Original Or Just Discovered First?

Jaco

Not done any research on this to confirm the position one way or another, but......

Was it the original recording that the scene embraced or was it just discovered first, for example:

Lenis Guess/Elsie Strong

Invitations/Toys

Doris Troy/Dee Dee Sharpe

Harold Melvin/Bob Kuban

James Barnett/Phillip Mitchell

Now I know that for some of the above it will be blindingly obvious which is the original, but you know what I mean, don't you?

What about some more in a similar vein.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not done any research on this to confirm the position one way or another, but......

Was it the original recording that the scene embraced or was it just discovered first, for example:

Lenis Guess/Elsie Strong

Invitations/Toys

Doris Troy/Dee Dee Sharpe

Harold Melvin/Bob Kuban

James Barnett/Phillip Mitchell

Now I know that for some of the above it will be blindingly obvious which is the original, but you know what I mean, don't you?

Apologies if I have missed something , but can you explain what recording unites the two artists ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

No

:thumbsup:

Come on, Pete.

Lenis Guess "Just ask me" - obvious stone cold classic and popularised as such. But was it later discovered that the version by Elsie Strong was the first recording of the track for example?

I'm not saying that this might be the best example but there are other versions of classic tracks and all I'm asking (in a cack handed manner) is whether or not some of the later discovered versions actually pre-date the better known version.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Come on, Pete.

Lenis Guess "Just ask me" - obvious stone cold classic and popularised as such. But was it later discovered that the version by Elsie Strong was the first recording of the track for example?

I'm not saying that this might be the best example but there are other versions of classic tracks and all I'm asking (in a cack handed manner) is whether or not some of the later discovered versions actually pre-date the better known version.

Ah I see!

Social source share

The more Uptempo version of "Get Out" LP only, Malc.

:unsure:

Sean

Thank you Master : I did not know BK had done a version ........ sheltered life you see :ohmy:

Malc Burton

Social source share

aint that maurice jackson , mark :ohmy:

bri pinch

Yes but no, but yes but no, but maybe Bri :P , The Album cut is a differant recording to the single and our man maurice sounds younger, so did he record it solo first or as an Independant, thats if it is Maurice is singing lead on the album or was it something I made up earlier :unsure:

Ill get mi coat

M.

Social source share

Yes but no, but yes but no, but maybe Bri :ohmy: , The Album cut is a differant recording to the single and our man maurice sounds younger, so did he record it solo first or as an Independant, thats if it is Maurice is singing lead on the album or was it something I made up earlier :unsure:

Ill get mi coat

M.

Maurice Jackson on Candlelite was the first recording. I think The Independents version and the Lakeside recording by Maurice are the same recording but a different mix (the backing vocals are mixed differently).

Social source share

These artist are all not too young!

Jackie Beavers Show, Karen Striblin, The Camaros, and The Continental Showstoppers.

continental showstoppers is 1970 i think.

you can figure out the jackie beavers vs. karen striblin given that they came out on the same label and one has an earlier catalog number.

i'm not sure when the camaros came out.

Social source share

Maurice Jackson on Candlelite was the first recording. I think The Independents version and the Lakeside recording by Maurice are the same recording but a different mix (the backing vocals are mixed differently).

Thanx Gareth, youve saved me diggin out the albulm cos Bri had me thinking Id dreamt they were different :unsure:

M.

Social source share

continental showstoppers is 1970 i think.

you can figure out the jackie beavers vs. karen striblin given that they came out on the same label and one has an earlier catalog number.

i'm not sure when the camaros came out.

Pretty sure The Camaros is first (and worst!).

Always end on a controversial note.

Social source share

:lol: I HAD THE CHEETER LP BEFORE I HERED HARROLD MELVIN HOWEVER IT WAS AT WIGAN THAT I FIRST HERED THE TRACK PLAYED AND THAT WAS HARROL M, I REMEMBER WE PUT BOB KUBINS VERSION ON A AMPEX MASTER TAPE MACHINE WE GOT FROM ISLAND RECORDS HOWEVER THE DISC CUTTER WAS NOT WORKING :D DAVE KIL
Social source share

In that case.....

Dana Valery / Simon & Garfunkel

.....yes it is!!! :yes::P:(

:D What is?

Anyway, Simon & Garfunkel must have been first 'cos on the Dana Valery version the line "You don't begin to comprehend" is spoken by Simon or Garfunkel, so presumably is taken from their earlier recording (which I haven't heard).

:lol: Dana Valery also recorded as The Singing Nun

Social source share

:D What is?

Anyway, Simon & Garfunkel must have been first 'cos on the Dana Valery version the line "You don't begin to comprehend" is spoken by Simon or Garfunkel, so presumably is taken from their earlier recording (which I haven't heard).

:lol:Dana Valery also recorded as The Singing Nun

" Waddyou talkin 'bout Willis ? "

The Singing Nun was ........

Jeanine Deckers ( October 17 , 1933 - March 29 , 1985 ) , was better known as The Singing Nun , JD was a Belgian nun , and a member under her given name of Sister Luc Gabriel , of the Dominican Fichermont Convent in Belgium . She became internationally famous in 1963 , as Soeur Sourire - Sister Smile - when she scored a hit with the song " Dominique " . In the English language world , she is mostly referred to as " The Singing Nun " .

Dana Valery is ........

Dana Valery Catalano ( born 1944 in Milan, Italy ) , also known as Dana Valery , and is a singer , actress and television performer , who started her career in the entertainment industry at the age of 16 in Johannesburg, South Africa . She emigrated from Italy in 1952 . She has performed on television , radio , Broadway and in live concert performances worldwide , She is the sister of singer Sergio Franchi .

" You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies " was recorded in 1967 with Paul Simon , who speaks the line " You don't begin to comprehend " on the recording .

Photograph below shows DV with Sandie Shaw and Marianne Faithfull : t'other two are of TSN

Malc Burton

post-5097-1244181291_thumb.jpg

post-5097-1244181313.jpg

post-5097-1244181447.jpg

post-5097-1244181291_thumb.jpg

post-5097-1244181313.jpg

post-5097-1244181447.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

i imagine harold melvin has to be the original, it charted here in the US on billboard R&B, an LP track by another artist is likely a cover.

Of course Bob, I wasn't saying Bob Kuban's was the original, I was just answering Malc Burton's question.

The Bob Kuban LP is full of covers.

:)

Sean

Social source share

The Singing Nun was ........

Jeanine Deckers ( October 17 , 1933 - March 29 , 1985 ) , was better known as The Singing Nun , JD was a Belgian nun , and a member under her given name of Sister Luc Gabriel , of the Dominican Fichermont Convent in Belgium . She became internationally famous in 1963 , as Soeur Sourire - Sister Smile - when she scored a hit with the song " Dominique " . In the English language world , she is mostly referred to as " The Singing Nun " .

Dana Valery is ........

Dana Valery Catalano ( born 1944 in Milan, Italy ) , also known as Dana Valery , and is a singer , actress and television performer , who started her career in the entertainment industry at the age of 16 in Johannesburg, South Africa . She emigrated from Italy in 1952 . She has performed on television , radio , Broadway and in live concert performances worldwide , She is the sister of singer Sergio Franchi .

" You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies " was recorded in 1967 with Paul Simon , who speaks the line " You don't begin to comprehend " on the recording .

Photograph below shows DV with Sandie Shaw and Marianne Faithfull : t'other two are of TSN

Malc Burton

I was waiting for someone to do a bit of diggin :huh:

All above is quite correct.

You just didn't unearth that Dana Valery also recorded, or at least perfomed, as "The Singing Nun" - just not the more superior one that recorded Dominique.

Trouble is I can't find the relevant article now either..

I remember thinking at the time that it sort of fitted with the natural healing and spiritual lifestyle that she has adopted now.

Maybe it was bollox - that'll teach me to try and be clever! :D

-Kev.

Social source share

Bobby Paris - Nightowl / Rightous Bros - Nightowl [ LP only ] , which came first ? Best ,Eddie

Rightous Brothers ''Night Owl'' came out on UK 45 - '65 (I think) on pink Pye

will dig it out and post a picture

Shute

Edited by shute
Social source share

Rightous Brothers ''Night Owl'' came out on UK 45 - '65 (I think) on pink Pye

will dig it out and post a picture

Shute

Yeah but Tony Allen's was recorded in 1955.

tonyallen.gif

Hello, this is Tony Allen. I was born Anthony Penia [pronounced Pan-yay] Allan in New Orleans on August 13, 1932, the son of Oscar and Johnie [Jo-nay] Allan. My mother was a Geechie, which is a French Creole, and my father was a mix of Indian and black. Music came from my mother's side of the family. She once played saxophone in The Sweethearts of Rhythm. Her brother was Frank Penia, who owned the Dew-Drop Inn, one of New Orleans's top R&B clubs in the '40s and '50s.

I learned to play piano in church when I was six. My friends used to call me sissy when they'd see me practicing, but I was determined to find my way in music someday. My father, who was a butcher, resented my musical ambitions--even after I started making records. I grew up in the Ninth Ward, not too far from Fats Domino's house, so I'd often go over and watch him play, and naturally he was an inspiration for me.

I came to Los Angeles for the first time in 1941 and went back home because I didn't like it. But my Uncle Frank sent me back out here to live with my Aunt Nila Love, who I came to call Mother because she was a great love of my life. I lost her during the Watts riots in 1965. I attended George Washington Carver High with Arthur Lee Maye and Eugene Church. Later I went to Jefferson High, where I knew Cornel Gunter and Bobby Freeman. Arthur introduced me to Jesse Belvin, who only lived a block away from me, on 41st Place and Long Beach Boulevard. We all became good friends.

tonyallen.jpg I recorded my first record when I was 14. It was called "Angel Child." [According to other sources, it was called "Strange One."] I recorded that song at Austin McCoy's backyard studio for a man named Emmett Jose, who released it on his label, Aries. If you can find that record today, I'd sure like to see it. Then I wrote "I'm Your Mojo Man" for Larry Brice [Tide Records] and "No One" for The Furys. I also sang with Big Jay McNeely's vocal group, Three Dots & a Dash.

Jesse Belvin is the one who took me out to Specialty Records and introduced me to Bumps Blackwell. While Jesse was taking care of business, I started playing around with the piano there, and Bumps came over and asked me if I was under contract. I said I wasn't, so he called me back not too long after that when he was having trouble with Jesse.

Nite owl was a name my 'mother" Nila had for me because I was always staying out late at night. I turned that phrase into a little song and recorded it on July 4, 1955, at Master Recorders in Hollywood, with The Chimes singing behind me, even though they were billed on the record as The Champs. The Chimes backed everybody on Specialty. They were Charles Jackson, David Cobb, Pookie Whooten and John Talbert.

The labels for that record got mixed up at Al Levine's pressing plant. I know this because I was working there at the time."I" was supposed to be the A-side, but when jocks played "I," they heard "Nite Owl" instead, and liked it. By the time [specialty owner] Art Rupe caught the error, "Nite Owl" was already a hit around town. I was pressing my own record at Levine's when Art called me up to say that it was a hit.

I went on the road with a lot of Specialty's top acts, like Little Richard, Eugene Church, Larry Williams, Wynona Carr, Lloyd Price and Clifton Chenier.

When I left Specialty I recorded for everybody. My cousin Buelah Mae and me recorded as The Cupids for Aladdin Records. I sang with The Jayos for Johnny Otis on his Dig label, and they backed me on my single there. I did a lot of stuff with Vernon Green's brother Jimmy; he was in my group at Bethlehem and Original Sound. Charles Wright was also in The Twilighters [bethlehem]. I kept making records right into the 1960s, but then other things kind of took me away from music.

But I've never stopped performing. Thanks to "Nite Owl" being such a big hit around Southern California and other parts of the country, I'm always singing somewhere these days. I've sung at five or six Doo-Wop Society shows. My favorite was the time Gaynel Hodge, Richard Berry, Eugene Church and I formed a vocal group together, a one-time-only group, and sang our asses off. We sang "Pretty Girls Everywhere," "Louie Louie," "Earth Angel," "Emily," some of Jesse Belvin's songs, and "Nite Owl" of course. Man, that was a night I'll never forget.

">
Social source share

Yeah but Tony Allen's was recorded in 1955.

Thanks for posting that info on Tony Allen, amazing to hear that first and great cut from 1955.

I wondered who the Tony Allen is, thats credited as the writter on Bobby Paris - Night Owl.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

:thumbsup: i think you are wrong and that its Howard Tate on Verve night owl not the same song :lol: DAVE KIL

No I'm not, it was a 'B' side, at the time only Guy Hennigan was the only one who also knew about it

Its faster than Bobby Paris

Cant locate the 45, if I sold it - it went to Adam Weaver when he purchased 100's 45s off me

Shute

Social source share

I was waiting for someone to do a bit of diggin :lol:

All above is quite correct.

You just didn't unearth that Dana Valery also recorded, or at least perfomed, as "The Singing Nun" - just not the more superior one that recorded Dominique.

Trouble is I can't find the relevant article now either..

I remember thinking at the time that it sort of fitted with the natural healing and spiritual lifestyle that she has adopted now.

Maybe it was bollox - that'll teach me to try and be clever! :thumbsup:

-Kev.

I have done a further search on Dana Valery , and as much as I wanted to go with your statement Kev , I could not find any reference to her being a / the Singing Nun .......

The only connection - and a long shot - is that to / of the 1966 film " The Singing Nun " , which is a semi-biographical film about the life of Jeanine Deckers ( The Singing Nun , who recorded the chart - topping hit song " Dominique " ) , which starred Debbie Reynolds in the title role .......

I cannot find any references as to whether DR sang the songs featured in the film : if she did not - was it Dana Valery who did ? if she did , this may be your connection Kev .........

Dana Calery did have a career change , but it was in later life , and not - as far as I can discover - to take Holy orders , which was to become a healer , and her main areas of expertisewere Reiki and hypnotherapy . She still practices in New York . As a part of her work in the healing arts , she has cowritten a collection of meditation music , based on the belief that there is a correlation between the twelve signs of the zodiac , and the twelve notes of the diatonic scale .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

No I'm not, it was a 'B' side, at the time only Guy Hennigan was the only one who also knew about it

Its faster than Bobby Paris

Cant locate the 45, if I sold it - it went to Adam Weaver when he purchased 100's 45s off me

Shute

I don't know when Guy was "the only other person who knew about it" but Bob Smith from nottingham was playing it in '74 until he could get a copy of the Bobby Paris version, he also played the Strawberry jam version of 'Per so nally' so that he cold be extra irritating!

best,

RB

Social source share

I have done a further search on Dana Valery , and as much as I wanted to go with your statement Kev , I could not find any reference to her being a / the Singing Nun .......

The only connection - and a long shot - is that to / of the 1966 film " The Singing Nun " , which is a semi-biographical film about the life of Jeanine Deckers ( The Singing Nun , who recorded the chart - topping hit song " Dominique " ) , which starred Debbie Reynolds in the title role .......

I cannot find any references as to whether DR sang the songs featured in the film : if she did not - was it Dana Valery who did ? if she did , this may be your connection Kev .........

Dana Calery did have a career change , but it was in later life , and not - as far as I can discover - to take Holy orders , which was to become a healer , and her main areas of expertisewere Reiki and hypnotherapy . She still practices in New York . As a part of her work in the healing arts , she has cowritten a collection of meditation music , based on the belief that there is a correlation between the twelve signs of the zodiac , and the twelve notes of the diatonic scale .

Malc Burton

She's referred to as the singing nun on an album of hers Malc.

Social source share

She's referred to as the singing nun on an album of hers Malc.

Please expand forther if you will Mr M ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert