Shrine Records Collection

snooky

Thanks again Steve, and to Soulwolf for the reference to the sleeve notes. Massive respect to Andy Rix, what a piece to have written that will be an enduring record of what happened.

Anyone got the information on issues v demos ? And what happened re the misspress ?

The reason there's demos of the first one or two releases is because it was a different 'series', an earlier one.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Blueimage

Epsilons is most common of the lot because it was the only Shrine 45 well distributed around the eastern region prior to most of the other catalogue stock being stored away, then eventually burned, while in the Waxie Maxie's/Schwartz brothers distrubutor warehouse in DC. The riots did them in.

Social source share

The reason there's demos of the first one or two releases is because it was a different 'series', an earlier one.

so if I'm following you Pete, the answer is there are no demos after the 'torch' logo was adapted ?

Agreed, I've got that bit right ?

but I'm still interested, and, let's be honest, probably getting obsessed now, in the mispress.

I know someone knows the story, there's always someone who'se forgotten more than I know.

So.....the mispress ; how / way / who / where / how many ...............anyone ?

cheers

pete

Social source share

Don't think it would be classed as a different series just a change in label design? The numbering is consecutive.

It does say in the sleeve notes for the CD that "After the Leroy Taylor 45 Eddie changed the appearance of the Shrine label. He had made a sketch sometime before, which was representative of the eternal flame on JFK's gravestone. An artist transformed it into the logo that would become the Shrine symbol from the third release onwards".

Social source share

The mispress is Eddie Daye,but the B side plays the Cairos,stop over looking me....I believe.

It does. They were consecutive releases and I think someone forgot to change both the moulds over. However they could have been done for promo purposes but I doubt it

The ones I have have "Stop Overlooking Me" on a typed label stuck on

Social source share

Butch has played it at Lifeline and other venues. Thought he got it a couple of years ago now?

It was more than 5 years ago I received the image and a CDR. As far as I know, he knows and has communicated with Butch sometimes but I am not sure if he sold it to Butch. But he is one of famous collectors in Japan, so I don't think he sold it. I will ask Butch about his copy when he comes to Japan in the early next month.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!