• Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

steelers - get it from the bottom - date

tsu toronados - what good am i - atlantic

by the way, would these be classed as crossover these days :thumbsup:

I think the TSU Tornados probably classed as crossover now, I did play it out quite a bit back in the 80's, lots of people said it was great but about only about 3 people ever danced blush.gif

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

steelers - get it from the bottom - date

tsu toronados - what good am i - atlantic

by the way, would these be classed as crossover these days :yes:

Don't know about the pigeon-holing bit Dan, but I bought the Steelers after hearing at Thorne - and I heard the TSU T's effort ph34r.gif at doo's overf the years - Pitches, The Hoist, Bretby, Albrighton (but it's probably too cheap to really catch on). But they did say that about Bettye Swann :thumbsup:

Another cheap goodie in the 'what good am I' ilk is 'Mark Putneys 'Todays Man'

Social source share

Don't know about the pigeon-holing bit Dan, but I bought the Steelers after hearing at Thorne - and I heard the TSU T's effort ph34r.gif at doo's overf the years - Pitches, The Hoist, Bretby, Albrighton (but it's probably too cheap to really catch on). But they did say that about Bettye Swann :thumbsup:

thanks rich

know what you mean about too cheap but then ace spectrum's real value is about the same, or maybe even less rarity wise i'd guess(?), and that went mad price-wise

never heard mark putney before but just listened on soul club, you're right it's a good tune, nice horns :yes:

Social source share

The Hoist, great venue Scotty :yes:

Social source share

thanks rich

know what you mean about too cheap but then ace spectrum's real value is about the same, or maybe even less rarity wise i'd guess(?), and that went mad price-wise

never heard mark putney before but just listened on soul club, you're right it's a good tune, nice horns :thumbsup:

TSU track IMHO and taste is far better than Ace Spectrum..... at about 15 - 25 quid a ruddy great bargain too!!!!

Rich

Social source share

talking last night about this.....Howard Tate ''half a man'' £5 ? £10 ? soul and then a bit !!!and is it played anywhere ????????????

Hi Headsy

This was played quite a bit at George Jackson! in London a couple of years back. A fantastic record - I wonder how many people have seen this in a box and been put off by 'Look at Granny Run Run' on the other side! Shouldn't be more than a tenner.

Social source share

Hi Headsy

This was played quite a bit at George Jackson! in London a couple of years back. A fantastic record - I wonder how many people have seen this in a box and been put off by 'Look at Granny Run Run' on the other side! Shouldn't be more than a tenner.

Must agree a brilliant 45.. and most probably always over looked because of price etc. Nice to see the man himself back in action a couple of years ago with a new CD and apearance on Jools Holland.

Regards

Rich

and another one for you,Ann Peebles ''if this is heaven'' on HI £5 but good........

' Gonna tear Your Playhuose Down ' just slays me every time from the ever brilliant Ms Peebles..Still cheap too!

Regards

Rich

Social source share

TSU track IMHO and taste is far better than Ace Spectrum..... at about 15 - 25 quid a ruddy great bargain too!!!!

Rich

no argument, miles better (though i must be one of the few people who will admit to liking ace spectrum [dsne], but i've always been sucker for handclaps on the dancefloor and this is one of the best for that)

Social source share

thanks rich

never heard mark putney before but just listened on soul club, you're right it's a good tune, nice horns :thumbsup:

M Putney,try the other side too......top two-sider :good:
Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Both great records! Played the Steelers to death way back in the 90s. That cut was a huge hit in Chicago in the summer of 69-years before I was born, of course. I heard that 'Get It From The Bottom' was originally issued on TORRID before it got picked up by DATE. Anybody? They are still performing together! My hommie Bob interviewed them for his radio show, you can listen to it here https://sittinginthepark.com/interviews/ste...s-1-16-2005.mp3

TSU Tornadoes we're the group that laid down the groove that changed everything, the Tighten Up. by Archie Bell. They were the Ovide studio band and took their name from Texas State University. The flip 'Getting The Corners is pretty hot. They have some pretty seriously rare records. 'A Thousand Wonders' on OVIDE. Cal Thompson, lead and guitar on 'What Good Am I' died just last last year.

BDP in CHI

Social source share

Two good 45s there ... my preference would probably be for "Can't stand this pain" by the Steelers on Epic .. nice midpace dancer ... while "What good am I" is my fave TSU's thing, I've got a real soft spot for their cover of Gene Chandler's "Nothing can stop me" too... :shhh: Good to see Mark Putney getting props too, Ovide is a seriously underrated soul label. Sebastian Williams anyone???

Steve

Social source share

Both great records! Played the Steelers to death way back in the 90s. That cut was a huge hit in Chicago in the summer of 69-years before I was born, of course. I heard that 'Get It From The Bottom' was originally issued on TORRID before it got picked up by DATE. Anybody? They are still performing together! My hommie Bob interviewed them for his radio show, you can listen to it here https://sittinginthepark.com/interviews/ste...s-1-16-2005.mp3

TSU Tornadoes we're the group that laid down the groove that changed everything, the Tighten Up. by Archie Bell. They were the Ovide studio band and took their name from Texas State University. The flip 'Getting The Corners is pretty hot. They have some pretty seriously rare records. 'A Thousand Wonders' on OVIDE. Cal Thompson, lead and guitar on 'What Good Am I' died just last last year.

BDP in CHI

They're called the TORONADOES (named after a car, of all things). It's actually Texas SOUTHERN University (in Houston), where they were students, and some would say that Billy Ball and The Upsetters were responsible for Tighten Up - it appears on the reverse of You've Got Me Digging You (King 5173).

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

The TSU Toronadoes were a fantastic group, and I never tire of hearing pretty much any of their records (try things like I Still Love You (Ovide/Volt) or Play The Music Toronadoes (again Ovide/Volt), Got To Get Through To You (Atlantic) and the other side of Nothing Can Stop Me, Only Inside (Ovide)).

Must mention the other side of What Good Am I, Getting The Corners (I know somebody else has already.) Whenever I hear this spun in clubs (I know Trouble has played it a bit in the past) I always think "this is brilliant, I must find out what it is" and then realise that I've had it for years: maybe the sign of a great record in that it always sounds fresh, despite being really catchy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert