horse' - Cliff Nobles and Company

'SOS (Stop her on sight)' - Edwin Starr

'Cool jerk' - The Capitols

'Girl across the street' - Moses Smith

'Dearly beloved'/'Baby baby take a chance on me' - Jack Montgomery

'Peace loving man'/'Don't lead me on baby' - Emanuel Laskey

'Can't stop looking for my baby' - Fantastic Four

'Ain't nothing but a house party' - Showstoppers

'Exus trek'/'If it's all the same to you babe' - Luther Ingram

'Open the door to your heart' - Darrel Banks

'Loving you takes all of my time' - Debonaires

'Looking for a woman' - Brooks Brothers

'I have faith in you' - Edwin Starr/Doni Burdick

'Bari track'/'I miss by baby'/'Hit and run'/'Holding hands' - Rose Battiste

'Mr. Big Shot'/'I can take care of myself' - Gene Chandler

'Sweeter than the day before' - Valentinos

'Head and shoulders' - Patti Young/ 'Merry go round' - Tommy Frontera

'Say it isn't so' - Betty Boo

'Heart trouble' - Parliaments

'Frantic escape' - Innocent Bystanders

'Headline news'/'Backstreet'/'Agent double O soul'/'You're my mellow' - Edwin Starr

'Put a dime on D9' - Rotations/ 'Bobby is my baby' - Barbara Mason

'Carlena' - Just Brothers

'Honey boy' - Nella Dodds

'Goin' to a happening' - Tommy Neal / 'Spaceland' - Tony Hestor

'Not a chance in a million' - Jock Mitchell

'Hit and run' - Rose Battiste

'I can't hide it' - Appreciations

'She's wanted (in three States)' - Larry Clinton

'Savin' my love for you' - Peoples Choice

' Love look in her eyes' - Falcons

'If you ever walk out of my life' - Dena Barnes

Quick change artist' - Soul Twins

'Watch yourself'/'Just can't leave you' - Tony Hestor

'Love finds a way' - Margaret Little

'(This is a) groovy generation' / 'Sweet things' - Billy Kennedy

'To win your heart' / 'Festival time' - Laura Lee

'Nothin' no sweeter than love' - Carl Carlton

'Make a change' - Johnny Rogers

'Baby boy' Ja Neen Henry

'Can't you see (you're losing me)' - Mary Wells

'I'll never forget you' - O'Jays

'Oooh boy' - Adorables

'That's what you do to me' - Deon Jackson

Thank you Sir for your contribution ........

Malc Burton

Wow!! thats fantastic.....What a guy,a true legend.

He clocked up some mileage too ! RESPECT !!

Cog

Social source share

So very sad at this news....

I thank him for so many fantastic records

God Bless

respect

Paul

Very sad news. A true genius and a soulhero has left us :thumbsup: Will also like to thank for all fantastic records hes been involved with that we still will listen and dance to forever . RIP Mike Terry

Social source share

Hi everyone I am Mike Terry's true favorite fan. I am his first born child Bridgette. Thank you UK family for loving my Dad. I am learning so much about my dad through Rob Moss and so many other of my dads admirers. Thank YOU!!!!!!!! Please know that he is not suffering any more. I watched him take his last breath and he was there when I took mine. Your well wishes, comments, prayers are felt. On behalf of myself my brothers Michael & Matthew and his Step Children Thank You!!!!

I know that you can't come but His funeral arrangements are as follows:

Saturday November 8th @ 10:30 a.m.

James Cole Funeral Home (Next to the Motown Museum)

2624 W Grand Blvd

Detroit, MI 48208

His body will be laid to rest at

Mount Hope Memorial Gardens

Livonia, MI

If you need more information you may reach me through my email imagesandmoments@aol.com

In Appreciation,

Bridgette

Social source share

Thank you for loving my dad and thank you Rob Moss for exposing me to a link that expresses so much kindness for my father. I am my dads first born. I was with him when he took his last breath and he was responsible for me taking my first. Thank you Dad. My dad suffered UK family and is no longer in pain. He lost his will to live when his wife my stepmother passed away in June of this year. Although my brother Michael & I weren't raised by our dad we experienced him through his music. We loved him until his last breath. His funeral will be on Saturday November 8th @ 10:30 a.m.

Andrew "Mike" Terry

James Cole Funeral Home

2624 W Grand Blvd Detroit, MI 48208

phone number

(313) 835-3997 If you need any other information feel free to contact me via email imagesandmoments@aol.com

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...blogid=226&

See attachment

In Appreciation,

Bridgette

post-14285-1225630925_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Terribly sad news, the length and breadth of this man's talent is limitless, he is that often used , but rarely justified term 'legend'.

So many remarkable recordings over so many years. It's great to think he knew we were flipping over him in the UK.

RIP.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

Bless you Bridgette Odum,

I'll stop what I'm doing, next Saturday at 10:30................... and say a prayer for Mike Terry

Paul Woosnam

Thanks Paul

Social source share

Just had a call from a mate in Detroit informing me that Mike Terry as sadly passed away . another legend gone but will never be forgotten . R I P Mike .

We all know that one day we've go to go and every death is a tragedy however this one seems particularly bitter as the UK soul scene is such an intense one. :lol:

Chris L

Social source share

We all know that one day we've go to go and every death is a tragedy however this one seems particularly bitter as the UK soul scene is such an intense one. :yes:

Chris L

Thanks Chris

Social source share

Bless you Bridgette Odum,

I'll stop what I'm doing, next Saturday at 10:30................... and say a prayer for Mike Terry

Paul Woosnam

sad loss,will be paying my own respects at 10.30 am Saturday.

Will give Betty Boo a blast,instrumental side.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Thank you for loving my dad and thank you Rob Moss for exposing me to a link that expresses so much kindness for my father. I am my dads first born. I was with him when he took his last breath and he was responsible for me taking my first. Thank you Dad. My dad suffered UK family and is no longer in pain. He lost his will to live when his wife my stepmother passed away in June of this year. Although my brother Michael & I weren't raised by our dad we experienced him through his music. We loved him until his last breath. His funeral will be on Saturday November 8th @ 10:30 a.m.

Andrew "Mike" Terry

James Cole Funeral Home

2624 W Grand Blvd Detroit, MI 48208

phone number

(313) 835-3997 If you need any other information feel free to contact me via email imagesandmoments@aol.com

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...blogid=226&

See attachment

In Appreciation,

Bridgette

Hiya Bridgette

First of all welcome to Soul source and Thanks to Rob Moss pointing you in the Right Direction . so sad to hear about your Dad , I've been told many of great story's by a close friend of mine who was so close to your Dad ( Bill Randle) . your dads music will live on , and next time I'm over In Detroit I will pay my respect at his Grave . just want to annouce to you - -

FRIDAY 28TH NOVEMBER A SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO " MIKE TERRY "

FREE ENTRY JUST PUT TOWARDS COLLECTION ON THE NIGHT AND ALL MONIES RAISED WILL GO TO HIS DAUGHTER BRIDGETTE .

THE PLACE IS AT JCT 2 OLDBURY , BRUNEL RD , OLDBURY , WEST MIDLANDS .

STARTS AT 9PM TILL 1AM

I will give you a call in next few days about this event .

Chalky

Social source share

Hiya Bridgette

First of all welcome to Soul source and Thanks to Rob Moss pointing you in the Right Direction . so sad to hear about your Dad , I've been told many of great story's by a close friend of mine who was so close to your Dad ( Bill Randle) . your dads music will live on , and next time I'm over In Detroit I will pay my respect at his Grave . just want to annouce to you - -

FRIDAY 28TH NOVEMBER A SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO " MIKE TERRY "

FREE ENTRY JUST PUT TOWARDS COLLECTION ON THE NIGHT AND ALL MONIES RAISED WILL GO TO HIS DAUGHTER BRIDGETTE .

THE PLACE IS AT JCT 2 OLDBURY , BRUNEL RD , OLDBURY , WEST MIDLANDS .

STARTS AT 9PM TILL 1AM

I will give you a call in next few days about this event .

Chalky

Thanks Chalky your work and labor towards my fathers memory will not be in vain...my number is (313) 617-9136. I will also send you his obituary.

Blessings,

Bridgette

Social source share

It would be fair to say that I've lived a fortunate life when it comes to losing family and friends. My family are all alive and well although I know that this will change as the years advance.

Some would think that the years I spent as a nurse might have made me pretty hard to such things but dealing with death on an almost daily basis, particularly the years I spent working in Intensive Care, have not really equipped me to deal with loss at a personal level.

When I read of the death of Mike Terry on Friday it floored me. I have spent the last few days reflecting on his enormous contribution to my life.

I probably first noticed him play when I about 12. In my formative years I would be subjected to college friends, of my older brother, coming to the house to play records. There were the standard Motown tunes but they also had things like 'Girls Are Out To Get You', Edwin's 'SOS' and the one that grabbed my attention the most ....'Frantic Escape'. I think from that point I fell in love with the music of Popcorn Wylie & Tony Hester and the sound of the mysterious sax player

Visiting Popcorn, at his home in Detroit, remains one of the highlights of my life and his recent loss, whilst expected, stuill cut very deep.

It was a number of years before I was able to put a name to the guy who played the baritone sax on so many records that I subsequently heard following that initial exposure. As I recall the penny dropped when I saw some information from a French 60s Motown release which listed the musicians featured on the tracks. I knew the style of the man and could spot him a mile away, even if he was far back in the mix, so to now know that it was Mike Terry gave real substance to the sound.

I would make a point of buying 45s that featured him and took to making notes, and compiling a discography, in my Milke Terry book. If I heard something new, or spotted his name on a label. I would then try to get that 45 as funds permitted. He became the number one reason that would drive me to wanting to buy a record.

I recall being so obsessed with Betty Boo - 'Say It Isn't So' - that I pestered John Vincent for weeks at the Peterboro Fleet niters to sell me his acetate at the time when only 3 or 4 DJs had it. One night he agreed and I frantically borrowed money to raise the £6 I needed. I was still at school and had a Saturday job in a record shop where I earned £1.50 for the day. I would always then take the acetate with me back to The Fleet so John could play it. I still needed to dance to it. The acetate eventually got worn out due to excessive play but I still have it tucked away for old times sake.

That song, and so many others, have captivated me. The hairs on my neck still stand up when I hear him and when new discoveries come along ... be it in the shape of 45s like Margaret Littles or previously unreleased Motown tracks ... I get palpitations. In my eyes he can do no wrong.

Mike has been with me for the greater part of my life. He has provided me with the musical backdrop I needed as I stumbled through the years. He has fascinated me with his technical ability and been the subject of so many conversations, and so much investigation, over the years that I sometimes felt I could almost win Mastermind if put to the test.

I've been fortunate enough to have spoken about him with people he's worked with .. Popcorn, Joe Hunter, Jesse James, Dale Warren, Ivy Jo Hunter ... all they said about him was good and the admiration and deep respect they had for Mike was plain to see.

As we all know this year has been a tough one ... Levi Stubbs, my all time favourite male singer has gone ... my good friend, and rhythm king, Popcorn has left .. I learned of the death of Eddie Singleton ... and now Mike.

I've spent a lot of time this year playing records, as a tribute to these guys, to my other half because I wanted to share more of the genius of these people with her. Over the years she too has learned how to spot a Mike Terry sax break.

My only regret is that I never met him. I so wish I had. I would have like to have shook his hand and said thank you.

I'll pay my respects from afar on Saturday morning at 10.30

God Bless you Mike Terry

Andrew

Social source share

It would be fair to say that I've lived a fortunate life when it comes to losing family and friends. My family are all alive and well although I know that this will change as the years advance.

Some would think that the years I spent as a nurse might have made me pretty hard to such things but dealing with death on an almost daily basis, particularly the years I spent working in Intensive Care, have not really equipped me to deal with loss at a personal level.

When I read of the death of Mike Terry on Friday it floored me. I have spent the last few days reflecting on his enormous contribution to my life.

I probably first noticed him play when I about 12. In my formative years I would be subjected to college friends, of my older brother, coming to the house to play records. There were the standard Motown tunes but they also had things like 'Girls Are Out To Get You', Edwin's 'SOS' and the one that grabbed my attention the most ....'Frantic Escape'. I think from that point I fell in love with the music of Popcorn Wylie & Tony Hester and the sound of the mysterious sax player

Visiting Popcorn, at his home in Detroit, remains one of the highlights of my life and his recent loss, whilst expected, stuill cut very deep.

It was a number of years before I was able to put a name to the guy who played the baritone sax on so many records that I subsequently heard following that initial exposure. As I recall the penny dropped when I saw some information from a French 60s Motown release which listed the musicians featured on the tracks. I knew the style of the man and could spot him a mile away, even if he was far back in the mix, so to now know that it was Mike Terry gave real substance to the sound.

I would make a point of buying 45s that featured him and took to making notes, and compiling a discography, in my Milke Terry book. If I heard something new, or spotted his name on a label. I would then try to get that 45 as funds permitted. He became the number one reason that would drive me to wanting to buy a record.

I recall being so obsessed with Betty Boo - 'Say It Isn't So' - that I pestered John Vincent for weeks at the Peterboro Fleet niters to sell me his acetate at the time when only 3 or 4 DJs had it. One night he agreed and I frantically borrowed money to raise the £6 I needed. I was still at school and had a Saturday job in a record shop where I earned £1.50 for the day. I would always then take the acetate with me back to The Fleet so John could play it. I still needed to dance to it. The acetate eventually got worn out due to excessive play but I still have it tucked away for old times sake.

That song, and so many others, have captivated me. The hairs on my neck still stand up when I hear him and when new discoveries come along ... be it in the shape of 45s like Margaret Littles or previously unreleased Motown tracks ... I get palpitations. In my eyes he can do no wrong.

Mike has been with me for the greater part of my life. He has provided me with the musical backdrop I needed as I stumbled through the years. He has fascinated me with his technical ability and been the subject of so many conversations, and so much investigation, over the years that I sometimes felt I could almost win Mastermind if put to the test.

I've been fortunate enough to have spoken about him with people he's worked with .. Popcorn, Joe Hunter, Jesse James, Dale Warren, Ivy Jo Hunter ... all they said about him was good and the admiration and deep respect they had for Mike was plain to see.

As we all know this year has been a tough one ... Levi Stubbs, my all time favourite male singer has gone ... my good friend, and rhythm king, Popcorn has left .. I learned of the death of Eddie Singleton ... and now Mike.

I've spent a lot of time this year playing records, as a tribute to these guys, to my other half because I wanted to share more of the genius of these people with her. Over the years she too has learned how to spot a Mike Terry sax break.

My only regret is that I never met him. I so wish I had. I would have like to have shook his hand and said thank you.

God Bless you Mike Terry

Andrew

What a fantastic post andy, well said :lol:

Social source share

God Bless you Mike Terry

Andrew

Superb Andy. Round of applause here.

Social source share

God Bless you Mike Terry

Andrew

Wow Andrew this is touching and has really helped me at this very moment. Thanks for taking the time to simply care and express that you care and was tocuhed my Dad. PS Did you know that his given name was Andrew :lol:

Blessings to you,

Bridgette

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

What a sad loss for us, his family, friends and soul music. His contribution was extraordinary. Some lovely posts on this thread. Andy Rix, I can well imagine how you felt writing that tribute. I guess many are tearful right now.

Social source share

Hi everyone I am Mike Terry's true favorite fan. I am his first born child Bridgette. Thank you UK family for loving my Dad. I am learning so much about my dad through Rob Moss and so many other of my dads admirers. Thank YOU!!!!!!!! Please know that he is not suffering any more. I watched him take his last breath and he was there when I took mine. Your well wishes, comments, prayers are felt. On behalf of myself my brothers Michael & Matthew and his Step Children Thank You!!!!

I know that you can't come but His funeral arrangements are as follows:

Saturday November 8th @ 10:30 a.m.

James Cole Funeral Home (Next to the Motown Museum)

2624 W Grand Blvd

Detroit, MI 48208

His body will be laid to rest at

Mount Hope Memorial Gardens

Livonia, MI

If you need more information you may reach me through my email imagesandmoments@aol.com

In Appreciation,

Bridgette

Apart from all Mike's northern tracks, we shouldn't forget his contributions to the many early Motown tracks he played on. How appropriate that funeral takes place next to Motown's original studio's where the spirit of the Funk Brothers is well and truely alive in Studio 'A'.

RIP Mike Terry.

Social source share

God Bless you Mike Terry

Andrew

Thats a wonderful posting Andy , and I'm sure many of us can relate to your story .Best,Eddie

Social source share

God Bless you Mike Terry

Andrew

I am not very good at putting feelings into words, but this tribute will ring true for a lot of people thanks andy

RIP Andrew "Mike" Terry I just hope you knew that your name on a record was just bought no questions asked - thanks so much for the enjoyment

Social source share

Guest mel brat

May I just add my own tribute to the late Mike Terry. A very sad loss, particularly to the UK Northern Soul clubs and collectors who have benefitted so much from the man's timeless contributions to the Detroit music scene. Our condolences to his family. RIP.

Social source share

May I just add my own tribute to the late Mike Terry. A very sad loss, particularly to the UK Northern Soul clubs and collectors who have benefitted so much from the man's timeless contributions to the Detroit music scene. Our condolences to his family. RIP.

Thanks Mel

Social source share

To add to the list that Rob Moss compiled of Mike's non-Motown appearances, I would bet my last penny that he is responsible for the sax solo during Eartha Kitt's "There comes a time" (Musicor) which is a Solid Hitbound production if ever I heard one...whichever musicians played on The Debonaires - Loving you takes all of my time, also played on this record.

Social source share

Guest familytree

What sad news.... just want to add my condolences to this wonderful tribute. The soul scene takes his passing very personally because of the joy he has brought us throughout our lives. We do not take talent like his for granted. His contribution to the music we love so dearly will leave us forever grateful and I hope you find comfort in this Bridgette... love x

Social source share

Oouch missed this as havent been on that much.

So sad again, an absolute legend and so influential in the NS world.

Great man, RIP Mike!

:lol: Same here Jocko.

Just like to echo what everyone else has said............really has been a sad few weeks hasn't it, with first Levi Stubbs, then Dee Dee Warwick (another that i missed & a real favourite of mine, 'When Love Slips Away' really is one of my all time favourite tunes) & then Mike Terry. So glad I got to read his story in Dave Moore's 'There's That Beat' mag, issue 4 it was (just checked) well worth purchasing for that alone :D

R.I.P all of you, & thankyou

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert