2010-06-25: Bridlington Spa Northern Weekender #4

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

oh yes, Colin the Toff . eccentric is his middle name. . . . . . you shoulda seen his outfit at the last Metrodome !!! I'm sure he'll go one better at Brid hatsoff2.gif

I'll look forward to that then !!

Not long now to what is in my humble opinion the best weekender going sweatingbullets.gifg.gif

If Carlsberg did weekenders, ....... need I say more thumbup.gif

Dont forget Sterling McGee & Patti Drew need a trip to the seaside Mr W hatsoff2.gif

• Replies 558
  • Views 48.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Mart B

just wondering next round of the world cup saturday night if england do get through i for one would be looking to watch the match , has the spa got any plans ?

Last time i spoke with Rob he said they will have access to the theatre and has made provisions to show the game on a massive screen if needed.may not need it now though unless they get their act together on wednesday.

Last time i spoke with Rob he said they will have access to the theatre and has made provisions to show the game on a massive screen if needed.may not need it now though unless they get their act together on wednesday.

thanks for that saves looking for a pub showing it ! we`ll be there no worries :yes:

Cost too much money matesad.gif would have been ideal but at £6K and the current performances ...need I say more

however we have plans a foot and if England ARE playing saturday the game will be showing in the Spa-so no need to hide away in a pub with a long trek back to the Spa-I nearly told them to "Cancel that 60 inch Plasma !" with fridays showing, but the provision is there.

More when England qualify

ECSCSC

Cost too much money matesad.gif would have been ideal but at £6K and the current performances ...need I say more

however we have plans a foot and if England ARE playing saturday the game will be showing in the Spa-so no need to hide away in a pub with a long trek back to the Spa-I nearly told them to "Cancel that 60 inch Plasma !" with fridays showing, but the provision is there.

More when England qualify

ECSCSC

great news thanks rob :thumbsup:

JUST A REMINDER TO TELL PEOPLE NOT TO TRAVEL WITHOUT WEEKENDER TICKETS !

just seen 2 for sale on here if you are quick

Weather's going to be fantastic this weekend , waiting for England result tomorrow afternoonthumbsup.gif

if they qualify the game will be shown on Saturday evening in the Spa

COME ON ENGLAND !

ECSCSC

ACCOMMODATION (NEAR TO THE SPA) & 2 TICKETS

A personal friend of mine (not a member on here) has been taken into hospital and they now cannot make the weekender.

They have booked and paid a deposit of £40 (which they are happy to lose - your gain). Original cost was £30pp each night. With the deposit now paid, it will cost you £23pp each night (incl b/fast)

The accommodation is very near to the Spa. The room is a double with en-suite.

The booking is: Fri, Sat & Sun night (including breakfast). You only have a balance of: £140 to pay. (plus of course the 2 tickets at £20 each)

Anyone interested, please PM me, or ring me on: 07770777548

Thanks, Bridgey

PS: I work away and will try and get on line tonight and answer any PM's ASAP (or update this post)........ Many Thanks

HOT HOT HOT for the weekend !!!

Pyjama Party on Sunday Afternoon

Open Thursday evening for warm up

Open Friday afternoon for wristband exchange 1 til 5 with music

5 rooms of Soul

World Cup football if England win this afternoon !

Bring a box record fair / swap meet saturday afternoon £5 box tax in aid of BlueBell wood Hospice

19 Soul Music sessions over the weekend

All for £20

SOLD OUT DONT TRAVEL WITHOUT TICKETS

COUNTDOWN IS ON

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley

Any one posted a DJ schedule of who's on when and where or has it not been decided yet ? or I may have missed it on one of the earlier pages.

We won't be there until Saturday lunchtime and would like to see who we are missing on Friday Night

Also Sunday afternoon will be particularly interesting now that England are through.

Paul & Sue :sweatingbullets::thumbsup:

Any one posted a DJ schedule of who's on when and where or has it not been decided yet ? or I may have missed it on one of the earlier pages.

We won't be there until Saturday lunchtime and would like to see who we are missing on Friday Night

Also Sunday afternoon will be particularly interesting now that England are through.

Paul & Sue :sweatingbullets::thumbsup:

Any chance of the Modern Room line up for Saturday ?

I know Martin ( Cunnie ) " Nifty 50 " Dixon is on at some point , but who are t'others ?

Malc

Paul & Sue :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

no need for big plasma sat night now plan b for match,Sunday is sorted instead :D

Paul & Sue :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

DOH dont think thats worked send me a PM with your email addy ill send it you :D

post-4669-085577700 1277319817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naughty Boy

DOH dont think thats worked send me a PM with your email addy ill send it you :hatsoff2:

hi rob, hope everything is going okay with the organisation of the weekender. would it be possible if you send me a copy of the times? cheers rob

alex simms

Guest Northern PhanTom

Going to be a weekend to remember, soul, sunshine and oh yes "England V's Germany".:hatsoff2:

Bring it on :thumbsup:

Edited by Northern PhanTom

OI some of you SS'rs who do not know us come say hello we are on the door all weekend :thumbsup::Dbring a beer too :hatsoff2:

Rob

Do you not know that Wiggers has imposed a strict " no alcohol whilst on duty " policy Rob ?

Malc

Guest ktf mal

Hi.................................if anybody as a spare ticket for this..............................ring me.................. pm me...........................................kft mal :thumbsup:

Guest the dukester

hi rob, hope everything is going okay with the organisation of the weekender. would it be possible if you send me a copy of the times? cheers rob

alex simms

Rob send me a copy please I cant read that either ! lol

Dukesy

Hi.................................if anybody as a spare ticket for this..............................ring me.................. pm me...........................................kft mal :thumbsup:

If you PM "Rob" ......... Naughty Boy on here, he might be able to help?????..... Good Luck, hope you make it.

KTF............... Bridgey

well almost packed and ready ! .....not long to go .......Susan however will be having all day thursday to pack as always lol rolleyes.gif

pete n' susan KTF

well my darling thats because ive got alot to pack xxx :yes:

Edited by casper
Guest the dukester

Hi.................................if anybody as a spare ticket for this..............................ring me.................. pm me...........................................kft mal thumbsup.gif

ring my missus, we have one ticket, someone gave backword on one :yes:!!!

07900 990474

Edited by the dukester
Guest the dukester

DOH dont think thats worked send me a PM with your email addy ill send it you :thumbsup:

ph34r.gif Anyone got a clear copy of this, my eyes aint what they used to be :lol:

Edited by the dukester

first time @ 'bridd' for me and netty, wondered what all the fuss was about.

only managed to get there for the saturday due to work committments.

took longer to find a parking space than to drive up from skegg but when we got there found out 'tats' and hamsey were doing a just soul two-hour set in the 'club' room.....bonus!

the only problem with this was i knew (musically at least) the rest of the day would be 'down-hill'.

but, music aside, far from it, the five 'genre' rooms served bespoked soul and dance for each of the diverse taste 'groups' on this scene of ours.

if one was a bit 'tired' of one type then it was only a small walk to find another 'type' of soul to satisfy one's needs.

the main room a positive cathedral of latter years dedicated to the celebration of northern soul itself.

thought john vincent and pete taylor stole it for me sat evening, a lot of the tunes were predictable but none-the-less appropriate for the massive throng of appreciators of northern soul that had gathered to pay homage.

dee-jays playing to the floor, as it should be with the 'floor' reacting with both energy and passion.

the 'club' room, a chameleon changing styles as each 'club' representative took his or her turn, great adverts for those clubs and great variety in a room so small but packed with so much atmosphere.

the magic of my first bridlington was summed up while in the 'rare' room, dancing to Mick & Mo's selection of soul (as topper top draw as one could wish to open) while looking through the large window and watching the full moon rising over the sea, made one think of ancient times when people celebrated this event with beats and dance before the word 'moon' had ever been uttered (or any word for that matter).

a fantastic day, well done promoters, even the 'security' staff were so well mannered and efficient, nothing over-looked by you guys to make our experience so very, very good in deed.

just might try and make more than one day next year now we've found out just what all the fuss is actually about.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops

well put Coops.. 'spot' of the weekend for myself was Pat Brady on the sat night. John Vincent followed with some very very unpredictable tunes ...... 'The Zoo' & 'I love music' being two of them. refreshing to hear both played :lol:

We'll see ya's all next year hatsoff2.gif:lol:

p.s. was a pleasure to meet and chat with 'Phoenix' , a lovely guy who enjoys his music

IAN.

Edited by parkash

Just returned from my first Bridsoul weekender, my thoughts as follow for any interested, apologies for the length of em

Excellent venue, organisation, everything really. As previously stated, even the security were laid back and chatty/willing to have the craic with you. Told me they'd love to work at do's like this fulltime, never a penn'arth of bother.

On a personal note, and please this is no criticism of the organisers, i prefer more subdued lighting. I like to be a silhouette getting into my own private tryst with the greatest style of music ever, eyes closed, singing to myself, in much darker rooms, whereas especially on the Saturday night i think it was lighter inside than i've ever seen in a venue. Again, not a criticism, someone stated that perhaps someone had commented that the vendors on the balcony had thought the lighting too low on the Friday, so perhaps it was a response to that. You certainly cant please all the people all of the time, but Rob, Karen et al certainly succeeded more than most. Maybe just me being a bit shy and self conscious, although there are some of us about.

The heat inside also, but that's down to me (memo to self - lose 3 stone before next year!) I came off the dance floor like an alka seltzer, the Sat afty sesh was good as a door leading to the beach was open for some respite, I politely asked the doorman if he may enquire with his gaffer if it could be left open for the night do, but probably H&S or fire regs against it, or the danger of ne'er do wells attempting entry without paying.

The variety of rooms worked well, i just came off the floor in the main room after The Impressions - 'you've been cheating', went into the rare/underplayed room and Dave Ferguson played the Hyperions - cue another sweatfest on the dancefloor.

There were queues at the bars, but think feedback from previous years had been listened to as there were helpful staff directing people to bars in nearby rooms with smaller queues

I missed Wigan by a whisker, my first 'proper' nighters were when me and a mate used to hitch-hike fortnightly to Clifton Hall, so I am sure i have missed seeing some brilliant dancers, but there was a fella dancing in the main room over the 3 days who was the best i have ever seen. I thought it may have been that Carl Piper chap who i have never met but seen on You tube, but this bloke looked a lot younger. There were many great dancers at the event, acrobats, perpetual motion, spinners etc, but this bloke was something else, his moves were almost choreographed, fluid and like poetry. Over the years i have always complimented people whose moves I admire, glad to say this chap was very modest and for the rest of the weekend we were on smiling and greeting terms, another good thing about the scene.

Would definately go again, haven't been to a weekender since Fleetwood and Cleethorpes ~10 years ago, will certainly try some more, and be back at Brid for seconds.

Congrats and thanks to all, very easy to look for fault but without these folks giving so much of their time, events like this wouldn't exist

Just returned from my first Bridsoul weekender, my thoughts as follow for any interested, apologies for the length of em

Excellent venue, organisation, everything really. As previously stated, even the security were laid back and chatty/willing to have the craic with you. Told me they'd love to work at do's like this fulltime, never a penn'arth of bother.

On a personal note, and please this is no criticism of the organisers, i prefer more subdued lighting. I like to be a silhouette getting into my own private tryst with the greatest style of music ever, eyes closed, singing to myself, in much darker rooms, whereas especially on the Saturday night i think it was lighter inside than i've ever seen in a venue. Again, not a criticism, someone stated that perhaps someone had commented that the vendors on the balcony had thought the lighting too low on the Friday, so perhaps it was a response to that. You certainly cant please all the people all of the time, but Rob, Karen et al certainly succeeded more than most. Maybe just me being a bit shy and self conscious, although there are some of us about.

The heat inside also, but that's down to me (memo to self - lose 3 stone before next year!) I came off the dance floor like an alka seltzer, the Sat afty sesh was good as a door leading to the beach was open for some respite, I politely asked the doorman if he may enquire with his gaffer if it could be left open for the night do, but probably H&S or fire regs against it, or the danger of ne'er do wells attempting entry without paying.

The variety of rooms worked well, i just came off the floor in the main room after The Impressions - 'you've been cheating', went into the rare/underplayed room and Dave Ferguson played the Hyperions - cue another sweatfest on the dancefloor.

There were queues at the bars, but think feedback from previous years had been listened to as there were helpful staff directing people to bars in nearby rooms with smaller queues

I missed Wigan by a whisker, my first 'proper' nighters were when me and a mate used to hitch-hike fortnightly to Clifton Hall, so I am sure i have missed seeing some brilliant dancers, but there was a fella dancing in the main room over the 3 days who was the best i have ever seen. I thought it may have been that Carl Piper chap who i have never met but seen on You tube, but this bloke looked a lot younger. There were many great dancers at the event, acrobats, perpetual motion, spinners etc, but this bloke was something else, his moves were almost choreographed, fluid and like poetry. Over the years i have always complimented people whose moves I admire, glad to say this chap was very modest and for the rest of the weekend we were on smiling and greeting terms, another good thing about the scene.

Would definately go again, haven't been to a weekender since Fleetwood and Cleethorpes ~10 years ago, will certainly try some more, and be back at Brid for seconds.

Congrats and thanks to all, very easy to look for fault but without these folks giving so much of their time, events like this wouldn't exist

I can see love developing there mate :rolleyes: ....

Great feedback... I will be at Brid for the first time next year, god willing of course :thumbsup:

Guest proudlove

I can see love developing there mate :rolleyes: ....

Great feedback... I will be at Brid for the first time next year, god willing of course :thumbsup:

Do it Steve.........................first time for us,cracking venue,people music etc.....................we booked out of the Hotel.....................and booked straight back in for next year.

Steve.

Source Advert