Best Ever British Northern Soul

Dayo

forgot to add new monitors fence around your heart British?

=--------=--=--------=-

Great record, on Buddah. Wasn`t sure it was British so ta.

Walker Bros - Living Above Your Head was a Jon Buck spin (sorry for grassing Jon) actually not that bad. EP or LP only I think.

Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

cats eyes, another one that sits in my "is it good or crap" box, pete shelley had a pop hit in the 70,s i presume its the same pete shelley, whilst looking in that dusty box i found cissy stone "gone but not forgotten" opportunity knocks winning northern!!

forgot to add new monitors fence around your heart British?

Same bloke - he was Alvin Stardusts producer also thumbsup.gif not to be confused, of course, with the Buzzcocks Pete Shelley

Social source share

Same bloke - he was Alvin Stardusts producer also thumbsup.gif not to be confused, of course, with the Buzzcocks Pete Shelley
margaret whiting nothing lasts forever. london records.
Social source share

[..... whilst looking in that dusty box i found cissy stone "gone but not forgotten" opportunity knocks winning northern!!]

Got the Cissy Stone in a CD swap last year, great track imo. Didn't know it was British though, Opportunity Knocks, what happened to her?

When you think about it there have been some really good British tracks but they seem to get forgotten in the mass of American records. Off the top of my head I really like Tony Colton's I Stand Accused (played at last CSC), far better than the Merseys cover version, if I remember they do it a lot faster. Also the Chants track that has been played in London by Martin Thomson, the title eludes me at the moment, at work so can't check up. But there are plenty to choose from as this thread has showed, thanks to Pete Smith for uploading his files. Looking forward to hearing them.

Social source share

margaret whiting nothing lasts forever. london records.

Doesn't qualify - US recording

maybe not the actual greatest but myself would consider

tim rose - i got a lonliness and geno washingtons - i been hurt by love to be up in the top half

mike

Geno is great but Tim Rose is another US recording

Off the top of my head I really like Tony Colton's I Stand Accused (played at last CSC), far better than the Merseys cover version, if I remember they do it a lot faster.

In fairness to the Merseys - when they were offered the song they thought they were going to be doing the Jerry Butler song of the same name!

Elvis Costello's version of I Stand Accused is based on the Merseys one.

Social source share

Doesn't qualify - US recording

Geno is great but Tim Rose is another US recording

ah, had it my head that he was uk based and only seen it meself on uk 45, but as you say us, read since wasnt uk based till 70s

anyything else worth a check by him?

Edited by mike-
Social source share

just thought of another cracker "let him go and let me love you" long john baldry

Another Ray Pollard cover, bit slow init ? Great singer tho.

Social source share

has anyone got a contact phone number for DAVE GREET or e-mail address Please personal message me with details. Also where is Pete Widdowson now adays , Austrailia, Southamton, a contact number for him as well !!!

thanks

Rob Wigley

Sorry only just read this Rob - if someone hasn't sorted contact details out just PM me. Saw Greety at Dave Alcock's funeral a couple of weeks ago and he regularly comes to Cheltenham to support our local do (he is DJing at the Saracens in March with Harboro Horace), and Wid really only does the Southern record fairs and Cleethorpes weekender these days, although he did turn up at a gig in Lightwater a while back to take the piss out of my records :ohmy: Veering off topic with useless trivia I know, but Wid was best man at my first wedding 'cos Greety bottled it due to nerves :thumbsup: Dave still has immaculate taste and a superb collection and Wid still refuses to wear shoes :lol:

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Little known fact, there are two version of Barry St John, the one on Columbia obviously but when they did the British Soul Volume 2, EMI gave Goldmine an unissued take...which nobody spotted til I told them :thumbsup: it's nowhere near as good as the issued one though.

You mean Goldmine went to EMI for the tapes. Wow!! I would have thought is was one of Kev's crass Destiny sessions with some local Notts singer....I'll have to get a listen I love these little quirks...

Social source share

On the Marion Ryan - Better Use Your Head, yes imho it's not anywhere near great as Little Anthony (I personally don't think anyone could ever have topped his performance on this) but plenty of people seem to like the Marion Ryan as I've had plenty dancing to it and coming over to ask what version it is when spun out recently. I know some of you will say its a well known track but whats old to some is new to others.

Also I like the Robin Wilson version as well but as this was British..........

Social source share

The threads about home grown artists whistling.gif

oops :wicked: sorry about that, guess that rules Billy Forrest out then hes South African,but wot a track "you gave me somebody to love" there again so was Zola Bud whistling.gif

Social source share

What was the record booted as the Detroit Shakers, "Help Me". Was it the Outsiders from Wolverhampton? Who were they? I used to love it but it probably hasn't stood the test of time like so many others from then.

Jordi

=====

2 pressings of detroit shakers - help me

1 on counsel - which was the outsiders (US group) lonely man from the LP (same album as backwards upside down)

2nd on soulcat - this was the rainbows on capitol

regards

Social source share

would be interesting to know who else was on the coach? the Worcester crowd were always a mad bunch,who had a lot in common with the "Gloucester lot" whistling.gif

British record has to be PP Arnold!

Standing at the Torch, hairs on the neck right up to the sweaty cieling when the opening bars blasted out,those moments will never be forgotten.

any one heard Cillas version of (There´s)No place to hide? l´ptrack.

Steve

Just remembered another,what about Hettie Winston-when this battle is over,

emi disc only(strangely enough discovered by Polo in a junk shop in Worcester)who owns this now?does any one know if this got released?(Pete.S)i think it came out under a different singers name Stephanie Mills/Sykes?could be totally wrong though whistling.gif only saw the title in a catalogue years ago and never heard IT!one for the detectives!!

Polo was on the coach with me - it was his first allnighter. PP Arnold was a biggie that night! As for the others on the coach; the usual Worcester pillheads! lol. But will try and find the original pic, scan it and load it up - you might recall the names better than me Steve.

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest Soulfood33
I agree about Susan Maughan.Also Showstoppers - Heartbreaker.I take it they're Brits.If not I'll get me coat.
Sorry Showstoppers were Philadelphia, but they did stop over a while and recorded a few thing UK side but "Heartbreaker" is a Showtime recording...not issued in the USA.
Social source share

You mean Goldmine went to EMI for the tapes. Wow!! I would have thought is was one of Kev's crass Destiny sessions with some local Notts singer....I'll have to get a listen I love these little quirks...

Something weird must happen at EMI when you ask for tapes of old stuff...when Rhino put out a Bowie 60's collection, they gave them unissued takes of I Pity The Fool and Take My Tip, never came out anywhere before or since. Also the master of Bobby Goldsboro - Too Many People has apparently long since disappeared so thats why nobody reissued the stomping version and UA put out the alternate take.

ah, had it my head that he was uk based and only seen it meself on uk 45, but as you say us, read since wasnt uk based till 70s

anyything else worth a check by him?

I always thought he was a folky singer/songwriter...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert