His Way With The Girls - Sparkly Dresses Time

Guest Brian Ellis

Brian i was racking my brains trying to think where that record went, via ebay was it not? rasonable price i seem to remember...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark

Yes, via eBay @ £30 and now residing in North Wales. I was astonished that I was the only bidder; you'd have got more £££ from me if someone else was bidding at the same time. Nice acquisition - you don't see it very often. The one Chris Anderton has for sale @ £20 is cheap as chips - if it's not gone yet someone should bite his hand off :) .

What price if this was filling dancefloors?? whistling.gif

Best - Brian

Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lornettes His way with the girls

Tony

Nice one Tony, brilliant - one that Randy gave me many years ago because I didn't know it!!!

Played it at SITC a couple of times in 2005 to minimal interest, no taste some people :D:)

Don't think I had much joy with it at These Old Shoes either Dave

As you say no taste whistling.gif

Edited by AndyF
Social source share

Pat Brown " The Good Got To Suffer For The Bad " Seven B

Sandra Stephens " If You Really Love Me " Ja Wes

A couple of real class numbers!!!!!!

whistling.gif

you beat me to it Sandra Stephens great record certainly gets spun wen im djin got mine on Daran tho

Sweet Temptation - Caressa Watson same as Martha Star

Youve been so wonderful to me - Supremes

Yes the list is endless :)

HB :D

Social source share

you beat me to it Sandra Stephens great record certainly gets spun wen im djin got mine on Daran tho

Sweet Temptation - Caressa Watson same as Martha Star

HB thumbsup.gif

Who is Cressa Watson, is she Martha Starr? Sound very similiar to me, only difference to these lug holes is the break and 20 seconds or so longer of the Martha version?

Social source share

Who is Cressa Watson, is she Martha Starr? Sound very similiar to me, only difference to these lug holes is the break and 20 seconds or so longer of the Martha version?

I think so but its on a kent LP as cressa watson :(

HB :P

Social source share

Popular thread this one...lol, just played through this little lot, plenty of sparkle here!!!!

Anna Craig - Nobody Loves Me - 20th Century - Nice little cheap record.

Chris Clark - Don't Be Too Long - VIP - Brilliant tune.Blue eyed with very big hair and such a sweet voice.

Ruby Lee - I Believe In You - Poptone - X Stafford spin still sounds good to me. Great R'n'B style flip that needs a spin and a mention.

Delicates - Stop Shoving Me Around - Soultown - Love this, not that well known but does it for me.

Timiko - Is It A Sin - Checker - Early Chicago gem.

Tamiko - Don't Laugh If I Cry At Your Party - Atco - Same lady as above i think different spelling, anyone know? if they are one of the same, sounds like it.

Patty Livingstone - I've Got My Baby - Dimension - Big hair, bright dress....big drama.

Tammy Wayne - Have A Good Time - Boom - As above but more so...lol

The Sweethearts - Beauty Is Just Skin Deep - Kent - Old Yate type spin, one of the best in this style awesome.

The Persionettes - Call On Me B/W It Happens Every Day - OR - Two great manic sides, love them both.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Theresa Lindsay - Daddy O (Golden World)

When I think of some of the TRIPE that gets played on this scene while records like the above beg to be reactivated it makes me want to - er... MMmmmm... I dunno ... actually. Type on a keyboard ? yeah that's it... :P:(

hammy

Social source share

Theresa Lindsay - Daddy O (Golden World)

When I think of some of the TRIPE that gets played on this scene while records like the above beg to be reactivated it makes me want to - er... MMmmmm... I dunno ... actually. Type on a keyboard ? yeah that's it... :P:(

hammy

I love this and play it myself out and agree it needs playing more. Great flip side too. Also love Gotta find a way by Theresa on Correc- Tone.

Also on the subject of Golden world I also love Baby Boy by Juanita Williams and some of the Barbara Mercer releases on there. Great stuff!

Social source share

it's on another lp, cheap thing with other Charay stuff on it, title and label escapes me at present :P

seem to remember Cressa Watson - Sweet Temptation in a Charay listing, possible when discussed on the old Soul Talk e-mail list? Never seen one or heard of one to be honest. The Charay listing is somewhere in a drawer I have here full of notes, one day I'll go through them and sort em all out :P

20 Great Unknown Soul Tracks - on Cascade (part of Ace)

thats the one Joe :(

Social source share

I love this and play it myself out and agree it needs playing more. Great flip side too. Also love Gotta find a way by Theresa on Correc- Tone.

Also on the subject of Golden world I also love Baby Boy by Juanita Williams and some of the Barbara Mercer releases on there. Great stuff!

Bought Theresa Lindsey for the other side I'LL BET YOU, also listened to Barbara Mercer "HEY" recently, which I forgot I had in my box.

Social source share

And finally.............

The Lovations - Heaven Told Me So B/W (I Keep Singing) La La La Ohh- Part III - One of the best records i've mentioned in this thread also turned out to be quite hard to find not loads of money but i bet most of the copies out there are tucked away in collections, i bought this years ago for about £8.00, two stunning sides.

Oh i'm still looking for The Liberty Bells on Shout and The Para - Monts on Ole if anyone can help drop me an email bicknellmark@aol.com

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Marva W. Taylor - Nothing I'd Rather Be Than Your Weakness :P Just beautiful!

Faye Ross - You ain't right / Faith, hope & trust :( Two good sides

Nancy - Trying to keep from crying :P Heroin chic funk. Not for everyone.

Fuzz - Like an open door :D Heavenly

Zena Foster - Make it me / Baby, let me teach you :D

B. B. Butler - I hope I don't cry :good: Good ballad

Social source share

Bootleggers Featuring Cathy Carlson - Don't Count On Tomorrow - Discovery. How good is this, absolutely brilliant slab of soul :P

got to agree on this Chalk.magic....does anyone ever play this out...or is it too slow?

This must have been released during the Vietnam war...it has"Don't draft me"etched in the run out groove

Social source share

Bootleggers Featuring Cathy Carlson - Don't Count On Tomorrow - Discovery. How good is this, absolutely brilliant slab of soul :P

Was it not the other side of this, the instrumental that was played, Keb cover up if remember rightly, I had this for a good few years but never really got the vocal side, also gave it away as it wasn't worth pennies in the 80's, seems to have had a jump since then!!

Cheers

Jock,

PS Edwin mines also used to have the don't draft me scratched in,

Social source share

Was it not the other side of this, the instrumental that was played, Keb cover up if remember rightly, I had this for a good few years but never really got the vocal side, also gave it away as it wasn't worth pennies in the 80's, seems to have had a jump since then!!

I'm a bit peeved about this...I thought Dave Malloy was very kind to sell me his copy for 3 quid....and now I find out other people were giving them away :unsure::unsure:

Social source share

Cheers

Jock,

PS Edwin mines also used to have the don't draft me scratched in,

The flip is June Jackson and title escapes me at moment. Never hear it now Edwin, possibly is a touch too slow.

Social source share

Popular thread this one...lol, just played through this little lot, plenty of sparkle here!!!!

Anna Craig - Nobody Loves Me - 20th Century - Nice little cheap record.

Chris Clark - Don't Be Too Long - VIP - Brilliant tune.Blue eyed with very big hair and such a sweet voice.

Ruby Lee - I Believe In You - Poptone - X Stafford spin still sounds good to me. Great R'n'B style flip that needs a spin and a mention.

Delicates - Stop Shoving Me Around - Soultown - Love this, not that well known but does it for me.

Timiko - Is It A Sin - Checker - Early Chicago gem.

Tamiko - Don't Laugh If I Cry At Your Party - Atco - Same lady as above i think different spelling, anyone know? if they are one of the same, sounds like it.

Patty Livingstone - I've Got My Baby - Dimension - Big hair, bright dress....big drama.

Tammy Wayne - Have A Good Time - Boom - As above but more so...lol

The Sweethearts - Beauty Is Just Skin Deep - Kent - Old Yate type spin, one of the best in this style awesome.

The Persionettes - Call On Me B/W It Happens Every Day - OR - Two great manic sides, love them both.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark that Delicates is class (came out on a second label I think with a good flip )

Social source share

Mark that Delicates is class (came out on a second label I think with a good flip )

That ZTSC is definitely class ...... but not a girl :unsure:

So here are a few records by some 'TOP BIRD'S' i've been playing recently ...... cos GIRLS ROCK!!

SHARON SCOTT - COULD IT BE YOU - RCA

BONNIE BRISKER - SO MUCH LOVIN' - MAGIC CITY

SANDY HADLEY - SINCE I FOUND A LOVE - SO CHAR

BETTY EVERETT - LOVE COMES TUMBLING DOWN - ABC

VICKIE STYLES - TEARS KEEP FALLING - O DEX

Social source share

Seems to be a hard ABC number to find Rachel, had mine years but never really played it much, 'Back Door Kenny' will remember this one infact he had it way way back in the very early 80's, infact he played it to me first.........cheers Kenny :unsure:

Mark Bicknell

Cheer`s Mark :unsure: sold it Jock C,who as lost it :thumbsup: ,deffo a cheapo` when got it,£3 or something,sold for about £20 cant remember,ask J C,nice record :thumbsup:
Social source share

The Bluebells - your just fooling yourself - rainbow......other side aint bad either :unsure:

Anyone know this :thumbsup:

Good Luck.mp3

Think you`ve uncovered it Baz,and now it`ll be £30-?,instead of a fiver,i still think i got it somewhere?,might have a quick look later.... :unsure:
Social source share

That ZTSC is definitely class ...... but not a girl :unsure:

So here are a few records by some 'TOP BIRD'S' i've been playing recently ...... cos GIRLS ROCK!!

All top birds . ( love Bonnie Brisker , she is just a class Detroit bird ! ) . Vickie Styles :unsure:

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

Dena Barnes IYEWOOML

Dana Valery

Christine Cooper Heartaches.......

Nancy Ames

Diane Lewis No one etc

As for the Star Treks, how come this was not one of the biggest ever!!!?

Love Martha Reeves voice. I'll never be alone and No More Tearstained Make up are just awesome!

Social source share

Dena Barnes IYEWOOML

Christine Cooper Heartaches.......

Another Christine Cooper... Good looks............Parkway

Barbara Jackson.......Big man...........Warner Bros, this in not evev on JM's bible.

Also a record that used to get played at the MECCA, which i think is underated Carolyn Frank.......Boxer.....RCA.

Driving in the car this morning, listening to a tape, Linda Queen...Where can my baby be.....Rod.

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

THE LOVELITES - OH WHAT A DAY/LOVE SO STRONG/MY CONSCIENCE

VEDA LOVE - MAKE ME YOURS TONIGHT

ESTHER PHILLIPS-I'VE NEVER FOUND A MAN TO LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO

FRANKIE GEARING - SPINNING TOP

ELEANOR MILLS - I'M GONNA GET YOU

Social source share

Another Christine Cooper... Good looks............Parkway

Barbara Jackson.......Big man...........Warner Bros, this in not evev on JM's bible.

Also a record that used to get played at the MECCA, which i think is underated Carolyn Frank.......Boxer.....RCA.

Driving in the car this morning, listening to a tape, Linda Queen...Where can my baby be.....Rod.

Always liked the Barbara Jackson...wanna sell it???? lol

Mark Bicknell.

That ZTSC is definitely class ...... but not a girl smile.gif

Girlies Rock...dip your hips Joan Baby...yummy tunes.

Mark Bicknell.

Did it now that is interesting do you know what label????

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Lots of interesting posts here, seems like i can find a good topic to through in the mix from time to time, just to keep it fresh here's another five to be going on with.

The Birds - I'd Love To - Sue - This is an odd ball record which i've had for years, picked it up for a few quid when i was into collecting the Sue,Eastern,Symbol,Crackerjack,Broadway logo's, i reckon this is quite obscure ? kind of the ladies meet Smokey Robinson 'Shop Around' groove going on, powerful vocals but very basic, good tune, anyone know if this is a rare Sue number to locate?

The Identities - When Love Slips Away - House Of Fox - Great version of the Dee Dee Warwick track, smooth production, beautiful record.

Thelma Jones - Oh,Oh Here Comes The Heartbreak - Barry - Written and arranged by Robert Banks say no more superb little record.

Dorothy Berry - You Better Watch Out - Planetary - Needs Playing out and about, a solid record for any collection.

The Ikettes - What'cha Gonna Do (When I Leave You) written and produced by Ike Turner, powerhouse record which also came out on British, another top tune that has loads of play in it.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

One slowie Kenni Woods....AKA Sandi Sheldon....Can't he take a hint....Philips. Think this was mention a few weeks ago, on another theme, I think this is excellent :

Also - Barbara West... Congratulations baby.........Ronn, *

Pat Brady played a record @ the last Greatstone with the same backing as this...Anybody know the title ??

Aleina Reed......Don't let me fall in love alone........Capitol. Excellent crossover.

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

One slowie Kenni Woods....AKA Sandi Sheldon....Can't he take a hint....Philips. Think this was mention a few weeks ago, on another theme, I think this is excellent

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert