Monster Ballads Hiding On B-Sides Of Northern Classics

Weingarden

Mamselles-open up your heart/it wont take much "to bring me back"-Abc

I actually don't like either side of this record very much, it's okay, not "monster". The linda jones version of "it won't take much" is much better in my opinion (but it doesn't have a northern flip).

Social source share

Bob, do you know the later red label version of the Mark-keys - 'Heavenly Thing'?

I think I prefer that one

simply because it's rarer :wink:

I still don't, I had an opportunity to get one cheap years ago and didn't because I was confused about it being a totally different version -- I had a recording and just thought it was a different edit for some reason

Social source share

I still don't, I had an opportunity to get one cheap years ago and didn't because I was confused about it being a totally different version -- I had a recording and just thought it was a different edit for some reason

it's a different version alright - parts 1 & 2 - same falsetto

the second side starts with what Bob Mays calls 'the sexy talking part'

:D

Edited by soulhawk
Social source share

it's a different version alright - parts 1 & 2 - same falsetto

the second side starts with what Bob Mays calls 'the sexy talking part'

:elvis::hatsoff2:

yeah I know it's totally different now, the recording I had of the 1974 version was muffled which made me think it was the same just recorded poorly or transferred poorly. Is there a red label and a blue label of the later version? I vaguely remember seeing a blue label but I'm probably confused about that now.

Social source share

yeah I know it's totally different now, the recording I had of the 1974 version was muffled which made me think it was the same just recorded poorly or transferred poorly. Is there a red label and a blue label of the later version? I vaguely remember seeing a blue label but I'm probably confused about that now.

I've got a red one - if blue copies exist I haven't seen them

the tcb is blue

my guess is that the group is from Flint - related to Velvettes & the Bar-Bee's on Stepp?

Social source share

I've got a red one - if blue copies exist I haven't seen them

the tcb is blue

my guess is that the group is from Flint - related to Velvettes & the Bar-Bee's on Stepp?

nick soule talked to one of them and is supposed to get me group membership for soul harmony singles

Social source share

aka Black Merda

there's a good / contemporaneous version of that on the flip to Gwen Owens - 'I Lost a Good Thing' on Velgo

I knew they evolved into black merda.

Did you know that the impacs on land are a totally unrelated group that were fans of the impacs so they took on their name after their name changed?

Social source share

I knew they evolved into black merda.

Did you know that the impacs on land are a totally unrelated group that were fans of the impacs so they took on their name after their name changed?

I think VC told me their management had the rights to the name & recruited a new group?

there were many cases like that in Detroit in the 60s - the Falcons jump to mind

Social source share

Here's a nice "B" side lol

https://youtu.be/UNrLDBdKkdw

also

the flip to I Never Knew by Eddie Foster "I Will Wait" is fantastic, but not on youtube, maybe I'll try my hand at uploading.

The DeVons Never Find a Love Like Mine, also not on the tube, is a gret ballad on the flipside of Someone to treat me

Social source share

Here's a nice "B" side lol

The Cheers record is such a classic killer Chicago record. I didn't know anyone even played the other side. I don't know if I've ever even flipped it over. Richard Pegue (who produced their first hit "I'm not ready to settle down") even told me this okeh record was his favorite record of theirs (despite his non-involvement!).

Social source share

The Cheers record is such a classic killer Chicago record. I didn't know anyone even played the other side. I don't know if I've ever even flipped it over. Richard Pegue (who produced their first hit "I'm not ready to settle down") even told me this okeh record was his favorite record of theirs (despite his non-involvement!).

I actually did buy this for "Take Me to Paradise" but the A side is so amazing that I have all but forgotten it. Made up my mind is really fabulous

Social source share

for me the Chantels 'its just me' burns 'indian giver'

and Johnny Bartel's 'i waited too long' takes it over 'if this isn't love'

agree with Boba on the Rock Candy - that is a classic - although the 'alone with no love side' has grown on me over time!

the best chantels soul 45 by far (in my opinion of course) is their RCA track "I'm gonna win him back". it's killer. it's not super slow though, more crossovery.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!