Does Modern Soul Suck?

=============

Baz is doing me a CD so I can upgrade my knowledge of said genre, then hopefully I'd be able to judge for myself whether it can be the northen scene's salvation. That's talking from a, it could die soon perspective and I don't want it to :unsure:

winnie

don,t hold your breath waiting for one of baz,s legendery cd,s you could be 150 before you see it think i,m up to about 10 years and still waiting :lol::D:D:D:lol:

regards

dave lucas

Social source share

• Replies 184
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

winnie

don,t hold your breath waiting for one of baz,s legendery cd,s you could be 150 before you see it think i,m up to about 10 years and still waiting :D:D:lol::D:D

regards

dave lucas

Where from Dave :unsure:

Cant remember? :lol:

Social source share

I know what you're saying Chalky, but in fairness to the sixties boys, if you take as read that the 60's sides that got played since year dot are still played (which of course they are), then the difference in the sound of new release soul becomes more and more removed with the passing of time, so maybe the difference in style between 60's and contemporary soul is just too far apart, than say the difference in 60's to "Stafford" type modern?? Having said that, I'm sure Glenda mcCloud etc sounded just as unacceptable to some back then!! But you see my point............for instance, surely we all concede that a 60's fan is more likely to turn to crossover soul rather than new releases in 2006...........I generalise with that statement of course.

Cheers,

Mark R

Most sensible reply I've read on this thread... couldn't have put it better myself.

Social source share

Not progressing musically is a very common trate, not just limited to "oldies fans" though they are the target we find easiest to hit as they walk round with big circular targets on their backs.

Doing a straw poll round here I actually find that very few people are interested in hearing new music of any genre. An example close to home -my missus still enjoys the rubbish she enjoyed twenty five years ago - Led Zep, Status Quo etc....She has not bought a new record since the early 80's. She is no different to the vast majority of people either.

My young son btw just texted me to say that darrell Banks "Our love is in the pocket" and "Out on the floor" are great records. He's not wrong there either, but unless he takes after his dad he is likely to end up at 25 or something losing interest in hearing new music.

I am not defending the oldies brigade - god forbid :unsure: - I've heard far too many play safe DJs playing boring sets to accomodate the masses; all I am doing is recognising that the majority of people aren't that bothered about hearing something new - so we should not be surprised at the end of the day.

I agree to a point and I think everyone clings on to a bit of their past like a security blanket, but I also think that people still like to hear new stuff but only in the genre of their choice. Anyone on this scene who claims to have heard everything is kidding themselves. There is nothing better than hearing something that is either 60's or 70's or even later for that matter, that you haven't heard before, hence I spend most of my money on albums searching for those tracks that never made it as singles,or sharing cd's with others, so I can quench my thirst for new stuff. Where would we be without all those acetates or unissued Motown stuff: still dancing to the same stuff from 30 yrs ago I suspect.

There is no better feeling than having a record/track that you have treasured for some time played at a venue and becoming big, for the first time - feelings like, " I knew this would be big one day"

The scene needs new stuff to stay alive otherwise we all might as well stay at home.

Kev

Social source share

winnie

don,t hold your breath waiting for one of baz,s legendery cd,s you could be 150 before you see it think i,m up to about 10 years and still waiting :unsure::D:D:D:lol:

regards

dave lucas

I've been racking my brain all night still cant think of who or when i said i'd do a CD for you :lol:

Social source share

Guest gibber

I've been racking my brain all night still cant think of who or when i said i'd do a CD for you :unsure:

Baz i be at bedford bring one more besides winnie`s and if he dont turn up i have it :lol:

Edited by gibber
Social source share

I've been racking my brain all night still cant think of who or when i said i'd do a CD for you :unsure:

baz/winnie

sorry chaps wrong baz thought it was bazm being referred to memo to ones self must read posts properly before relying

baz aplologise,s for making you rack your brain at this time of night

regards

dave lucas

Social source share

Baz i be at bedford bring one more besides winnie`s and if he dont turn up i have it :unsure:

:D

baz/winnie

sorry chaps wrong baz thought it was bazm being referred to memo to ones self must read posts properly before relying

baz aplologise,s for making you rack your brain at this time of night

regards

dave lucas

:D You had me baffeled :lol:

Social source share

I agree to a point and I think everyone clings on to a bit of their past like a security blanket, but I also think that people still like to hear new stuff but only in the genre of their choice. Anyone on this scene who claims to have heard everything is kidding themselves. There is nothing better than hearing something that is either 60's or 70's or even later for that matter, that you haven't heard before, hence I spend most of my money on albums searching for those tracks that never made it as singles,or sharing cd's with others, so I can quench my thirst for new stuff. Where would we be without all those acetates or unissued Motown stuff: still dancing to the same stuff from 30 yrs ago I suspect.

There is no better feeling than having a record/track that you have treasured for some time played at a venue and becoming big, for the first time - feelings like, " I knew this would be big one day"

The scene needs new stuff to stay alive otherwise we all might as well stay at home.

Kev

I don't disagree with a word of this obviously, am just trying to explain why there are so many oldies only bigots out there.

Social source share

Simon the straw poll actually involved asking a few people at work whether they still listened to and bought new music. Essentially the answer was broadly no with the over 25s - that's it.

As for going out more - you can sleep easy that your record endurance feat of some 20 years without going out on the soul scene is in no danger of being overhauled by me! lol :D

Fair enough Steve that poll stresses that any scene needs to welcome new blood .. lol my endurance feat was only 15 years of not going out on the "Rare Soul scene " :D . Other emerging black music scenes were too good for me to miss ..

:D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I know what you're saying Chalky, but in fairness to the sixties boys, if you take as read that the 60's sides that got played since year dot are still played (which of course they are), then the difference in the sound of new release soul becomes more and more removed with the passing of time, so maybe the difference in style between 60's and contemporary soul is just too far apart, than say the difference in 60's to "Stafford" type modern?? Having said that, I'm sure Glenda mcCloud etc sounded just as unacceptable to some back then!! But you see my point............for instance, surely we all concede that a 60's fan is more likely to turn to crossover soul rather than new releases in 2006...........I generalise with that statement of course.

Cheers,

Mark R

Glenda Mcloud was accepted at Stafford and the 100 club , Mark .. Both hotbeds of the 60's hardcore mafia . :D Ian Clark played it every month early 80's at 6T's

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

....along with Jan Jones and Timeless Legend amongst others.

Yes indeed , Clarkie was the main reason to go to the 100 club .. other electro soul

spins by him , Al Mcall "lock it up" James Cobbin , and Clarence Jackson on R&R ( has anyone got the 12 of Wrap it up) :D

Social source share

Well im just glad i have blinkers, because obviously i have the best taste in music in the world, and if you dont like what i like you must have no soul! :D

i agree with this statement you have the best taste in music in YOUR world, problem is, we all live in our own worlds we just share tha same time and space as you and the other 60billion peeps!!

Social source share

Glenda Mcloud was accepted at Stafford and the 100 club , Mark .. Both hotbeds of the 60's hardcore mafia . :) Ian Clark played it every month early 80's at 6T's

How many people can distinguish the difference between an original and a reproduction now?! :yes:

Social source share

Anacostia - What Kind Of Love - Columbia

Chalky , this is on MCA not Columbia , and quite a hard 7" to come by ..

..Hi Tad ..RE: Glenda Mcloud

First issues DON'T have a bevelled edge to the run in groove

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Anacostia - What Kind Of Love - Columbia

Chalky , this is on MCA not Columbia , and quite a hard 7" to come by...

..Hi Tad ..RE: Glenda Mcloud

First issues DON'T have a bevelled edge to the run in groove

Thanks to an easy way to compare, Simon. I've been thinking that an original had more vivid red color label and strong lettering with punchy sound. Great dance disc, anyway!

Social source share

Thanks to an easy way to compare, Simon. I've been thinking that an original had more vivid red color label and strong lettering with punchy sound. Great dance disc, anyway!

Maybe your right too , Tad . The Soulfulsaint can confirm , he found 3 copies in 1983

:yes:

Social source share

So Gavin and Chalky we appear to be more in agreement than first appeared. Maybe the real problem is some of the music playing in Northern rooms masquerading as modern soul. As Gavin said, dance music but not soul.

ROD

Rod,

You did mean "So Sean and Chalky we appear to be more in agreement etc....."

and "As Sean said, dance music but not soul" Didn't you?

Don't want to appear petty, but I only tend to use my cover up name of 'Gavin' when I'm masquerading as a Pissed up Southern Bloke and trying to take home half of the door money at Soul Essence in Yarmouth!

But either way, I think I made my point that there should be room for all eras on the scene, providing it's Soulful and that should certainly include 60's Soul and everything that meets the standard thereafter!

My own affair with Soul music started in the late 60's and therefore that decade's music was the foundation to my entire collection. But when the 70's came (like many of us) I kept on listening to (and buying) Soul music that I felt was of the same standard and every bit as viable as the stuff I cut my teeth on. Having carried that thinking on into the 80's, 90's and 21st Century I've amassed a collection of great records from all decades and its never been a question of foisting my views on others its just what I feel happy with - never wanting to risk cutting down my options or missing out on other great tunes.

The 60's WAS the golden era of Soul Music... but certain latter day artists (though thinner on the ground) STILL have the ability to move my spirit, at least, in the same way as those from previous decades.

So in answer to Stuart's original question, my own belief is.. Modern SOUL Does Not Suck.... but pretenders to the genre, from all decades, probably do....

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Don't want to appear petty, but I only tend to use my cover up name of 'Gavin' when I'm masquerading as a Pissed up Southern Bloke and trying to take home half of the door money at Soul Essence in Yarmouth!

And a good impression it is to ranting_1.gif

Social source share

And a good impression it is to whistling.gif

You're right Gavin.

Had far too much merriment at the last Yarmouth, to be sure.

Didn't quite make half the Door takings though... but no complaints on that score!

Interesting thread this one's been mate. I think all contributors should be compelled to go to the next Yarmouth... if only to get a flavour of what it is I've been on about!

:thumbsup:

Take good care.

Sean

Social source share

Interesting thread this one's been mate. I think all contributors should be compelled to go to the next Yarmouth... if only to get a flavour of what it is I've been on about!

whistling.gif

Sean

Keep promising to get my arse over to Yarmuff so ya finally convinced me Sean.

Will be there next year, I promise.

Would also be nice if a few of the contributers got over to our little shindig in Rotherham tomorrow night, how ya fixed Sean?

How about Rod, Pete & Baz coming over as well, if ya do guys the beers on me all night but no wearing earplugs though ya hear :unsure::thumbsup:

Social source share

Keep promising to get my arse over to Yarmuff so ya finally convinced me Sean.

And long overdue too Martin. You'll love it I'm sure.

Soul Music that's truly across the board from all eras.

My last playlist included:

1. Tony Love - Crying Time Is Over - Instant 2. Patreece Johnson - You're Watching Over Me - Unreleased 3. Unifics - I Want You To Have It - Somodo 4. Jean Carne - Hello Stranger - Unreleased 5. Al Green - True Love - A&M 6. Deon Jackson - When Your Love Is Gone - Carla 7. Sep - Thank You - Pre Release 8. Jimmy Scott - What Am I Gonna Do - Eastbound 9. Carl Sims - I Needed a Woman - (& Donnie Ray - I Never Dreamed! ) Ecko 10. Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over - Dispo

amongst others, so bear in mind it's not a 'Modern' gig, but a Soul Weekender. The most liberated playlist since Clifton Hall or PITCHES!

Look forward to seeing you there. Can't come quick enough for me. Never missed one of 'em.

Plug over... and Payrise Sorted!

As for your gig tomorrow night, sorry, I've got the kids this weekend (God love 'em whistling.gif ).

Will be along soon though.

Hope its a good one for ya!

Take good care.

Sean

Social source share

Soul Music that's truly across the board from all eras.

My last playlist included:

2. Patreece Johnson - You're Watching Over Me - Unreleased Jean Carne - Hello Stranger - Unreleased

Thank You - Pre Release

Just out of interest, I can understand the 'pre-release' as it's modern soul i.e. present day, up for a relesse in the next few weeks?

However, what's with the northern soul stylee 'unreleased' cobblers?

Social source share

However, what's with the northern soul stylee 'unreleased' cobblers?

Love it. whistling.gif

Not Cobblers.. its just old stuff that the guy who owns the rights sent me that's not yet got a deal (if it ever does).

A bit like my old Aleshure & Mighty Clouds of Joy 'unreleased' cobblers... that eventually did!

OK?

Sean

Social source share

Love it. whistling.gif

Not Cobblers.. its just old stuff that the guy who owns the rights sent me that's not yet got a deal (if it ever does).

A bit like my old Aleshure & Mighty Clouds of Joy 'unreleased' cobblers... that eventually did!

OK?

Sorry mate, no offence meant!

Alesure? Sounds like a pissed reply to the misses nagging about not getting round to painting the bathroom, yet again.

Alesure, next week. Fcuk it, I'll sleep down here..............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert