Artists We Know Nothing About

Steve L

According to my close friend Bobby Jay, Chuck Wood, Al Wilson and Rubin are JR Bailey......if not, Vernon Harrell.

OK, just so I get this right:

Your friend Bobby Jay says that these three artists...

Chuck Wood

Al Wilson (!)

Rubin

...are infact all records done by J.R. Bailey or Vernon Harrell?

:g:

None of the 4 sides by Chuck Wood on ROULETTE vocally sounds anything like Vernon Harrell.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Kev, you're not saying that JR Bailey (of the Cadillacs btw) is the "Show and tell" and "The Snake" Al Wilson right? Because that's just not true, Al Wilson died in 2008. JR Bailey died in 2000.

Are you saying he's maybe the Wand artist?

Social source share

ELIZABETH B VANOVER

LOCITY MUSIC

1516 HIGH SIERRA DR

LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 30243-5753

770) 962-3595

I spoke to his wife years ago and he was no longer with us. She said she had nothing but had licensed the Pet 45 to a UK company

Apologies but that should have said I spoke to the wife of the guy who owned Pet Records, not Mrs Moses ...... she had no 45s, paperwork or master tapes

Andy

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Apologies but that should have said I spoke to the wife of the guy who owned Pet Records, not Mrs Moses ...... she had no 45s, paperwork or master tapes

Andy

Andy, thanks for the clarification.

So to my way of thinking unless anything definite about the rumour he died shortly after the Pet release it is still possible the YT clip could be the guy.

Or am I still clutching at straws.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

On a separate note, a well known producer living in Florida feels Lainie Hill,Vala Regan and Jessica James might all be Elaine Hill. Jury's out on that one-

...It certainly isn't - the "verdict" has been in for a long time among girl group collectors. Jessica James is definitely former Angels lead singer Peggy Santiglia. The Outlaws are Denise Ferri, formerly of the Delicates, and Bernadette Carroll. Augmented on 'We'll Be Makin' Out' by Lou Christie, no less.

Peggy recorded under lots of different aliases e.g. Tiffany Michel and Peggy Sans, but not as Lainie Hill or Vala Reegan

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Andy, thanks for the clarification.

So to my way of thinking unless anything definite about the rumour he died shortly after the Pet release it is still possible the YT clip could be the guy.

Or am I still clutching at straws.

I think you are not. It sounds like him and so does the guitarist. But then why would anyone post a YT clip of a dead man with a phone number for bookings unless it's a vampire thing they have going?

Social source share

Kev, you're not saying that JR Bailey (of the Cadillacs btw) is the "Show and tell" and "The Snake" Al Wilson right? Because that's just not true, Al Wilson died in 2008. JR Bailey died in 2000.

A few weeks ago on SS, someone posted that Al Wilson ( Wand) was Jackie Wilsons relative. I think!!
Social source share

...It certainly isn't - the "verdict" has been in for a long time among girl group collectors. Jessica James is definitely former Angels lead singer Peggy Santiglia. The Outlaws are Denise Ferri, formerly of the Delicates, and Bernadette Carroll. Augmented on 'We'll Be Makin' Out' by Lou Christie, no less.

Peggy recorded under lots of different aliases e.g. Tiffany Michel and Peggy Sans, but not as Lainie Hill or Vala Reegan

Good to get your verdict. I'll pass on the info to my good friend Charlie Calello.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Good to get your verdit. I'll pass on the info to my good friend Charlie Calello.

...This is not my 'verdict'. This information came from 'Jessica' herself. The memory of a man who arranged and conducted hundreds of sessions notwithstanding, she would be the best placed person to know, I feel.

Peggy, Bernadette and Denise also back Lou Christie on 'Lightnin' Strikes' and 'Rhapsody In the Rain' as well as several other tracks from Lou's 'Lightnin' Strikes' LP.

Social source share

...This is not my 'verdict'. This information came from 'Jessica' herself. The memory of a man who arranged and conducted hundreds of sessions notwithstanding, she would be the best placed person to know, I feel.

Peggy, Bernadette and Denise also back Lou Christie on 'Lightnin' Strikes' and 'Rhapsody In the Rain' as well as several other tracks from Lou's 'Lightnin' Strikes' LP.

Overwhelming......I must have a lie down. Thanks for the info.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I think you are not. It sounds like him and so does the guitarist. But then why would anyone post a YT clip of a dead man with a phone number for bookings unless it's a vampire thing they have going?

Steve, have managed to find circa a dozen references to "King Moses" in the Indianapolis Recorder. A couple from 1977 with the others from 1988/89

Unfortunately his name just appears amongst others who are appearing at local shows, mainly one put on annually by the Recorder itself. No real info at all.

Did get a photo from October 1988 which is deffo the same guy as in the Youtube clip

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Great thread, there's been a few about Blue Sharks - These things................................

I do realize that this record causes some indignation, eyebrow raising and soul-searching but it does fill that dance floor, that's for sure. Whilst it's not so expensive as it was (around the £400 - 500 mark) it is and remains well sought after.

The thread(s) intrigued so much that I a spent a bit of time this weekend digging. Blue Sharks has been a common name for groups but few (if more than 2 ?) have had recordings issued. There was a Belgian group that recorded for Star records in Belgium, just look how similar it is to the Gran Prix label. The Star issue came in a picture sleeve and gave the impression to have been taken on a bridge in New York however the number plate is Belgian. It's not unusual for Belgian groups/artists to go "abroad" to try and get some success, this is a small country with limited possibilities. Anyway I've found the writers and producers and will get to talk to them in a week or 2. Would be great if they all still lived here, maybe they did other soul sessions !!

post-4408-0-18401700-1340020803_thumb.jppost-4408-0-91301200-1340020807_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-18696000-1340020839_thumb.jppost-4408-0-75645900-1340020844_thumb.jp

Wonder what's next, Sylvie Vartan - De ma vie ?

Social source share

Steve, have managed to find circa a dozen references to "King Moses" in the Indianapolis Recorder. A couple from 1977 with the others from 1988/89

Unfortunately his name just appears amongst others who are appearing at local shows, mainly one put on annually by the Recorder itself. No real info at all.

Did get a photo from October 1988 which is deffo the same guy as in the Youtube clip

Great stuff, he loks the same as in the video clip.....maybe that was from the 80s, we'll have to check the fashions...

Social source share

Her daughter told me she passed away a few years back.

And she'd never received a penny in royalties from any company reissuing the record on cd.

But she didn't appear to know or want to know about how to try and claim royalties anyway.

Big shame, given what that (IYEWOOML) record means to so many people....

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Tony Borders.

Recorded for almost the whole of the '60s for an assortment of labels, made some of the most stupendous deep soul 45s ever to come out of the Muscle Shoals area...

....nothing, Other than the belief of a few that he 'might have' come from Texas.

Interesting, i thought he would have been known, 'Promise To Myself' is one of my treasured records.

Social source share

June Jackson, or HJ Jackson is a guy I've always wanted to contact, obviously cause of his Musette brace of 45's, i was told by Greg Tormo that he had spoken to him in the 8ts early 9ts maybe, but other that that June's just a name on one of my favorite records...

add Daphine Williams to that list, I tracked down loads of the Yodi people some years ago, label owner Alan Merry, Gus Thornton, Sharon Clarke, Mark Swansa and I was told Daphine was living in Texas, But that's as far as it got, he was supposed to be a bit of card according to Sharon Clarke.

mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

June Jackson, or HJ Jackson is a guy I've always wanted to contact, obviously cause of his Musette brace of 45's, i was told by Greg Tormo that he had spoken to him in the 8ts early 9ts maybe, but other that that June's just a name on one of my favorite records...

add Daphine Williams to that list, I tracked down loads of the Yodi people some years ago, label owner Alan Merry, Gus Thornton, Sharon Clarke, Mark Swansa and I was told Daphine was living in Texas, But that's as far as it got, he was supposed to be a bit of card according to Sharon Clarke.

mal

All of the living Yodi people, including Dauphine Williams, have been talked to by the numero group people who did the CD reissue. You can buy the CD and it has extensive liner notes.

Social source share

Yes Bob. According to a good source, I am saying the Al Wilson on Wand, Rubin on Kapp and Chuck Wood is JR Bailey.

Social source share

OK, just so I get this right:

Your friend Bobby Jay says that these three artists...

Chuck Wood

Al Wilson (!)

Rubin

...are infact all records done by J.R. Bailey or

:g:

None of the 4 sides by Chuck Wood on ROULETTE vocally sounds anything like Vernon Harrell.

He does sound like JR Bailey though. I'll stick with that, seeing as Bobby remembers the recording at Roulette and was the key DJ on wwrl 1600 in New York 1966/67.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Bob, a few days ago you asked me about Miami groups I wanted details on (been away watching William Bell, so couldn't answer then) .......... ANYWAY ....

My original comment wasn't about any particular group .... but there seem to be lots of male & female Miami / Florida based 60's group that we don't know who the members were or when people came & went in their line-ups.

Singers who went solo, such as the likes of Snoopy Dean, Paul Kelly, Annette Snell, Clarence Reid we know about which group they came out of coz they were written about during their solo years ... but lots of other local groups seemed to have very high profiles on the local 'white show room' & 'black' club scene without much of anything being known in detail about them.

I know Jeff Leimlich's site contains good info, but there are still big gaps.

When I asked about Jerry / Jerri Jones little seemed to be known about her time down in Miami (except the info I got from Jerry Williams who produced her Miami tracks) ...ALSO .... Kim Tolliver was an everpresent on the Miami club scene for a few years but nothing much is known about her time there (she was even billed as Kim Tarver for a few months after a type setters error). Not too much is known about another Cleveland guy that had a group down there; Billy Wells (who fronted the Invaders / Outer Limits). His exploits back up in Cleveland are known about ... but not too much (I believe) after he relocated to Miami.

But there are numerous other artists (Helen Glover for instance) and groups I'd like to know more about.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

john, i stopped following that thread, sorry.

my friend has a lot of info on billy wells, he recently talked to either billy or someone closely associated with him (I can ask). You are right that it's the same ohio guy as on Sweet Soul. That florida Mercede label just hired him to write and produce for the label. I'm not sure how he got onto Carla but I can ask my friend.

Social source share

Billy Wells seemed to establish himself in Miami at the same time as Kim Tolliver ...

Kim was fetched down there by Sam & Dave after performing with the duo on their nationwide Revue Shows. She seems to have liked Miami (what's not to) & settled there, performing solo shows not connected to S&D.

Don't know if Kim (long established on the Cleveland club scene) had anything to do with Billy (also long established on the Cleveland club scene) relocating to Miami, but they were good friends back up in Cleveland in the early 60's.

post-22122-0-42692000-1340090538_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave your next mission is Fluorescent Smogg from Lousiana/ Alabama :lol: Some pictures of them would be nice...I do know that a telegraph pole concert poster featuring them exists too! :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

He does sound like JR Bailey though. I'll stick with that, seeing as Bobby remembers the recording at Roulette and was the key DJ on wwrl 1600 in New York 1966/67.

Thanks for the clarification, Kev. :thumbsup:

I don't think Chuck Wood sounds like any of the J.R. Bailey tunes I've heard, but stranger things have happened.

Social source share

Guest woody no1

Dave your next mission is Fluorescent Smogg from Lousiana/ Alabama :lol: Some pictures of them would be nice...I do know that a telegraph pole concert poster featuring them exists too! :thumbsup:

yea dave thorley had the poster if my memory serves me right
Social source share

I talked to :

Chris Bartley

Van McCoy's half-sister

Shelby Singleton

Chris Jackson

David Kapralik

All had memories of him but couldn't help any further. Chris Bartley said that Tony Talent was a real singer and not VMc under a different name, apparently he was a 13 year old protege of VMc. BTW Chris Jackson was well mental and off his rocker when we talked :huh:

No, he sung other people's material but did most with VMc. Maybe the Shrinettes on SS could shed some light on him, hopefully it's the same BR who recorded on that label.

Another artist that recorded on Vando was Art Robins, he's still around living in Syracuse, you can actually see him on YouTube singing live, old soul numbers. Not even his son knows much about him............ :D

Social source share

my friend andy talked to all the members of flourescent smogg

Social source share

Yes Bob. According to a good source, I am saying the Al Wilson on Wand, Rubin on Kapp and Chuck Wood is JR Bailey.

Hi, surprising as I always thought Rubin was white :ohmy:

But I'd certainly buy Al Wilson = JR Bailey who co-wrote "help me" with Johnnie Northern. Probably something they knocked out in a morning.....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi, surprising as I always thought Rubin was white :ohmy:

But I'd certainly buy Al Wilson = JR Bailey who co-wrote "help me" with Johnnie Northern. Probably something they knocked out in a morning.....

steve......i,ve heard your dj spots.........sounds like theres a lot of artists you know nowt about lol :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!