Soul Source Record Of The Day,(Some Say It's The Nights Drawing In?)Late Fall2012

dthedrug

• Replies 806
  • Views 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Better make this the last one from me - I've posted a couple now.

This ones a right dirty little bugger - I love it though. Not sure if it ever had massive plays - great vocals, great dance record.

Fantastic Four Got to have Your Love

Peter

:thumbsup:

You need to get right into that box of yours, this is another cracking tune.

gary

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Right... gonna post something by the late (and very great) Jackie Opel Bridgetowns finest, this is the Wirl version of "Tears From My Eyes" I'm still trying to find a propper one of the Top Deck version (got a re-issue, but need a first one) A bit different I know, but what a voice the man had! Dave will probs know all about the man, Me, I just love his voice! and the sax on this (Roland Alphonso??) Dave! you'll have to tell me mate.

steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This ones a right dirty little bugger - I love it though. Not sure if it ever had massive plays - great vocals, great dance record.

Peter

new one here Peter! yup! lovin this mate... Sweet James I do! :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Right... gonna post something by the late (and very great) Jackie Opel Bridgetowns finest, this is the Wirl version of "Tears From My Eyes" I'm still trying to find a propper one of the Top Deck version (got a re-issue, but need a first one) A bit different I know, but what a voice the man had! Dave will probs know all about the man, Me, I just love his voice! and the sax on this (Roland Alphonso??) Dave! you'll have to tell me mate.

steve

Shows what I know - don't think I've ever heard of Jackie Opel yet listened to any of his tunes. Always pleased to be educated - this is different, but a cracker nontheless. Nice vocals - and sax don't get much better than that does it?

I thought for a minute he was being accompanied by Syd James! :D

Nice one Steve I enjoyed that.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My offering for today is the b side of In The Midnight Hour by Little Mac & The Boss Sounds which is a female vocal to the same tune . Cant find it on the net except credited to Ann Mason but it sounds to be the same vocalist....anyway

You Can't Love Me (In The Midnight Hour) - Little Mac & The Boss Sounds, on Atlantic (584031)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Violinaires - I Don't Know

I bought this recently on the strength of their Gospel Classics connection. I personally really like it but would be interested to know others thoughts. Maybe you have to go to church on Sundays to get into it ? :thumbup:

Got the following off the net:-

Members of "The Gospel Classics" were previous members of the Violinaires. The members were Melvin Reed, Leo Coney, Wilson DeShields, James Malone, Cleofas Tilmon, Elceanor Debose, and Charles Williams Five of them were previous Violinaires.

post-19579-0-29232400-1351321352_thumb.j

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter

Interesting writing and production credits on that - I really like it!

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Morning all ! played this last night at Swift Towers (managed not to sit on any 45's :thumbup: ) always in the shadow of Keanya Collins but a great version IMHO.

PATTI & THE LOVELITES - LOVE BANDIT - COTILLION

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

I prefer Patti's version myself Swifty, but I do have a real soft spot for Patti Hamilton, I think sh'e so underated as a singer and a writer, one of my fav female vocalists :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I prefer Patti's version myself Swifty, but I do have a real soft spot for Patti Hamilton, I think sh'e so underated as a singer and a writer, one of my fav female vocalists :thumbsup:

steve

Agree Steve , bloody great artist , another one of my faves is 'My Baby Loves me' , sold a minty copy on ebay for £13 Doh!

Cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't imagine this one hasn't been posted before but just saw it go through ebay for $15, which seemed a good price. Great 2 sider but I'm going to post just the one.

Johnny Moore - That's What You Said

Nice one mate, really rate his bluerock 45's, gotta say I prefer the flip to this, "Lonely Heart In The City" :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another arrived yesterday , keep selling one then end up getting another for myself , weird this record collecting game , eh?

THE DYNAMOS - YOU CAN DO IT FOR YOURSELF - DYNAMO

mines 7" (record that is! :lol: ) but the youtube is showing the 12" (ooh er mrs.!!) but both are 4.20 , do don't know if they are any different

Cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Violinaires - I Don't Know

I bought this recently on the strength of their Gospel Classics connection. I personally really like it but would be interested to know others thoughts. Maybe you have to go to church on Sundays to get into it ? :thumbup:

Got the following off the net:-

Members of "The Gospel Classics" were previous members of the Violinaires. The members were Melvin Reed, Leo Coney, Wilson DeShields, James Malone, Cleofas Tilmon, Elceanor Debose, and Charles Williams Five of them were previous Violinaires.

really like it myself , might even go to church in the morning :thumbsup:
Social source share

Over to Cleveland Ohio for this one. On the O'jays own label from late 70's we have Truth and their "Come Back Home"

the group had at one time been the Imperial Wonders on Solid Foundation. Gotta say this is 7 minutes of PURE SOUL and to my ears just about the best 7 min's of music ever put on a 45! the vocals of Larry Hancock (ex S.O.U.L. on Musicor) and Leo Green are sublime on this epic and classic builder. Often wondered what the O'jays would have done with this, and tho I'm an immense fan of them, think Eddie Levert and the guys would have come 2nd to this version. Just IMHO I hasten to add!

The guys went on to do "Coming Home" on another Cleveland label Devaki, a track also covered by the Temptations but the Tempt's changed the writing credits to their names?

Turn the lights down low and grab a slice of skin tingling Soul!

Steve

Social source share

martha and the vandellas / what am i going to do without your love

on gordy label , so much good stuff from this group

Agree - I posted a Motown podcast on here today ( Video/ Audio ) which begins with a MR & Vandellas track - recommended listening - honest!

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

WOW ! Been away for two days and we're on page 4 already!

Bit of Motown from me today. Available on a 45 by the Monitors, but this is the best version for me...

Temptations - "Say you" from the Gettin Ready LP

Dave

Love this track Dave, I maybe a bit controversial here, but I will always prefer The Monitors version. I just think Richard Street really made this track his own. and I love the smoother feel to the Monitors backing harmonies.

steve

Social source share

Love this track Dave, I maybe a bit controversial here, but I will always prefer The Monitors version. I just think Richard Street really made this track his own. and I love the smoother feel to the Monitors backing harmonies.

steve

Hi Steve

Nothing controversial mate! Two great versions, and everyone will have their own favourite.

Love the Truth track too. new one for me.

Cheers

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve , think I used to have this , can see where you're coming from with the O'jays , is the the other side a Funk track or am I thinking of something else on the label? Nice tune !

Hi Swifty, it'll be the same disc mate, tother side is "Excedrin Headache #24" dunno what they did with the previous 23 headaches but they sang about this one! :D and yes mate... a funky number.

steve

Edited by Edge
Social source share

Hi Swifty, it'll be the same disc mate, tother side is "Excedrin Headache #24" dunno what they did with the previous 23 headaches but they sang about this one! :D and yes mate... a funky number.

steve

Steve , apparently the funk side used to fetch big bucks a few years ago (fook knows why eh?) a few years ago I bought a soul pack off Mr. Lavine and this was in there and I never played that side :huh:

Social source share

Steve , apparently the funk side used to fetch big bucks a few years ago (fook knows why eh?) a few years ago I bought a soul pack off Mr. Lavine and this was in there and I never played that side :huh:

Not a lover of the funky side Swifty, some of them funky tunes amaze me with what they go for? but the old adage

"It doesn't mater what music you're into, as long as ya into ya music" always holds true imho.

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share