Jimmy Robins- I Just Can't Please You

Soulsider

Popsike has three labels for this mighty fine record. - President, Jerhart and Impression. Various prices for all three. The President appears to be the most valued. Copy going on ebay now. Anyone know the story behind these three ? I take it that these are all originals and none are boots?

Thanks for any help

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm sure the Mica version is different to the Jerhart version, as for the other two I can't comment. All I can say is that it went down well when I played it last night. :thumbsup:

JAMES ROBBINS -I CAN,T PLEAE YOU-MICA RECORDS-GREAT TUNE,BUT THE FLIP IS A CRACKING RECORD --ROY WRIGHT--HOOK,LINE & SINKER --ANYBODY KNOW THE REASON FOR TWO DIFFERENT ARTISTS ON THIS RECORD----RICHARD

Social source share

Ooh, just been looking on John Manships site with regards to this record. One thing that always puzzled me was that I always seem to see copies with "Tomorrows Hits Today" on the label. My problem was that I bought a copy from Shane a few years back for the princely sum of £15 and it didn't have that text on it. However I have just discovered this on Johns Manship site "RAMHORN B.M.I music left hand side. Plain sky blue label with NO tomorrow's hits today text - slogan under the logo. Perhaps it's rarest format." So thank you, Mr Higgins. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Popsike has three labels for this mighty fine record. - President, Jerhart and Impression. Various prices for all three. The President appears to be the most valued. Copy going on ebay now. Anyone know the story behind these three ? I take it that these are all originals and none are boots?

Thanks for any help

I always thought the Impression issue was the "rarest/most valued" issue, not President :lol: ....

Ooh, just been looking on John Manships site with regards to this record. One thing that always puzzled me was that I always seem to see copies with "Tomorrows Hits Today" on the label. My problem was that I bought a copy from Shane a few years back for the princely sum of £15 and it didn't have that text on it. However I have just discovered this on Johns Manship site "RAMHORN B.M.I music left hand side. Plain sky blue label with NO tomorrow's hits today text - slogan under the logo. Perhaps it's rarest format." So thank you, Mr Higgins. :thumbsup:

Ian.... see above re rarest format....

Jerhart issues were either pale green (? differing shades) and pale blue (? differing shades), with or without the "logo"....

Pale blue DJ copies with no logo "supposed" to be rarest of the Jerhart issues :thumbsup: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Thanks for any help

i think jerhart is the original label, there are several label variations also. even though it is now the most indemand version, i actually think the impression is a reissue (but I'm open to be told otherwise). I think it's a case of the reissue being rarer than the original and people assuming it's original. the mica / roy wright thing was probably an attempt by Bob Lee to cash in a second time when he started working with Al Benson / Crash.

Social source share

This is one of my all time faves - it is a truly awesome outing with a superb vocal - ooommmpphh!! :sleep3:

Richard

A totaly blinding stomper a true nasty northern sound if ever there was one.

I first heard this on you tube, a short snippet of a club somewhere featuring

a fantastic dancer back dropping and doing the splits to it.Added to the excitement of the track :wicked:

Alas I can't find that snippet anyone help?

Social source share

The President one is imo the most collectable.

Always under the impression that the Mica one was a re-issue (differing artists usually is the case?).As BobA says,probably cashing in later.

Is the Impression release also 20 secs or so longer?.

Off to check my Jerhart copy biggrin.gif .

Social source share

Guest Brett F

4 different Jerhart labels, light blue,mid green,pale green and the tomorrows hits. Impression and Mica labels fetch three figures, others around £20-£30.

And yes fantastic record, not sure what mine is on Jerhart, i remember it being pale blue.

Social source share

was it booted on jerhart? i just thought it was common with several label variations and sold very well

stateside, which is probably why it came out on president over here as its a contemporary release.

I also think its the first label but not sure if impression is b4 mica or vice versa.

dave

yep..unless some one can be certain otherwise, and i know a dealer who was selling them reissues pale yellow label,styrene..cant see him dropping a b*llock :D

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

The flip "I made it over" is an interesting deep soul side that made it onto Dave Godin's much lauded "Deep Soul Treasures" anthology. I presume the track appeared on all of the records various guises ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest Brett F

The flip "I made it over" is an interesting deep soul side that made it onto Dave Godin's much lauded "Deep Soul Treasures" anthology. I presume the track appeared on all of the records various guises ?

Yes Richard mate, except for the Mica 45' that flip was ."Hook Line and Sinker"

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Anyone got a soundfile, my copies are stored away and i cannot be bothered to find it, but i want to hear it again.

Brett

sorry just seen toads refo file.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Pushing the rarity label, there's 2 cover versions, one, bizarrely, in Spanish - actually more specifically think in Catalan - which is good but just interesting, but the must-have is a US, probably blue-eyed powerhouse version, only know of handful of copies so far which is funny as it's on a "known" label, can be heard on one of DJ Honky's excellent mix cd's that a lot of people here were the happy recipients of, have a spare in trades box.

Social source share

I have the one on Mica and its a slightly different cut with a rougher, more edgy feel.....slightly longer but reason for that, it could be slightly slower. The Roy Wright flip is also excellent and one you dont hear around, ive never heard it played anywhere apart from the odd time I throw it in.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Boba: do you have any idea of how Bob Lee came to release this in Chicago? Jimmy Robbins was a Californian artist and I've always been led to believe that Impression was the first, Californian release of a Californian recording.

Having said that, it's an almost definitive example of 'Chicago-style' hard soul in the vein of an Otis Clay or Harold Burrage, explaining its popularity in that market.

Social source share

4 different Jerhart labels, light blue,mid green,pale green and the tomorrows hits. Impression and Mica labels fetch three figures, others around £20-£30.

And yes fantastic record, not sure what mine is on Jerhart, i remember it being pale blue.

And red ones aswell

Social source share

Boba: do you have any idea of how Bob Lee came to release this in Chicago? Jimmy Robbins was a Californian artist and I've always been led to believe that Impression was the first, Californian release of a Californian recording.

Having said that, it's an almost definitive example of 'Chicago-style' hard soul in the vein of an Otis Clay or Harold Burrage, explaining its popularity in that market.

are you sure jimmy robbins was a california artist? I thought he was in Chicago and later moved to California. My friend did talk to him as he licensed the Patrizia and Jimmy record on ALA for his kiddie soul comp. I guess I could potentially call him and ask him if it was important. Either way, you could be right about the impression release being first, it definitely charted on jerhart and doesn't it have bob lee's publishing on all the other releases?

Either way Bob Lee did have LA connections so it would make sense as he rerelased Billy Watkins' 45 on Jerhart and he was an LA artist.

Social source share

are you sure jimmy robbins was a california artist? I thought he was in Chicago and later moved to California. My friend did talk to him as he licensed the Patrizia and Jimmy record on ALA for his kiddie soul comp. I guess I could potentially call him and ask him if it was important. Either way, you could be right about the impression release being first, it definitely charted on jerhart and doesn't it have bob lee's publishing on all the other releases?

Either way Bob Lee did have LA connections so it would make sense as he rerelased Billy Watkins' 45 on Jerhart and he was an LA artist.

i looked at the scans in the thread and I see they all don't have bob lee's publishing so you might be right. I guess he just had LA contacts (e.g. there was that billy watkins thing).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert