Question About Venues And Distances People Will Travel

Just thinking, should a plague of common sense, compromise and magnanamity resulting in say only one soul night per town / city and 1 allnighter within a specific geographical area per night ever break out on the scene resulting in packed buzzing venues every weekend with more varied music policies

How man of us would make the effort to travel that bit further to attend ?? g.gif

Or would punters still want to travel only short distances to attend venues where they see the same mates they have seen every month for donkeys years and hear the same music in the main again they have for years in venues that are never packed or not as packed as they could be if there wasnt another competing venue a few miles up the road ??

I know there are a minority of venues that do achieve my first point a nd promoters that do try to work together sometimes to achieve busier venues ( as Mace did on Boxing day with Chris Waterman) but these are a minority from what I see

My view for what its worth is that we are doomed to an environment of competition, petty jealousies and one upmanship that will mean the proliferation of soul nights and nighters will continue dispersing what already is a diminishing attendance

If you were a youngster coming on to the scene would you be wowed by walking into a venue where the heat and atmosphere hit you as you walk in or by your parents & grandparents sitting around chatting having the occasional dance ??

Right flak jacket on, helmet on tight, now if I can just get to the bomb shelter before the raid starts whistling.gifshades.gif

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just thinking, should a plague of common sense, compromise and magnanamity resulting in say only one soul night per town / city and 1 allnighter within a specific geographical area per night ever break out on the scene resulting in packed buzzing venues every weekend with more varied music policies

How man of us would make the effort to travel that bit further to attend ?? g.gif

Or would punters still want to travel only short distances to attend venues where they see the same mates they have seen every month for donkeys years and hear the same music in the main again they have for years in venues that are never packed or not as packed as they could be if there wasnt another competing venue a few miles up the road ??

I know there are a minority of venues that do achieve my first point a nd promoters that do try to work together sometimes to achieve busier venues ( as Mace did on Boxing day with Chris Waterman) but these are a minority from what I see

My view for what its worth is that we are doomed to an environment of competition, petty jealousies and one upmanship that will mean the proliferation of soul nights and nighters will continue dispersing what already is a diminishing attendance

If you were a youngster coming on to the scene would you be wowed by walking into a venue where the heat and atmosphere hit you as you walk in or by your parents & grandparents sitting around chatting having the occasional dance ??

Right flak jacket on, helmet on tight, now if I can just get to the bomb shelter before the raid starts whistling.gifshades.gif

Waddaya mean would you.................. my closest Nighter is a two hour drive & last year it took me 8 hours to drive to Burnley on a Friday, normally it would be a relatively cushy 5 hours.........you travel to where its at, always have, always will, thats part of it innit............when I dont get excited getting in the car at the weekend & the prospect of a journey full of tunes & the crack with ya mates, not forgetting the unbeleivably random homeward bound journeys, which have on occasion taken twice as long or more than they rightly should then I'll knock it on the head, & that aint gonna be any time soon........

Russ

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Well,mate l'm travelling a good 400 miles to get to Rugby on Saturday....and it's worth every penny!!Cos the venue is good,the music is great and the people are fantastic!! :D

exactly , the longest i've driven is Dundee to Weston-super-Mare and back .... christ knows how many miles that was , but then ong journeys never bothered me having been a long distance scooterist

Social source share

you travel to where the best venues are ...easy as that

Problem is Davie, "best" is in the eyes & ears of the beholder and in some cases in being able to know every step to every record you may hear before you get there !!!!

Also surely attendance, atmosphere etc are all components of what represents "best" and I think in some way that was what I was implying i.e. have we all ( well a lot ) come to accept a level of mediocraty due to the dilution caused by the number of venues that years ago we would have had a different view about

Just my thoughts mate

Social source share

Waddaya mean would you.................. my closest Nighter is a two hour drive & last year it took me 8 hours to drive to Burnley on a Friday, normally it would be a relatively cushy 5 hours.........you travel to where its at, always have, always will, thats part of it innit............when I dont get excited getting in the car at the weekend & the prospect of a journey full of tunes & the crack with ya mates, not forgetting the unbeleivably random homeward bound journeys, which have on occasion taken twice as long or more than they rightly should then I'll knock it on the head, & that aint gonna be any time soon........

Russ

Spot on cant agree more 2 hours to the nearest nighter here too, it would be weird & probally detract from the experience with a mere half hour drive

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Problem is Davie, "best" is in the eyes & ears of the beholder and in some cases in being able to know every step to every record you may hear before you get there !!!!

Also surely attendance, atmosphere etc are all components of what represents "best" and I think in some way that was what I was implying i.e. have we all ( well a lot ) come to accept a level of mediocraty due to the dilution caused by the number of venues that years ago we would have had a different view about

Just my thoughts mate

i'd rather not go out than accept mediocrity .... i don;t go out much lol

Social source share

Well,mate l'm travelling a good 400 miles to get to Rugby on Saturday....and it's worth every penny!!Cos the venue is good,the music is great and the people are fantastic!! thumbup.gif

Thats a bloody long way from Longford mate whistling.gif

Should see you there I would think mate, going to No Way Out in Manchester first but should turn up at some point

I still dont see distance as an obstacle and never really have if I really want to attend a venue. The problem I have these days organising all my other commitments to give the time to get anywhere, which is why I nearly always turn up late

I have to admit though gone are the days of Newcastle or Scotland on a Friday, midlands on a Saturday then an all dayer on a sunday or things like driving from Wigan to Leighton Buzzard for a sunday dayer then back to Manchester for the wheel nighters on a bank hol weekend

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

Love this - Right flak jacket on, helmet on tight, now if I can just get to the bomb shelter before the raid starts - very funnylaugh.gif I think most threads started should end with this.yes.gif

A group of us travel each week to different venues and can travel anything up to 1-2.5 hours if needs must to go to a decent venue - Having said that sometimes we travel and its not what was on the tin.....

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

steve, surely this would contravene my youman rights on choice

Social source share

Good point made well... thumbsup.gif We don't have any nighters in lreland.....l think the further you travel the more you will enjoy it....(GULP!!)

attended a few niters at the bally gally hotel down stairs with the bandit listening to the irish scene, used to travel regually on the train ,2p used to get you any were in the country but the arrival was some times a little iffy , with kings hall & keele only 8 mins away, stafford is going 2 take some planning thumbsup.gif

Social source share

me having been a long distance scooterist

Davie didnt know there was such a thing !!!! I thought it was more multiple short distances interrupted by over heating, cables snapping, clutches seizing etc whistling.gif

Well that was what it was like when I had my GP laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Think the distance l've least travelled to a nighter was The Dolphin Centre in Darlington,when l lived there....bout a mile and a half!! thumbsup.gif

I used to go there, great venue pity it didnt last that long

Did you know Hoggy from Darlington?

Social source share

kev, with my silver dream machine, i have a built in navigator aswell as a road angel, a breathaliser senser! so up yours! hope ur keeping well, cu out soon. billythumbsup.gif

:laugh: Ah Up Billy,

Ive heard all about your silver dream machine.

We've got Sat-navs but with my mate Derbyshire Webby,talking that much we still take a wrong turn or two:no:

Not seen you in a while mate,hope your keeping well.

Kev:innocent:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Think the distance l've least travelled to a nighter was The Dolphin Centre in Darlington,when l lived there....bout a mile and a half!! thumbsup.gif

I had Bretby on my doorstep,Its usually about a hour nowadays to my closest one.

I think the satnav has been a God send,the times we have gone around and around city centres.

100,club is a drag,but its me I dont like London.

Kev:wicked:

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Go out once or twice a month. Got the 100 Club, Va Va Voom and various other do's a train and a tube ride away. I have traveled up to All nighters in Stoke and round that way but thats only once or twice a year. Have everything I need on me door step really.

Regards,

Spoilt In London

Social source share

Social source share

Lets get a perspective here 4 out of the last 5 do's i went to required flying yes this is the States but you want to get to your do's it's air miles

DJ

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Lucky Peterborough has a lot of venues and all of them well most provide a lot of different choices, I would go to many cause it's easy access.

Me and dad can't drive so to go to any other places say out of Peterbrough means train, bus or whatever to get there and saying that most of them would stop late at night so by time 1.00 finish for most venues we have to stay the night or catch a lift.

the few times we been to venues outside of Peterbrough was when we had got a lift and maybe if we can go on a weekend away we might go to Skegness or Hunstanton soul nights

Social source share

Good point mate so no flak from me, suffice to say i reckon Mark and Paula get the prize as they just flew 12000 miles to come to our 4th anniversary here in Fremantle, Western Australia. Now that's what you call dedication !! ATB Tony T BONE. OZ.

Social source share

No clashing with events in the same town/ city and only one niter in a the same area, topics that always crop up and plenty more to come i guess... I would like to see some common sense on this issue but certain people will never get on for various reasons.. A way forward is smaller venues for all niters and some soul events, smaller compact venues that would still retain the atmosphere with 80 to 150 punters.. Also plenty late night/ 3am bar venues around the main cities,these can be used for smaller promotions...

The main point is the big all niters i guess, it seems the way forward is for at least two rooms... Now just get the big all niter promoters to sort out dates between them and try and keep the clashing down, thats easy to say but some aint on each others xmas card list and i can't see that changing anytime soon..

Geographical distance aint an easy answer really, its what kind of punters go where?? if Radcliffe clashed with Rugby then that would impact both as many of the same punters go to both events, thats a big distance in miles but would still hurt both... If Stoke clashed with the Wilton then it would not make any difference at all,different punters all together..

If i put on an event i would not only look at what is on the same night in the area and the music policy, if i clashed with say an RnB event/ oldies night or modern event then i would think about who from them events would come to mine, if its a very small number then i know that both events on the same night would not impact on each other, i would also speak to the other promoters and tell them of my thinking.. I have an event in Manchester just 2 hundred yards from the Twisted Wheel, we are on the same nights, they get 600 people through the door but i don't know of one of my punters who would go there and i aint gonna take any punters at all away from that event...

So the geographical distance aint that easy, 2 events clashing a 150 miles apart can hurt each other and just split the crowd, two events 200 yards apart can have no impact on each other..

Also the change in times and we now have all niters starting well before midnight and maybe having some impact on local soul nights, again its something that promoters have to look at and try and sort something out between them to avoid bad feelings...

Its when you have say an out and out oldies event and then Billy fu"kwit starts another event playing the same music in the same town, then you have problems, it aint easy, people fall out/ all want to dj and if they can't get a booking they will open up their own event etc etc etc..

Clashing aint just down to same night promotions anymore, if there are 2 all niters on the Friday/ Saturday in a the same area sometimes these hurt each other also as many punters aint got the legs for two long nights of a weekend, they will choose events and this too can make a big impact sometimes, many years ago two events in the same weekend close to each other would make for weekend and we would plan it out, many a time i did an all niter and then straight onto an all dayer in the 80s,that could still work if there are smaller events but not if both events are looking to get 400 plus through the door...

And then we have the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekenders :lol: now there are more weekenders than notches on John Terry's be bed post,maybe 25 or more each year in the UK alone, some of these like Prestatyn/ Cleethorpes/ Brid etc will impact big time on other events the same weekend, again the promoters have to speak to each other,not just drive your circus into town and think nothing of whats on around you..

Its common sense and manners that are required but try telling that to some promoters... Some people have respect for others and some don't care a cows c"nt who they step on as long as they get to do what they want... The way of the world i guess..

Testing times indeed again this year for soul promotions,good luck to you all, try and keep the bullshit off the forums :wicked: and try and sort it all out face to face or over the phone..

Rev Kenny Lynch... Peace and love xxxx

Social source share

well im bloody miles from any of the big niters i suppose london is closest or the west mids....but ive hardly been out anywhere this last few years i got tired of travelling to venues that were just not as described " across the board" meaning they have jimmy mack & the snake.... i will always love the 100 club but the trouble is when i do see an event i would like to go to things conspire against me family commitments blah blah blah...theres rarely anything of interest happening in the south west apart from pete lysters do's in bridgwater and i can rarely attend those in spite of it being so close to me....the scene has sort of lost it lustre for me...badly run and badly attended venues are not much of an advert to attract new blood..i think i prefer to sit at home knowing that musically i wont be dissapointed...and the beer is cheaper!!!!!

cookie

Social source share

well im bloody miles from any of the big niters i suppose london is closest or the west mids....but ive hardly been out anywhere this last few years i got tired of travelling to venues that were just not as described " across the board" meaning they have jimmy mack & the snake.... i will always love the 100 club but the trouble is when i do see an event i would like to go to things conspire against me family commitments blah blah blah...theres rarely anything of interest happening in the south west apart from pete lysters do's in bridgwater and i can rarely attend those in spite of it being so close to me....the scene has sort of lost it lustre for me...badly run and badly attended venues are not much of an advert to attract new blood..i think i prefer to sit at home knowing that musically i wont be dissapointed...and the beer is cheaper!!!!!

cookie

Here here Kim.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

No clashing with events in the same town/ city and only one niter in a the same area, topics that always crop up and plenty more to come i guess... I would like to see some common sense on this issue but certain people will never get on for various reasons.. A way forward is smaller venues for all niters and some soul events, smaller compact venues that would still retain the atmosphere with 80 to 150 punters.. Also plenty late night/ 3am bar venues around the main cities,these can be used for smaller promotions...

The main point is the big all niters i guess, it seems the way forward is for at least two rooms... Now just get the big all niter promoters to sort out dates between them and try and keep the clashing down, thats easy to say but some aint on each others xmas card list and i can't see that changing anytime soon..

Geographical distance aint an easy answer really, its what kind of punters go where?? if Radcliffe clashed with Rugby then that would impact both as many of the same punters go to both events, thats a big distance in miles but would still hurt both... If Stoke clashed with the Wilton then it would not make any difference at all,different punters all together..

If i put on an event i would not only look at what is on the same night in the area and the music policy, if i clashed with say an RnB event/ oldies night or modern event then i would think about who from them events would come to mine, if its a very small number then i know that both events on the same night would not impact on each other, i would also speak to the other promoters and tell them of my thinking.. I have an event in Manchester just 2 hundred yards from the Twisted Wheel, we are on the same nights, they get 600 people through the door but i don't know of one of my punters who would go there and i aint gonna take any punters at all away from that event...

So the geographical distance aint that easy, 2 events clashing a 150 miles apart can hurt each other and just split the crowd, two events 200 yards apart can have no impact on each other..

Also the change in times and we now have all niters starting well before midnight and maybe having some impact on local soul nights, again its something that promoters have to look at and try and sort something out between them to avoid bad feelings...

Its when you have say an out and out oldies event and then Billy fu"kwit starts another event playing the same music in the same town, then you have problems, it aint easy, people fall out/ all want to dj and if they can't get a booking they will open up their own event etc etc etc..

Clashing aint just down to same night promotions anymore, if there are 2 all niters on the Friday/ Saturday in a the same area sometimes these hurt each other also as many punters aint got the legs for two long nights of a weekend, they will choose events and this too can make a big impact sometimes, many years ago two events in the same weekend close to each other would make for weekend and we would plan it out, many a time i did an all niter and then straight onto an all dayer in the 80s,that could still work if there are smaller events but not if both events are looking to get 400 plus through the door...

And then we have the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekenders :ohmy: now there are more weekenders than notches on John Terry's be bed post,maybe 25 or more each year in the UK alone, some of these like Prestatyn/ Cleethorpes/ Brid etc will impact big time on other events the same weekend, again the promoters have to speak to each other,not just drive your circus into town and think nothing of whats on around you..

Its common sense and manners that are required but try telling that to some promoters... Some people have respect for others and some don't care a cows c"nt who they step on as long as they get to do what they want... The way of the world i guess..

Testing times indeed again this year for soul promotions,good luck to you all, try and keep the bullshit off the forums :sleep3: and try and sort it all out face to face or over the phone..

Good post Kenny Cato as ever:laugh:

Rob

Social source share

cookie

You should have tried the recent Gloucester 'nighter.

Social source share

the thing is some promoters have lost the plot !

if i go too an oldies night (VERY RARELY) the music aint from my era its the same old same overplayed classics ive spoken to two promoters about this and they said oh but they like hearing them the outcome i just dont support them anymore

trouble is every man and his dog wants too be a DJ

forget the nosense about youngsters they just arnt gonna come in numbers especially to empty venues !

Social source share

if i go too an oldies night (VERY RARELY) the music aint from my era its the same old same overplayed classics ive spoken to two promoters about this and they said oh but they like hearing them

the outcome i just dont support them anymore

forget the nosense about youngsters they just arnt gonna come in numbers especially to empty venues !

I go to oldies nights because this is my choice and the ones I go to are well attended

went to a niter recently and this just reinforced my reasons for stopping doing niters

years ago.

but each to their own, like you say oldies aint your era,

for me it is ,

so why the the sour remark its not the fault of us who like oldies its simply this

where I go, and usually its every friday and saturday and to many venues the majority

are well attended the ones that are less well attended are the ones with an ATB policy

and play many none classic oldies including modern

gotta agree with you there are too many wannabe djs out there who have started there own

events , and oldies nights seem to be on the increase , good or bad, I can only say that

the punters will sort the wheat from the chaff and the good ones will continue to flourish,

dont know what it will be like 10 years down the line but then I will be drawing my pension lol

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

if i go too an oldies night (VERY RARELY) the music aint from my era its the same old same overplayed classics ive spoken to two promoters about this and they said oh but they like hearing them the outcome i just dont support them anymore

Agree 100% to this post, spot on Tim

Social source share

i said that they wernt from my era and to be honest i wasnt knocking anyones taste but WC was on for 8 years and if its an oldies night whats the harm in playing some from 78-81 !

i went to stoke for the wigan 30th ??? YET all i heard in the 8hours plus was about 20ish from that time period.

im afraid some djs have played the same set of records for what seems an eternity !

Edited by TOAD
Social source share

hello mark ive explained to them why i dont go there

cmon mate ive supported your oldies dos over the years havnt i

its not just my personal view point i speak too loads of people id like to see a huge packed venue rather than tiny places with a handful in

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

What about travelling in a Transit to a Motown Revival at Wigan in 78?

SO THATS WHERE IVE SEEN YOU BEFOREthumbup.gif

TRAVELLING TO DO'S HAS BEEN PART AND PARCEL OF THIS SCENE AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER.

YOU'RE ALL SPOILED ROTTEN OVER THERE NOW,WITH A DO ON EVERY WEEKEND.

LIKE ME,I'D SAY A LOT OF PEOPLE CHOOSE WHERE THEY WANT TO GO AND JUST GO, EITHER BECAUSE THEIR FRIENDS GO OR THE MUSIC'S GREAT OR BOTH.

UNLIKE ME HOWEVER,THEY DONT HAVE TO GET, A BUS,A PLANE,A TRAIN.A TAXI/LIFT, AND THE SAME AGAIN HOME,DONT GET ME WRONG I'M NOT COMPLAINING TO ME THATS PART OF THE SCENE, TRAVELLING................ JUST THINK YOU LOT OVER THERE ARE SO LUCKY......... I MISS ENGLAND tongue.gifsmile.gif

Social source share

yes u right tim...its a shame that venues that play upfront stuff dont all get the numbers in,,,but its always been a hard slog to convert people...

this has always been the same isnt it?

well yes your right but so many people just want to hear the same old same old week in week out. ive asked the question on here before why do you listen to the same records all the time and i didnt get a reply. theres so many out there but its as if they arnt interested.go and browse in refosoul and take a listen you just might find something differant.WC wasnt an oldies venue it played new discoverys every week ? thats why i travelled there to hear records that could only be heard by the djs there.

Social source share

And then we have the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekenders :ohmy: now there are more weekenders than notches on John Terry's be bed post,maybe 25 or more each year in the UK alone, some of these like Prestatyn/ Cleethorpes/ Brid etc will impact big time on other events the same weekend, again the promoters have to speak to each other,not just drive your circus into town and think nothing of whats on around you..

Testing times indeed again this year for soul promotions,good luck to you all, try and keep the bullshit off the forums :D and try and sort it all out face to face or over the phone..

I was going to post something sensible and profound like this ............. but I buggered off to the fridge for a beer and behold.... ! LOL

Peace Stevie ! Always thinking a bit deeper than most ! Respect !

Mossy

As for going out to places that are far away..............my girlfriend wont let me, so I have to buy records off the internet ! shhh.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

No worries for me in that respect anymore Longy...the music I love apparently has died...so I'm off to series of seances starting at No Way Out this Saturday night followed next week by ghostly happenings at Morlands and Andy Pollards Spiritual 50th Birthday Bash :D

Social source share

well yes your right but so many people just want to hear the same old same old week in week out. ive asked the question on here before why do you listen to the same records all the time and i didnt get a reply. theres so many out there but its as if they arnt interested.go and browse in refosoul and take a listen you just might find something differant.WC wasnt an oldies venue it played new discoverys every week ? thats why i travelled there to hear records that could only be heard by the djs there.

the reason why I go to oldies nights and prefer them is easily answered for me , the classic oldies are the bedrock of the scene , the sounds upon which I used to and still dance to , over the years and it has been a long time the music has altered and there have been many good additions from the 70s ,80, up to the present, but essentially they are that ,

great sounds will always shine, trouble is they (to me ) are getting fewer and fewer, never the less I still am surprised by some new or recycled tunes which make me look up and want to get on the dancefloor,

unfortunately (again to me) some djs want to play a surfeit of rare, underplayed or modern sounds proclaiming these to be the latest monster awesome sound because it was played at such and such a venue, or by so and so dj, or it costs the equivalent of the uks national debt, well for me if its no good its no good and dont give a flying fook about where or who plays it or how much it cost, most punters are very discerning especially about the brand (northern soul) and wont easily accept ,me included, inferior material its got to hit the mark or it will not go down.

yes have got to admit at times it does get a bit irksome and there are plenty of sounds that are always played that really should be given the boot but hey hoe a lot of folk still like them and they fill the floor unlike some of the above mentioned tumbleweed tunes.

to me a good dj should be able to keep the floor going by playing a good mix of tracks of differing, styles and tempos, slipping in the odd new or not often played sound seamlessly and if it moves the floor then try some more but keep watching the floor,

the scene is basically a dance scene and playing to the floor is paramount thats one of the reasons I dislike some djs who carry on regardless.

finally I think the present time is the best for me because I am able to go where I want when I want and have loads of mates who are in the same boat who share my love of classic oldies

cheers b hatsoff2.gif

Edited by barney
Social source share

I only have just under a mile to walk to get to the Stormin Soul Niters in Barnsley and a 10 minute taxi ride to nights at the Metrodome. A similar distance to the Trades, Kingstone, etc but haven't been there yet. It's great having so much soul literally right on your doorstep. Who can beat a mile to their nearest niter? :wicked:

Gordon

Social source share

Just to add, when I lived in rural Northumberland I'd get a lift and travel to places such as Prestwich, Sheffield City Hall, Loughborough Uni, Tony's in Blackburn, Sheridan's at Dewsbury, Cala Gran weekenders at Fleetwood and even as far as Bridgewater in Somerset for one do. Problem these days is that I'm not single anymore and the missus ain't really a soulie and will only let me travel locally.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert