• Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dodger

Winnie,

Guessed you were a man of taste!! Absolutely tremendous record - Corey Glover / Little Girl. Big tune in my car at the moment!!

============

Gorgeous record :lol:thumbsup.gif

Totally at the opposite end of the scale to the majority of the rest of the album, all vile screeching heavy metal, seriously dark and scary stuff.

Came out in 1998 (not me, the Corey Glover CD)!! :wicked:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Totally at the opposite end of the scale to the majority of the rest of the album, all vile screeching heavy metal, seriously dark and scary stuff.

Came out in 1998 (not me, the Corey Glover CD)!! wink.gif

Ive only got it on a compilation CD, so thanks for that - wont bother with the Cory Glover cd!! Great track this one.

Alan

Social source share

Came out in 1998.

================

Steve, I would class it as modern, but in truth I like what I like, so the year doesn't really matter to me.

Rog,

Never heard the album so can't comment, just love that particular track. Rog, know you're a bit of a modern man, would you class it as modern? Said right at the beginning we needed some guidelines. I'd guess most of us commenting are more northern orientated, so don't have the same insight/views as say you or Catriona.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Dodger

================

Steve, I would class it as modern, but in truth I like what I like, so the year doesn't really matter to me.

Rog,

Never heard the album so can't comment, just love that particular track. Rog, know you're a bit of a modern man, would you class it as modern? Said right at the beginning we needed some guidelines. I'd guess most of us commenting are more northern orientated, so don't have the same insight/views as say you or Catriona.

In all seriousness Winnie, this kind of debate is a bit pointless, as is the originals vs CD/pressings debate, these threads go on for a couple of days each time, we all have our own subjective views and people trot out the same contributions and it's all a bit inconclusive as the thread inevitably fizzles out.

People on the soul scene as a whole look upon the term 'modern' in different ways, I don't think it's possible to give guidelines as such. Modern in the true sense of the word means current or recent (which is how I view it), but to somebody who's been into northern for the majority of the time has a tendency to look upon any genre that's newer than 60s as 'modern'. The tag is of no real consequence, like personal taste, it's all subjective and as people have said and as most people know, a good record is a good record regardless. I get as much enjoyment from Dee Dee Warwick 'Don't You Ever Give Up', Millionaires 'Never For Me' and Marvin Gaye 'My Love For You' for example as I do from the best track from the last CD that dropped through the letter box today.

Personally I like 'current' soul music. When I started buying in 1975 I bought brand new releases, same during the 80s, same during the 90s and same as I do now. Now and again I'll have a trawl through boxes and pick up 70s/80s albums I either sold or missed. Tag, schmag, who cares!! thumbsup.gif

I'd class Corey Glover as modern, by the way. :wicked:

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

now here's an funny one, most people who embrace 'modern' northern sounds are open minded enough to accept 'oldies' as well, music is art, art is personal, a painting, a movie, a play, an opera, a soul record will be percieved differently by each and every one of us. we may not like a certain picture or piece of music but we can't say it's shite, because it's art and art is subjective. too deep? sorry but it hacks me off when people say the music i like is shite just because they don't like it, they can only really say that they don't like it, they CAN say it's shite but that don't mean zip and makes him or her sound like a knuckle draggin' self obsessed insecure shallow person because they are not me and are not listening to it with my ears, through my life experiences, so to me it ain't shite, so to me, 'they' are wrong. it's my world i live in, when i die so does it!!!!

Edited by Coops
Social source share

I feel kinda responsible for this thread but nowhere have I said that modern is rubbish. I explained earlier why I chose "Modernsoulsucks". As for modern fans being more open-minded it just strikes me that it's one way traffic. More modern in Northern room but no Northern in modern room.

If Winnie thinks that DJ Genesis and Drizabone fit in a Northern room then I'd suggest that's down to his personal taste and to the fact that in my experience, round the NW, modern is pushing out the 60's so they're gonna fit because the music played is mainly 70's upwards.

We had a similar thread re soulful house and mixing it with 60's Northern. I just can't see how it would work.

Maybe it's time that 60's Northern was in the side room as we appear to be a dying breed

ROD

Social source share

I feel kinda responsible for this thread but nowhere have I said that modern is rubbish. I explained earlier why I chose "Modernsoulsucks". As for modern fans being more open-minded it just strikes me that it's one way traffic. More modern in Northern room but no Northern in modern room.

If Winnie thinks that DJ Genesis and Drizabone fit in a Northern room then I'd suggest that's down to his personal taste and to the fact that in my experience, round the NW, modern is pushing out the 60's so they're gonna fit because the music played is mainly 70's upwards.

We had a similar thread re soulful house and mixing it with 60's Northern. I just can't see how it would work.

Maybe it's time that 60's Northern was in the side room as we appear to be a dying breed

ROD

Great post :huh: And i agree entirly with every word :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dodger

ROD

I emphathise totally with what you're saying, Rod, but with regards to modern in northern rooms, don't you think it's simply the natural order of things, on any scene, to generally incorporate newer music as time moves on? House music is obviously too big a jump for the majority, but isn't playing 70s 'modern' in northern soul rooms a kind of natural progression?

Another question that I often think about is what was the cut off point, when northern soul fans who in the 60s and 70s used to embrace new music and discoveries of the time, stopped liking new and current music and thought to themselves 'I'm sticking to the oldies because that's what I like'? When did that happen?

Roger

Social source share

Modern Soul favs at the moment ( or is it Progressive Northern :lol: , a term given to me by a House Deejay friend )

Creators " I cant believe its true"

Dells " Your Song "

C.Coulter " I cant fight the feeling "

Oscar Perry " Let me do it "

James Day " Better days "

Renee Diggs and Phill Perry " all my love"

and theres more ...... :thumbsup:

:huh:

Social source share

I emphathise totally with what you're saying, Rod, but with regards to modern in northern rooms, don't you think it's simply the natural order of things, on any scene, to generally incorporate newer music as time moves on? House music is obviously too big a jump for the majority, but isn't playing 70s 'modern' in northern soul rooms a kind of natural progression?

Roger

See what your saying there Rodger, but i (speaking from a personal perspective every on has differnt ones) got into this scene because of the 60's music on offer, and thats what i like to here when i got out, you can go to some events with rooms that cater for 70s/modern/crossover/house, but still hear it in there droves in the main room, silly IMO i dont mind some 70's/modern but alot of it doesnt hit the spot, you get alot of people saying you shoul be open minded ect. lets not forget what drives this scene and that is 60's.

Now who is going to give me an hour spot in a modern room so i can play some 'current' soul and soulful house and mix it up with half an hours worth of hard arsed in your face uptempo sixtys........not alot of people i would imagen :huh:

Social source share

Did people actually call it Modern Soul at the Mecca ? I first heard the term used in the early eighties . and then Modern rooms popped up 81, 82 I think ??

It was even a strange term back then... as , in London it was just Soul old or new release ...

Cheers

Simon Murray :huh:

Social source share

ROD

=============

Rod, my first love is 6Ts northern, has been since the early 7Ts, but I still like modern as well. The truth is I prefer it to the R&B and the mid-tempo stuff as I think it's got more ooomph, so maybe it is down to personal preference on my part.

I favour mixing all the genres, because it may help breathe some life into a scene, most of us would prefer had a future, as opposed to being our legacy.

Social source share

Roger

Agree 100% with that Rog..............that would be my justification of why I would expect newer releases in a Northern room as opposed to Northern in a new release room.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest the dukester

:lol:

============

Perhaps you should give some guidelines as in dates: From - To, cos otherwise you're going to get an argument about what constitutes modern?

PS. To save Baz's typing finger

"yes it does suck and it's disco" :D

[/quote

NOT BOTHERED ABOUT MODERN SOUL ,BUT MY LAD SAYS YOUR AVTAR SUCKS WINNIE!!!! :P

T.H.F.C. (THEIRY HENRY FAN CLUB) GOONERS :D

Social source share

ROD

Didn't mean for you to bear the burden of what is always a relevant debate - how soul evolves should be at the heart of the site. But as a gesture of goodwill, I admit that you never protested about Ronnie Walker at the Mecca, I made that bit up. But it got a debate going and your lawyers have very impressive headed notepaper.

In the bizarre world of rare soul Ronnie Walker is 'Old Modern' whereas DC Washington and Ron Carroll are 'Modern Newies'.

Confused you should be. But I Love 'em all.

Social source share

So Stuart you skulk back to the scene of the crime.

Gingerhaired Scotsman. Lethal injection or the Noose. That's nothing personal. Just to get a debate going.

I really have no axe to grind on the relative merits of 60's Northern and whatever eras encompassed by the term "modern". Like Baz I feel that there's gotta be a space for the 60's and particularly 60's new discoveries and right now that space is shrinking. IMO we've already had to fight two rearguard actions to keep the 60's alive [Mecca and Stafford] and Im sure there are enough like-minded people out there who will do just that.

If it means that 60's gets it's own smaller room at venues then that's fine. If the majority of paying customers are happy with an across-the-board musical policy in the main room then as Roger says that's the future of the scene and I certainly don't want to dictate to other people what they ought to listen to.

I think it would be a shame to lose a strong 60's identity and if it was good enough for Butch, Rob,Guy,Keb,Gary etc back in the 80's I can see nothing to suggest that it's the actions of dinosaurs now.

ROD

Social source share

I think it would be a shame to lose a strong 60's identity and if it was good enough for Butch, Rob,Guy,Keb,Gary etc back in the 80's I can see nothing to suggest that it's the actions of dinosaurs now.

ROD

:lol:

Time to reform and bring in the new 60's mafia :P

Social source share

Gingerhaired Scotsman. Lethal injection or the Noose. That's nothing personal. Just to get a debate going.

I really have no axe to grind on the relative merits of 60's Northern and whatever eras encompassed by the term "modern". Like Baz I feel that there's gotta be a space for the 60's and particularly 60's new discoveries and right now that space is shrinking. IMO we've already had to fight two rearguard actions to keep the 60's alive [Mecca and Stafford] and Im sure there are enough like-minded people out there who will do just that.

If it means that 60's gets it's own smaller room at venues then that's fine. If the majority of paying customers are happy with an across-the-board musical policy in the main room then as Roger says that's the future of the scene and I certainly don't want to dictate to other people what they ought to listen to.

ROD

Agree that Butch Keb et al gave a real injection of energy into scene in '80s and also belive, like you, that the co-existence of '60s traditionalism and modern variations of uptempo soul music are vital to future survival. I'll take the lethal injection please. The only thing I've ever protested against was the effluent pop that sometimes got played at Wigan when there was so many great rare 'and undiscovered sounds around. Modern, R&B, Sixties Core Northern and Soulful House are all fine be me. Just make those voices sing soul.

Social source share

ROD

very eloquently put mr shard,people like yourself ,dave,gary,guy,butch and countless others before you built this scene,Personally iv'e just returned to uk after 7 yrs in sth america ,went to a local northern soul night ,sounded like my local tiffanys in the seventies,some of it was soulfull,but a place for everything and everything in its place,are we in danger of forgetting what northern soul is about

Salmon :lol:

Edited by soulsalmon
Social source share

Agree that Butch Keb et al gave a real injection of energy into scene in '80s and also belive, like you, that the co-existence of '60s traditionalism and modern variations of uptempo soul music are vital to future survival. I'll take the lethal injection please. The only thing I've ever protested against was the effluent pop that sometimes got played at Wigan when there was so many great rare 'and undiscovered sounds around. Modern, R&B, Sixties Core Northern and Soulful House are all fine be me. Just make those voices sing soul.

Then, it's the Noose!! You fell Mr. Cosgove into my cunning trap. Wait while I stroke my pussy. That's better. But wait suppose you anticipated my fiendish ruse and really prefer the Noose. Well I anticipated that eventuality too. You will be ravished to death by a rampant elk. Messy but enjoyable in parts. It's the Moose for you.

RODFINGER

Social source share

OOOOh yes Win! Just seeing her name written down gives me the shivers. Fantastic record!! If you don't like this, you have no soul (IMVHO of course)

I have no soul as I find this an absolute dirge and would get more excited listening to the mating cry of a woodlouse :lol:

now here's an funny one, most people who embrace 'modern' northern sounds are open minded enough to accept 'oldies' as well, music is art, art is personal, a painting, a movie, a play, an opera, a soul record will be percieved differently by each and every one of us. we may not like a certain picture or piece of music but we can't say it's shite, because it's art and art is subjective. too deep? sorry but it hacks me off when people say the music i like is shite just because they don't like it, they can only really say that they don't like it, they CAN say it's shite but that don't mean zip and makes him or her sound like a knuckle draggin' self obsessed insecure shallow person because they are not me and are not listening to it with my ears, through my life experiences, so to me it ain't shite, so to me, 'they' are wrong. it's my world i live in, when i die so does it!!!!

It's shite.

Social source share

very eloquently put mr shard,people like yourself ,dave,gary,guy,butch and countless others before you built this scene,Personally iv'e just returned to uk after 7 yrs in sth america ,went to a local northern soul night ,sounded like my local tiffanys in the seventies,some of it was soulfull,but a place for everything and everything in its place,are we in danger of forgetting what northern soul is about

Salmon :lol:

============

When I first came back on the scene about 9 years ago, I wanted to hear sounds I was familiar with. Going out every week all over the country changed that and I wanted to hear different stuff. That hasn't really changed, but of all the different types of music within the scene that I've sampled R&B, mid-tempo etc, I prefer modern. Personally I see it as a natural progression or more of an extension of the northern scene, than the other genre's I've mentioned. It's only a personal opinion, but no one is going to sustain this scene of ours if they only want to hear 6Ts, particularly if they are 6Ts newies devotees. Not enough quality being discovered, and not enough people interested.

Most people on this scene know what they like already, and are never going to be persuaded otherwise, so far better to get fresh blood in, blank canvas as it were, who are not stuck in a time warp. All the genre's will prevail if played together, without the 'togetherness' northern will die. To me, better to have it played alongside soulful house and modern, than to stand by and witness it's extinction, due to bloody mindedness.

Social source share

============

When I first came back on the scene about 9 years ago, I wanted to hear sounds I was familiar with. Going out every week all over the country changed that and I wanted to hear different stuff. That hasn't really changed, but of all the different types of music within the scene that I've sampled R&B, mid-tempo etc, I prefer modern. Personally I see it as a natural progression or more of an extension of the northern scene, than the other genre's I've mentioned. It's only a personal opinion, but no one is going to sustain this scene of ours if they only want to hear 6Ts, particularly if they are 6Ts newies devotees. Not enough quality being discovered, and not enough people interested.

Most people on this scene know what they like already, and are never going to be persuaded otherwise, so far better to get fresh blood in, blank canvas as it were, who are not stuck in a time warp. All the genre's will prevail if played together, without the 'togetherness' northern will die. To me, better to have it played alongside soulful house and modern, than to stand by and witness it's extinction, due to bloody mindedness.

it will go back underground where it started :lol:
Social source share

================

Can't comment as I haven't heard it, have you got a sound clip?

You'll have to turn the speakers up really loud but it's here:

Not too soulful to me though, perhaps a remix would help? :lol:

John.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

I have no soul as I find this an absolute dirge and would get more excited listening to the mating cry of a woodlouse ranting_1.gif

It's shite.

:shades: Welcome back Pete!

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I have no soul as I find this an absolute dirge and would get more excited listening to the mating cry of a woodlouse ranting_1.gif

who asked you?

Social source share

who asked you?

It's a forum isn't it? Therefore, you did. In fact you said

"If you don't like this, you have no soul" which is a statement that needs replying to so if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question in the first place, or something...

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

It's a forum isn't it? Therefore, you did. In fact you said

"If you don't like this, you have no soul" you missed out the IMVHO Pete which is a statement that needs replying to so if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question in the first place, or something...

Pete-"who asked you" was a joke-a reference to your post a few weeks back to Molly.

Social source share

At risk of getting all serious, since now we are into a discussion on Molly the Woodlouse or something, I found this thread quite unsettling.

:(

Not the original post, but some of the debate that followed it.

I really find it hard to accept that a true appreciation of Soul Music should be limited to an 'era'.

To quote Roger Banks, in a recent conversation “If I like the voice of Jerry Butler in the 60's, should I stop appreciating his recordings from the 70's?”

Personally, I just love REAL SOUL MUSIC. That’s it. Period.

:D

I don't give a toss when it was recorded.

I’ve collected Soul records for well over 35 years and in that time have only found that those who are preoccupied with either/any decade (in which a record was made) are limiting their scope for enjoyment and probably missing out on a wealth of fabulous music!

It applies both ways, of course.

I know of 'die-hard' modern fans who believe that Sixties Soul Sucks!

Where are their ears? Are they Soul fans at all?

And why would anyone paint themselves into such a restrictive and discriminatory corner?

During the 70’s, in the pre ‘Modern Soul’ era, there were dozens of superb quality new Soul recordings which were programmed alongside the 60's discoveries of the day, and these were seen (in the main) as having an equal and viable place on the 'Northern' Scene alongside their slightly older peers (I'm thinking of the likes of 'James Fountain' 'Ann Sexton' 'Voices of East Harlem' ‘Lyn Varnado’ ‘Fantastic Puzzles’ etc. here.)

True Soul fans embraced these ‘relatively new releases’ wholeheartedly and they were Massive, right in the middle of the golden era of Northern Soul. Consequently, for almost 30 years, they’ve been very much a part of the staple Northern Oldies play list ever since – Thank the Lord!

An earlier poster, (Vaultofsouler) made mention of the fact that at the ‘post wigan’ Clifton Hall, all eras of Soul Music (60’s / 70’s & 80’s) were played alongside one another – one room, one dance floor, one crowd, all under the banner of Northern Soul. Those (survivors) who were (still around) on the scene (at that time) embraced the policy without question.

It was inevitable. It was logical. It was absolutely tremendous - and the UK (real) Soul scene made some progress during this rich and unfettered period.

IMO It would be good to see such open mindedness fully return.

:shades:

Only negative and retrograde forces created the divisions which followed Clifton Hall, not those who have an appreciation of real Soul music. You know the story. The ‘Modern Scene’ was formed alongside the ‘Sixties Newies!!’ scene (beer towels & black gloves ago-go) and the sad debate (thought dead and buried by the mid 70’s) had reemerged.

Fortunately, as is evident from many of the posts on these boards, I’m encouraged that there are still enough real Soul fans around to support venues that have an ‘across the board’ and truly soulful musical direction (such as ‘Soul Essence’ Yarmouth) meanwhile, along with them, I’ll continue to appreciate and enjoy real Soul music (of all tempos) from all decades and feel the richer and happier for it.

See… :D Me being much happier for it!

Sermon over. Now, get back to the Woodlouse conversation.

Oh.. and favourite 'Modern' record. Too many to mention. I've got absolutely thousands of 'em.

ranting_1.gif

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest Dodger

And I'd bet my house that it's at least 10 fold the other way round, Sean.

Social source share

At risk of getting all serious, since now we are into a discussion on Molly the Woodlouse or something, I found this thread quite unsettling.

I really find it hard to accept that a true appreciation of Soul Music should be limited to an 'era'.

To quote Roger Banks, in a recent conversation "If I like the voice of Jerry Butler in the 60's, should I stop appreciating his recordings from the 70's?"

Personally, I just love REAL SOUL MUSIC. That's it. Period.

I've collected Soul records for well over 35 years and in that time have only found that those who are preoccupied with either/any decade (in which a record was made) are limiting their scope for enjoyment and probably missing out on a wealth of fabulous music!

And why would anyone paint themselves into such a restrictive and discriminatory corner?

During the 70's, in the pre 'Modern Soul' era, there were dozens of superb quality new Soul recordings which were programmed alongside the 60's discoveries of the day, and these were seen (in the main) as having an equal and viable place on the 'Northern' Scene alongside their slightly older peers (I'm thinking of the likes of 'James Fountain' 'Ann Sexton' 'Voices of East Harlem' 'Lyn Varnado' 'Fantastic Puzzles' etc. here.)

True Soul fans embraced these 'relatively new releases' wholeheartedly and they were Massive, right in the middle of the golden era of Northern Soul. Consequently, for almost 30 years, they've been very much a part of the staple Northern Oldies play list ever since - Thank the Lord!

An earlier poster, (Vaultofsouler) made mention of the fact that at the 'post wigan' Clifton Hall, all eras of Soul Music (60's / 70's & 80's) were played alongside one another - one room, one dance floor, one crowd, all under the banner of Northern Soul. Those (survivors) who were (still around) on the scene (at that time) embraced the policy without question.

It was inevitable. It was logical. It was absolutely tremendous - and the UK (real) Soul scene made some progress during this rich and unfettered period.

Only negative and retrograde forces created the divisions which followed Clifton Hall, not those who have an appreciation of real Soul music. You know the story. The 'Modern Scene' was formed alongside the 'Sixties Newies!!' scene (beer towels & black gloves ago-go) and the sad debate (thought dead and buried by the mid 70's) had reemerged.

Fortunately, as is evident from many of the posts on these boards, I'm encouraged that there are still enough real Soul fans around to support venues that have an 'across the board' and truly soulful musical direction (such as 'Soul Essence' Yarmouth) meanwhile, along with them, I'll continue to appreciate and enjoy real Soul music (of all tempos) from all decades and feel the richer and happier for it.

See... :( Me being much happier for it!

Oh.. and favourite 'Modern' record. Too many to mention. I've got absolutely thousands of 'em.

ranting_1.gif

Sean Hampsey

Great reply Sean and agree wholeheartedly.

I'd also go as far as to say that it wasn't until the revival of the 90's and some of the new younger breed of today that soul from other era's seem to get shunned at Northern venues. Throughout the 80's modern soul was championed and accepted at all-nighters by the likes of Adam, Robin, Andy Whitmore, Cliff Steele and others.

I've never understood how someone can say something is crap or shouldn't be played when they probably haven't even listened to it :D

Social source share

To quote Roger Banks, in a recent conversation "If I like the voice of Jerry Butler in the 60's, should I stop appreciating his recordings from the 70's?"

Personally, I just love REAL SOUL MUSIC. That's it. Period.

I've collected Soul records for well over 35 years and in that time have only found that those who are preoccupied with either/any decade (in which a record was made) are limiting their scope for enjoyment and probably missing out on a wealth of fabulous music!

During the 70's, in the pre 'Modern Soul' era, there were dozens of superb quality new Soul recordings which were programmed alongside the 60's discoveries of the day, and these were seen (in the main) as having an equal and viable place on the 'Northern' Scene alongside their slightly older peers (I'm thinking of the likes of 'James Fountain' 'Ann Sexton' 'Voices of East Harlem' 'Lyn Varnado' 'Fantastic Puzzles' etc. here.)

True Soul fans embraced these 'relatively new releases' wholeheartedly and they were Massive, right in the middle of the golden era of Northern Soul. Consequently, for almost 30 years, they've been very much a part of the staple Northern Oldies play list ever since - Thank the Lord!

An earlier poster, (Vaultofsouler) made mention of the fact that at the 'post wigan' Clifton Hall, all eras of Soul Music (60's / 70's & 80's) were played alongside one another - one room, one dance floor, one crowd, all under the banner of Northern Soul. Those (survivors) who were (still around) on the scene (at that time) embraced the policy without question.

Only negative and retrograde forces created the divisions which followed Clifton Hall, not those who have an appreciation of real Soul music. You know the story. The 'Modern Scene' was formed alongside the 'Sixties Newies!!' scene (beer towels & black gloves ago-go) and the sad debate (thought dead and buried by the mid 70's) had reemerged.

Fortunately, as is evident from many of the posts on these boards, I'm encouraged that there are still enough real Soul fans around to support venues that have an 'across the board' and truly soulful musical direction (such as 'Soul Essence' Yarmouth) meanwhile, along with them, I'll continue to appreciate and enjoy real Soul music (of all tempos) from all decades and feel the richer and happier for it.

See... :D Me being much happier for it!

whistling.gif

Sean Hampsey

Couldn't have put it better myself

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert