Margaret Little,love Finds A Way

De-to

Hi Mark,

been told by a good reliable source that there are at least 9 copies in UK alone, with most being in the North West area funnily enough, some of the owners don't want it known which does put some ???????'s on them actually owning it i suppose !!

Ian.

Social source share

Hi Mark,

been told by a good reliable source that there are at least 9 copies in UK alone, with most being in the North West area funnily enough, some of the owners don't want it known which does put some ???????'s on them actually owning it i suppose !!

Ian.

Ian and I've got every release on Shrine as well, just don't want to show them to anybody.thumbsup.gif
Social source share

Guest sean daniels

Hi Mark,

Ian.

And some of them do want you to know they own one. Isn't that right "Funkyfeet"?

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

And some of them do want you to know they own one. Isn't that right "Funkyfeet"?

Comommon Knowledge that the three known in the UK are:

Sam

Mick H

Funkyfeet

has been for a few years now

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If there are nine copies i don't think it's the kind of rarity that will be glued into most people's collection pushing up the prices of those that are available. I reckon however many copies there are, they will change hands fairly frequently. Shocking record and already had it's 15 minutes in my opinion.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Comommon Knowledge that the three known in the UK are:

Sam

Mick H

Funkyfeet

has been for a few years now

Didn't Butch have one? Who has that copy? (seeing as he isn't funkyfeet)

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Didn't Butch have one? Who has that copy? (seeing as he isn't funkyfeet)

Butch doesn't owe one not to my knowledge if he did he would surely have played it out..

The three known copies unless anyone can put a name to others are as follows.

Sam

Mick H

Funkyfeet (Mark Speakman)

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

ONE THING I'M SURE OF .....IF BOOK PRICE WAS SAY MAYBE A PALTRY £500, NOBODY WOULD BE TALKIN' ABOUT THIS CRUD :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:

BRI PINCH.

I beg to differ, no matter what anybody thinks of this record it is bloody great northern regardless of its soul quantity. It rams the dancefloor floor whenever it gets played and I doubt most of the dancers care about the price.

Social source share

IF THERE ARE SIX OTHERS.....PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTHS ARE AND LETS SEE EM'.....DONT BE AFRAID NOW.....ITS LIKE THE "UNDISCOVERED WIGAN FOOTAGE" AND ALL THOSE THOUSANDS OF PICCYS THAT PEOPLE BEGRUDGINGLY DONT WANT TO DIVULGE OR DISCUSS.......WHY EVEN MENTION THE FACT IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO SHOW THEM...

AM I RIGHT SOULSOURCERS?????

WE KNOW SAM GOT HIS OFF DES & ADEY, MICK AQQUIRED HIS SHORTLY AFTERWARDS......APPOLOGIES TO THE OTHER GUY WITH REGARDS TO THERE BEING THREE BUT IF THIS IS NOT A "3RD FRANK WILSON DISCOVERED BY TWO HIP-HOP COLLECTORS IN CHICAGO" WIND-UP......MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN BECAUSE RIDICULE IS A WORD VERY EASILY FURNISHED ON THIS SCENE!.

ROB.H

Social source share

I beg to differ, no matter what anybody thinks of this record it is bloody great northern regardless of its soul quantity. It rams the dancefloor floor whenever it gets played and I doubt most of the dancers care about the price.

second that emotion chalks, first time sam played it out: ritz manchester.....RAMMED THE FLOOR AT THE COUNTRY'S BEST VENUE 2nd: lea manor's last all-nighter hester/wylie combination...andrew "mike" terry production, brilliant sax break.

rob.h

Social source share

WE KNOW SAM GOT HIS OFF DES & ADEY, MICK AQQUIRED HIS SHORTLY AFTERWARDS......APPOLOGIES TO THE OTHER GUY WITH REGARDS TO THERE BEING THREE BUT IF THIS IS NOT A "3RD FRANK WILSON DISCOVERED BY TWO HIP-HOP COLLECTORS IN CHICAGO" WIND-UP......MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN BECAUSE RIDICULE IS A WORD VERY EASILY FURNISHED ON THIS SCENE!.

ROB.H

Erm... Mark Speakman's got one. He has told us enough times laugh.gif

And he really does have one! yes.gif

Social source share

thats one off the fence then joan but what about the rest of em'?.....put your cards on the table.....its not gonna alter its rareity or value in any way whatsoever.

rob.h

you obviously haven't been reading the topic, the whereabouts of four copies are mentioned within the topic, there's another on ebay.....

not all collectors are on soul source and not all collectors wish to tell everyone what they have or their business, its nowt to do with anyone else at the end of the day. And believe it or not there are collectors who have nothing to do with the Northern Soul scene.

Social source share

IF THERE ARE SIX OTHERS.....PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTHS ARE AND LETS SEE EM'.....DONT BE AFRAID NOW.....ITS LIKE THE "UNDISCOVERED WIGAN FOOTAGE" AND ALL THOSE THOUSANDS OF PICCYS THAT PEOPLE BEGRUDGINGLY DONT WANT TO DIVULGE OR DISCUSS.......WHY EVEN MENTION THE FACT IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO SHOW THEM...

AM I RIGHT SOULSOURCERS?????

you need to read the thread mate or stay off the red bull shots !! laugh.gif

wonder how many copies are in non NS collections ?? or by that i mean folk with no connection to this site or the everyday scene ?? hence why we may never know !!

Ian.

Social source share

i know that the northern scene is full of sherlock holmes types, hence more copies of reputed rareities turning up years after and margaret little has now been around/played since2002 so its not totally impossible but with reference to sams purchase: this copy came out of a ghetto via a down and out who acted as a contact for des and adey, so the story went,a guy who went round knocking on doors asking if anyone had any records and this copy turned up in an area that was considered no-go to whites. when i first saw it you could see the ringwear on the label as it had been stacked in a pile, the vinyl looked battered but it played brill. a while later mick nailed a copy....so by now there's definitely 3 in uk...one on ebay so 4......this is a prickly subject isnt it?....IS 9 A MYTH OR NOT...GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO SHRUG IT OFF AS SPECULATION IF SOULIES OR NON-SOULIES DONT WANT TO DISCLOSE THE TRUTH. no, it dosnt matter who owns them, its the proof that they exist that matters. this record, to me, has the aurra of a needle in the haystack about it but i have to accept that 4 are now known to all but another five have turned up like a fleet of number nine buses?. do the sherlock holmes's confirm this? has j.a. found any of them?, not tim brown?, not john manship?. or is it just that some people wish they had a copy so they want to invent some mischief to relieve their frustration?.

rob.h

Social source share

no, it dosnt matter who owns them, its the proof that they exist that matters.

that doesn't matter either. what's with the obsession with counting 4 vs. 9? why do you care? will it affect the quality or value of the record?

Social source share

beg to differ all ya want chalkster, thats not the point i made anyway, not doubting its pop on the dancefloor, or it;s northern pedigree. its just like the king moses thing, imho not very good records and we wouldnt be having this thread if they werent exclusive to the very few

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, APRIL 25TH, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I know of a copy of this, very poor condition but plays, in a collection in Lancashire. The lads not on here but is quite well known locally. I'll see if I can find out where it came from.

Social source share

Great backing track, reminds me of the Magictones "Its Better To Love"

So there's a the Detroit connection! Or has my 30 years listening to this stuff gone to waste?!!

detroit connection does it get any better than wylie/hester,!!!,imo great backing track vocals ok but a bit whiney but an all round top tune,was/is this the last great (issued) 60s detroit 45 to be discovered,??,unsure.gifph34r.gif

post-9436-12704574267479_thumb.jpg

post-9436-12704574267479_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Always thought this as a pretty average record IMO - Just another flash in the pan irrespective of its rarity. Doesnt endear me to keep singing it in my head or the lyrics dont get my heart a flutter.

Theres thousands out there at a fraction of the price that are better constructed and even the ones that are not brilliantly constructed are better than this eg Servicemen

Cannot see its appeal but their again only my opinion

Ill go back listening to my Loveables Toot white demo- You cant dress up a woman (cracking record)

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

What a fantastic bit of Detroit Northern.It would never do for us all to like the same tunes!!!

Does it matter how many copies there are? Most that slag it off would quicky get a new white cardboard sleeve and pretty it up and insert the tune in pride of place in their record box in the blink of an eye.

PS I think you will find that Sam played this prior to 2002

Social source share

Guest franky m

Wow one fantastic double sider , its the first time i have heard it , i dont attend northern nights but must admit this has all the right ingredients , and its a wylie / hestor production from the golden period of detroit supremacy of the usa soul/pop charts , but it must be the fact there are only 4-5? copys that make it a hit here now ?

If there were only 3 copys of the COD,s i,m a good guy , what would that sell for ?

Social source share

Always thought this as a pretty average record IMO - Just another flash in the pan irrespective of its rarity. Doesnt endear me to keep singing it in my head or the lyrics dont get my heart a flutter.

Theres thousands out there at a fraction of the price that are better constructed and even the ones that are not brilliantly constructed are better than this eg Servicemen

Cannot see its appeal but their again only my opinion

Ill go back listening to my Loveables Toot white demo- You cant dress up a woman (cracking record)

I take it you mean "you can't dress up a broken heart" Ernie ??:yes:

great record & the best of the 4 they did on Toot , didn't Trade Martin use them (Kim, Barbara & Shirley) as backing singers quite often ??

