Margaret Little On Ebay

Soulsider

People are, thankfully, free to spend their money on whatever they want.

I buy records that I want and never pay more than I am willing to.

I used to go to the US several times a year buying records and bought tons of stuff at next to nowt. Many duplicates etc which I have now started selling at a healthy profit, so I now buy out of those profits mostly.

To be honest though, I didn't actually read the description on this one or I wouldn't have bid. I'm so happy I was outbid :)

You've already said you'd pay big money for knackered 45's to hang on your wall, Salvadors? Lester Tipton, . I think this really is obscene. it has nothing to do with the music as you can't play it, so it now like having a stinking moose head seeping over you dinner guests while you try to impress them , "ignore the smell" ..

Social source share

You've already said you'd pay big money for knackered 45's to hang on your wall, Salvadors? Lester Tipton, . I think this really is obscene. it has nothing to do with the music as you can't play it, so it now like having a stinking moose head seeping over you dinner guests while you try to impress them , "ignore the smell" ..

I did nt say that I'd pay big money for stuff to hang on my wall.

I have one big record hanging on a wall which is nakkered (Tipton) but I didn't pay big money for it far from it.

I bid on this record without reading the description and tried to make light of it as I felt such a tw@t about it. The list of bidders is visible on eBay when auctions have finished so it would have been apparent how much I had bid.

Mind you even if I had have bid on it to hang on the wall, how would that be obscene?

I am absolutely sure thad most of the others who have bid on this, like me just got a rush of blood to the head and didn't read the descriptions properly.

Social source share

Get you!

I'm impressed!

Do you bother looking at the supermarket, or do you just throw your money around and wait for the little people to do something for you?

No idea what this is supposed to mean?

I don't have money to throw around. And even if I did I wouldn't do it in a "supermarket".

What's a "supermarket" anyway?

Social source share

The list of bidders is visible on eBay when auctions have finished so it would have been apparent how much I had bid.

this is not currently true on ebay. the bidder list looks exactly the same during and after the auction.

Also, not directed at either one of you, please stop bickering, this isn't an argument that's going anywhere and escalating it won't do anything. Thank you.

Social source share

this is not currently true on ebay. the bidder list looks exactly the same during and after the auction.

Also, not directed at either one of you, please stop bickering, this isn't an argument that's going anywhere and escalating it won't do anything. Thank you.

Oh OK. I only ever look at the list thesevdays when I'm selling. Must be different for buyers.

I will stop commenting on this thread now. Got a moose head to hang anyway

Social source share

In all seriousness I think it makes British collectors look like they've lost their marbles, obviously the recession isn't touching people who can burn more than $800 on a f**ked 45, rare or, otherwise, and no wonder more and more trashed 45's show up for sale. Andy Rix should auction the six pieces of the Counts Shrine 45, he might end up with a couple of grand.

For each piece at this rate!! :yes::lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you could edit the boot intro and join it to a digital copy of the rest of the rest of this 45 and make a Carver and play it out. You could then use the chipped copy as evidence you own the original when playing the carver. Might sound daft, but it can (and might be) done quite easily.

Social source share

you could edit the boot intro and join it to a digital copy of the rest of the rest of this 45 and make a Carver and play it out. You could then use the chipped copy as evidence you own the original when playing the carver. Might sound daft, but it can (and might be) done quite easily.

Might as well play that Detroit Stars reissue and show them the busted original :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I bid on this record without reading the description ... I am absolutely sure that most of the others who have bid on this, like me just got a rush of blood to the head and didn't read the descriptions properly.

I have to say, I seriously doubt that was the case at all with the other bidders.

There are 7 bidders and some of them have bid several times (automatic bids are not shown - only actual bids placed).

I just can't believe anyone (perhaps with the exception of your good self) would place a bit of several hundred pounds on an eBay auction for a record which (regardless of Brad's very clear and honest written descriptions) has 6 good quality pictures right at the top of the listing - all of which show the record is very well used, and 3 of which show a large chunk of vinyl is missing.

The pics were the very first thing I saw.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

There's many on this scene who haven't given a sh*t about condition for a long time, surprised some haven't realised this.

It isn't about condition with many over here now it is an ego thing as in "ooh look what I've just spent £xxx on and I'm now DJing with it".

As Tony says the Yanks must be having a right laugh at Brit collectors.

Like you say Richard I can't believe anyone bid on this without seeing the photo's, must have been wasted.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I have to say, I seriously doubt that was the case at all with the other bidders.

There are 7 bidders and some of them have bid several times (automatic bids are not shown - only actual bids placed).

I just can't believe anyone (perhaps with the exception of your good self) would place a bit of several hundred pounds on an eBay auction for a record which (regardless of Brad's very clear and honest written descriptions) has 6 good quality pictures right at the top of the listing - all of which show the record is very well used, and 3 of which show a large chunk of vinyl is missing.

The pics were the very first thing I saw.

Cheers

Richard

To be honest, I didn't even look at the detailed pictures just the one on the main listing and put in a bid.

It was only later when the awful realisatoion hit me.

Luckily someone else outbid me :D

Social source share

There's many on this scene who haven't given a sh*t about condition for a long time, surprised some haven't realised this.

It isn't about condition with many over here now it is an ego thing as in "ooh look what I've just spent £xxx on and I'm now DJing with it".

Like you say Richard I can't believe anyone bid on this without seeing the photo's, must have been wasted.

I for one have never really cared about condition. I would obvioiusly much rather have the best condition copy of a record that I can. But, provided, it plays I would rather have the record than not and upgrade where necessary later

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm never ceased to be amazed on what people will bid on.

Introduction missing and cracked. :facepalm:

https://www.ebay.com/...=item2326638bef

Doesn't surprise me one bit. There are some real fanatics in this scene who think a rare 45-even if unplayable-is worth owning! I remember one time I made a copy (which I thought was unplayable) of Jack Montgomery-Don't Turn Your Back On Me-Barracuda into a wallclock. Had some company round. Someone saw it (Keith from Eccles I think) and offered me £200 in cash and trades for it. I thought he was a bit mad at the time but if he wanted it why not?

Social source share

Now it's getting interesting.

The high bid has been removed :ohmy:

Now showing only 16 bids with the high bid at $630 (about £389).

Phil - you better check it as you might be the high bidder again :yes:

Cheers

Richard

No.

It was only me who removed my bid. thereby it drops all the others down

Social source share

Bob

Got to stick with Tony here.

With the recession and the pure hardship many people in this country, and around this world, are going through, the fact that someone can bid $880 on a totally messed up record, and then have the brass balls to come on here and tell us all he didn't even really check the 45 before he bid, because he has plenty of cash in his Paypal account - and then say he was embarrassed as he messed up and wouldn't have bid if he had looked properly -and then have the pure cheek to withdraw his bid ...

The guy is s total Phil Dick.

Richard

MODERATOR EDIT -- don't use foul language

Social source share

First of all, you can make the point more objectively and abstractly -- e.g. you can say that someone bidding blind on an expensive record without reading the description and then just withdrawing the bid is offensive. You don't have to make it personal, which is clearly what this is, with the cussing and direct snipes. You can mention Phil and his actions but he's being addressed pretty personally and in an attacking way.

Second of all, I think there is a big focus on the cost of record and the linking of it to someone's status on the scene all the time here. It might be less explicit, but I feel it's pretty pervasive -- e.g. who can afford the expensive records required of an "OVO" DJ, if they want to play the currently in demand records? Your singling out of Phil's attitude here I think really hides this fact.

Anyways, I don't want to censor your opinion about Phil's actions, but you don't have to put your opinion in the form of a direct personal attack.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't think it's right to bid that amount on a smashed record, but hey, it's a free world, I wouldn't get all moralistic about it, because it's all relative, some (not me) would argue it wrong to spend that amount on ANY record, let alone the smashed one.

I'd rather have one of those Martha Reeves prints that the seller has up for sale anyways.

Incidentally, I have bought from this seller in the past they put up some pretty nice discs, pretty sure I got Belita Woods for a couple of dollars.

Aid.

Social source share

" the scene " ? As in the "rare soul scene " ,where records thst have survivrd 40+ yrs and in many cases are almost extinct !

" the scene " where a lot of people still care about and confirm to the O.V.O ethics !

I'm almost at the point of feeling so guilty about buying records ,that are so rare ,that it makes me look like a sad t##t ,that I should know better at my age .....and compared to most ,I'm quite young .

The saddest thing for me is that there are so many people out there ,spending their own ,hard earned dosh ,enjoying doing so ,yet are constantly being ridiculed for doing so .

Ffs why don't we all wake up ,smell the coffee ,stop the USA sellers takin the proverbial "p#ss and just roll with technology and start playing CD's !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

" the scene " ? As in the "rare soul scene " ,where records thst have survivrd 40+ yrs and in many cases are almost extinct !

" the scene " where a lot of people still care about and confirm to the O.V.O ethics !

I'm almost at the point of feeling so guilty about buying records ,that are so rare ,that it makes me look like a sad t##t ,that I should know better at my age .....and compared to most ,I'm quite young .

The saddest thing for me is that there are so many people out there ,spending their own ,hard earned dosh ,enjoying doing so ,yet are constantly being ridiculed for doing so .

Ffs why don't we all wake up ,smell the coffee ,stop the USA sellers takin the proverbial "p#ss and just roll with technology and start playing CD's !

It make sense Nev, but it's just wouldn't be right would it?

I must have about 3 to 4 thousand tracks digitised, ripped from cd's onto hard disk, all good quality ( as I'm into my hi-fi ) that I stream though my system & control with an iPad, giving me instant access on high end sound.

But that will never be the same a picking up a record & sticking it on a turntable & wait for the needle to drop or just owning a top record, that is tactile & tangible.

Aid.

Social source share

The US sellers aren't taking the p*ss, its the idiots paying way over the top prices for records, be they records that are f*cked and paying mint prices or simply paying far more for records than they usually sell, you are one of those or was one of those that often highlighted such sales. People are paying way over the odds when a quick search on the internet will source the record far cheaper from a dealer or seller. There is a topic on here almost daily of some lunatic buying a record at a massively inflated price. They are f*cking it up for collectors who are then forced to pay the inflated prices.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The US sellers aren't taking the p*ss, its the idiots paying way over the top prices for records, be they be records that are f*cked and paying mint prices or simply paying far more for records than they usually sell, you are one of those or was one of those that often highlighted such sales. People are paying way over the odds when a quick search on the internet will source the record far cheaper from a dealer or seller. There is a topic on here almost daily of some lunatic buying a record at a massively inflated price. They are f*cking it up for collectors who are then forced to pay the inflated prices.

I think you should quit now mate ..for every desperado paying silly money for inferior quality vinyl ,there is also many a top "A" list dj paying very serious money to own a exclusive rare 45 .

Gone are the days when records are being found for a dollar by top dj's and then being sought after rarities by us mere mortals .

Infact ,I'd go as far as to say some of the highest prices being paid today ,that have pushed the price of records up dramatically ,are by top dj's !

But ,and this is the crux ..as far as I'm concerned ,it's up to the individual what he / she wants to spend ,or can afford ,it's there business and I personally have no problem with it .

It's not always a case of hard cash ,records going for mega money can be bought on the back of other good deals and consequently ,could have cost the buyer nothing .

Like I said its personal and nobody has the right to dictate to others what they can or can't spend .

Real prices are usually set by "set sale " dealers using price guides and not Popsike or eBay ,which is constantly quoted on here when someone asks for a valuation .."ignore Popsike or eBay ,they are not accurate "?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It make sense Nev, but it's just wouldn't be right would it?

I must have about 3 to 4 thousand tracks digitised, ripped from cd's onto hard disk, all good quality ( as I'm into my hi-fi ) that I stream though my system & control with an iPad, giving me instant access on high end sound.

But that will never be the same a picking up a record & sticking it on a turntable & wait for the needle to drop or just owning a top record, that is tactile & tangible.

Aid.

Hi Aid ..i was actually joking about the playing of cd's ..Infact I was gonna say ,when that day comes etc etc ..but for a few people and venues ,it's already here and has been for some time :(

Even worse ...cd's or carvers of poor quality ,low nitrate mp3 files .

I've heard some that made me think I need to go for a hearing test lol

Social source share

By top DJ, do you mean one who has been at the collecting lark for ever or one who has bought a collection?

I rarely use ebay Nev these days, bought the odd LP, I've virtually stopped buying 45's from anywhere, I refuse to pay silly prices.

I'm not dictating what anyone should pay, far from it, I don't think anyone is. People are complaining at being forced to pay over inflated prices for a 45 simply because someone has paid a ridiculous amount at an auction. This then becomes the norm. It has been proved countless times a quick search on the same night the auction finished the same 45 can be had for far less on here not to mention dealer sites.

I don't think anyone is complaining at a seriously rare 45 fetching a lot of money, what does irk many is collectors paying seriously rare prices for not so seriously rare records. You only have to see the comments on many topics about auctions on here.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

By top DJ, do you mean one who has been at the collecting lark for ever or one who has bought a collection?

I rarely use ebay Nev these days, bought the odd LP, I've virtually stopped buying 45's from anywhere, I refuse to pay silly prices.

I'm not dictating what anyone should pay, far from it, I don't think anyone is. People are complaining at being forced to pay over inflated prices for a 45 simply because someone has paid a ridiculous amount at an auction. This then becomes the norm. It has been proved countless times a quick search on the same night the auction finished the same 45 can be had for far less on here not to mention dealer sites.

I don't think anyone is complaining at a seriously rare 45 fetching a lot of money, what does irk many is collectors paying seriously rare prices for not so seriously rare records. You only have to see the comments on many topics about auctions on here.

I wouldn't imagine anyone paying over the top for a collection mate :)

But seriously ,we could argue that the real problem ,and a full circle argument is ,too many dj's and not enough records !

Looking at sales ,there are more dj's than actual true collectors ?

Supply and demand .

If we all stopped p##sing about and left it to a select few dj's ,there would'nt be any of this nonsense ,we'd be all filling the right venues and the scene would be healthy !

If only that could happen eh ;)

Atb for Xmas & noo yr ,peace on earth and good will to all man kind ..( roll on the Mayan prophesy )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Aid ..i was actually joking about the playing of cd's ..Infact I was gonna say ,when that day comes etc etc ..but for a few people and venues ,it's already here and has been for some time :(

Ahh.......missed the joke, its still a bit early in the morning for me, thought your comment surprised me mate :thumbsup:

Aid.

Social source share

Talking of which, I have probably all/most of Goldmine on cd, the sound quality is consistently really excellent, which does surprise me, considering.

Aid.

Social source share

Either you have your eyes and ears shut or your first line is tongue in cheek.

Over the years I've seen DJ's buy a collection, gone straight in at the rare end and not even own a ten pound 45. I've consistently seen DJ's pay way over the odds for records, I'm sure many others have as well. There aren't that many top DJ's IMO.

I've never understood the need for some to DJ when they clearly don't cut the mustard. I see some so called top DJ's who can't put a set together for toffee despite having a box full of rare records, and lets be honest that is the only reason they are behind the decks because of the money they spend, not because of the skill in putting a set together.

There's plenty of records, trouble is all the so called DJ's are chasing the same few and ignoring the many. One or two play a record, the rest then have to have the same record instead of using a bit of imagination and seeking something else, it isn't hard but as is the norm (especially in the internet age) everyone wants someone else to do the hard work.

We could argue all day and this is going away from the original topic so I'm off to find something more constructive to do.

BTW I've the set of Goldmine CD's, including the very first one, are they worth owt? :D

I've got to agree with you Chalks, I listened to a set from 'a major dj legend' the other week who I won't name because thats not fair & I can honestly say, no thought, whatsoever went into, purely going through the motions, same old same old. I understand about pleasing 'the majority' and all that, I'm not talking about wanting ultra rare stuff or anything like that, but this was just a bland, boring set & I could actually sense the lack of thought that went into it, if that makes sense, it was disappointing & I wasn't the only one that commented on it too.

Aid.

Social source share

I believe the first 15 track sampler fetches a few quid. (Skull snaps, Ann sexton etc on it). A few yrs ago, I sold one for over £20.

Anyway, back on topic

The first one I have is the Rare Soul on CD, The Vocal Groups. Soul Supply. I've seen it and others fetch a fair bit of cash.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe the first 15 track sampler fetches a few quid. (Skull snaps, Ann sexton etc on it). A few yrs ago, I sold one for over £20.

Anyway, back on topic

I've got 2 copies of that, I've not been able to sell it because Amazon (where I sell all my cd's) requires a bar code number and that release doesn't have one!

Social source share

Bob

Got to stick with Tony here.

With the recession and the pure hardship many people in this country, and around this world, are going through, the fact that someone can bid $880 on a totally messed up record, and then have the brass balls to come on here and tell us all he didn't even really check the 45 before he bid, because he has plenty of cash in his Paypal account - and then say he was embarrassed as he messed up and wouldn't have bid if he had looked properly -and then have the pure cheek to withdraw his bid ...

The guy is s total Phil Dick.

Richard

MODERATOR EDIT -- don't use foul language

What so just because I bought records cheaply over decades and have now sold some doubles etc at a huge profit thus having plenty of Paypal funds I have to not buy what I want because the country is in a recession and other people can't afford to?

I have built my collection over 30 odd years and what I do with the money I raise from selling bits and pieces is absolutely feck all to do with you,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The US sellers aren't taking the p*ss, its the idiots paying way over the top prices for records, be they records that are f*cked and paying mint prices or simply paying far more for records than they usually sell, you are one of those or was one of those that often highlighted such sales. People are paying way over the odds when a quick search on the internet will source the record far cheaper from a dealer or seller. There is a topic on here almost daily of some lunatic buying a record at a massively inflated price. They are f*cking it up for collectors who are then forced to pay the inflated prices.

But the point is that a record (or anything else for that matter) is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

If I want a record I will pay whatever I can afford to pay to get it. And if by doing so i f*ck it up for someone else, tough sh!t. Nothing wrong with that. Just because I can and do, does that mean I'm somehow less of a collector than anyone else?

I've been buying records seriously since 1978 (admittedly back then I couldn't afford hardly anything). And now, due to my good luck that some of the stuff I got 2, 3, 4 copies of (through hard work digging in the US for many years) are worth many, many times what I paid for them I can buy stuff I only ever dreamed of.

Does that make me some kind of record collecting criminal ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But the point is that a record (or anything else for that matter) is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

If I want a record I will pay whatever I can afford to pay to get it. And if by doing so i f*ck it up for someone else, tough sh!t. Nothing wrong with that. Just because I can and do, does that mean I'm somehow less of a collector than anyone else?

I've been buying records seriously since 1978 (admittedly back then I couldn't afford hardly anything). And now, due to my good luck that some of the stuff I got 2, 3, 4 copies of (through hard work digging in the US for many years) are worth many, many times what I paid for them I can buy stuff I only ever dreamed of.

Does that make me some kind of record collecting criminal ?

Who mentioned criminal? Who in their right mind would bid $800 for this record when the scans are there as plain as day.....to say you didn't see the scans or bid for a laugh simply makes you what your user name is. I know all about you and your history as do many others so you don't have to spell it out to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What so just because I bought records cheaply over decades and have now sold some doubles etc at a huge profit thus having plenty of Paypal funds I have to not buy what I want because the country is in a recession and other people can't afford to?

I have built my collection over 30 odd years and what I do with the money I raise from selling bits and pieces is absolutely feck all to do with you,

Well it is everyone's business since you came on here smugly telling everyone you can chuck $800+ at a record just for a laugh. Then telling everyone that you're such a discerning buyer that you don't even bother to read the description or look at the pictures before chucking said amount at the record for a laugh. No wonder record prices are through the roof with people like you about.

Then you come back on here telling everyone that you've withdrawn your bid - who cares?

Well the seller might as you've gone a long way to knackering his auction by appearing to bid the record up and the high bidder might as you've exposed what his top bid is to all the other bidders by chucking money at the record. I wouldn't be surprised if a few bids are now retracted and the seller has to start again.

Unbelievable that after giving us a running commentary on your actions, you then come on here trying to defend them and say isn't anybody else's business what you do with your money.

At least you changed your name to something appropriate.

Edited by paultp
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Who mentioned criminal? Who in their right mind would bid $800 for this record when the scans are there as plain as day.....to say you didn't see the scans or bid for a laugh simply makes you what your user name is. I know all about you and your history as do many others so you don't have to spell it out to me.

I admit I was a bit of. F*ckwit for not reading the description properly.

In my defence we had had a poker night after work and I was a little tired and emotional.

You didn't call me a criminal but there seems to be some intimation that paying what others consider to be OTT prices for stuff is somehow wrong or immoral

Social source share