40 Somethings

Tezza

Can we just be left to our own devices and let us enjoy our retirement?

That statement speaks volumes, the older lads have kinda been through a lot of the scene-prolonging fights re music and policy that still rage today and I suppose feel a little tired of it today.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes a pish record is a pish record regardless of how many 16 year olds liked it for a couple of weeks when they went to allnighters for a couple of years in the 70's and trying constantly to take us back there for the same 2 year cycle, even

though most of us weren't there in the first F***ing place.

Yes take the remote control off them, and then painlessly put them to sleep.

You did ask.

Ooh!! Put that dirk back in yer stocking Jock.

Social source share

Yes a pish record is a pish record regardless of how many 16 year olds liked it for a couple of weeks when they went to allnighters for a couple of years in the 70's and trying constantly to take us back there for the same 2 year cycle, even

though most of us weren't there in the first F***ing place.

Yes take the remote control off them, and then painlessly put them to sleep.

You did ask.

I don't think you thought too hard there though Jock - must do better!

(Btw me smileys and quotes etc have packed up, so remember I'm a bit tongue in cheek)

Social source share

A pish record ?? Any in particular. As a 16 year old who attended Nighter's in the 70's for a few years i heard too many pish records but amongst the pish was an undercurrent of quality that has been lost amongst the pish that the 40 somethings are listening to now and telling us that this is the pish that we used to listen to. Obviously if you weren't there in the 70's for those few years of Nighters you are entitled to comment on thier qualiIes. Must be my age.

Nothing wrong with Euthanasia, just as good as the youth in Africa.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

the revolution will not be telivesed rise up against the fancy dress brigade ! A cull to all oldies djs !

We must stop playing Oldies !

Selfishly, just NS, why not all Genres of Music.

No more Elvis, Beethoven, The Beatles, Glen Miller, Rory Gallagher, Miles Davis, Bob Marley etc

Sounds like a Brave New World and I for one would like a front row ticket - perhaps

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

I concur,

well I would wooden eye.

Incidently, I am fast approaching the back end of my 50's, started(properly) in '72, had a break for the kids n that came back did the nostaglia thing for a coupla years, found out there was tons of stuff I'd missed and loved hearing,and still want to hear new stuff I don't know now, otherwise, What's the Point ????

I understand where you are coming from but is it right to tell others what to do. Not your thing but my thing. Not a lover of a lot of the new stuff, doesn't have the depth for me but I'm not telling you or anyone else you are wrong.

By the way, notice I said ' for me ' !!

Social source share

I concur,

well I would wooden eye.

Incidently, I am fast approaching the back end of my 50's, started(properly) in '72, had a break for the kids n that came back did the nostaglia thing for a coupla years, found out there was tons of stuff I'd missed and loved hearing,and still want to hear new stuff I don't know now, otherwise, What's the Point ????

Possibly the point is, some got to where you are years before you did, some still have to get there, some don't want to get there and very few 'DJ'S' will be aware of where you got on and off the NS merry-go-round, stuff you don't know will undoubtedly be someone elses hammered to death nostalgia trip,

Wanting to hear stuff you don't know is great but there could be plenty going through the coupla years nostalgia trip you enjoyed, so cull all oldies DJ'S?

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Ironically it sounds to me like Mr 50+ has spent the last 40 yrs telling us about how we should be progressive ...and now ,sadly he's done an about turn and joined his nemesis ...the nostalgia trip brigade ..Sad !

P.s

Nev ( 40 something ) :)

Social source share

As i previously stated on another thread " If everybody liked everything there would be no room on the dance floor". So each to their own, and grab the remote when you get a chance :shhh:

Social source share

Ironically it sounds to me like Mr 50+ has spent the last 40 yrs telling us about how we should be progressive ...and now ,sadly he's done an about turn and joined his nemesis ...the nostalgia trip brigade ..Sad !

P.s

Ironically, this Mr 50 + has never told anybody what they should and shouldn't listen to or what they should be listening to next. My playlist is mine - theirs is theirs. Who am I to lecture to someone. Don't need to be told what to listen to, need to be allowed to listen to what I want to listen to without having to listen to people telling me what I should be listening to.

Our generation brought in NS and now, it seems, we are being told which road to turn off on to get to Metropolis Quite happy to trundle away on my little dirt track to the 60's.

Again, you want to jump on the Greyhound to the Big City then buy your ticket and enjoy the ride.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

P.s

How cryptic can I make this?

....After the initial appallment at John Lydon doing an advert for butter - everyone still accepts that he knows the score.

Edited by Barry
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

If the forty somethings could play their mid-tempo slosh to full houses every week we wouldn't be having this debate.

The events lists on here tell you what the majority of people want to hear when they go out and without them you have no one to DJ to.

I can remember attending clubs when the manufactured stuff and "funk" created an influx of the new wave of jellybeans and drainpipes brigade so you ended up with a split club.

We sat down right through their stuff and waited for our dj to come on and when he did, they sat down 'til IL and Tavares came back on. Can't see folk our age putting up money for that kind of event albeit that the 80's/90's stuff may be of a better pedigree.

Having said that there was always elitism and from my earliest memories of going to clubs I recall that it wasn't cool to dance to certain records so you didn't even if you secretly liked them for fear of looking like a div but the difference is that at 50+ you aren't as susceptible to peer pressure as you were as a teenager.

I've been listening to the Butch's tapes on another thread and Pete's podcast of so called tosh has more good dance records in it by far. And what's all that talkin' over the records about ?

No wonder me and my mates f***ed it off in '82

Be interesting to see if the 80's & 90's discoveries are given up by today's 40 somethings in favour of newer sounds in 10 years time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Can we just be left to our own devices and let us enjoy our retirement?

That statement speaks volumes, the older lads have kinda been through a lot of the scene-prolonging fights re music and policy that still rage today and I suppose feel a little tired of it today.

Well Barold, you don't normally back losers mate, but your good guydar has gone a bit awol on this! Your assumption

because older lads are older they have been around for years is so wide of the mark, although I get why as this is your

experience, most have been around for a couple of years then and a couple now, so its kinda hard not to get frustrated at

being called on music!

Ooh!! Put that dirk back in yer stocking Jock.

It was a well placed arrow mate, and its hit right centre on target.

I don't think you thought too hard there though Jock - must do better!

(Btw me smileys and quotes etc have packed up, so remember I'm a bit tongue in cheek)

No mate, it was thought out and deliberate and its landed the scaly things I expected.

I don't know why I care in my gracefully retired status, ironically makes me guilty of what I accuse others of. But its always nice to prove just how misguided some people are, their views" are based on what they have been told rather than experienced, and are frankly "a load of pish" and lets not forget, the majority faded away in the 80's because they weren't the right sort for then. It was all about quality, not quantity remember...... The chaff was shaken.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just to reiterate, they weren't records that I considered tosh, they were those that either constantly crop up as being examples of what 'bad' Northern is, or ones that fell out of favour very quickly and don't get back on playlists because, in a lot of cases, they are considered not soulful enough for todays scene. Half of them came out of my favourites box!

And just to be clear, I wasn't just talking about your post and records you highlighted (even though I did think some were pish, but that was your point I think), I thought that was interesting and would have been for an interesting debate, e.g. the Poppies being to white, what would have been played even 3 years later type of debate, but as usual we get onto some political manifesto from the keep it 74 brigade. So dont be taking the huff at me, its not aimed at you...

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Well Barold, you don't normally back losers mate, but your good guydar has gone a bit awol on this! Your assumption

because older lads are older they have been around for years is so wide of the mark, although I get why as this is your

experience, most have been around for a couple of years then and a couple now, so its kinda hard not to get frustrated at

being called on music!

It was a well placed arrow mate, and its hit right centre on target.

No mate, it was thought out and deliberate and its landed the scaly things I expected.

I don't know why I care in my gracefully retired status, ironically makes me guilty of what I accuse others of. But its always nice to prove just how misguided some people are, their views" are based on what they have been told rather than experienced, and are frankly "a load of pish" and lets not forget, the majority faded away in the 80's because they weren't the right sort for then. It was all about quality, not quantity remember...... The chaff was shaken.

Which is it O'Connor,retired or not retired,make your mind up lad

Social source share

And just to be clear, I wasn't just talking about your post and records you highlighted (even though I did think some were pish, but that was your point I think), I thought that was interesting and would have been for an interesting debate, e.g. the Poppies being to white, what would have been played even 3 years later type of debate, but as usual we get onto some political manifesto from the keep it 74 brigade. So dont be taking the huff at me, its not aimed at you...

I thought I deleted the line about The Poppies being too white! Actually I did because I ran out of space on the Mixcloud description, I had to cut a few lines, I must have pasted up the original on here. But I'm glad you see what I was getting at though with that point. Plus I'm steering clear of you anyway as it gives me migraines when we bash heads :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Listen!

I don't take sides anymore, I just listen to people.

And if someone has the balls to come on here and say their piece passionately I'll stand behind 'em.

It's easy this message board lark...if you, just occassionally, take yer jobsworth cap off. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 years ago I was a Forty Something and we held the remote control

No longer the ruling class, a new breed of Forty Somethings have overpowered the old Silverback and now control the remote.

The old 45's have been resigned to the back of the box and the ATB is now the creme atop the milk.

Should we "Gracefully Step Aside" and let them takeaway our music or perhaps stand up to them and takeback what is ours.

Continually lambasted for liking what we like and told that Across the Board or 'Rare Soul' is the way. Can we just be left to our own devices and let us enjoy our retirement ?

Are we allowed to bring OVO into the conversation at this point or are we too early ??

Was the remote control invented in 79 when it would seem most of the now 50 something's decided it wasn't for them for a couple or more decades? :)

Social source share

And another post that just makes up their own point and wanders further into imagine what might have been said land.

I love it.

Right off to the wilds of Scotland with no phone, internet or work. I will return a changed man.

That's every post on here isn't it :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was the remote control invented in 79 when it would seem most of the now 50 something's decided it wasn't for them for a couple or more decades? :)

Not all removed themselves from the Circus in the 80's and 90's. In defence of those that did, it probably wasn't because it wasn't for them but due to financial restraints from raising Families etc. But is that reason enough to tell them where they are obviously wrong ??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some valid points here.

A kind of soul intelligentsia has appeared over the last few years and their perceived wisdom has placed many a top tune into the realms of ridicule.

Some of the "choons" that are played out and about at many nights today may be great to stroke yer chin to, but they are not the stuff that got me into this music.

I want to hear great northern soul, not 100mph stompers or even uptempo necessarily but I don't want to sleep to the beat.

Hi Phil,

Did you get on the wrong bus mate. Check your ticket !!

Social source share

Not all removed themselves from the Circus in the 80's and 90's. In defence of those that did, it probably wasn't because it wasn't for them but due to financial restraints from raising Families etc. But is that reason enough to tell them where they are obviously wrong ??

Yes it is, you were into it or not, the rest was just convenient excuses.

Social source share

How cryptic can I make this?

....After the initial appallment at John Lydon doing an advert for butter - everyone still accepts that he knows the score.

Barry, just had to Googie John Lydon to find out who the f*ck he is?

What the f*ck as Johnny Rotten got to do with anything, lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Do you not feel it's rather arrogant to assume you know better and that you are right in your assumptions. Grandad, 2 World Wars etc etc

I am not assuming anything, stating facts. How can it be any other way, People grew up and out of it, nothing wrong with

that, making excuses and reinventing history when hitting pension age is pretty sad thought.

Social source share

I didn't think so. I thought I had merely expanded the theme.

Sorry. I'll fook off the thread now

ex·pand (ibreve.gifk-spabreve.gifndprime.gif)

v. ex·pand·ed, ex·pand·ing, ex·pands

v.tr.

1. To increase the size, volume, quantity, or scope of; enlarge: expanded her store by adding a second room. See Synonyms at Show Spelled [cheynj] Show IPA verb, changed, chang·ing, noun

verb (used with object)

to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

to transform or convert (usually followed by into ): The witch changed the prince into a toad.

to substitute another or others for; exchange for something else, usually of the same kind: She changed her shoes when she got home from the office.

to give and take reciprocally; interchange: to change places with someone.

to transfer from one (conveyance) to another: You'll have to change planes in Chicago

But all imput is welcome mate

Social source share

I am not assuming anything, stating facts. How can it be any other way, People grew up and out of it, nothing wrong with

that, making excuses and reinventing history when hitting pension age is pretty sad thought.

You do actually have a point there. there are a few people I know who have invented a whole history about themselves. Plces they went, people they knew etc etc.

Very sad actually. Their real lives must have been very boring or embarrassing or summat

Social source share

ex·pand (ibreve.gifk-spabreve.gifndprime.gif)

v. ex·pand·ed, ex·pand·ing, ex·pands

v.tr.

1. To increase the size, volume, quantity, or scope of; enlarge: expanded her store by adding a second room. See Synonyms at increase.

2. To express at length or in detail; enlarge on: expanded his remarks afterward.

3. To open (something) up or out; spread out: The bird expanded its wings and flew off.

4. Mathematics To write (a quantity) as a sum of terms in an extended form.

v.intr.

1. To become greater in size, volume, quantity, or scope: Air expands when heated. This critic's influence is expanding.

2. To speak or write at length or in detail: expand on a favorite topic.

3. To open up or out; unfold: The chair expands to form a day bed.

4. To feel expansive.

change

/tʃeɪndÊ’/ Show IPA verb, changed, chang·ing, noun

verb (used with object)

to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

to transform or convert (usually followed by into ): The witch changed the prince into a toad.

to substitute another or others for; exchange for something else, usually of the same kind: She changed her shoes when she got home from the office.

to give and take reciprocally; interchange: to change places with someone.

to transfer from one (conveyance) to another: You'll have to change planes in Chicago

But all imput is welcome mate

im·prove

/ɪmˈpruv/ Show Spelled [im-proov] Show IPA verb, im·proved, im·prov·ing.

verb (used with object)

to bring into a more desirable or excellent condition: He took vitamins to improve his health.

to make (land) more useful, profitable, or valuable by enclosure, cultivation, etc.

to increase the value of (real property) by betterments, as the construction of buildings and sewers.

to make good use of; turn to account: He improved the stopover by seeing a client with offices there.

:)

Social source share

Ironically, this Mr 50 + has never told anybody what they should and shouldn't listen to or what they should be listening to next. My playlist is mine - theirs is theirs. Who am I to lecture to someone. Don't need to be told what to listen to, need to be allowed to listen to what I want to listen to without having to listen to people telling me what I should be listening to.

Our generation brought in NS and now, it seems, we are being told which road to turn off on to get to Metropolis Quite happy to trundle away on my little dirt track to the 60's.

Again, you want to jump on the Greyhound to the Big City then buy your ticket and enjoy the ride.

I'm 48 going on 49 ,got into " Northern " in the late 70's aged 14 ,was hooked from day one and spent most week nights and weekends in backstreet underground soul venues and all nighters ,didn't own any records ,didnt even know who sang em or what they were called ,let alone what label they were on ,but knew every best when I was dancing !

,missed the 80's but spent the last decade and a half making up for it ,have met a lot of different people from all over the country / Europe / world ..listened to thousands and thousands of different records and the only thing I am certain about is ,as long as the venue and its people are passionate about the music ,then that's good enough for me ,regardless of age /fashion or genre of music or tempo !

It's been evolving since day one and when it stops evolving and stagnates ,I'll become an oldie fan :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Excuses or reinventing History - Never altered in my take on things.

Stating facts but using a generalism in doing so. People grew up and out of it yes, but not all. The ones that are left, and there are quite a few of us, still love the music and still want to listen to what we want to listen to. Not forcing you to as well but would like the room to do so in piece. Others may think we are drifting into senility but hey, we will be happy. Is it too much to ask for a bit of respect or are we slipping into some unwanted political state.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!