I see bidding has gone past what i 1st thought it would reach, my money is on you Mr Smith thumbsup.gif but how much are you prepared to pay for it if what MS says is true and he has been offered over £5K for his copy then this one may fetch up to £6,000 :ohmy:

good luck mate :D

Ian.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Sam never played it before 2002, he first spun this out on a Sunday night in Llandudno, which is where I first heard it, the second time I think was the week later at the Broughton Wings.

Mick H got his off ebay, he beat my top bid, my copy came from the same guy as Mick H's, I phone the seller up about it, he told he he was totally suprised by the amount of money the copy went on ebay as he didn't know it and at time could find no reference to it, so he put an ad in a Detroit newspaper, a week later a lady came in with a copy, this he put on ebay and I was the winner. There was a 3rd copy on ebay which went somewhere, I was told Germany but no one comfirmed this so it could have come to the UK. No doubt there will be Detroit Collectors, who may have this 45 in their collections but at this point they are unknown.

Popcorn couldn't remember anything about the record when asked, and he was pretty good at logging his sessions, but this wasn't to be found, eventually he remembered that he was being pestered by his postman to record his daughter, and he think this was the result, this latter info has been recalled to me by others, so whether it's true or not I don't no

The one on ebay makes it 5 known copies in my book, but if there are another 5 copies out there it's still a Detroit rarity.

Compare the Parliments "Rainy Day" or Joe Jamma it didn't take the top DJ's long to get one. I know one top DJ who has been waiting to get his hands on a ML for the last 3-4 years.

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Sam never played it before 2002, he first spun this out on a Sunday night in Llandudno, which is where I first heard it, the second time I think was the week later at the Broughton Wings.

Mick H got his off ebay, he beat my top bid, my copy came from the same guy as Mick H's, I phone the seller up about it, he told he he was totally suprised by the amount of money the copy went on ebay as he didn't know it and at time could find no reference to it, so he put an ad in a Detroit newspaper, a week later a lady came in with a copy, this he put on ebay and I was the winner. There was a 3rd copy on ebay which went somewhere, I was told Germany but no one comfirmed this so it could have come to the UK. No doubt there will be Detroit Collectors, who may have this 45 in their collections but at this point they are unknown.

Popcorn couldn't remember anything about the record when asked, and he was pretty good at logging his sessions, but this wasn't to be found, eventually he remembered that he was being pestered by his postman to record his daughter, and he think this was the result, this latter info has been recalled to me by others, so whether it's true or not I don't no

The one on ebay makes it 5 known copies in my book, but if there are another 5 copies out there it's still a Detroit rarity.

Compare the Parliments "Rainy Day" or Joe Jamma it didn't take the top DJ's long to get one. I know one top DJ who has been waiting to get his hands on a ML for the last 3-4 years.

Social source share

I totally agree with Mark.

Weather you like the sound of the vocal / production / overall tune / or not, this 45 is a vintage original issued 60s Detroit Northern fooking Soul Monster Rarity !

and no fooking about ! IMO

May the successful bidder have years of fun with the 45 !!!

( I love the tune BTW)

And 2 off the known copy's that have turned up on e bay have come from Brad P, who is on the front line with old records in Detroit

and a totally honest dealer I am lead to believe .

So a safe fooking 45 to invest in really IMO if you love the tune have the cash !

I love the fact that it is a real original issued 60s Detroit Soul 45 that was missed by all the experts and not "discovered" until recent

times !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

tim brown must have one as if you didnt know already.

Flashback,

Why MUST Tim Brown have one? :unsure:

So a consistent seller at the £5k mark then. Great northern doesn't always make for great home listening pleasure. Think in a venue it sounds great, but can understand that on home kit it probably doesn't.

Social source share

Anyone know who bought it ????? Dave Moore, Pete Fowler , Andy Smith maybe ??

I got outbid at $4550 sad.gif and was at work driving on the A50 when it finished watching it on my Mobile device which wouldn't let me up my bid by $100 laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif not that it would have mattered & good job all the old bill were in laybys asleep at that time of night thumbsup.gif

ah well wonder if they will be like buses now !!! in a way i hope not as it should stay a massive rarity and a national treasure biggrin.gif

Ian.

Social source share

Anyone know who bought it ????? Dave Moore, Pete Fowler , Andy Smith maybe ??

I got outbid at $4550 sad.gif and was at work driving on the A50 when it finished watching it on my Mobile device which wouldn't let me up my bid by $100 laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif not that it would have mattered & good job all the old bill were in laybys asleep at that time of night thumbsup.gif

ah well wonder if they will be like buses now !!! in a way i hope not as it should stay a massive rarity and a national treasure biggrin.gif

Ian.

Not me unfortunately. My limit was 5.5k. Fantastic dancer that if I'd have been a little flusher I'd have tried to snaffle. Hope Pete got it cos that'll mean two copies at Hitsville this year! Back to back Margaret Littles on the Technics? Make a great photo.

Also...wifey messed up The Salvadors bid too!! :unsure: Not a good day!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!