BARGIAN RECORD FINDS - WHAT WERE YOUR BEST?

Gene-R

at a car boot in Leicester in 1988 i found all these in one box for a fiver!

Pat Clayton-someone elses turn

jimmy norman- i know im in love

lonnie lester you can't go

kelly bros- crying days are over

tom dooley- can't turn you loose

dorothy berry-your driving me crazy

2 more from dorothy berry (but to rock & roll for my liking)

jj jackson let the show begin

and wait for it

Mac Staten & The Nomads -There she goes- Prelude

not bad for fifty pence each eh!

have also found over the years

the Sequins- he's a flirt

dells- make sure you have someone who loves you

falcons- i'm a fool

dean parish-determination and tell her..

when at school i brought a frank wilson from hmv for 50p

and when at niters i only paid a pound for the following

ringleaders,soulville allstars,constellationsand delegates of soul all before they were played. i've not been to a niter since 87 and i never payed more than £25 for a record and i can't believe what they are fetching now!

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It was a little worn to say the least. My friend had bought it the day before, but didn't bring it out. Nevertheless, the merest mention of it at an early Wigan nighter was enough to start a feeding frenzy among hopeful buyers. A certain Kev Roberts was on his knees trying to beg a lift to Worcester on our minibus. That's what happens when a junk shop offers a up a Lynne Randell demo at 10p!

Social source share

I was with a mate when he picked up Flame and King's 'Oh Happy Day' when it was huge first time around off Shirebrook market-place for pence - he got 3 figs in trade off the Ovenchip (which was a lot of cash in them there days).

RichS

Social source share

Guest micksmith

just found these in europe this week-end,

frankie & johnny-i'll hold you-u.k. decca demo. 30 euros.

timmie williams- competition-u.s. mala demo. 10 euros.

Social source share

Guest j a c k o

Couple of chapies (I think) off eBay. Alan Harris - Get Ready about £50 last year, Ivan Neville - Dance your bluues away with pic sleeve £13 last week.

Andy

Social source share

A few bargains i've had listed below:

Marvin Smith - Who will do your running now - Mayfield - £15, got this of Butch at the 100 club just before it became sought after

Andrea Henry - I need you like a baby - mgm demo $7

Rose Brooks - I'm Moanin' - Soul City demo - £20

Best find has to be:

Five Chances - Stranger I Love You - Finch

This was given to me free on a visit to the States in 96, along with a Johnnie Mae Matthews - Oh Baby / You worry me - Glodis

Also TEN copies of Bobby Kline, ( 'b' side label both sides on 9 copies ) for less than $100 each, kept the only copy with "Say something.... for myself of course !!!!

Andy

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I swore out loud when I read that.

Memo to self when secretivley looking at the net at work. Dont give yourself away that easily!!

Social source share

Guest micksmith

HI LOUISE- IT MUST HAVE BEEN THAT I HAD MY No 1 RECORD HUNTER WITH ME TAFF HE ACTUALLY FOUND THE F/J DEMO AND OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF HIS HEART HE LET ME HAVE IT. WHAT A FRIEND ALSO IT COULD BE MY GOOD LOOKS AND CHARM. MICK.

Social source share

Mick & taff in Europe junking for records a likley story,last time we went it was booze booze & more booze till god knows what time of the norning. But still a great time had by all,last time i found 11 mint demos of Nolan Porter,promptly given away to Mick cause hes a mate...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a young record collector, I used to get lists from all the main dealers. Being an inexperienced and naive lad, I often asked the dealers to recommend records if I hadn't heard them or didn't know them. Sometimes this approach backfired spectacularly, and I'd end up with a piece of crap that the dealer couldn't normally shift in a million years. Occasionally, it yielded significant dividends.

One friday morning, I got my fortnightly list from a well known character in the Leeds area. Got anything good this week ***, I asked. "Yes", came the reply, "do you know Linda Queeen "Pain" / "Where Can My Baby Be?", it's great and it's only a tenner."

I didn't know it, but took the dealer's word for it, sent the money and received the record, which I agreed was great, particularly the b-side.

The next list arrived the following week, and again I rang up, only to be greeted with: "You were a bit cute over that Linda Queen, weren't you? Every bugger's been telling me it's worth a hundred quid, and I sold it you for a tenner!" His inferrence being that I'd ripped him off!!

The moral of the story is that everyone makes mistakes with records, it's part of evolution. Collectors and dealers alike will all f*** up occasionally. That's the fun of it.

But we were spoiled twenty years ago. Purple Mundi, Jimmy Bo Horn on Dade, Troy Dodds, Buddy Conner, Ree Flores, Bobby Hutton, Charles Johnson and many others were all bought for around the 6-10 quid mark, and when they were reasonably well known into the bargain. I feel sorry for young collectors now who really have very slim chances of either finding or being able to afford the big sounds of today.

I fear it will eventually kill the scene.

Social source share

Igot a bit of luck today Stateside demo of Shake a tail feather £1. & issue on Stateside 384 Carolyn Crawford nice & cheap at £15.00.not a bad day,i didnt have time to go through the rest on my lunch break but i did put them by for monday..

Social source share

I havent been to a car boot sale for years

So after reading through this thread last night

I decided to go to a car boot sale today.

I found

Cliff nobles and co...the horse on direction for 25p

The bloke doing the car boot stall

told me if i came down next week

he would bring all his soul and motown with him

i canna wait

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

My bargain of today The Pioneers "My Good Friend James" Mercury £15.

To me priceless.

Phil

Phil what's with it being on Mercury mine is on ICE and a very nice record it is too. If i get a chance i'll post up a scan later.

John

Mind you i paid a little more than £15 not much but a little ;o)

Social source share

Ice was Eddie Grant's own label, So i guess he released it first probably in Jamaica then it got a release in the UK on Mercury. This is just speculative guess work.

Phil

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Sounds about right Phil, pretty much what i figured too didn't like to presume though as i'm always getting it wrong LOL ;o)

John

Social source share

I'll let Kenny do the boot fairs as the last time I went I picked up:

Pick of the pops '73

Nice backgammon set (with 3 pieces missing)

Captain Scarlet annual '68 (some child had scribbled all over it)

a salad spinner ( which I left at the tea bar)

A pair of kukri knifes (which went rusty)

that's it..........

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Nice backgammon set (with 3 pieces missing)

Yeh thanks - that was a really nice birthday present last year ! LOL

My best finds have been at flea markets in Europe. I picked up about 12 beautiful picture covers for something like 30p each - Supremes, Dusty Springfield, Marvin Gaye in Amsterdam.

Social source share

Here's a couple, whilst my brain cells can still remember them..

George Freeman - Down & Out £1 - Croydon record fair

Why - the version not by Willie Mason, when it was 2nd known copy £1- Camden market.

Melvin Elling Lonely Eyes - 50 cents (not the hip hop star)

The Vows - Tell me - free, bought it from same shop in Chicago as Melvin, it jumped once so the owner gave it to me, got home cleaned played fine.

Tony - Did u get the bondage gear from the boot fair?

Social source share

Here's a couple, whilst my brain cells can still remember them..

George Freeman - Down & Out £1 - Croydon record fair

Why - the version not by Willie Mason, when it was 2nd known copy £1- Camden market.

Melvin Elling Lonely Eyes - 50 cents (not the hip hop star)

The Vows - Tell me - free, bought it from same shop in Chicago as Melvin, it jumped once so the owner gave it to me, got home cleaned played fine.

Tony - Did u get the bondage gear from the boot fair?

Yes!, I forgot about that only one carefree owner!

Social source share

Today I bought "IN LOVE" Tony Galla and the rising sons on Swan for £10. In a little 2nd hand record shop I'm so pleassed with myself.. rang Manship for advice to check it wasn't a boot and it's not.....

Yipppeeeeeeee

(this only ever happens to other people)

Social source share

Here's some Record & Tape Exchange bargains I've had over the years:

BOBBY SHEEN: Dr Love (UK Capitol demo) £9

CAJUN HART: Got To Find A Way (UK Warner Bros demo) £15

MARK LOYD: When I'm Gonna Find Her (UK Parlophone) £22

WILSON PICKETT: Let Me Be Your Boy (UK MGM demo) £37

THE N GROUP: Keep On Running (Wes Mar) £5

PLATTERS: Washed Ashore (UK Stateside G/W demo) £3

KIKI DEE: Why Don't I Run Away From You (UK Fontana) £3

MARVELETTES: I'll Keep Holding On (UK Tamla Motown demo) £30

LYNNE RANDELL: Stranger In My Arms (Aussie CBS) £15 (still got this one!!)

All this within a period of 20 years!!! There were loads more bargains (and still continue to be), but not all of them were soul.

Gene

Social source share

bargains all off ebay in the early days

RALPH GRAHAM SHE JUST SITS THERE $16

BONNIE HERMAN HUSH DON'T CRY CANADIAN COPY $3

JIMMY ELLEDGE SAD TOWN $28

TUBBS

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

BLOODY LATE YEAH BUT

DEL LARKS £8 (1973-A FORTUNE) FROM JACK BOLLINGTON, HE'D HAD IT OFF 45 PHILIPS FOR 6- 12 MONTHS LATER SWAPPED FOR LYNN VERNARDO SECOND HAND LOVE, LENNY CURTIS, CALIFORNIA IN CROWD ON FONTANA, KELL OSBOURNE ON NEW BAG (SMALL THINGS) AND SOME OTHER FORGOTTEN TREASURE. PT 2 OF DEL LARKS HAD A MASSIVE OFF CENTRE LABEL, WONDER WHAT BECAME OF THAT?

DARRELL BANKS OPEN THE DOOR ETC LONDON DEMO X 2 ONE WITH PRINTED DETAILS, ONE HAND WRITTEN, THESE WERE ORIG FROM JOHN ABBEY'S 'BOX'

FOR £1 EACH (PLUS ABOUT 1000 OTHER RARE ITEMS) JOHN MANSHIP BOUGHT ONE D BANKS FOR £70 OR £80 THE OTHER IS INTACT.

Social source share

lately within last couple of years

the other ones the two of us £80

brand new thousand years £100

michael valvano for the fist time in my life 2 copies issue and a promo $70 & $55

marquee revue what good tomorrow $70

chico vance ghost of your love $1.50 $7 with postage

sam dees lonely for you swapped for louis curry captivated

four tracks charade £125

bitter and the sweet 2 copies 1 at £125 1 at £75

rotations i cant find her 3 copies £100 $60 $40

kenny lewis whats her name £120

profiles windstorm/raindrops 2 copies $40 $12

janice sadler my baby's coming home 3 copies $70 $55 $30

berys hammond album on water lily 2 copies $10 $30

george freeman down and out issue £75

mostly of ebay

long time ago

betty lou and bobby adams free

herb ward honest to goodness issue free

off my brother

kenny smith lord whats happening issue 10p

flame and king ho happy day £1.50

rhonda davis 50p

marvin smith who will do your running £1

john bowie your gonna miss £1

ringleaders baby what has happened £3

lous curry captivated 10p it spent about 20 years in my crap box

heartsoppers album £3

california playboys album £5

channel 3 sweetest thing 50p

bessie banks dont you worry baby £1

ikettes 2 timing double dealing 25p sold for £15 when it was playe at wigan

most from stalls or junk shops a few from dealers

mark

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Had an unexpected surprise about 5 years ago whilst backpacking in Australia, walking home from my temping job one arvo' in Brisbane I stumbled across a little second hand record shop, found a few tasty 60's aussie only bits, but the real win was spotting a newly arrived box from the States. Anyway made a bit of a show about not being too excited and an hour later walked out with minters of Alex Brown 'Not responsible', Cool Sounds 'Who can I turn to', the ubiquitous Marcia Hines several Hotlanta and Philly int bits, all in all a haul of about 25 great records, at fifty cents a throw! I thought only old soulsters had vinyl fun like that, being only 26 at the time I thought I ruled! Strange where they turn up tho' ain't it?

Social source share

Technically (because it was free) my best was the UK Atlantic Vala Regan 'Fireman' CDKEND 169 which was pinned to a ceiling in a second hand record shop in Portobello Road. I asked the geezer behind the counter if I could buy it and he said it was mine if I could get it down. Luckily I had a spare Tony Rounce with me (in his lighter period) and hoisted him up on my shoulders from where he removed the said object.

Harboro' Horace

Social source share

Then again Frankie and Johnny was free but as it was unknown wasn't technically worth anything. And I couldn't embarass a fellow Soul Talker off list when he's not here to defend himself. He's in the Mexican desert sipping an ice cold cerveza and getting his lovely wife to rub more Este Lauder in.

Ady

Social source share

lately within last couple of years

bitter and the sweet  2 copies 1 at £125  1 at £75

Mark, your memory needs refreshing, the more expensive one was £150 and the £75 was only vg+ with a nasty scratch... and if you call them bargains, I picked them them up for 40p... LOL

My best bargain was Silhouettes for a quid and the Adventurers "Easy baby" for free. These were all less than two pounds:

Three Jades "Makes my world go round" Maurci

COD's "Coming back girl" Kellmac

Kelly Garret "Love's the only answer" Smash (2 issue copies)

Curly Moore "You don't mean" Sansu

Also got a mint Stateside demo of "Next in line", more than a few quid but less than £40 anyway.

... and some mates of mine got Purple Mundi & Bobby Reed for £2... phew...

Heikki 1

Social source share

hi heiki

i had the 150 one tony had the other one.

but i have had two other copies since then at the said 125 and 75.

memory is still pretty good for an old man :-))))).

tony traded the one with a scratch for 300.

dont know what it is worth my friend just bought a ferry brothers till morning comes dawnlight for £150 next day i found one for $14.00.

nice 70's if you do not know it.

cheers heiki

Social source share

Hello. I've been reading this site for a while now, and have only just got my arse into registration gear. I buy/listen mostly to 70's disco shite & not old man dreary northern.

Now that I've alienated half the board (especially Johnny) I thought I'd enter a few of my bargain buys (in UK Pounds):

Bobby Burns-I'm a lonely man/..Dreamer-Gamble (as opposed to local issue as B. Wilburn -2

Silk-Falling in love isn't easy-Decca-3

Bobby Raylov-If we can't be lovers - Lovinn- 20p

3rd Avenue Blues Band-..Got to be love/If you don't love me - Revue -free

Masterplan-Dance all night -Amani 30p

Maurice Long-I don't love you anymore - Cyclone 50p

Jive (Five) Fyve & Eugene Pitt- If I had a chance to love you - Decca -2

Brown Sugar-Game is over/Going through changes -Capitol -5 (Blacknight list)

Eddie Parker -Crying Clown -Triple B -50p

2 copies of Midnight-Keep on walking by-Ariola 20p & 50p

The Chants-I've been trying -Chipping Norton- 2

Little Jimmy Gandy-Not like the others -Roulette -80p

Wales Wallace- Forever and a day -Dakar -50p although I did get a parking ticket while in the shop, so not so much a bargain!!

and 2 bargains???...

The Minits-Still a part of me- MGM -90

The Patterson Twins-Gonna find a true love-Commercial -120

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Bobby Burns-I'm a lonely man/..Dreamer-Gamble (as opposed to local issue as B. Wilburn

Don't mean to be picky Mr Tomatoe but Bobby Burns is the one on CHANT and Bobby Wilburn is the one on Gamble and whilst the Chant release is the local one the Gamble isssue is the harder of the lot to find, so i believe ;o))

JoT

Social source share

Hi, Like this topic as it takes us back to another time another place, when tunes could be found for a few quid, i have had my moments in the past like Claude Huey - Why Would You Blow It ( Galaxy ) for £4.00, Reggie Alexander -It's Better ( Boss ) for i seem to remember £6.00 but Richie Andrews seems to think it was £20.00 what ever it turned out to be a very popular record for me at the gigs.

Melvin Davis - Find A Quiet Place ( Wheel City ) back in 1989 for £70.00 a few friends thought i was mad...lol now try finding one! i think he signed three copies out of 3,000 people back in March when he was over performing.

Andrea Henry - MGM Demo for £8.00 when it was a nothing record, Tempos - Diamond Jim for £12.00 way back.

But it was in the days when we all erned £80.00 lol.

Those were the days - Regards Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

''Don't mean to be picky Mr Tomatoe but Bobby Burns is the one on CHANT and Bobby Wilburn is the one on Gamble and whilst the Chant release is the local one the Gamble isssue is the harder of the lot to find, so i believe ;o))

JoT''

Johnny. You're absolutely spot on. I realised my typo error some time later. I was led to believe the Chant one is the rarer.

I heard Steve Davis play this once on Jazz FM London many moons ago just after I'd bought my copy. (A 2nd hand record in Boscombe nr Bournemouth)

Coincidentally a Voices f t Shadows list turned at the same time with a label scan of this on it. I spoke to Rod Dearlove at the time, who told me he'd purchased Steve's copy for him direct from the Chant label owner. He told me value wise it was 250-ish then, about 10 years ago.

Anyone know the value now for Chant or Gamble??

ATTN: BillytheBoot.....sorry but not for sale. However I do have a selling friend who might part with his copy. I'll keep you posted.....

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I like this one. Greetings from Canada. I have just found this forum so sorry if I am dragging up old discussions.

In the last couple of years I have found the following:

Moses Smith - Cotillion promo - $2 ( All prices Canadian $ )

Tony Middleton - Paris Blues Can. Polydor 75c

Jerry Naylor - City Lights - Sparton promo - $3

Ruby Winters - Better - Can Diamond - $3

2 copies of Mickie Champion off the same guy for $2 each

Linda Lloyd - Can. Columbia $2.50

Johnny Nash - What Kind Of Love - Can. Groove $3

Sammy Gaha - Right On - 50c!!!!!!!

The list goes on, some incredible records for next to nothing. The record fairs here also turn up great stuff that would sell for 25 to 50 quid over there and nothing costs more than $5!!! I never thought I would be rebuilding a collection when I emigrated but the wife is getting pissed off all over again at the vinyl that keeps arriving.

newer04

I also got the 1st Arthur Freeman - You Got Me Uptight on ebay. The guy had it at buy it now for $30US. He has 1 on now for buy it now $650.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert