Best Soul Albums

Guest JIM BARRY

Guest JIM BARRY

WHAT'S THE BEST SOUL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME (NO GREATEST HITS PLEASE)

SOME FROM ME,

MARVIN GAYE,......WHATS GOING ON........SHEER MASTERPIECE.

VARIOUS ARTISTS........RIC TIC RELICS......A WONDERFUL COMPILATION OF DETROIT GEMS

THE HESITATIONS......SOUL SUPERMAN

MARVIN GAYE......LETS GET IT ON.........HOW MANY LADIES WERE SEDUCED TO THIS???

Social source share

• Replies 81
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

SOME FROM ME,

VARIOUS ARTISTS........RIC TIC RELICS......A WONDERFUL COMPILATION OF DETROIT GEMS

Hesitations-------Quality thumbsup.gif

Edited by Steve A
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Freddy Butler - A Dab of Soul

Wilson Williams - Up the Downstairs

Tammi Terrell - Irresistible Tammi Terrell

Sam Dees - The Show Must Go On

To name 4 off the top of my head.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

What's all this nonsense then....?? The answer is Motown Chartbusters Volume 3....Just as it ever was... :yes::D:D

YER NOT WRONG THERE WEBBY.:lol: A GREATEST HITS AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME THOUGH.!

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

RARE STAMPSthumbsup.gif

I WAS GONNA INCLUDE RARE STAMPS BUT I DIDN'T WAANNA PUT TO MANY DOWN MESELF.....ALL THE GROOVESVILLE OUTPUT IS SO GOOD.:lol:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

What's all this nonsense then....?? The answer is Motown Chartbusters Volume 3....Just as it ever was... :lol::yes::D

Actually i thought Motown Chartbusters Volume 1 was better.

Stu.

Social source share

SOME FROM ME,

I could name all the classic 60s Soul lps...................Freddie Butler............Tempests..........Herbie Goins........Hesitations..... etc etc etc

I collect and love LPs as well as 45s

But the LP that has given me the most audio pleasure in the last few years since it was released 5 years ago is

Joe Bataan - Call my name - Vampi soul

Such a cool lp ! I can play it from start to finish on either side ! Its an overlooked Soul / Funk masterpiece !

A pure pleasure to drop the needle on.

I played it on holiday abroad the other week to people who had never heard Joe Bataan and they were astonished and loved it !

Especially when I explained Joe bataan's history and the fact that this guy was over 60 years old when he recorded this LP

Great messy chilled out afternoons, fantastic memories, and a fantastic musical soundtrack !!

Joe Bataan is the man !

Hot summer soulful funk !!!!

The vinyl 33 is long deleted and getting hard to get hold of too !!

Best M

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Bobby Taylor - Taylor Made Soul - Gordy

Leroy Hutson - 2 - Curtom

Walter Jackson - Speak Her Name - Okeh

to name but three.......

Social source share

My all time fave LP is DORIS DUKES I,M A LOSER . Awesome LP but not for the faint hearted , as a LP collector there are hundreds of LPS i keep going back to but even though i,ve owned the DORIS DUKE LP since the seventies it still moves me to this day . Great songs , great singer , great production pure DEEP SOUL perfection .

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Otis Redding - Otis Blue

Was at a business meal in a fairly middle of the road restaurant some while back - with a bit of background music going on.

Suddenly from nowhere came both sides of Otis Blue.

I'm thinking - WTF did that come from?

And trying to say to the folks I was with:

"You know this is a really important album"

"A real milestone in the history of music"

Just got the usual "Yeah, yeah, yeah."

Tragic - but their loss!!

MB

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I REALLY LIKE THE CONCEPT ALBUMS, WHERE EACH TRACK BLENDS INTO THE NEXT, AS WELL AS THE AFFOREMENTIONED MARVIN GAYE ALBUMS I'D GO FOR

MILLIE JACKSON....CAUGHT UP....A FANTSTIC VERSION OF IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG

ALSO ONE OF THE FIRST ALBUMS I BOUGHT IN 1971....THIS IS SOUL...VARIOUS ARTISTS ON ATLANTIC

Social source share

In no particular order

Leon Ware - Musical massage, just simply jaw droppingly soulful

Marvin Gaye- Here my Dear, this would be a desert island disc for me

George Benson - Inflight , changed my life & opened the door to so much more black music

OH & any LP released on PIR

Edited by garv
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

What's all this nonsense then....?? The answer is Motown Chartbusters Volume 3....Just as it ever was... :lol::lol::D

ALSO ONE OF THE FIRST ALBUMS I BOUGHT IN 1971....THIS IS SOUL...VARIOUS ARTISTS ON ATLANTIC

For people who weren't there at the time - the 2 albums most responsible for getting Soul music to a wider audience - bar none!

40+ years later and not a bad track on either of them.

MB

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

In no particular order

Leon Ware - Musical massage, just simply jaw droppingly soulful

Marvin Gaye- Here my Dear, this would be a desert island disc for me

George Benson - Inflight , changed my life & opened the door to so much more black music

OH & any LP released on PIR

is it true marvin recorded here my dear knowing it would bomb, as he had togive the proceeds to his ex wife jan? i liked "i want you" a lot more.

Social source share

is it true marvin recorded here my dear knowing it would bomb, as he had togive the proceeds to his ex wife jan? i liked "i want you" a lot more.

From what i can gather Jim, he was contracted to make the Album & in the divorce settlement all the profits went the ex wife [ Berry Gordys sister]. hence the title " here my dear" but i dont know if he thought it would bomb......... i feckin love it

Leon Ware wrote " soon i`ll be loving you again" from Marvins " i want you", he arranged the whole album, if you dont know much of Leons work.......... seriously check him out.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Doris Duke - I'm A Loser

Millie Jackson - Caught Up and Still Caught Up

and in a less deep mode

Darrell Banks - Here To Stay

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Sandra Wright - Wounded Woman

Edwin Starr - Soul Master

sandra wright........stunning soul,......was a great shame it was just as stax were going out of business.:thumbsup:

Edited by JIM BARRY
Social source share

I REALLY LIKE THE CONCEPT ALBUMS, WHERE EACH TRACK BLENDS INTO THE NEXT, AS WELL AS THE AFFOREMENTIONED MARVIN GAYE ALBUMS I'D GO FOR

MILLIE JACKSON....CAUGHT UP....A FANTSTIC VERSION OF IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG

Dont get me started on Millie Jackson:wub:, i have all her LP`s. I really love the" get it out your system" LP but my all time favourite track is " if your not back in love by Monday" goosebumps

Social source share

Lamont Dozier - Black Bach

JJBarnes & Steve Mancha - Rare Stamps

Doris Duke - I'm A Loser

Impressions - Big 16 & Young Mods Forgotten Story

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Jerry Butler - The Iceman Cometh

Ray Charles - Genius+Soul=Jazz

Various - This Is Soul

Various - Motown Memories

Various - Motown Chartbusters 1,2,3

Various - Big Hits 7

now thats enough baby thats enough :thumbsup::hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Social source share

Lamont Dozier - Black Bach

JJBarnes & Steve Mancha - Rare Stamps

Doris Duke - I'm A Loser

Impressions - Big 16 & Young Mods Forgotten Story

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Jerry Butler - The Iceman Cometh

Ray Charles - Genius+Soul=Jazz

Various - This Is Soul

Various - Motown Memories

Various - Motown Chartbusters 1,2,3

Various - Big Hits 7

now thats enough baby thats enough :thumbsup::hatsoff2::thumbsup:

You beat me to it there Ashley I was just gonna say I'm surprised no one's mentioned Black Bach....

Social source share

something like that :thumbsup: i read a similar story - his intention was to make a crappy album but got into it once started. he also stopped it from being released for a while because the story in the songs were too personal to be made public

Social source share

Some of mine......

This is Soul...........got to be in everyones top 10

It all started here - Atlantic compilation......Came out about same time as above

The Miracles - From the begining

Four Tops - Reach Out....... Or any other Four Tops album. Cos I love em !!!!

Williams & Watson - Two for the price of one

The two Isley Brothers albums that were released on M.F.P.

And....Black Bach, of course, put on my Ipod yesterday ready for two weeks in Turkey, so I can Immerse myself in It while laying in the sun and drinking cold Effes beer............

Social source share

For me, individual artists, probably Freddie Butler or The Spellbinders.

But my favourites, and a great education, are Ady's Kent compilations. eg. the one with Porgy & The Monarchs- Congratulations and The Fawns- He's Barbara's Guy on it. (sorry cant remember its title or have time to find it ). The cds follow the tradition and, of the recent ones, The Northern Soul of Goldwax is sublime.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Got to throw this one in - as the coolest and most iconic U.K. soul album of the 60's.

Most copies were played and played until they wore out.

You knew every word from the beginning of side 1 to the end of side 2. I probably still do.

It's Hand Clappin', Foot Stompin', Funky Butt, Live!

This not really the best track - but only one I can find on You Tube.

MB

Social source share

Lots of agreement with many above.

I don't have Joe Bataan, Call my name, but remember being played it some time ago by a club dj. Loved it then and think I would love it more now. Must look for a copy, but as Mossy says may not be that easy.

My shout out may not be so popular but one that has lasted with me for decades and still gets at least a bimonthly turntable outing at home is Gill Scott-Heron / Brian Jackson - Winter in America.

Like many in the 70s I only bought this for The Bottle. I remember telling a more senior record colelctor that I'd bought one, he laughed and said "Yeh but the rest is crap aint it". At the time, being dedicated to northern soul I duely overlooked the other tracks as not northern and crap. But over the years the other tracks really grew to be some of my favourite home plays, long outlasting interest in The Bottle. Peace Go With you Brother, Rives of My fathers, A Very Precious Time, Song for Bobby Smith, Your daddy loves you (sentimental play for me and my daughter Molly) sound beautiful to these old ears now. Would be the last Lp I'd part with.

Social source share

When talking about Rare Stamps I assume you're talking about JJ Barnes/Steve Mancha. There were two other Rare Stamp LP's released on Stax by Johnnie Taylor and Eddie Floyd, which were more greatest hits. The JJ/SM LP was more of a retrospective collection of singles (on another label) put together as an LP when Don Davis moved to Memphis, during Stax's drive to build an instant LP back catalogue after the end of the Atlantic distribution deal, so it's more of a compilation LP rather than a true LP itself. (Similar to Otis Clay's the Only Way is Up LP). But then you could probably say that about a lot of 60's LP's. I would have thought the LP really came into a format of its own in the 70's.

I love Swamp Dogg and some of my favorite LP's are either his or his production, also not for the faint hearted.

Doris Duke - I'm a Loser (already mentioned)

Doris Duke - Legend in Her Own Time

Sandra Phillips - Too Many People In One Bed

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction To Your Mind

James Carr - You Got My Mind Messed Up

James Carr - A Man Needs A Woman

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I could go with the Williams & Watson album - it's probably the best Northern album but for me the most soulful album has to be Linda Jones Hypnotized on Loma - every track is sheer class - 2 great northern tracks and the most soulful line ever imho in "seeing is believing" - "I never thought you would treat me this way after all we've been thru" - so much emotion in a few words!

Social source share

SOME FROM ME,

THE FOUR TOPS SECOND ALBUM - EVERY TRACK IS EXCELLENT.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

I prefer lps to 45's :thumbsup: , and i'm not a 60's fan and with that in mind.

The Impressions Times Have Changed

Marvin Gaye Hear My Dear - My fav Mavin 70's lp, proper deep old stuff when you know the story behind it

Jackie Wilson Beautiful Day

Curtis Mayfield Curtis

The Notations

The Modulations

Sam Dees Show Must Go On

Lost Generation - Both lps

Natural Four Heaven On Earth

JR Bailey Just You and Me

Mike James Kirkland Hang On In There

The Montclairs - for the magnificent "Do I Stand a Chance" alone

and a couple of weirder soul lps

Class-Set My Style

Lonnie Hewitt

Those ones are all excellent all the way through, which I think is often the problem with soul lps

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

this is one of the best aspects of this site!.......i'm learning so much on this topic alone about albums , i will try and check out as many as possible, alot of peeps have mentioned SAM DEES....THE SHOW MUST GO ON. it must be good

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert