To Dance Or Not To Dance?

I`ve always love dancing,but I`m just wondering the reason why,maybe some people don`t/have never danced.

1) The sounds have never excited or motivated you?

2) You`d be embarrassed?

3) You maybe never wanted to?

4) Spend all the time in the record bar/licensed bar?

5) Don`t go anywhere?

As we all know dancing "on the scene" encompasses all "styles",so for anyone to say that they actually can`t dance is not an acceptable answer!

A topic I just thought about.Has it been discussed before?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

My fav venue has people stood around enjoying the music just as much as people dancing.......as l keep on saying if the vibe in the room is right.......everyone enjoys.

l personally don,t dance that much because people try to nick my moves :wicked::D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I'll dance when i feel like it...

But, just cos they ain't dancing it doesn't mean they ain't enjoying it.

Of course you can enjoy,without dancing

Of course you can dance when you feel like it

As I said ,I was just wondering and I like dancing to s varied selection.

An innocent query-no underlying motives.

Social source share

Guest Owen Conway

i went out last saturday to a do in a bar and danced for the first time in 32 yrs, a little bit shy but after a while it was ok. showed a few young uns up.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Dancing is very important.

You could love the same music as I do, without ever having danced to it: that much I get: but it could never mean as much to you.

You don't have to be brilliant, just get up & express yersen. That is 'soul' .One of the finest things about NS is that we are very non-judgemental.

Social source share

dance like no one is watching!!...ive been the only one on the floor a few times at the start of a nite if a certain tune is played

love to dance..but not to everything...mainly uptempo 60s soul and rnb in a set that flows...not into my slow stuff ,especially late on in the night...need to keep going!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

dance like no one is watching!!...ive been the only one on the floor a few times at the start of a nite if a certain tune is played

love to dance..but not to everything...mainly uptempo 60s soul and rnb in a set that flows...not into my slow stuff ,especially late on in the night...need to keep going!!

been trying to remmeber the rest of that saying/ quote, all week, 'dance like no one is watching....................' can anyone help.?.

Social source share

Osteo-Arthritis in my back. I used to try to dance but stopped after some people laughed at me.

Like falling off a horse - Get 'the f*ck' back on that dance floor, and laugh at them, laughing at you! (Copyright Terry)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - If your back allows you to that is :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Good topic.

A while back, on one of the ‘Analysing The Scene’ threads, someone stated “I used to love dancing, now I only like dancing” which I thought an interesting thing to say.

Terry is right about the ‘vibe’ of a place, whether you’re a dancer or not - When I first went to The 100 Club, you couldn’t get me off the floor, because the ‘vibe’ was so right for me. I was on such a high, on so many levels — The Music, the People, the ‘Cuddly Promoter’ (approachable), the ‘Welcoming Committee’ (not ‘over the top’ friendly though) the D.J’s, the Coffee I was drinking at that time, the Attitude of everyone in the place - All this combined made me dance!

Nowadays I get different things from different nights, we all know a lot more people than we used to, so that can ‘get in the way’ of dancing sometimes - before you know it the nights over without a dance, but having had a great time - Sometimes I do miss finding a DARK corner and dancing like a lunatic though, Burnley was the last time I really ‘let rip’ :)

All the above just my experience, and I agree that no matter what ‘part’ you play (Dancer, Listener, Block Head, Chatterbox, ‘Record Bar Person’ or whatever) they all get their own thing from a night - some just don't dance, no problem with that.

Dancing for me is a fantastic ‘release’.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I had an operation on a delicate part of my anatomy. A few weeks later I was talking to Welsh Simon at Capitol, and he asked about my recovery. I said I was fine and could dance and everything.

He said - I better have that op as well then, cos you couldnt dance before

:D:thumbup:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Perhaps, but there are clearly lots of people who really should accept that they 'Can't' dance and FFS sit down!. :lol:

I know some people can't dance have no rhythm but love to dance, so just let them dance. It's not a dance competition but a scene that lends itself to dance!

Social source share

Its purely personal choice ?

I've been to events and not danced once and had a great time, been to events and danced as much as I desire and had a great time too.

I am no great dancer by any shakes, but I do what I want as its my own free time.

I don't spend time with any one who might mention more than once that "you havent danced come on" - I left 6th form years ago.................suprise, I am an adult and can and will make my own descions...........

Of course the importance or travelling to me is to hear new sounds, sounds I love and that would normally get me dancing - but I cant "blanket" dance to any old tune that comes on easily.........Its also to experience new places, people and venues...................so a mix. The key is the music though.

Having a good time means different things to different people, so we must celebrate the difference........... :-)

I hate it when djs play a tune and say "if this don't get Bearsy dancing a nothing will" lol.

I love dancing and even more so when you really get in the groove and get all lost in the music. Sometimes I just don't get the groove but still have a great time chatting crap etc etc

Social source share

You sound like my missus!! She's only got into the music since attending Scarborough last year (although she'd listened to and like some of my records) we now attend local soul nights and prior to going out she has a bit practice in the house and does dance when we go out but she's constantly asking 'did I look ok'? or 'am I doing it right'? The answer is always yes!! because there's no right or wrong way, just let the music take over and enjoy!!

I've been attending soul nights for a year now and I always sit and watch the other dancers and think I'm gonna go and dance in a bit and then one of your favourite songs come on and the nerves kick in lol so you stay sitting down and carry on watching the other dancers but I always have a dance round the house with northern soul on :D but there's no crowds but maybe one day ill just get up and go for it its like when I'm going on stage my nerves am all over the place but once I've got the second record on they have gone so for now I'll stick to the dancing round the house lol

Nat x

Social source share

Good topic.

A while back, on one of the ‘Analysing The Scene’ threads, someone stated “I used to love dancing, now I only like dancing” which I thought an interesting thing to say.

Terry is right about the ‘vibe’ of a place, whether you’re a dancer or not - When I first went to The 100 Club, you couldn’t get me off the floor, because the ‘vibe’ was so right for me. I was on such a high, on so many levels — The Music, the People, the ‘Cuddly Promoter’ (approachable), the ‘Welcoming Committee’ (not ‘over the top’ friendly though) the D.J’s, the Coffee I was drinking at that time, the Attitude of everyone in the place - All this combined made me dance!

Nowadays I get different things from different nights, we all know a lot more people than we used to, so that can ‘get in the way’ of dancing sometimes - before you know it the nights over without a dance, but having had a great time - Sometimes I do miss finding a DARK corner and dancing like a lunatic though, Burnley was the last time I really ‘let rip’ :)

All the above just my experience, and I agree that no matter what ‘part’ you play (Dancer, Listener, Block Head, Chatterbox, ‘Record Bar Person’ or whatever) they all get their own thing from a night - some just don't dance, no problem with that.

Dancing for me is a fantastic ‘release’.

All the best,

I said that ,only because some times its hard work,and I have to be in the right frame of mind now ,at one time I would have been on the floor all night no matter what but now I pick and choose what I dance to

Bazza :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did the IOW run a couple of years back.. Got caught up in all the nostalgia what with there being loads of old mates and old tunes.. Danced all weekend, when i came back i ran for a train, took two steps and my cruciate went.. Hit the ground like a sack of shit.. ouch.

Social source share

Dancing is very important.

You could love the same music as I do, without ever having danced to it: that much I get: but it could never mean as much to you.

You don't have to be brilliant, just get up & express yersen. That is 'soul' .One of the finest things about NS is that we are very non-judgemental.

And that's not a judgemental comment?

Social source share

I've been attending soul nights for a year now and I always sit and watch the other dancers and think I'm gonna go and dance in a bit and then one of your favourite songs come on and the nerves kick in lol so you stay sitting down and carry on watching the other dancers but I always have a dance round the house with northern soul on :D but there's no crowds but maybe one day ill just get up and go for it its like when I'm going on stage my nerves am all over the place but once I've got the second record on they have gone so for now I'll stick to the dancing round the house lol

Nat x

Just go for it, when you're out look around at the dancers you will see some great dancers who seem to glide across the floor and you think bugger that I can't do that but then look again for every great dancer there's three people doing their own thing maybe not in time with the music but boy are they loving it! and certainly not bothered who knows it!!! When I first started going out last year after an absence of 30 years within 2 records I was on the floor near the edge but as the night went on got further in and even started spinning!!! So just go for it, and remember no one is looking at you people are just looking ahead listening to the music

Edited by AndyJ
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Nat x

I think lots of us went through all that at our first nights. I felt such a t*t, but my mates (who were mostly nighter experienced) just smiled and told me to "just keep going"; I was ok in the end! - We're all the same (ish) really :D

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I said that ,only because some times its hard work,and I have to be in the right frame of mind now ,at one time I would have been on the floor all night no matter what but now I pick and choose what I dance to

Bazza :hatsoff2:

Yes. same as mate, same as.

All the best,

Social source share

I know some people can't dance have no rhythm but love to dance, so just let them dance. It's not a dance competition but a scene that lends itself to dance!

Nope!..... can't see anywhere where I said anything about it being a "Dance competition"... :g:

Sorry, but if you can manage to walk to the bar for a pint then you can manage to construct a simple basic 2-step northern soul dance - let's be honest it's really not that hard. The problem is people just make NO attempt to even try, they just do the typical 'When I'm drunk I dance like me dad' thing or perform a series of random moves lasting 2.25 minutes which in no way reflect the tempo or BPM changes of the track they're 'dancing' to....

I look at some people on the dance floor these days and think they must be wearing their i-pods as they're clearly not dancing to the same track as everyone else, add to this the number of people who seem to see a dance floor as the cure for their attention disorder and just do anything for the 'shock value' as long as it draws attention to themselves and you've got a scene that is just making a complete mockery of the music it's purports to represent. I shudder to think what some of the bar staff and glass collectors must think when they're walking around these venue's seeing these half pi55ed pensioners in bizzare outfits throwing themselves around a dance floor in this random fashion, I can only imagine they think it's a perfect example of why care in the community doesn't work.

Social source share

Just go for it, when you're out look around at the dancers you will see some great dancers who seem to glide across the floor and you think bugger that I can't do that but then look again for every great dancer there's three people doing their own thing maybe not in time with the music but boy are they loving it! and certainly not bothered who knows it!!! When I first started going out last year after an absence of 30 years within 2 records I was on the floor near the edge but as the night went on got further in and even started spinning!!! So just go for it, and remember no one is looking at you people are just looking ahead listening to the music

thats what im gonna do im off out tonight so lets just see whats happens lolol but thats what makes me get nervous because u have sum fantastic dancers and u think my god im gonna look like a fool, but like everyone keeps saying just feel the music and go for it :D

nat x

Social source share

I think lots of us went through all that at our first nights. I felt such a t*t, but my mates (who were mostly nighter experienced) just smiled and told me to "just keep going"; I was ok in the end! - We're all the same (ish) really :D

All the best,

yes we have to start some were dont we

thanks

nat x

Social source share

thats what im gonna do im off out tonight so lets just see whats happens lolol but thats what makes me get nervous because u have sum fantastic dancers and u think my god im gonna look like a fool, but like everyone keeps saying just feel the music and go for it :D

nat x
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I love dancing but the one thing I really miss Is like at wigan when you accidentally bumped into somebody there used to be an immediate recognition by both parties, a tap on the arm, sorry mate/luv followed by an acknowledgement or just a tap back or a smile as if to say 'no problem'.

It was one of the things I loved about the northern scene. These days it seems to rarely happen but I still do it and often people look at me like I'm a twat but sometimes I get an 'old school' response and it absolutely makes my day !

I'm all for people dancing how they like and just enjoying themselves but sometimes I've been clattered over and over again by someone who thinks they are the bees knees and they're just not - they're awful ! I was at the 100 club last year and was kicked seven shades out of by someone who's interpretation of stomping aka shuffling was more like a demented Morris clog dancer !! I should have been furious but it was so ridiculous it was actually hilarious! The thing was they thought they were brilliant.

Social source share

I love dancing but the one thing I really miss Is like at wigan when you accidentally bumped into somebody there used to be an immediate recognition by both parties, a tap on the arm, sorry mate/luv followed by an acknowledgement or just a tap back or a smile as if to say 'no problem'.

It was one of the things I loved about the northern scene. These days it seems to rarely happen but I still do it and often people look at me like I'm a twat but sometimes I get an 'old school' response and it absolutely makes my day !

I'm all for people dancing how they like and just enjoying themselves but sometimes I've been clattered over and over again by someone who thinks they are the bees knees and they're just not - they're awful ! I was at the 100 club last year and was kicked seven shades out of by someone who's interpretation of stomping aka shuffling was more like a demented Morris clog dancer !! I should have been furious but it was so ridiculous it was actually hilarious! The thing was they thought they were brilliant.

Yeh, sorry about that, I got a bit carried away didn't I? :rofl::lol:

“'old school' response” - I know exactly what you mean. I hate saying things like this now, because things ‘with meaning’ with ref to the scene have now somehow been 'hijacked', and don’t sound right anymore….But I will this once, you’re talking about ‘dance floor etiquette’, which did exist, it wasn’t ever analysed - but it was just there.

You need to try and make sure you bump into the correct people :D - Sorry to mention Burnley again (That’s Terry’s Job) but one particular night there, for some reason it kept happening to me (obviously everyone else’s fault :rofl:) but I was laughing for days after that nighter, because I hadn’t experienced so many ‘belly laughs’ on the dance floor before, it was brilliant - (After the record had finished) "Sorry about that mate, I’ve got big feet” etc, etc - every single time followed a warm handshake. Sadly that has been lost at some venues and I’d wager, a smack in the face could happen just for bumping into someone - which is tragic really.

Right, off to practise me Shuffling! :rofl:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yeh, sorry about that, I got a bit carried away didn't I? :rofl::lol:

“'old school' response” - I know exactly what you mean. I hate saying things like this now, because things ‘with meaning’ with ref to the scene have now somehow been 'hijacked', and don’t sound right anymore….But I will this once, you’re talking about ‘dance floor etiquette’, which did exist, it wasn’t ever analysed - but it was just there.

You need to try and make sure you bump into the correct people :D - Sorry to mention Burnley again (That’s Terry’s Job) but one particular night there, for some reason it kept happening to me (obviously everyone else’s fault :rofl:) but I was laughing for days after that nighter, because I hadn’t experienced so many ‘belly laughs’ on the dance floor before, it was brilliant - (After the record had finished) "Sorry about that mate, I’ve got big feet” etc, etc - every single time followed a warm handshake. Sadly that has been lost at some venues and I’d wager, a smack in the face could happen just for bumping into someone - which is tragic really.

Right, off to practise me Shuffling! :rofl:

All the best,

Thats coz ya can,t dance in that silly swishy swishy mid tempooh style at a proper club.......but see how freindly they are though....they instinctively knew that you had your carer with you :D

Social source share

Thats coz ya can,t dance in that silly swishy swishy mid tempooh style at a proper club.......but see how freindly they are though....they instinctively knew that you had your carer with you :D

I must admit, I did seem to be 'out of sync' that night :D But, yep no one seemed to mind :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Dancing, for me, is about enjoying yourself and getting lost in the moment. It's a fantastic release from the pressures of life and work. I forget everything when i'm dancing. I don't think it matters how good you are as long as you get pleasure from it, and to be honest that's why we do it isn't it? Although appreciation of good dancers is part and parcel of the scene (there's nothing better than watching a great dancer) I've never heard anyone take the piss because someone is a bit uncoordinated.

I dance less now than I used to, not sure exactly why, maybe too much time chatting these days. Need to get back into it and remember why I go out in the first place. :yes:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!