2010-06-25: Bridlington Spa Northern Weekender #4

I can see love developing there mate biggrin.gif ....

Great feedback... I will be at Brid for the first time next year, god willing of course :lol:

your right little steve great venue and people,you are right it was carl piper,i do look you for my age ,52,but then i never had a paper round when i was a kid,lol,its the northren soul that keeps me fit,ktf,thanks for the compliment,:thumbsup: never had dance lessons,its all from the heart listening to the music,carl,emsc,,,:rolleyes:

• Replies 558
  • Views 48.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just like to say had a great weekend at Brid the music was blinding from start to finish I have never drunk so much in my life:beer: what a weekend. The only thing I would have liked to see would have been a monday chill out till about 3 oclock or something but then again I suppose the lads have got a take the gear down after and mess about. But anyway will deffo be back. :rolleyes::thumbsup:wink.gif

Just arrived home from the weekender. We don't wish to appear totally negative as this has to be the best weekender we have attended over the last ten years (attended all), but feel certain aspects of the weekender just weren't quite right. We feel that the promoters of this event will hopefully take these issues on board and try their utmost to deal with their punters feedbacks. Hullsoul mentioned the lighting, totally agree with his comments. The lighting was way too bright at times, and we are sure this had an effect regarding the dance floor and atmosphere.

The weekender provided 5 rooms of various soul music, as stated by Mick. Being mainly into the 'northern' music and only really interested in the main room, we felt quite disappointed in the choice of music played in the main room at times by certain DJ's and felt that perhaps they were in the wrong room lol.:no: If a venue offers such a variety of soul music, which Brid does, then why play i.e modern/crossover, r n b etc in a main room where mostly punters would prefer to hear 100% northern only. If we wanted to hear such music then surely we could have easily taken ourselves to whichever room we decided to frequent. If a venue only has one room then this is totally acceptable as everyone is entitled to hear the music of their choice.

As far as the bars were concerned, we felt that perhaps a soft drinks vending machine would not have gone amiss at times and surely would have helped the overworked staff behind the bars. As mentioned previously, never come across a more friendly bunch of security/doormen in this scene:hatsoff2:they even mentioned that they were beginning to get the hang of the dancing

Jo & Dave

your right little steve great venue and people,you are right it was carl piper,i do look you for my age ,52,but then i never had a paper round when i was a kid,lol,its the northren soul that keeps me fit,ktf,thanks for the compliment,:thumbsup: never had dance lessons,its all from the heart listening to the music,carl,emsc,,,:rolleyes:

Then Carl, it was a pleasure to have made your aquaintance - hope our paths cross again soon.

My sons are into 'street dance', which to be fair, is of their generation and again, improvised to the extent you have to give it credit, but by hell, I wish they could have seen you and some of the others over the weekend, that'd stop them taking the **** out of me when i go off to nighters.

Cheers

Andy from Hull

Well that's Brid confirmed as the best weekender on the calendar now bar none IMO.

Simply the best weekender I have ever done without doubt & there's one thing I do know having spoken to the 2 Rob's & Pat - Next year will be even better.

Will post more of a review later & some of the stuff I played on the 3 nights in the Modern room later when my old bones have recovered from the journey.

PS, Thanks to all of you especially Shelley for the birthday surprise on Saturday night.

Guest Phoenix8049

well put Coops.. 'spot' of the weekend for myself was Pat Brady on the sat night. John Vincent followed with some very very unpredictable tunes ...... 'The Zoo' & 'I love music' being two of them. refreshing to hear both played :thumbsup:

We'll see ya's all next year :thumbsup::lol:

p.s. was a pleasure to meet and chat with 'Phoenix' , a lovely guy who enjoys his music

IAN.

Great to meet you two also Debbie & Ian.

Maybe get to meet Mr Tinkles next time.

Well what can i say, Venue was unbelievable. I take my hat off to Rob and Karen for so much hard work they must have put in to this.

Everything was just right.

All the Staff were very friendly and went out of there way to help everybody.

The atmosphere was spot on.

All the crowd were very friendly and appreciative,it felt like an extended family to me.

So good to catch up with some old friends i have not seen for years,and meet many new ones too.

Got my Hotel already booked for next year,now all i need is a ticket.

Stu.

Just arrived home from the weekender. We don't wish to appear totally negative as this has to be the best weekender we have attended over the last ten years (attended all), but feel certain aspects of the weekender just weren't quite right. We feel that the promoters of this event will hopefully take these issues on board and try their utmost to deal with their punters feedbacks. Hullsoul mentioned the lighting, totally agree with his comments. The lighting was way too bright at times, and we are sure this had an effect regarding the dance floor and atmosphere.

The weekender provided 5 rooms of various soul music, as stated by Mick. Being mainly into the 'northern' music and only really interested in the main room, we felt quite disappointed in the choice of music played in the main room at times by certain DJ's and felt that perhaps they were in the wrong room lol.no.gif If a venue offers such a variety of soul music, which Brid does, then why play i.e modern/crossover, r n b etc in a main room where mostly punters would prefer to hear 100% northern only. If we wanted to hear such music then surely we could have easily taken ourselves to whichever room we decided to frequent. If a venue only has one room then this is totally acceptable as everyone is entitled to hear the music of their choice.

As far as the bars were concerned, we felt that perhaps a soft drinks vending machine would not have gone amiss at times and surely would have helped the overworked staff behind the bars. As mentioned previously, never come across a more friendly bunch of security/doormen in this scenehatsoff2.gifthey even mentioned that they were beginning to get the hang of the dancing

Jo & Dave

well got to agree with these comments to,but hey its one hell of a venue,well done the promoters,hope you all got home safely,see you at kirkby,ktf,carl,,,,

:thumbsup::lol:

"Just a Quickie" Whilst im still up here on the east coast recovering from yet another marathon weekend , thought i would just drop in to thank all registered soul-sourcers and board guests that attended this weekend.

As a co promotor of this event we welcome all negative and positive comments with regard to this promotion

just to give a quick response to a few what some, feel could be a little negtive

lighting whilst i also thought it could have been a tad darker and indeed will be for the next as we appreciate a few like it darker for various reason, The lighting system is operated on presets , however one of the circuit presets was faulty and the contractors failed to resolve the fault on fri before we kicked off (the preset in involved controlled the art decor lights either side of the stage)

Music. with five dedicated rooms to cater for all tastes, the main Hall caters for Northern,60ts 70ts and current movers and shakers ,yes on the odd occasion a DJ can step over the line on the odd record that should be left for the other rooms

Bars, a few Q's built up, this is sadly out of our control however our cocerns were voiced and was caused by some bar staff knocking on the Fri evening

One negative for me was soul sourcers not all mind to coming to say hello who we do not know :thumbsup: oooh well next time

more later

Rob

Guest Barry Holland

First time at Brid for me and the mrs, and wow, we both had a great time. :lol: Great Venue, great music and great people to share it all with. :thumbsup: Whatever kind of soul you like there is something for you. Enjoyed the main room, then second was the club room, great sounds in both for me. Let me know the times you are on next time, Cunnie, and i will try to get to see you (and no, i'm not joking). Congratulations to everyone involved in the promotion of this great event. :thumbsup: See you all next year, Barry and Ann, KGB, KTF.:yes: :yes:

Excellent weekend and a better value weekender you will not find. Find it hard to believe people are critical of the music in the main room. From what I heard it never moved out of the late 60's and early 70's, i.e it was strictly traditional northern soul. It does not have to be 100mph to be acceptable as a northern record or were these people never at cleethorpes in the mid to late 70's? Moving on, the best room for me was the Modern room which was electric from the word go. A great cross section of modern was on show covering anything from 1970 to 2010 and all the different spectres were covered: - jazz, two step, garage and modern classics. I was looking round at a packed dance floor and have never seen as many happy faces, all dancing to the new Kenny Thomas Drizabone production (title lost in my limited memory banks) totally new to me but its gonna be as big as Crazy World . All the dJ,s really put some imagination, effort and passion into their sets but special credit should go out to John Kane for his unrivalled tireless work behind the decks and for raising the flagging crowd for a brilliant last hour on Saturday night. Nice to meet old friends and new in a fantastic atmosphere. Keep up the good work ECSC you are a credit to our music. KTF Paul & Ann

Guest rushden

G'day , I am more dead than alive after one ot the best week enders that i have had the pleasure to be part off. A big thanks to have been given the opportunity to D'J with YOCKIE ( what a moment in time for me ) a man who lives and breaths passion! A massive thanks to all off you fantastic soulies who made me so very welcome . A long way to come from Brisbane but already in my diary to be back next year can't wait . Any one not done a brid take a tip and do 2011 if ya dissapointed go see Yockie he will buy u a drink as he can now afford it. See u in 2011 best Johnny red pants Ps hope to see some of u in Orlando ( soul trip usa )

Guest alfroggy

What another cracker of a weekend, really enjoyed every minute thanks to all organisers and Dj's [special thanks to Bridgey/Linda] same number of tickets for next year mate,the music in every room fantastic,I may have over did it abit and damaged the knee but who care's great weekend great company and what a venue glad bridvirgins from Preston enjoyed the weekend they all came back tanned up and smiling regardless of Sunday's game [why what happened]....looking forward to Bridlington 2011 thanks again Froggy

Guest veep1296

G'day , I am more dead than alive after one ot the best week enders that i have had the pleasure to be part off. A big thanks to have been given the opportunity to D'J with YOCKIE ( what a moment in time for me ) a man who lives and breaths passion! A massive thanks to all off you fantastic soulies who made me so very welcome . A long way to come from Brisbane but already in my diary to be back next year can't wait . Any one not done a brid take a tip and do 2011 if ya dissapointed go see Yockie he will buy u a drink as he can now afford it. See u in 2011 best Johnny red pants Ps hope to see some of u in Orlando ( soul trip usa )

Hey up John,

Kev , Bev , Janet & i were well surprised to bump in to you!

We too enjoyed the weekend...thanks for your support in the "Rare & Underplayed " room.

Will see you in Florida next year if not before.

Have a safe trip back down under.

Regards

David & Janet xx

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Well what a great weekend, really enjoyed it and looking forward to next year already.

Some good points, I liked the idea of the trader's stalls being on the balcony, more room to maneouver in the main hall which made it better for the traffic flow. There was no real complaints about the music over the weekend, I never made it into the Modern Room but certainly enjoyed all the others. Later on in the Club room it was reminiscent of the nights gone by prior to the introduction of air-conditioning !! It certainly made you appreciate the air-con in the main hall :hatsoff2:

The wristbands were a major improvement, the cloth definitely held up better than the previous issues. The Motown room on Saturday afternoon could have done with a couple of tables back towards the bottle bar as I'm always a bit concerned that I might kick over my beer over in the rush to get onto the dance floor !!!

Highlight of the weekend was the Motown Room, 5 hours of quality tunes so credit to all the DJ's involved. I know that Mort & Yocky did a set but who were the two gents that double decked before them ? Some really rare & underplayed records got an airing that afternoon & a great time was had by all. I bet there isnt a play-list though !!!

However towards the end of the afternoonsession a young lady appeared in the Motown Room & proceeded to give such a display of dancing that it literally took my breath away. I have seen quite a few excellent female dancers over the years but last Saturday afternoon I saw someone who was in so much harmony with the music that for once words failed me !!

Information gleaned at the time revealed her name was Mary-Lou ??? I never got the chance to thank her in person but any readers that know her please pass on my thanks.:lol:

The Mexican restaurant was also a great find, especially the "Early-Bird" menu before 6pm :ohmy:

Again all credit to the organisers for another great job, I (We) shall return in 2011

Dave

PS Mr Wigley, when you finally catch up with yourself please EM me with your private EM address. As & when you get around to designing the 2011 flyer, I'll help out with distribution around this neck of the woods.

PPS If Carlsberg did weekenders, .............................................. Well you know the rest :lol:

What a fantastic weekend!!!!! you would have to be really picky to find fault !!!!

My only complaint was there was'nt enough time to listen to all the great music in every room, on occasion I found myself in the doorway between two rooms, listening for the best option :lol:

We spent most of our time in the rare room, some fantastic music played, lighting was dark and dirty,...and never had to queue at the bar for more than a few minutes.

See you all next year

:hatsoff2:

Edited by soulsteve

Got home this afternoon (Mon 28th Jun), after nipping up the road to Scarborough to book the accommodation for The October Weekender and we are both totally Knackered!!!!

This has got to have been the best weekender we have ever attended. It seems to go from strength to strength, just gets better every year.

Stayed in the Main Room for almost all the weekend apart from popping into the Rare Room from time to time. Only negative we have about the rare room was: We bloody missed John Parker's Set...... Absolutely Gutted. Heard from friends it would have blown my head off and I know it would. (I'll be setting my alarm for his Dj times in the Rare room at Scarborough).

It was fantastic to meet up with friends from; (too many names to mention) but places such as: Burnley, Preston, Southport, Burscough, Accrington, Manchester, Coventry, Nottingham, Jersey, Leeds, Bradford, Blackpool, Northampton..... and a load more places I have already forgot. The highlight of meeting up with friends was when a guy came up to me when I was DJ-in at the last hour (Fri Night) in the Main Room saying he knew me. When I asked his name "Tony Rocco" he replied; Well, I haven't seen Tony for 35 years. He said I haven't changed!! Tony, if your on here, go to Spec Savers Mate.... LOL But it was really nice to see you again and your still as nifty on the feet as you where back in our youth.

Mega Thanks to: Rob, Rob & Pat for putting on the "Best Weekender Ever"..... IMHO. and total respect to Yocky.

See you all next year or before in Scarborough if you make it.

KTF.............................. Bridgey & Linda

Edited by Bridgey

"Just a Quickie" Whilst im still up here on the east coast recovering from yet another marathon weekend , thought i would just drop in to thank all registered soul-sourcers and board guests that attended this weekend.

As a co promotor of this event we welcome all negative and positive comments with regard to this promotion

just to give a quick response to a few what some, feel could be a little negtive

lighting whilst i also thought it could have been a tad darker and indeed will be for the next as we appreciate a few like it darker for various reason, The lighting system is operated on presets , however one of the circuit presets was faulty and the contractors failed to resolve the fault on fri before we kicked off (the preset in involved controlled the art decor lights either side of the stage)

Music. with five dedicated rooms to cater for all tastes, the main Hall caters for Northern,60ts 70ts and current movers and shakers ,yes on the odd occasion a DJ can step over the line on the odd record that should be left for the other rooms

Bars, a few Q's built up, this is sadly out of our control however our cocerns were voiced and was caused by some bar staff knocking on the Fri evening

One negative for me was soul sourcers not all mind to coming to say hello who we do not know laugh.gif oooh well next time

more later

Rob

:thumbsup:well said and sorted rob,ktf,carl,emsc,,, :thumbup:

What a great time we had. Team Tarn there in its glory, just to say we all missed our dear friend Rammer and Di , dig in there mate we are all rooting for you and see you at Brid 2011. Really honoured to be asked to play at Bridlington Weekender absolutely loved it. The bonus being with our dear friend from Oz Johnny Redpants (one for the memory book) The quality of the music was first class across all the rooms as has been said before something for everyone. Well done Rob , Rob and Pat.

Great to meet up with all the soul family we all share, adding some more people to it this weekend . Wonderful to see everyone.

Just to congratulate Elnel on being the new world record holder of setting smoke detector off most times in one night !!!!!

Hey them Brandy sisters on Sunday. Like the new three barrels Tommy tippy cups lol.

Well roll on next June and we can do it all again.

Love to you all Jx and Yocky

Edited by soulcrew

The weekender provided 5 rooms of various soul music, as stated by Mick. Being mainly into the 'northern' music and only really interested in the main room, we felt quite disappointed in the choice of music played in the main room at times by certain DJ's and felt that perhaps they were in the wrong room lol.:no: If a venue offers such a variety of soul music, which Brid does, then why play i.e modern/crossover, r n b etc in a main room where mostly punters would prefer to hear 100% northern only. If we wanted to hear such music then surely we could have easily taken ourselves to whichever room we decided to frequent. If a venue only has one room then this is totally acceptable as everyone is entitled to hear the music of their choice.

As far as the bars were concerned, we felt that perhaps a soft drinks vending machine would not have gone amiss at times and surely would have helped the overworked staff behind the bars. As mentioned previously, never come across a more friendly bunch of security/doormen in this scene:hatsoff2:they even mentioned that they were beginning to get the hang of the dancing

Jo & Dave

Hi people, just waned toad tat after seing te length of the queue on friday nighti wandered into the cafe, and was served immediately with three bottles of ****., thus avoidin massive queues all weekend.Thanks to Karen , and the other peeps on h door who workeda production line welcomin and wristbanding new arrivals. You obviously worked your arses off all weekend yet retained kindness civility and patience with everyone. you must need a holiday

or a (big fat paycheque ) after that marathon . as you surely deserve one.Had a great time despite heatstroke, insomnia, dehydration , sunburn, windburn ,earburn and sherburn.all rooms had their own character this year. the r&b room on friday night drew me back again and agin. loved it .

JUST GOTTA CONGRATULATE THE PROMOTERS OF THIS EVENT FOR A JOB VERY TRULY WELL DONE. EVEN ON BOOKING THE TRULY STUNNING WEATHER. T'ONLY DOWNSIDE OF THE WHOLE WEEKEND WAS ABYSSMAL FOOTBALL (ALLEDGEDLY) PERFORMANCE, WHICH IM TOLD WAS OUT OF OUR VERY FRIENDLY PROMOTERS HANDS. PERSONALLY, IF CARLSBERG, AND I'M SURE THIS HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE.....DID WEEKENDERS, THEN I'M SURE THIS WOULD BE IT COZ I HAD A COMPLETE BLAST FROM START TO FINISH. STRANGE THO' HOW YOU STILL HEAR A FEW NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT MUSIC POLICY IN THE MAIN ROOM WHICH TO ME WAS JUST ABOUT RIGHT. NEXT WE'LL HAVE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT PLAYING 1,000 QUID RECORDS IN THE CLUB ROOM AND 30 QUID RECORDS IN THE RARE ROOM AND AS FOR THE LIGHTING...... :thumbup: AS I SAID I HAD THE TIME O ME LIFE, DIGS ARE ALREADY BOOKED FOR NEXT YEAR, AS THEY ARE ALREADY BOOKED FOR SCARBORO IN OCTOBER WHICH PROMISES TO BE ANOTHER TREMENDOUS EVENT. hatsoff2.gif

ATB, BRI PINCH.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH BRI'S COMMENTS - WELL DONE TO ROB,PAT, ROB & ALL THE PROMOTION TEAM FOR YET ANOTHER FANTASTIC WEEKEND OF SOUL:hatsoff2:

OVER THE COURSE OF THE WEEKEND I CHECKED OUT ALL ROOMS, WHICH WERE ALL WELL SUPPORTED AND SOME GREAT MUSIC BEING PLAYED.

ROLL ON 2011 :thumbup:

PETE

Do it Steve.........................first time for us,cracking venue,people music etc.....................we booked out of the Hotel.....................and booked straight back in for next year.

Steve.

I need a total rebuild today after 3 fantastic days of quality soul music.....Im so glad I took the week off work to recover.

I just didnt think that the 2010 event could match last year .....but it was even better!

Had a continous tour across all of the rooms and all DJ's played excellent spots, but the main hall really does it for me.

The atmosphere and the music is still the closest I ever get these days to the the 70's nighter scene.

Just got to note Eddie Wainwrights spot on Sunday night which totally blew me away.

The two Robs and Pat should be really proud of themselves for organising this event, I dont envy all of the hard work that must go into it, but keep it up fellas because life just wouldnt be the same without it.

Best

Martin

JUST GOTTA CONGRATULATE THE PROMOTERS OF THIS EVENT FOR A JOB VERY TRULY WELL DONE. EVEN ON BOOKING THE TRULY STUNNING WEATHER. T'ONLY DOWNSIDE OF THE WHOLE WEEKEND WAS ABYSSMAL FOOTBALL (ALLEDGEDLY) PERFORMANCE, WHICH IM TOLD WAS OUT OF OUR VERY FRIENDLY PROMOTERS HANDS. PERSONALLY, IF CARLSBERG, AND I'M SURE THIS HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE.....DID WEEKENDERS, THEN I'M SURE THIS WOULD BE IT COZ I HAD A COMPLETE BLAST FROM START TO FINISH. STRANGE THO' HOW YOU STILL HEAR A FEW NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT MUSIC POLICY IN THE MAIN ROOM WHICH TO ME WAS JUST ABOUT RIGHT. NEXT WE'LL HAVE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT PLAYING 1,000 QUID RECORDS IN THE CLUB ROOM AND 30 QUID RECORDS IN THE RARE ROOM AND AS FOR THE LIGHTING...... :thumbup: AS I SAID I HAD THE TIME O ME LIFE, DIGS ARE ALREADY BOOKED FOR NEXT YEAR, AS THEY ARE ALREADY BOOKED FOR SCARBORO IN OCTOBER WHICH PROMISES TO BE ANOTHER TREMENDOUS EVENT. hatsoff2.gif

ATB, BRI PINCH.

post-4669-060577800 1277812255_thumb.jpg:lol: here you are

post-4669-060577800 1277812255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naughty Boy

post-4669-060577800 1277812255_thumb.jpg:lol: here you are

Great,R & B & Rare rooms downside it finished. Great to see people you haven't seen in the year from the previous year' if you you could bottle the passion in this venue HiniKican would be back in business, forgive the spelling. They don't put it on footie shirts.

John Moffit made it form in the R & B 100% class. Well done to Pat Bradey & ROb who bug avdvitar is :thumbup: SWAT! Same again Next Year

Andy & Mel

Great,R & B & Rare rooms downside it finished. Great to see people you haven't seen in the year from the previous year' if you you could bottle the passion in this venue HiniKican would be back in business, forgive the spelling. They don't put it on footie shirts.

John Moffit made it form in the R & B 100% class. Well done to Pat Bradey & ROb who bug avdvitar is :lol: SWAT! Same again Next Year

Andy & Mel

Eyup Philly Dog

Thanks very much for the mention. The word seemed to have got round about the Hipster (R&B/Mod) Room, and the turnout was fantastic. It was great to be able to play to a totally wonderful crowd. And I know that Eddie, Gav, Dukesy, Doug and even old Mojo Lakin himself had a total ball (apologies I've missed anyone off). I'd like to thank everyone who made some very kind and encouraging comments. If I'm invited back, I'll certainly give it some wellie again next year.

The whole weekend was top-drawer, and Rob and Co. deserve all the credit they receive. Good on yer. There can't be a better venue anywhere, can there? Brilliant! For me personally, the Rare & Underplayed room was just awsome. I don't remember hearing a duff track in there.

Thanks again

John M.

OMG, IT'S TUESDAY AND I'M STILL BUZZIN'!!!!

HAD A BRILLIANT TIME. GREAT VENUE, GREAT FRIENDS AND FANTASTIC MUSIC ALL WASHED DOWN WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF LAGER!!!!!! :thumbup:

ENOUGH NORTHERN AS YOU COULD POSSIBLY WANT IN THE MAIN ROOM, WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF SOME BANGING R & B UPSTAIRS. AND THE JEWEL IN BRIDS CROWN WAS THE RARE AND UNDERPLAYED ROOM. WHERE ELSE CAN YOU LISTEN TO SOME WONDERFUL SOUL 'GEMS' WHILE AT THE SAME TIME ENJOYING A PANORAMIC VIEW OF THE HARBOUR AND THE SEA?

KEPT GOING RIGHT UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT WHEN I COULDN'T BELIEVE I HEARD PAULETTE, FRED AND THE TURBINES AND STORMY WYNTERS ALL WITHIN THE SPACE OF HALF AN HOUR

WELL DONE THE PROMOTORS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK

BOOKED ALREADY FOR NEXT YEAR....................... BRING IT ON !:lol:

Absolutely fantastic week end. Musically everything and more that you could wish for. Great company and so many smiling faces. A big thumbs up to Mr Wicks, Wigley & Brady and all who were involved in putting this incredible event together.

Looking forward to next year already.

Don

My first visit to Bridlington and I intend that it won't be my last. Absolutely top class music and the company was good too.

Thanks to Dave and Tara Swift for driving me there and back, most good of you, picked up at 8am on Friday, arrived there at about 3.30pm, stopped for lunch in Beverley. Decent guest house, and excellent weather.

The Spa is a good venue, and all the rooms had decent dance floors, sometimes when there is more than one room the dance floors aren't up to the mark, but these were good.

I spent most of my time in the rare and underplayed room, the sort of soul music I particularly enjoy. A few of my friends were doing sets but I didn't know most of the DJs. Mick and Mo did a great Crossover set on Saturday night. So many records that I like were played, all my good intentions of not dancing too much went out the window, hope I wasn't too embarrassing.

Dave and I went down to the Club room on Saturday afternoon to see the Just Soul guys as we're going up there in a couple of weeks, they played a nice set of Crossover and Modern with the inclusion of Barbara Lewis's Hello Stranger, good to hear that out these days.

After the rare room closed on Sunday night I went down to the main room and had a few dances to some classic Northern, great dance floor down there.

As I've said I heard great sounds in the rare room and did ask a few times what the record was, but naturally I've forgotten what the DJs said. I must take a notepad and paper with me again. I think John Vincent played a track called Head Of The Crowd on both Saturday and Sunday. Does anyone know who it's by? It has a blue-eyed feel to it, a bit faster than a beat ballad. Also the lady DJ called Carol did a really good set on Sunday afternoon, she played one called Two Time Loser, again does anyone know who that is by? Also someone played a Fantaisians track, can't remember the title. It would be nice if the rare room DJs could post their playlists please.

Nice to see many of my friends there, some I rarely see. Thanks to all the DJs and the organisers for a great weekend. I definitely intend to go next year.

Hi everybody,

i know it's been said load's of time's but i,m going to say it again anyway " Brid is by far the best weekender on the scene".

In one word "Awesome", well done Pat, Rob & Rob :lol::thumbup: :thumbup:

Can't wait for next year, Woody :D

:lol:Woody please remove that pic of me and you mate we look like a couple of puffs in check shirts lol :(

Edited by Guest
Guest bury masonic

My first visit to Bridlington and I intend that it won't be my last. Absolutely top class music and the company was good too.

Thanks to Dave and Tara Swift for driving me there and back, most good of you, picked up at 8am on Friday, arrived there at about 3.30pm, stopped for lunch in Beverley. Decent guest house, and excellent weather.

The Spa is a good venue, and all the rooms had decent dance floors, sometimes when there is more than one room the dance floors aren't up to the mark, but these were good.

I spent most of my time in the rare and underplayed room, the sort of soul music I particularly enjoy. A few of my friends were doing sets but I didn't know most of the DJs. Mick and Mo did a great Crossover set on Saturday night. So many records that I like were played, all my good intentions of not dancing too much went out the window, hope I wasn't too embarrassing.

Dave and I went down to the Club room on Saturday afternoon to see the Just Soul guys as we're going up there in a couple of weeks, they played a nice set of Crossover and Modern with the inclusion of Barbara Lewis's Hello Stranger, good to hear that out these days.

After the rare room closed on Sunday night I went down to the main room and had a few dances to some classic Northern, great dance floor down there.

As I've said I heard great sounds in the rare room and did ask a few times what the record was, but naturally I've forgotten what the DJs said. I must take a notepad and paper with me again. I think John Vincent played a track called Head Of The Crowd on both Saturday and Sunday. Does anyone know who it's by? It has a blue-eyed feel to it, a bit faster than a beat ballad. Also the lady DJ called Carol did a really good set on Sunday afternoon, she played one called Two Time Loser, again does anyone know who that is by? Also someone played a Fantaisians track, can't remember the title. It would be nice if the rare room DJs could post their playlists please.

Nice to see many of my friends there, some I rarely see. Thanks to all the DJs and the organisers for a great weekend. I definitely intend to go next year.

Hi Geoff,it was me who played Two Time Loser,by The Darlings on Mercury, ( Dereck Higham from Bury )

Carol Mc Carthy spun a few tunes with me,and yes she did play some good un,s

The Fantaisions is Unnecessary Tears on Satellite,glad you enjoyed the spot thumbsup.gif

Bury Masonic Soul Club, Parsons Lane , Bury, BL9 OLY

Next Venue, Saturday, 17th July,,Dereck Higham,Killa & Guests Pat Bleasedale,,,Paul Harris

Hi Geoff,it was me who played Two Time Loser,by The Darlings on Mercury, ( Dereck Higham from Bury )

Carol Mc Carthy spun a few tunes with me,and yes she did play some good un,s

The Fantaisions is Unnecessary Tears on Satellite,glad you enjoyed the spot thumbsup.gif

Bury Masonic Soul Club, Parsons Lane , Bury, BL9 OLY

Next Venue, Saturday, 17th July,,Dereck Higham,Killa & Guests Pat Bleasedale,,,Paul Harris

Hi Dereck,

Thanks very much for the information on those 2 tracks, will have a look for them.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Geoff, At The Head Of The Crowd (if it's the same record) is by The Royal Lancers on ABC-Paramount. It usually gets played in the Rare room as a bit of blue-eyed crossover. Nice track.

Cheers

John Moffatt

Edited by John Moffatt

Hi everybody,

i know it's been said load's of time's but i,m going to say it again anyway " Brid is by far the best weekender on the scene".

In one word "Awesome", well done Pat, Rob & Rob :lol::yes: :yes:

Can't wait for next year, Woody beer.gif

:lol:Woody please remove that pic of me and you mate we look like a couple of puffs in check shirts lol :lol:

rolleyes.gif Yeah well they will now you've drawn attention to the fact, plank :yes: .

:D Listen, it's not my fault you're a little copier & anyway don't cheek your elder's or you'll get no tea :lol:

Edited by Streight Up

Big thanks to Rob Wigley,Rob Wicks & Pat Brady( & partners) for another great Brid Weekender

All rooms where great in there own way

Thanks for letting me spln a few tunes in the Club Soul Room on Friday night.

Roll on next year.

cheers Daryl

Edited by Daryl

I loved it, Loved it,Loved it,Loved it,Loved it !!

Sometimes with large venues you can lose the friendly vibe, not at this one :D

I had a ball from start to finish in ALL 5 rooms. There was something for everyone & for me, a greedy girl, who likes & wants everything , I was in Black Music/Blue Eyed Soul Heaven :lol:

It seems unfair singling aspects of it out, when it was all brill, but a special nod, from my point of view, has to go to

Just Soul Session in the Club Room on Sat afternoon :lol:

Hipster Room on Sat night :yes:(wasn't there Friday but understand it was rocking that night too)

Modern Room on Sat night .... especially Terry Gee's spot (ha ha -just realised what I've typed laugh.gif ) :yes:

but honestly all the other rooms were fab too so much so I danced in ALL 5 at various times. Must remember to wear roller skates next year so I can get between the rooms quicker.

Absolutely beautiful venue, great dancefloors - especially the main room :yes:full of friendly souls who were well up for it !

Was it worth me booking a hotel in Scarborough (as Brid was fully booked) & travelling between the two towns? HELL YES!! Would do it all over again so same time, same place for me next year please.

A big well done to all at ECSC for an amazing weekender hatsoff2.gif

Ali

xxxxx

Edited by Alison H

Hi Geoff, At The Head Of The Crowd (if it's the same record) is by The Royal Lancers on ABC-Paramount. It usually gets played in the Rare room as a bit of blue-eyed crossover. Nice track.

Cheers

John Moffatt

Thank for that John, thought I heard Lancers when it was announced but you know how hard it is to hear what DJs are saying. Now to find the ones I like at a reasonable price.

GOTTA AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT'S BEEN SAID,NO NEGATIVES FROM ME AND THAT'S HIGH PRAISE INDEED.SPENT FRIDAY NIGHT IN THE MAIN ROOM(MOSTLY),SORRY I DIDN'T GET BACK TO YOU ROB WITH THAT BEER BUT EVERYTIME I LOOKED YOU WERE BUSY.SATURDAY NIGHT WAS SPENT MOSTLY IN THE CLUB ROOM AND WE FINISHED THE WEEKEND OFF IN THE MODERN ROOM ON SUNDAY NIGHT WHERE THERE WAS A FANTASTIC ATMOSPHERE (NOT SURE ABOUT THE OKEY COKEY THOUGH) AND I PARTICULARLY ENJOYED THE WAKEFIELD BOYS SET.GREAT WEEKEND,GREAT VENUE,GREAT COMPANY AND I'VE ALWAYS LIKED BRID ANYWAY SO IT WAS PERFICK :beer:thumbsup.gif

Guest elnel

What a great time we had. Team Tarn there in its glory, just to say we all missed our dear friend Rammer and Di , dig in there mate we are all rooting for you and see you at Brid 2011. Really honoured to be asked to play at Bridlington Weekender absolutely loved it. The bonus being with our dear friend from Oz Johnny Redpants (one for the memory book) The quality of the music was first class across all the rooms as has been said before something for everyone. Well done Rob , Rob and Pat.

Great to meet up with all the soul family we all share, adding some more people to it this weekend . Wonderful to see everyone.

Just to congratulate Elnel on being the new world record holder of setting smoke detector off most times in one night !!!!!

Hey them Brandy sisters on Sunday. Like the new three barrels Tommy tippy cups lol.

yep indeed another record for me , wot a weekend though ,thanks a million times over to the gaffers of this weekender for letting spin a few it was orgasmick . thanks ,xx
Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul sister's and JB had a fantastic weekend:thumbsup: . I loved the R&B and the rare/underplayed room; such fantastic tunes played all weekend! Thanks so much John (Alden) for Sylvie Vartan's version of 'I'm Coming Home'. Brilliant tune! I love it! Oh I also thought your sets in the rare room over the weekend were excellent.

It was great to meet up with so many of my lovely soulful friends and meet some new ones. Hi to Alison H (another soul source bird who can dance in heels!) it was good to meet you.

This is our 2nd visit and we've already booked our cottage for next year:yes: !

Nicki XX

BintofSoul sister's and JB had a fantastic weekend:thumbsup: . I loved the R&B and the rare/underplayed room; such fantastic tunes played all weekend! Thanks so much John (Alden) for Sylvie Vartan's version of 'I'm Coming Home'. Brilliant tune! I love it! Oh I also thought your sets in the rare room over the weekend were excellent.

It was great to meet up with so many of my lovely soulful friends and meet some new ones. Hi to Alison H (another soul source bird who can dance in heels!) it was good to meet you.

Nicki XX

Aw, what a nice thing to say Nicki, thanks & big hello back at ya :thumbsup:

It was lovely meeting you too & if you'd have seen me at the end of the night hobbling back to my car, bare foot, along the double yellows as they were the smoothest part of the road :lol: you'd have mugged an old tramp for his boots for my footsie's. Still no pain, no gain :yes:

Let's hope our stilletto's meet again somewhere soon :lol:

Ali x

Nicki XX

Many thanks for your comment Nicki and glad you enjoyed the Sylvie Vartan, definitely underplayed... :thumbsup:

Back to the reality of work today but I'll post playlist over the weekend.

Brilliant weekend all round though!

Best,

John & marolyn

Hi people, just waned toad tat after seing te length of the queue on friday nighti wandered into the cafe, and was served immediately with three bottles of ****., thus avoidin massive queues all weekend.Thanks to Karen , and the other peeps on h door who workeda production line welcomin and wristbanding new arrivals. You obviously worked your arses off all weekend yet retained kindness civility and patience with everyone. you must need a holiday

or a (big fat paycheque ) after that marathon . as you surely deserve one.Had a great time despite heatstroke, insomnia, dehydration , sunburn, windburn ,earburn and sherburn.all rooms had their own character this year. the r&b room on friday night drew me back again and agin. loved it .

eh? Apologies for number of typos ( i do speat lat at a de tam). think theres biscuit crumbs got in the keyboard.maybe if i pour in some tea it,ll disslove em??

Guest yorks old boys

dont forget having you picture with the lady off soul mary chapman from cleggy yocky

just got back from the Awesome Bridlington weekender

Thank- you too everyone who helped me get there and back

Nice to put names to faces and meet up with a lot of sheffield lads,bret brent,mark

I'll never forget the last record in the modern room...was it dedicated to me cunnie ?:rolleyes:

really enjoyed myself

cheers

Toad:thumbsup:

Source Advert