Selling Up

• Replies 21
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Question. Is it best to sell records as individual items or as a collection. I think i,ve finally made my mind up to get shut. Cant see my circumstances changing in the foreseeable future. So i think its time for them to go.

Steve

if you sell them as a collection it rules a lot of ppl out....why not just give them to me

moldie

Social source share

Sorry to hear that Steve,go through the same turmoil from time to time myself as am sure many others do,

My take on it is you will get rid in one go and get the same money as if you sell 60-70% of the collection to people who want individual items but then you have the benefit of keeping 30% of your records to sell slowly and still be able to enjoy them good luck whichever you do as u r one of the good guys !!!

Social source share

Also depends on the sort of time scale you're running to. I'm selling a collection now for someone but there's no rush, I do a list every week, this'll happen until the records run out. They could have been sold all in one go but they wouldn't have taken as much money as by doing them individually

Social source share

Also depends on the sort of time scale you're running to. I'm selling a collection now for someone but there's no rush, I do a list every week, this'll happen until the records run out. They could have been sold all in one go but they wouldn't have taken as much money as by doing them individually

But I guess you'll always be left with a good proportion of records that either don't sell at all, or take absolutely forever to sell.

Social source share

Some stuff, the cheaper records especially seem impossible to get rid of these days.

I agree, I think most people selling a collection would stuggle to sell a high percentage doing it individually.

obviously depends on the records but if i list 10 records (cheaper end) I'm lucky if I sell one

Social source share

With the amount of consumerism nowadays,buying stuff with not a cat in hell's chance of recouping your money,why do we think we're going to break even on all our vinyl?

If the arse has well and truly dropped out of the cheaper end,then give em away.!! Either that or keep them as home plays.!!!

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I'm in the same boat as I expect many others are - 'Needs must' an' all that. You will sell your 'Cream' pretty fast as there are always a few buyers for the rarer items. After that, I think you will be left with the rest for a good while (If not forever)

If you think about it, that's not a bad thing. If the time does actually come for me to sell, I will sell my rarer items which is obviously where I'd raise most of the cash and keep the rest.

I think it's a real shame to sell everthing 'Job lot' - At least keeping some will give you many more years of pleasure.

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Cheap records ? or just the common records that most collectors or dj's already have or have had :g:

I was referring mainly to the great but common records that are easily available.

they get ignored. May be that everybody has them ? or not enough new collectors to buy up the stock still available. Its a whole mix of reasons.

and also its a generalisation probably not true in every case just most.

Social source share

I was referring mainly to the great but common records that are easily available.

they get ignored. May be that everybody has them ? or not enough new collectors to buy up the stock still available. Its a whole mix of reasons.

and also its a generalisation probably not true in every case just most.

also for some reason new collectors are only into $$$ vinyl. I didn't pay $10 for a record before I found all the ones I could for $5.

Social source share

Quick formula to work from.....

Desire to own (rare, not rare = real desire) + Happy with price + happy with grade = Buy.

Or for the maths heads.....D (R,-R=rd)+HP+HG=B.

Selling....

Desire to sell (rare,hard to source)+ price negoitable(offers)+Correct grade= Sale.

Or...-D(rhs) +PN(o)+CG =S.

So as you can see,its easier to buy than sell.

Fact.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!