Bigsoulman

• Replies 64
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

...and went after this thread started from under 2000 up to over 3ooo USD LOL

This is definitely a case of money talks ,bidding on this one.

It has soared in price since the 1st day it appeared and with so many days left ...it's a case of whoever has the biggest pot cos it's gonna be expensive .

Makes you wonder why some people put a bid on so early, with no intention of following it up...is it so they can see the identity of the winnerg.gif

In fact it amazes me why,if your serious about winning it you'd be bidding with so many days to go

Social source share

without being a psychoanalyst I suppose it has something to do with the thrilll some may get from "having had a bid on so and so...could have won it if not blabla..."

Spot on Mark, makes good conversation for some folk.

Hear it all the time 'I bid on the---------------on ebay but got beat'

Yeah, got beat cos you put £30 on a £500 recordwanker.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yeah, got beat cos you put £30 on a £500 recordwanker.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Also the one that got away conversation ...i missed it by $2 on a two horse race .....who's to say the other fella did'nt have a $100 proxy bid in the bank above your final bid.

Anyways back on track .....how many copies of this now , should newly unearthed copies reduce the price or do some records ignore that philosophy due to so indemand?

Flip side does it for me and i'm not gonna start the old "this is shite " postwhistling.gif .....cos as sure as night follows day..someone willwicked.gif

Social source share

Haven`t heard of any new quantity being found and I don`t think the one one bay will create an inflation Nev wink.gif .

Awesome oldie and I love both sides. Just only too expensive for me LOL!

Isnt this a new find then Mark?

i know other copies sold recently are from collector to collector so not new finds unlike the conner cagle wicked.gif

Social source share

Isnt this a new find then Mark?

i know other copies sold recently are from collector to collector so not new finds unlike the conner cagle wicked.gif

Neither a single sale such as the current Magnetics one nor two copies of conner cagle from different sellers on ebay are indication of any kind of a find at all. If you have more/better informations please let us all know shades.gif

Social source share

without being a psychoanalyst I suppose it has something to do with the thrilll some may get from "having had a bid on so and so...could have won it if not blabla..."

Maybe so for some. But, speaking just for myself, I like to put a reasonable bid in early just to see how far to push. It gives some ida of how much it may go to.

Not sure if I'm "that" interested in this one. I know it's rarer than the Ray Pollard I won recently (which is actually in beautiful nick BTW smile.gif ) but I'll deffo be going to $5k or so.

Phil

Social source share

Maybe so for some. But, speaking just for myself, I like to put a reasonable bid in early just to see how far to push. It gives some ida of how much it may go to.

Not sure if I'm "that" interested in this one. I know it's rarer than the Ray Pollard I won recently (which is actually in beautiful nick BTW smile.gif ) but I'll deffo be going to $5k or so.

Phil

Believe me Phil, you will save youself a lot of money when you stop doing this. Everybody and his dog will bid you up till they have overbid you days before the auction ends and then in comes you again putting in a new top bid. Good for ebay and the seller but way too bad for the buyer...you.

Social source share

Believe me Phil, you will save youself a lot of money when you stop doing this. Everybody and his dog will bid you up till they have overbid you days before the auction ends and then in comes you again putting in a new top bid. Good for ebay and the seller but way too bad for the buyer...you.

Actually you're right. No point paying over the odds if not needed. I just hate losing.

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

Yeah, got beat cos you put £30 on a £500 record:wanker:

:laugh::laugh:

M.thumbsup.gif

i wonder how many people on here have put a £30 bid on a record thats rated at £500 and actually won, sometimes thats the joy of e-bay, its inconsistency may mean you stand a chance,

i got a bobby hutton "come see" for 12 quid, but a few weeks later a track i was selling thats in the guides at 250 went for its starting price of 4.99, so iguess my bid of 17.34 for lady in green is a bit out

Social source share

Wow

First one ive ever seen for sale and in fantastic condition.

Its gonna go for lots me thinks

Good luck Phil

I would quite like it, but I won't be winning it.

I've taken some wise advice and now am not bidding on Ebay. I was gonna go up to $5k ish on this but no more. Thankfully my "test" bid of $3888 has now been beat.

I'll stick to "proper" sources from now on. No point paying over the odds any more.

Phil

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I would quite like it, but I won't be winning it.

I've taken some wise advice and now am not bidding on Ebay. I was gonna go up to $5k ish on this but no more. Thankfully my "test" bid of $3888 has now been beat.

I'll stick to "proper" sources from now on. No point paying over the odds any more.

Phil

BEEN THERE DONE THAT PHIL, WISE MAN.

Social source share

Actually you're right. No point paying over the odds if not needed. I just hate losing.

Phil

Phil, if you want to win anything on ebay you have to snipe it anyways. Try esnipe.com, bidnapper.com, auctionsniper.com, etc. Bidding early just sets you up to be outbid.

Social source share

This is definitely a case of money talks ,bidding on this one.

It has soared in price since the 1st day it appeared and with so many days left ...it's a case of whoever has the biggest pot cos it's gonna be expensive .

Makes you wonder why some people put a bid on so early, with no intention of following it up...is it so they can see the identity of the winnerg.gif

In fact it amazes me why,if your serious about winning it you'd be bidding with so many days to go

Nev I always bid as soon as I've seen a record I want, I put my top price on it and that's that, I don't see the point in waiting in case I forget to bid, and if I've decided on a price I'm prepared to pay it makes no difference either way on a big number as far as I'm concerned.

Won loads of big records on ebay without using Snipe, only useful if you're after getting something cheap and you aint going to get a big number on the cheap.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

>With this record I'm using an amplified version of the GOLDMINE grading system. In the most marketable grades of FAIR to NEAR MINT, I'm adding a numerical scale of .1 through .9 after the grade (e.g. VG.7 or NM.5), with .9 putting the record closest to the next grade.

What an utterly insane grading system - adding a scale of 1 to 9 after basic gradings. What the hell is NM.5? Half way between yer basic near mint (NM.1) and totally and utterly mint (NM.10) aka M. I mean M.10. Or is that M.0?

May the best man win! Or woman...

Social source share

Nev I always bid as soon as I've seen a record I want, I put my top price on it and that's that, I don't see the point in waiting in case I forget to bid, and if I've decided on a price I'm prepared to pay it makes no difference either way on a big number as far as I'm concerned.

Won loads of big records on ebay without using Snipe, only useful if you're after getting something cheap and you aint going to get a big number on the cheap.

sniping removes the psychology of the auction. people think they know their top price but they don't. when they see they've been outbid, they bid again, that means they really didn't put in their top price. your top price could have won if you removed the other bidder's opportunity to rebid. even if you win, you end up paying much more than you would have otherwise due to other bidder's rebidding, as I'm sure you will notice when you check the bid history and see other bidders rebidding. bidding early also knocks up the price early and sets higher standards for the record for everyone. even on the magnetics, now that it's up so high so early, even the snipers will be bidding much higher than they would otherwise than if it had stayed low until the last day.

Social source share

Thats rubbish I'm afraid, sniping is invaluable, it's got nothing to do with getting things cheap, it's about not showing your hand. I've won over 3,000 records from $2 to $1000 using it.

Social source share

Thats rubbish I'm afraid, sniping is invaluable, it's got nothing to do with getting things cheap, it's about not showing your hand. I've won over 3,000 records from $2 to $1000 using it.

That may be so Pete, but if your snipe is $1 lower than my top bid you lose, top bid always wins I'm afraid whether it's a snipe or not.
Social source share

That may be so Pete, but if your snipe is $1 lower than my top bid you lose, top bid always wins I'm afraid whether it's a snipe or not.

Not saying it doesn't, but it saves the stress of wtahcing to see if someone outbids you, and it also stops me changing my mind and bidding higher than I originally wanted to!

Social source share

Not saying it doesn't, but it saves the stress of wtahcing to see if someone outbids you, and it also stops me changing my mind and bidding higher than I originally wanted to!

Just spent the last five minutes reading this and cannot believe how someone can honestly think putting a bid on manually is better than snipingohmy.gif

Social source share

Why??????????

well you keep saying it's "preference" but you didn't respond to a single point in my post for example (reposted again below). If you truly bid on ebay a lot and win, you would have experienced paying way more than you had to and it would have been obvious via looking at the bidder list and seeing bidders rebidding when they couldn't have if you sniped for example. I suspect since this is a seller-oriented board that many of the people opposed to sniping are actually sellers for whom sniping works against them making the most money (please don't take this as a shot at you, I don't know what your personal reasons are, although you haven't really given a specific reason why not sniping is good and haven't responded to anyone's reasons why sniping is good).

sniping removes the psychology of the auction. people think they know their top price but they don't. when they see they've been outbid, they bid again, that means they really didn't put in their top price. your top price could have won if you removed the other bidder's opportunity to rebid. even if you win, you end up paying much more than you would have otherwise due to other bidder's rebidding, as I'm sure you will notice when you check the bid history and see other bidders rebidding. bidding early also knocks up the price early and sets higher standards for the record for everyone. even on the magnetics, now that it's up so high so early, even the snipers will be bidding much higher than they would otherwise than if it had stayed low until the last day.

Social source share

I'd say sniping is a very good idea in 99% of all cases, but with these big records I think it's just a case of who has the biggest pockets.

Oh and if anyone doubted the sellers grading system I can say that this guy grades conservatively and whoever wins it will probably be very happy with what he gets.

Social source share

I'd say sniping is a very good idea in 99% of all cases, but with these big records I think it's just a case of who has the biggest pockets.

Oh and if anyone doubted the sellers grading system I can say that this guy grades conservatively and whoever wins it will probably be very happy with what he gets.

Well i have'nt placed a bid yet and not sure if i'm even gonna to be honest. Looking through Manships guide of 2 years ago i see most of the Magnetics records are worth around 3 to 4000 pounds, well in his valuation scale they are. Just what is it that makes these so expensive ??

Rarity or simply because they sound so damn good. Who has copies of these and play's them out ? Are we talking rarity in the same way as Lester Tipton or Don Gardner? Hopefully Pete or Phil can answer that one for me. ATB Tony. OZ.

Social source share

Well i have'nt placed a bid yet and not sure if i'm even gonna to be honest. Looking through Manships guide of 2 years ago i see most of the Magnetics records are worth around 3 to 4000 pounds, well in his valuation scale they are. Just what is it that makes these so expensive ??

Rarity or simply because they sound so damn good. Who has copies of these and play's them out ? Are we talking rarity in the same way as Lester Tipton or Don Gardner? Hopefully Pete or Phil can answer that one for me. ATB Tony. OZ.

It's as rare as Lester Tipton, up until mid to late 80's only 4 known copies all from Martin Koppell back in early 70's, Martin kept one for himself Bob Foster (North Wales) brought the other 3 copies back to the UK.

Social source share

well you keep saying it's "preference" but you didn't respond to a single point in my post for example (reposted again below). If you truly bid on ebay a lot and win, you would have experienced paying way more than you had to I Never pay more than I was prepared to pay sometimes it's lower. and it would have been obvious via looking at the bidder list and seeing bidders rebidding when they couldn't have if you sniped for example. I suspect since this is a seller-oriented board that many of the people opposed to sniping are actually sellers for whom sniping works against them making the most money (please don't take this as a shot at you, I don't know what your personal reasons are, although you haven't really given a specific reason why not sniping is good and haven't responded to anyone's reasons why sniping is good) I never said sniping is no good I just said it personal preference, been on ebay since beginning won loads of records cheap, but also paid what I though was my top price, I guess many a person will have sniped me and said I loss so and so by a $1, actually it could have been a $100's for all they know.

sniping removes the psychology of the auction. people think they know their top price but they don't. when they see they've been outbid, they bid again, that means they really didn't put in their top price. your top price could have won if you removed the other bidder's opportunity to rebid. even if you win, you end up paying much more than you would have otherwise due to other bidder's rebidding, as I'm sure you will notice when you check the bid history and see other bidders rebidding. bidding early also knocks up the price early and sets higher standards for the record for everyone. even on the magnetics, now that it's up so high so early, even the snipers will be bidding much higher than they would otherwise than if it had stayed low until the last day. Sometime a big early bid actually scares off a lot of people, I suspect quite a few on here were hoping to put a snipe in now will not bother due to the price, so it works the other way as well.

Social source share

It's as rare as Lester Tipton, up until mid to late 80's only 4 known copies all from Martin Koppell back in early 70's, Martin kept one for himself Bob Foster (North Wales) brought the other 3 copies back to the UK.

Remember being at Martins home when he showed me this one copy...forst time I had in my hands. Worth the travel (alomng other stthings of course LOL).

Marc

Social source share

Why??????????

Cos the auction has a precise end time and the sniper waits until the last 4 seconds before bidding.

I know its gonna happen and how much it is but you don't, and by the time it happens yoy dont have time to respondno.gif

We are not talking stupid bids on very rare records here ......i wait until the last few hrs and depending on the interest in a particular item i want ,i'll gauge how much i'm gonna bid .

Hypothetically .....there are two bidders on my want...no activity for a few days....i know there's a proxy system ,so chances are one of the other bidders has got more in his pot.

He does'nt know im gonna bid ,so is'nt ready for me ,but i know he's on it cos he's already showed himself.

Only thing i have to worry about is another sniper or two....three.....

Obviously if you have a bigger proxy bid than me ,yes you will win it ...but i don't want it if it's OTT .An OTT bid will always win the day,but i don't class that as winning .

If i wanted to pay a high price for a record i'd put it in wants and offer a high price ,then watch em come out of the woodworkbiggrin.gif

P.s Lets see if this record goes to one of those already on it ...or a sniper wicked.gif

Social source share

This guy picked a good time to sell. :thumbup:

This was played by Butch at the January 100 Club nighter (first time in ages) and it was talked up on here in the Box section not long before - by some blabber mouth or other... :thumbsup:

Ian, please get rid of that avitar, it's making me feel quite ill

:thumbup:

Lenny

Social source share

Phil

Did you win it Phil ?!?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert